Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS ♥s PC Gaming

Moore Pledges PC Games Renaissance on Next Generation (thanks Firingsquad and Ant) relates some of what was discussed at Peter Moore's session today at the DICE Summit, with Microsoft taking responsibility for allowing the PC games market to decline. He goes on to say they are poised to reverse that trend based on a reorganization, and an optimistic view of how Windows Vista will help:

He said that Microsoft's recent reorganization would help the company "focus on the games business as a standalone business."

"Previously, we operated under separate units," he said. "Everything is now being brought together to build truly cohesive, integrated marketing."

"The future is about PC games and Vista is at the vanguard of that."

He said that Vista would drive PC upgrades which would help game sales, and gave an impressive demonstration of how Vista improves the gaming experience through better file organization.

Moore once again put the pressure on his own company to push game sales. "We have seen years of decline in PC games retail sales. As a platform holder, we need to drive sales."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: ... Feb 11, 2006, 18:50 CJ_Parker

I think some of you guys worry too much. Same stupid drama as every time MS releases a new OS. I remember that there was much drama about privacy protection when XP was released.
However, XP AntiSpy and similar tools came out almost simultaneously and eventually most people made the migration.
It will be the same with Vista.
Someone's gonna release AntiDRM (or sth like that) so you can disable the entire DRM parts of Vista et voilá... everyone's going to switch to Vista (even more so and especially if 64Bit versions of Vista are going to have an edge over the 32Bit versions and since Vista64 will prolly get a lot more support driver-wise etc. than XP64).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. ... Feb 11, 2006, 10:14 wtf_man

1. I will never install bloatware / drmfest vista.
2. I will never install bloatware / drmfest vista.
3. I will never install bloatware / drmfest vista.

When games stop running on XP... I'm done with PC gaming. In the meantime, I already use linux for just about everything else.

18. Uh oh Feb 11, 2006, 00:04 Kxmode

Whenever you see crap like this it usually means the opposit.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

17. Deja vu Feb 10, 2006, 21:58 Chris Robbers

Don't they put out this same press release every time a new Windows version comes out -- about how it's going to "revolutionize" PC gaming? PC won't and never will compete with the console market, it will always be a niche market (I'm not dogging it, I've been a PC gamer for many years).

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 21:58.

16. Re: Huh? Feb 10, 2006, 20:22 The Half Elf

Yeah push PC Games sales by not making everything for Xbox Only. Fucking Hipocrit.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Huh? Feb 10, 2006, 20:01 Orogogus

I think it would be nice if installing games to the hard drive was the same as on modded Xbox and (I hear) Macs. Namely, you just drag the folder over to where you want the files to go, and generate the shortcuts. No install menus, no registry machinations and for the love of Mike no messing around with DLLs in Windows folders. For casual gamers, it wouldn't hurt to let games run from the CD/DVD drive (especially if it gets companies to start releasing games on DVDs).

14. Re: Huh? Feb 10, 2006, 19:51 Overon

If there was ever a propoganda piece this is it. Microsoft wants to sell Vista. And having PC gamers buy Vista is a huge for sales of Vista. So they will say anything like "We admit that we are responsible for the decline in PC gaming." And they will say say that Vista will better PC gaming.

However, face reality and ask your self this: Can anyone name one significant thing that Vista will bring for PC gamers. I know one thing that it will bring without a single doubt, and that's higher system requirements.

The only way MS can get PC gamers to purchase Vista quickly is by making games incompatible for XP. Like they are doing with Halo 2...

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 19:53.

13. Huh? Feb 10, 2006, 19:48 Billy Bob

"gave an impressive demonstration of how Vista improves the gaming experience through better file organization."

Maybe that should be their new motto: "Superior Gaming through better file organization"

What the hell could this demo have been?

12. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 19:39 Acleacius

Cough, Bullshit, cough, Bullshit!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

11. Bah Feb 10, 2006, 19:20 Dreagon

Microsoft is doing exactly what for PC gaming? It is microsofts influence that is getting TESIV: Oblivion turned into a watered down crossplatform product. If anything, Microsoft is one of the guiltiest parties out there for the decline of the PC.

------
Carpe Papilla

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 19:13 aldo_14

Bitch abot this or not, it's good news for PC gaming.

Not if they use it to focus the market upon specific Windows versions and thus force the older OS users to upgrade from versions that run perfectly well. I suspect they're doing this to tie games into Vista and thus make money of the people who can be coerced into upgrading (gamers, obv) in order to compensate for business lost to open source, etc, alternatives. I'd imagine they'll also tie in and justify restrictive DRM to both Vista and the game. Perhaps even try to make more money out licensing the Windows 'platform' in the same way as for console manufacturers. End game of MS, I imagine, would be to merge the Vista-Pc with the Xbox360 in the sense of having a living room PC (more machines to flog OS' for)

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

9. heh Feb 10, 2006, 19:06 Bludd

MS wants to truth PC gaming up the butt.

8. I see. Feb 10, 2006, 18:06 Of Rock Star Fame

As a platform holder, we need to drive sales

I guess the Halo 2 press release is evidence of that, still seems weak though, announce Halo 3 "Vista only" then we may be talking.

Edit: My English teacher hated me.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 18:07.

7. In other news... Feb 10, 2006, 18:04 Avrus

EA vows to make their games not suck so hard with Windows Vista, pledging the new operating system will make them actually test games before releasing them.

6. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2006, 17:51 Burrito of Peace

is not the way to revise the PC as a gaming platform...

Actually, it's the perfect way to revise the platform but it is a bad way to revive the platform as a whole.

5. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 17:46 Optimaximal

Forcing people to upgrade to a new OS (and thus purchase new hardware to run said OS) is not the way to revive the PC as a gaming platform...

edit - fucking typo

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 17:54.

4. Re: Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 17:44 Squirmer

I like the idea of MS promoting PC games, and it's probably a necessary thing, but I doubt they're talking PC-exclusives. I'm sure they will encourage more messy cross-platform games that just don't suit one platform or the other. So it's good news to a degree, but also a continuation of a different problem.

3. Re: Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 17:36 StaTik

"He said that Vista would drive PC upgrades"

Have you ever had an MS game that ran smoothly out of the box? I havn't, it ueally took me a year or more for an upgrade that would make an MS title run smooth. I think with Vista we have alot of chop in new games to look forword to. If anything this will make people hold off on buying new games much like they hold off on buying new OS's from MS untill they have hardware that will run it and/or the bugs are worked out.

I knew MS was going to shaft the gamers hard on this one.

2. Re: Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 17:28 Burrito of Peace

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I've got some beachfront property in Kansas to sell too.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 17:28.

1. Very Nice Feb 10, 2006, 17:26 MuzixMon

Bitch abot this or not, it's good news for PC gaming.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo