Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: No subject Feb 16, 2006, 05:30 Tango

Wow, when you hold a grudge....
To be fair to Z it was a BIG cock up on Sony's part and worse, their efforts at fixing it made it worse. With no apology.

There's additional cause for grudge for anyone who knows about programming, given the nature of the program and incompetence of First4Internet and, (I believe) unlicenced code bits in the software.

The Sony thing was a bigger deal than most media (other than internet) gave it credit for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Sony Flat TVs Feb 16, 2006, 01:18 UnderLord

I should have been more clear (like the article!) it was after 1200 hour of Run-Time, not just a clock feature.
So of course the failures would be scattered in time a bit depending on how much you use the set.
I do embedded development for a living, most of my devices have RTCs, some have use counters to advise of maintenance periods. Do you think the screen would do a pop-up saying it's time for a visit by the Sony Techo'?

7. No subject Feb 15, 2006, 20:13 Masa

You *need* a patch for your TV in the first place? Not cool.

No, the fact it can be done is still cool. The fact it needs to be isn't. lol...

And I say all this with an intense dislike of Sony. I'm still boycotting all their products over the DRM fiasco.

Wow, when you hold a grudge....

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 20:20.

6. Re: Sony Flat TVs Feb 15, 2006, 17:50 FourPak

You can patch your TV over cable? Cool.
You *need* a patch for your TV in the first place? Not cool.

5. Re: Holy spec requirements batman Feb 15, 2006, 17:25 John

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 gets held up by this.

Looks like the Blu-ray delay won't help it either.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

4. Holy spec requirements batman Feb 15, 2006, 16:20 MMORPGHoD

Wow, I think I'm going to wait another year before I invest in a high definition TV and player. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 gets held up by this. The average consumer is going to get confused and likely screwed out of actually ending up with a high definition picture when all is said and done.

3. Re: Sony Flat TVs Feb 15, 2006, 16:13 Awesome Spume

You can patch your TV over cable? Cool.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gp32x.com/

2. Re: Sony Flat TVs Feb 15, 2006, 15:31 Zathrus

You would have to wonder why there is ANY long duration counter in the TV software to begin with

Uh, for a clock?

Most newer TVs keep time now, as well as decode guide data from broadcasts. And if these sets are CableCard enabled then they almost certainly need such functionality in order to properly integrate with the cards.

duration for the Planned Obsolescence 'failure' wrong

Yeah, because you'd want them all to fail at the same time! That wouldn't smack of an intentional manufacturing defect that would land your ass in court and provide bad press for the entire duration of the trial.

And I say all this with an intense dislike of Sony. I'm still boycotting all their products over the DRM fiasco.

1. Sony Flat TVs Feb 15, 2006, 14:19 UnderLord

You would have to wonder why there is ANY long duration counter in the TV software to begin with.
My thought is that most likely some programmer got the duration for the Planned Obsolescence 'failure' wrong.
What a disaster if ALL the sets 'fail' during the warranty period!
This deserves serious investigation by some consumer advocate body.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo