Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dear Diaries - Halo 2 PC

A new Diary on Bungie.net (thanks Frans and HBO) offers flashbacks to the announcement of Halo for the Xbox as Bungie responds to reactions to news that Halo 2 PC will be exclusively for Windows Vista. The update touts the OS's advertised advantages (so that warm liquid running down your neck right now is rain) and goes on to discuss how the game will differ on the PC in the areas of customization and matchmaking. Also, a new Prey Weekly Development Update #5 on the 3D Realms Website offers the latest in their weekly series on the upcoming shooter sequel, discussing portal puzzles, combat tweaking, AI, and more, going on to invite questions readers might have about the game.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 07:08 Kevlar

Arrogant blog post? I thought it was spot-on accurate.

"...Microsoft will take full advantage of our game."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 04:15 Optimaximal

From what I hear, Vista is not going to be utilizing any new kernel or such.
I'd assumed it was, given that it is in effect Windows 6.0 (2K, XP & 2K3 were simply 5.0, 5.1 & 5.2 respectively)... They wouldn't jump version numbers without a significant change in the core code...

Anyway, it's got an entirely new scripting system as well... Laterz Win32

39. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 00:06 Prez

Sorry Riley - I have to disagree. The kernel for ME and 98SE were identical to 98 which, as we all know released in 1997. SE and ME were marginal upgrades, and ME broke as much as it fixed.

XP was the first real new OS from Microsoft since 98.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 21:54 kanniballl

First, neither Windows 98SE (released July 1999) nor Windows ME (2000) were seven years old when Doom 3 was released in 2004.

Not quite accurate. Win98SE was essentially Win98 with a few extra features that were missing from Win98; nothing from the core OS. If I remember correctly, Win98 came out towards the end of 1997. As for WinME, I don't recall. I do remember that Win2k came out towards the end of 99 (like fall) so I'd image that was the case as well.

The big deal was, 98 and ME are a completely different animal than 2000 and XP. 98 and ME were based on Dos+Win95, while 2000 and XP were based on the NT kernel.

From an operating systems design standpoint, the 2 kernels/architectures were different enough to warrant abandoning and they'd really be forking their support across the 2 designs.

From what I hear, Vista is not going to be utilizing any new kernel or such. Merely a new FileSystem and graphics engine. However, knowing MS they will simply drop DirectX support for XP and 2000 because "we only want to support the new graphics engine now."

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

37. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 17:57 aldo_14

aldo_14, what I meant specfically was why does anyone care about Halo anymore? There's better stuff out there minus the constant drama surrounding this one. I'm not part of it, so I can't say for sure, but it just seems like it's always toying with the fans.

It is, though one of MS' key 'brands' for gaming, though. I think it's daft financially because of obvious reasons (barely a current gen game), but to me it'd be a worrying trend if carried over to more games from different publishers.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

36. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 14:51 Riley Pizt

as making a game backwards compatible for a 7 year old OS was a dubious undertaking, both practically and technically.
First, neither Windows 98SE (released July 1999) nor Windows ME (2000) were seven years old when Doom 3 was released in 2004. Second, Doom 3 and Quake 4 will both run on Windows 98SE and ME if a single function call to obtain the installed RAM on a system is patched. Such a patch can be downloaded from a variety of places online.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 14:52.

35. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 14:33 MeatForce

'm still waiting for someone to name one POSITIVE feature in Vista that will have a significant impact on a PC gamer such as myself.

I heard a rumour that when you fire up a game, it was supposed to un-load all unnecessary DLLs and such, freeing up as many resources for running the game as possible..

Not sure if that's true (maybe someone like Sponge who's actually used it can comment), but if it is, then I could see that as being one thing that's a step in the right direction.. I've always thought MS should develop a gaming OS that did that.

Either way, I'd have been interested in this news if the game was Gears of War or something, but a port of H2? Nuh uh. $10 says they don't even bother to make the cutscenes work right..

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

34. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 14:31 MyRealName

aldo_14, what I meant specfically was why does anyone care about Halo anymore? There's better stuff out there minus the constant drama surrounding this one. I'm not part of it, so I can't say for sure, but it just seems like it's always toying with the fans.

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

33. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 13:51 sponge

Unrelated, but I got bored so I installed Vista onto a partiton, it's a neat OS. Damn bloated though-- from a clean startup, 50 proceses running, 900MB commit charge. Granted that was with the eye candy turned all the way up (and boy is there eye candy)

But I was even able to install the latest ATI drivers WITHOUT REBOOTING (and it also included default ones that worked in games) and sound. Infact, I haven't been able to make it want to reboot yet.

32. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 13:37 StaTik

There are no positve reasons other then it will fund the MS bank roll. It's just sad that most people will suffer penus envy once the screen shots start rolling out and go buy the damn thing.
This is only my 2nd year with WindowsXP I used 2k forever and I don't see changing my OS for another 2 years after Vista comes out.

OGL needs to make a big come back on Linux or Sony needs to port there direct hardware code into a PC OS.

31. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 13:17 Overon

I'm still waiting for someone to name one POSITIVE feature in Vista that will have a significant impact on a PC gamer such as myself.
On Microsoft's Vista site under gamers the below is all that they have.

A "My Games" Fodler with thumbnails showing every game you have is worthless to me.

Parental controls are also worthless to me.

I know the OS will have DRM. Which limits what I can do on my own machine. That's not positive to me. It's my machine.

I know it's going to have higher system requirements and thus as a result games are going to have higher system requirements.

In the end I think MS is just going to do what they did in the past: Refuse to release Direct X for XP anymore and eventually if you want to play a game you won't be able to play it on your old version of Direct X.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 13:26.

30. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 11:47 aldo_14

What I don't understand is, why does anyone give a damn? The whole Halo-PC-not-PC-PC-again-not-PC-again thing is tiring by now, isn't it? So why participate?

Talk back with your wallets. Tell them to shove their game and platform dependency up their collective ass. Seems simple enough to me. There's better anyway.

I would have thought it was obvious; people want to play games, and they don't want to find out they have to spend a load of cash on an Os that they neither want nor need, particularly when appearances suggest that Os itself will have shockingly high hardware demands. And, unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to stand in the way of - for lack of a better term - profiteering and monopolising when it's virtually a one company market.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

29. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 11:35 MyRealName

What I don't understand is, why does anyone give a damn? The whole Halo-PC-not-PC-PC-again-not-PC-again thing is tiring by now, isn't it? So why participate?

Talk back with your wallets. Tell them to shove their game and platform dependency up their collective ass. Seems simple enough to me. There's better anyway.

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

28. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 09:26 General Ego

saying Bungie is only doing this in order to stay on good terms with M$ like Dell needs to stay on good terms with Intel is a bit of a stretch, considering Bungie BELONGS to M$, they're not what Dell is to Intel, they're what the Redwood Shores studios are to EA, ie. they have no other option than to say what their bosses demand, period, and therefore I'm not the slightest bit surprised

Nor do I care because I honestly don't need Halo 2 on the PC two years after I played it on the Xbox, while I could play Sin Episodes, ET: Quake Wars or even FEAR and HL2 instead. And I'm certainly not gonna migrate to Vista just because Billy wants me to, I still run Win2k and it is just as good as XP or better, no need to upgrade just to get more useless bling bling on my desktop which I'll disable anyway, no need to go after the ultimate DRM-OS, no need to get yet another bloated piece of dung OS by Microsoft just because it's new.

But I understand those who are disappointed because they were looking forward to play Halo 2 with mouse and keyboard, and with the chance to get some user created content (not to mention hardcore PC gamers who will never touch one of those dreaded consoles =D). And besides the "Microsoft's execs told us to" issue, it's more than questionable if a Halo 2 port really requires the Vista platform (I assume they're gonna use D3D 10) unless they redo the whole game with "DX10" graphics, which I say is pointless unless you also redo the pretty average gameplay, and looking at Halo PC the possibility for this happening are pretty small

yeah I know, TLDR...

-WoW-
Massive
60 Orc Hunter
Zul'jin

|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

27. No subject Feb 12, 2006, 07:27 CeeJay

I still remember when Halo came out on the PC.
Too little , too late.
And too repetitive :
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/11/28

My guess is that Halo 2 will be much the same, with the added bonus that it will require an expensive OS "upgrade" that is likely to slow down your system, with it's huge requirements just like every other OS that MS have ever released.

I can't wait .. I'm just so hyped about it ..
.. really

I'm the developer of SweetFX

26. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 04:54 Beaner

Yeah (Prez) I guess you just cant play until the time comes when you upgrade to Vista. You are not alone. Like many Im not going to update to Vista when its released. I may update after a 2nd or 3rd service pack and if there is some dire reason to update. Yes Vista will have some cool features, but for the most part XP gives me everything I need other than maybe some of the new GUI things in Vista etc. IE7 will be released for XP and other games will run on XP as well. If there is some uber performance difference in games with Vista, well then that will make folks want to upgrade. Most Halo fans will be playing Halo 3 by that time on the XBOX anyways.

Meanwhile all the mulitplayer gaming enthusiasts will be playing real mulitplayer games like Quake Wars, Prey etc on their PC's ;P.

25. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 03:29 Prez

Beaner:

I hear you. Anyway, it's not like Bungie is going to suffer just because the majority of PC gamers won't be upgrading to Vista just to play a 2 year old port (Presumably how old the game will be when it ships for PC). Halo 2 was already a massive hit for Xbox.

I was one of those fools people looking forward to a PC release of Halo 2. Now I can pretty much forget about it unless I happen to win a free copy of Vista the week it comes out. Like I said before, 98 and ME sucked, but XP is a fine OS and not in need of replacing anytime soon.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. No subject Feb 12, 2006, 03:15 Dev

That comment about EA owning the bat and ball is SO frigging accurate. And funny.

23. No subject Feb 12, 2006, 03:08 Arkay

I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, but I think I'm faily knowledgable about somethings and while I understand reasons for disliking Microsoft as a corporation, including dirty business tactics they've used in the past, reluctance to embrace open-source, and strong arming smaller (and sometimes better) competitors into submission, a lot of us are running their OS. Sure, we don't "want" to, we "have" to...but if you really can diss them in every post, at least run linux or buy a mac or something.

Look, I don't like MS much either, I don't like the 360...I don't like any company that has so much money and such an inexhaustible amount of resources that they can have failed experiments like their video game division and lose billions and still pump out new stuff. And I don't like pointless OS released like Windows ME, which I really hated. But Windows XP works pretty well for my needs IMO. I never had a problem with their activation system, even though a majority of people got their panties in a twist...I never understood it...I mean, they've gotta try SOMETHING (and in the past its not like I had bought every iteration of windows if you know what I mean, but XP was worth it to get away from 98/ME)

So while I think its rather unfair to the fan base to force people to buy Vista, I had every intention of buying it upon its release, so I don't care that a new game would require it? Are people upset because they don't want to spend 100-200 bucks on Windows Vista, or is it a principle thing? Because honestly, if Vista does some of the things they say it will, it WILL be a better OS...

Anyways, I'm not an MS fanboy and I'd rather not get flamed or anything...I'm just trying to understand why you people are so frickin upset by this, that's all...

22. Re: No subject Feb 12, 2006, 00:37 Beaner

Is it just me or was that diary entry by Bungie pretentious and arrogant?

Bungie is a dev "company". They are a business just like MS or EA is a business. They have business relationship with Microsoft etc. Just like Dell has a business relationship with Intel, evn though Dell is trying to avoid a quagmmire with Intel because they are losing money not providing PC's with AMD chips.

You'll never hear Dell say: "Intel is being a bit of an ass because they are angry we are evaluating AMD chips in light of our agreements made over the last several years".

Bungie is in the same situation. Its very beneficial to be in good standing with MS if thats your core publisher and importantly, someone providing big advertising dollars to promote your product. At the end of the day you have to feed your family, pay the mortgage etc.

The best thing here is to forget this. Its really not that big a deal. The only folks that will be hurt with this decision are the masses of Halo 2 fans that may have been looking forward to Halo 2 on the PC for the custom mapping, user developed content etc. Those folks are in a world of hurt, and I question these tactics because we all know how stronghanded tactics by publishers have killed a franchise, but hey, as much as some of you hated Steam, it sure as hell didnt kill Half Life 2.

These companies know when they have you hooked on a product, and if the demand is there, they will do what they can get away with. Someday as the industry matures, you'll have the big industry control companies like EA, MS etc, but you'll also see new startups that will make their markwho make and distribute games for game enthusiasts without all the bullcrap. Look what technology and the internet have done to the music industry. All of a sudden the big fat studios that controlled delivery and the crazy markup on music are shaking in their boots because the tables have been turned. All of a sudden the user is in control. It all comes around in cycles.

And for those of you on win 95, 98, ME. Oh my god you really need to upgrade. You do realize they are completely unsupported. Get on the NT kernel or get Linux.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 00:45.

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo