Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was going to avoid even attempting to dig out from beneath the couple of feet of snow we got, but MrsBlue guilted me into it. I managed to avoid the heart attack, but I don't know how... we have to be talking about moving a ton of snow, or at least is seemed it.

R.I.P.: 'Jaws' Author Peter Benchley Dies at 65 and Heart Transplant Pioneer Shumway Dies.

Guilty Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Zombie Science. Thanks Bradley.
Javascript Ball Simulation. Thanks Digg.
Story: Shark Frenzy Closes Australian Beaches. Somewhere Peter Benchley is smiling.
Ken gets a makeover, hopes to win back Barbie.
Injured Kwan drops out of Torino Olympics. After dropping in.
Science: Scientists Discover New Assassin Spiders. Cool!
Photos Robots play a new sound of music.
Media: Bermbo's Zoo. Thank Sharon. Wow!
Shotgun Skills. Maybe this was what Cheney was trying?
Auction: Man Says Jesus Appeared In His Pancake.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 14, 2006, 13:02 Warhawk

And so do Bose. Puke.

A friend of mine bought one of those Bose systems with the little cubes and the "bass module" a long time ago because he thought Bose was the schiznit.

I reminded him of the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" saying (for their little "cube" setups). They never had those Bose in the same room as "real" satellites since they sounded like crap in a direct comparison.

"Bass module" - yech. A couple 6" drivers in a special box is not a replacement for a true sub.

He has Paradigm stuff now.

I have no idea what your budget for speakers is, but if you could swing for flat panel speakers (Magnepan is the most well known, and the leaders, but there are others now) then I bet you could beat the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) with them -- they're about the depth of a picture frame and can be mounted flat on the wall with no loss in sound quality. You do need a good sub though since they produce no bass whatsoever.

Right now, I don't either. Another thing to look into - thanks.

Again, I think I'll just go talk to a few places about speaker options once the plans are finished and see what they recommend. I am a big proponent of bang-for-the-buck, hence the reason I got Energy speakers on a good deal last time. I'll need to do some research and watch for deals later this year.

Thanks again, all!

Jeremy, I am so ready to take it to the next level.
Really?
Yeah. Do you want to watch me with another girl? How about those Brazilian twins we met at the ball game?

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 13:04.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 14, 2006, 09:46 Zathrus

their speakers used a patented method

And so do Bose. Puke.

DefTech is known for decent speakers, but not really high end ones. Not like, oh say, Vandersteen, Magnepan, and numerous others.

Rather than one-directional their speakers are built to project sound in several concurrent directions.

This is wrong on several levels. There is no such thing as a one-directional speaker (despite many, many attempts to defy the laws of physics by speaker manufacturers -- such a thing would be very valuable indeed!), although most speakers do attempt to project sound in a particular direction. But bi/tripolar designs exist from a multitude of manufacturers that exist specifically for use as surrounds. And all of that is irrelevant anyway since the more recent multi-channel designs suggest direct speakers for the side surrounds instead of bi/tripolar designs.

Speaking of which... Warhawk, I have no idea what your budget for speakers is, but if you could swing for flat panel speakers (Magnepan is the most well known, and the leaders, but there are others now) then I bet you could beat the SAF (spousal acceptance factor) with them -- they're about the depth of a picture frame and can be mounted flat on the wall with no loss in sound quality. You do need a good sub though since they produce no bass whatsoever.

56. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 14, 2006, 08:59 WarPig

Their rears alone are tri-angular. Sound is projected left, right and front. The point is with DefTech’s speakers you can achieve a quasi-7.1 channel.

Sounds great (and expensive), but WH needs to flush mount the rears and these would be impossible for that.

-------------------------------------------------------
Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

55. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 14, 2006, 00:57 Kxmode

I'm not looking for top-o-the-line stuff, just decent quality at a good price. A big, clean picture and decent sound is all I ask!

You want top-of-the-line speakers. Without them your home theater would be like a Ferrari 599 GTB without the powerful 6,000cc, V12, 620 BHP engine! The same goes true for television... but audio is in my humble opinion MORE important than the television.

The reason I recommend DefTech is their speakers used a patented method. No other speaker company in the world can legally duplicate DefTech’s speaker style. What’s the style? Rather than one-directional their speakers are built to project sound in several concurrent directions. Their rears alone are tri-angular. Sound is projected left, right and front. The point is with DefTech’s speakers you can achieve a quasi-7.1 channel.

If you locate a retailer in your area with their speakers go visit their showroom and bring along a copy of Saving Private Ryan. You will hear and feel the difference.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode
This comment was edited on Feb 14, 01:05.

54. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 23:53 Warhawk

Warhawk, you can keep the sub….but do NOT mix and match speakers for a surround sound system. They all need to be the same (except the center, but it still needs to be of equal ‘settings’ as its partner, it is just a little bigger). It will not work well and it will just cause you a lot more trouble if you mix and match them.

Sorry - I meant I'd either try to find some Energy flush-mounts to match (if such a creature exists - haven't looked yet) or get new ones all around that match (same brand and tonal qualities).

You may want to reconsider... that sub is likely to be waaaay too small for that large of a room. By a long shot.

Could be, but that thing ROCKS for a 10" sub, and again, I don't need the boomy bass, just some low-end thump. I really don't crank my system THAT loud, so I'll try it, and if it isn't sufficient, I will get a new one.

actually flush into the ceiling?

Yes, flush-mount, I should have been more specific.

but all the ceiling flush mount ones are in the "wow, those suck" range, particularly for surrounds.

As for speaker placement -- you'll want the surrounds somewhere near the couch. The rear speakers should go on or near the back wall.

As for brands -- hey, if you like Energy, go for it. They're decent speakers at a decent price. I like Paradigm a lot, and there's also PSB. You may want to check out www.goodsound.com for more info -- they used to be good (a couple years ago); dunno now. And if you want to get inundated with advice, there's always www.avsforums.com

Thanks for the tips - flush-mount is the ONLY way I am going to get surrounds in there, so I don't have any choice. Marital bliss, and all that stuff.

I know in general where to put them, but was wondering if anyone had some concrete distances to use as a rule of thumb, you know, for a 10' ceiling I should start with the speakers at x ft away from listening position and see where that puts them, etc. I don't want to have them too far apart. I may just have to go talk with the pros (Paradigm, The Home Theater Company, etc, local folks who do this all the time) once I get final floorplans finished.

I've always been a fan of PSBs. Very nice sound, and usually well priced, too.

As far as speaker placement/tuning goes, you might take a look at the Avia Guide to Home Theatre:

(Amazon) http://tinyurl.com/do5ev

It's got a shit-ton of industry-standard tests and clear instructions on using them that will get you properly set up in no time.. Too bad about the insanely dorky hosts you need to endure, because the tests are all excellent (and you'll probably only need to endure the hosts once).. Worth it though if you like to be sure things are tweaked just right

(People say this one is good as well:

http://tinyurl.com/cf7ab

but I can't say from experience, so YMMV)

Thanks - I'll look into those.

stay away from anything higher than 5.1. The reason is two-fold. First the only time 7.1 surround truly works is when the setup is in a large auditorium-style room

extra two however will drown out into the existing five. Granted 7.1 is awesome for bragging rights but it's also an unnecessary expense.

OK, I hadn't heard that, but I will dig into that a bit and see. I already have the receiver, so the extra cost would just be in the speakers and wiring, which is easy if you are doing it during construction.

Definitive Technology builds some of the best home theater speakers (http://www.definitivetech.com/)

Thanks, another one to check out!

I'm not looking for top-o-the-line stuff, just decent quality at a good price. A big, clean picture and decent sound is all I ask!

Really?
Yeah. Do you want to watch me with another girl? How about those Brazilian twins we met at the ball game?

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 00:09.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

53. Re: Hot dammmnnnn Feb 13, 2006, 22:57 Creston

Um, Creston, over half of those are drawings...

Duh, but they still show that they're making a similar style game, with huge island levels and such

Creston

52. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 22:41 Kxmode

I've have experience setting up many home theaters for friends. I will tell you what I tell them... stay away from anything higher than 5.1. The reason is two-fold. First the only time 7.1 surround truly works is when the setup is in a large auditorium-style room (like say an actual movie theater). In most homes the space is too small (even in the living room; unless of course you live in a mansion then nevermind). Secondly when sound travels in small environments there's not enough of a distance for the human ear to distinguish seven channels of sound. Most true home theater experts recommend 5.1 because you'll always hear the existing five. The extra two however will drown out into the existing five. Granted 7.1 is awesome for bragging rights but it's also an unnecessary expense. The better solution is to spend top-dollar on five solid speakers built specifically for theater sound. Definitive Technology builds some of the best home theater speakers (http://www.definitivetech.com/) I had my fronts, center, and rear pair for over 3 years and they sound exactly the same the first day I set them up. I'm amazed every time I watch Saving Private Ryan.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

51. Re: Hot dammmnnnn Feb 13, 2006, 20:49 WarPig

Check out the latest game from Crytek...Now that looks very, very promising.

Wow, almost too promising. I think my processor and vid card started overheating just by showing the text of what they're planning to do. Honestly, being able to run all those features at the same time seems like it would take something several generations ahead of what's available now - but then again, who knows when this'll come out. Looks cool though, very cool.

Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

50. Re: Hot dammmnnnn Feb 13, 2006, 20:46 nin

Is it possible to have sex with a website?

Um, Creston, over half of those are drawings...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

49. Re: snow Feb 13, 2006, 20:40 Masa

I see you read the second half of my post.

Yes, it's called sarcasm. Har har. Get it?

*Shrug*

Shrug, people in the midwest and NE seem to think that their summers are as bad or worse than ours, so why are they putting up with the craptastic winters?

Well, they kind of are. The only thing bad about the Georgian climate is the humidity. New England get's hammered almost every year with a blizzard. But ah...people kind of live in those areas because they're born there...or they really don't want to move...or they have jobs...or any number of reasons. I suppose you're happy where you're at in the US and won't move to say...Taiwan anytime soon?

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 20:59.

48. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 20:34 WarPig

As far as speaker placement/tuning goes, you might take a look at the Avia Guide to Home Theatre:

Very cool, and what's cooler, Netflix actually has this.

Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

47. Hot dammmnnnn Feb 13, 2006, 19:58 Creston

Is it possible to have sex with a website?

Check out the latest game from Crytek...

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3147944

Now that looks very, very promising. It's not Farcry 2, but it seems those bigass levels are still in there, so who cares if you're not playing as Jack Carver. Give me more 5km island luv!!!!

Creston

46. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 19:26 MeatForce

there's also PSB.

I've always been a fan of PSBs. Very nice sound, and usually well priced, too.

(Amazon) http://tinyurl.com/do5ev

It's got a shit-ton of industry-standard tests and clear instructions on using them that will get you properly set up in no time.. Too bad about the insanely dorky hosts you need to endure, because the tests are all excellent (and you'll probably only need to endure the hosts once).. Worth it though if you like to be sure things are tweaked just right

(People say this one is good as well:

http://tinyurl.com/cf7ab

but I can't say from experience, so YMMV)

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

45. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 18:58 Zathrus

I plan to recycle the sub into my new system

You may want to reconsider... that sub is likely to be waaaay too small for that large of a room. By a long shot.

All the surrounds will need to be ceiling-mounted.

What do you mean by that? Just hanging on mounts from the ceiling, or actually flush into the ceiling?

If the former, any speaker can do that with the right mounts (I have Omnimounts, but there's a wide variety available nowadays). If the latter -- forget it. Just forget it now. There are some decent in-wall speakers available now, but all the ceiling flush mount ones are in the "wow, those suck" range, particularly for surrounds.

As for speaker placement -- you'll want the surrounds somewhere near the couch. The rear speakers should go on or near the back wall.

As for brands -- hey, if you like Energy, go for it. They're decent speakers at a decent price. I like Paradigm a lot, and there's also PSB. You may want to check out www.goodsound.com for more info -- they used to be good (a couple years ago); dunno now. And if you want to get inundated with advice, there's always www.avsforums.com

44. Re: Home Theater 7.1 setup question Feb 13, 2006, 18:54 Enahs

Warhawk, you can keep the sub….but do NOT mix and match speakers for a surround sound system. They all need to be the same (except the center, but it still needs to be of equal ‘settings’ as its partner, it is just a little bigger). It will not work well and it will just cause you a lot more trouble if you mix and match them.

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

43. Re: snow Feb 13, 2006, 18:47 Zathrus

People don't whine about the humidity in Georgia?

I see you read the second half of my post.

Shrug, people in the midwest and NE seem to think that their summers are as bad or worse than ours, so why are they putting up with the craptastic winters?

42. Re: Biker vs. Squirrel Feb 13, 2006, 18:38 MeatForce

Picture a new scene.

SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!!! I think that story's the funniest damn thing I've ever read!!

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

41. Re: Biker vs. Squirrel Feb 13, 2006, 17:39 WarPig

Rabies shot time...

Great story, but I don't think Killer Kane is saying that this actually happened to him (if that's what you're inferring).

Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

40. Re: Biker vs. Squirrel Feb 13, 2006, 17:39 zincthallinide

That was good stuff. Luckily you survived. Squirrels are pretty smart. If they were really smart they would realize they could swarm us and defeat us all (ditto for ants).. someday, my friend.

39. Re: Biker vs. Squirrel Feb 13, 2006, 17:33 Warhawk

I decided it was best to just buy myself a new pair of gloves. And a whole lot of Band-Aids.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a looong time.

Good luck with the rabies shot!

Really?

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo