Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Halo 2 for Windows Vista Planned

Master Chief Dual-Wields His Way to Windows Vista (thanks ToTheGame) is the press release revealing plans for a version of Bungie's shooter sequel on the next edition of Windows:

"Halo 2," the award-winning sequel to the instant classic "Halo: Combat Evolved" to make its PC debut on the Windows Vista platform

"Halo 2," the game that redefined first-person combat and multiplayer action for millions of gamers worldwide, is set to explode onto PCs exclusively for Windows Vista. "Halo 2" for Windows Vista will be developed by a dedicated Microsoft Game Studios team in partnership with Bungie Studios.

Only for Windows Vista, "Halo 2" will offer gamers both the single-player campaign and multiplayer experience of the original, as well as the additional maps offered in the "Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack." Gamers will also have the exciting opportunity to build, create and customize their own multiplayer levels.

"Halo: Combat Evolved" and its sequel, "Halo 2," have achieved phenomenal success on the Xbox video game platform as gamers around the world follow the saga of Master Chief in his battle against the Covenant forces. In 2003, the original "Halo" roared onto Windows PCs. In "Halo 2" for Windows Vista, the action picks up where the first game ended. Master Chief, with the help of a small group of marines, has destroyed the religious artifact and artificial world known as "Halo," and is making his way back to Earth. There, he and the last surviving Earth forces will mount a titanic struggle against the marauding Covenant enemy. To date, the Halo franchise has sold more than 14.5 million games worldwide with over 600 million hours of multiplayer action logged across Microsoft’s Xbox Live online gaming service.

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

138. Re: This disaster all started with Halo. May 2, 2007, 19:47 Elfranche

Burnt Soul, you made my day! Your comments are brilliant, I didnt expect to see such exactess in gaming views today. too bad you dont provide an email.

Signed: hardcore PC gamer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

137. Re: No subject Feb 17, 2006, 09:13 Animals for Crackers

I remember reading up on Halo before it was hijacked and handed over to consoles. I remember them calling it a "Tribes-killer" and it was going to be designed for multiplay.

Still a few gameplay vids/screenies floating about somewhere on the Net of that project (3rd person shooter/pseudo-RTS) before it all turned to shit. Mac players at the time were infuriated.

Personally I'm still bummed that they let the Myth franchise go...but considering how much Halo was changed because of console-itis, I really am kindof relieved Myth remains untainted.

Edit: Which begs the question from me...does anyone know of any services/game browsers etc...that still support Myth 2 Multiplay where people are still actively playing the game, I've looked into it a bit since Bungie.net was shut down (a retarded move says me) but no luck..any info would be appreciated, thanks. Itching to play some 8 player CTF on one of the best RTS ever made...:o

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 11:11.

136. No subject Feb 15, 2006, 10:16 xXBatmanXx

'd rather play through Halo 2 again 10 more times than Half Life 2 for a third, despite it's mouse control, silky smooth framerates and high resolution graphics. A game needs to make you forget it's game, and this only happens when the controls are so sweet you don't have to think about them. Bring on Bungie's next FPS/RTS/MMORPG or whatever please.

You must work at MSFT. Consoles are the suc dude.
Get over it.
I was a Nintendo fanboy until PC surpassed them years ago.

I bought a PS2 for 3 games.
I now own 8 games in 5 years.
I now have those 8 games on my PC - they all look better, play better, I can customize them, when I save games I don't have to worry about paying another 30 bux for another piece of shit memeroy card, the sound is better.

Why again do I want a console?

OH, and Halo is also old and busted.
Hook up a mouse/keyboard to it, and I will mop the floor with your pathetic little ego.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

135. Re: ... Feb 13, 2006, 12:29 Slink

You do realize most hardcore PC "Mulitplayer" games are judged more by the gameplay than the graphics. Yes great graphics are awesome, but not if the gameplay is somewhat boring or the same. Halo's multiplayer "boxed in" map gameplay is not much different than most any other FPS. Nothing compared to the CTF mulitplayer experience of an old by todays standards game called Tribes. In fact, Halo BF2 etc are games influenced by Tribes. When these games tout the wonders of vehicles in the game, bigger maps, more team on team gameplay I just laugh and think, "hey we were doing that in 1998", and as large a game it was, it was fast and furious.

I remember reading up on Halo before it was hijacked and handed over to consoles. I remember them calling it a "Tribes-killer" and it was going to be designed for multiplay. But then Microsoft got a hold of it and that all changed...

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

134. Re: ... Feb 13, 2006, 11:10 kanniballl

In other words, Halo being Vista only isnt any big deal.

Really, I could care less if Halo2 is only avaialable on Vista. It wasn't that great of a game, and (as you said) doesn't have anything that other games don't. To be honest, I didn't find it that fun; there are far better FPS games out there.

What I DO care about is a trend from a gaming standpoint. I understood game companies dropping support for 95/98/98SE/Me as they are DOS-based (as opposed to NT-based) as well as old. Support for the DOS-based plus NT-based would be a pain. But dropping XP at this point seems weak.

I fear that by hook or by crook MS will get the game companies to only support Vista and higher. Maybe they'll get them to start using this fancy new graphics system. Maybe they'll stop releasing versions of DirectX for Windows XP.

To be honest, as a Windows OS, XP is quite nice. I don't need anything fancier at the moment, and probably won't go to Vista until I absolutely need to. But when you think about it, XP was released at the end (fall?) of 2001, that's 4+ years. So I could see Microsoft trying to get people (at least gamers) to drop it one way or another.

However, I doubt they will drop support for it entirely (ie, security updates and such). Too many companies are using it as well as Windows 2000, and they won't/can't upgrade to Vista any time soon. Reason being there has to be a feasibility study to see if they can and should. Then they have to buy new hardware to run it. For a large company, migrating to a new OS is a really, really big deal. The whole decision process can take well over a year at a REALLY big company. MS knows this.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 11:20.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

133. Re: ... Feb 12, 2006, 09:14 Beaner

Halo seemed derivitive to me... for about 20 minutes. The action component of this now ancient game is more thrilling than any so called A-grade PC fps I've played since, and I've played most. Half Life 2 is the only product to excede it and it's sequel in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of art direction nothing comes close to either game (Which, like WOW, rises above the low texture/polygon counts to create something far more beautiful than the glorified unplayable tech demos on store shelves today.

You do realize most hardcore PC "Mulitplayer" games are judged more by the gameplay than the graphics. Yes great graphics are awesome, but not if the gameplay is somewhat boring or the same. Halo's multiplayer "boxed in" map gameplay is not much different than most any other FPS. Nothing compared to the CTF mulitplayer experience of an old by todays standards game called Tribes. In fact, Halo BF2 etc are games influenced by Tribes. When these games tout the wonders of vehicles in the game, bigger maps, more team on team gameplay I just laugh and think, "hey we were doing that in 1998", and as large a game it was, it was fast and furious.

Claiming Halo is such a groundbreaking game, is like calling Mike Tyson the greatest boxer ever when compared to Muhammad Ali. In other words, Halo being Vista only isnt any big deal.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 09:18.

132. ... Feb 11, 2006, 10:04 theyarecomingforyou

I doubt Halo 2 will use any of the DirectX 10 features either.

Just because it doesn't use any new features does not mean it wouldn't benefit from DX10. DX10 is not backward compatible (unlike every previous version) - they have reworked it for performance reasons, so it could potentially offer a significant performance benefit.

However, it seems a pretty shitty way to go about things... they should sell Vista legitimately, not by forcing the hand of gamers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

131. Re: Hatred Feb 11, 2006, 07:21 Animals for Crackers

I'm telling ya, they've got control of one end of the market (consoles),

MS. Control of the console market. Lol. Not yet....

130. Re: Hatred Feb 11, 2006, 02:30 Prez

That's kind of funny, 'cause I recently read about a competition in which some PC mag editors who hardly played any Halo on either platform pretty much wiped the floor with the Xbog mag editors who had played countless hours of Halo multiplayer. And that was with letting the Xbox dudes pick the map.

The PC editors won at a game they barely knew against a far more experienced team, all because of a far superior control scheme. That pretty much speaks volumes if you ask me.

EDIT: In case you're wondering about the source it was a very recent PC Gamer (the owner of which also publishes the Xbox mag whose editors got whipped up on). Can't remember the month.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 02:34.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

129. Hatred Feb 11, 2006, 01:51 Numinar

At the risk of annoying my PC playing brothers, I'd have to say that anyone calling the Halo series sub-par in it's xbox incarnation is a bad consumer, probably spending his money on bad products and encouraging a bad industry trend for the release of crap. (Which the PC port might be... the PC port of the original was definately inferior, just like PC games ported to consoles usualy are and for the same reasons. It's not what they were originally designed for)

Hate it for any number of reasons, but not the control or execution of what it is or the fact it's on a console, thats weak. It's not my fault you are too unco-ordinated or old to adapt.

Halo seemed derivitive to me... for about 20 minutes. The action component of this now ancient game is more thrilling than any so called A-grade PC fps I've played since, and I've played most. Half Life 2 is the only product to excede it and it's sequel in terms of atmosphere, but in terms of art direction nothing comes close to either game (Which, like WOW, rises above the low texture/polygon counts to create something far more beautiful than the glorified unplayable tech demos on store shelves today).

I got on the bungie bandwagon around the time of Myth's release, look it up if you don't know it, and I've learned release after release that the fanatacism around their products is not just a throwback to their mac developer days, these guys do quality. Bigtime. I don't know what their secret is, as they've maintained it through multiple platfroms, a decent turnover of talent and a buyout by M$, which has been smart enough to let them do what needs doing (A lesson some of the other big publishers are only now starting to learn).

PC games can do more, but they have squandered it. RTS interfaces are screwed up, not enough develpers played Total Annihilation or Myth and continue to throw unwieldly crap at us. I love Total War and Rise of Nations but there are basic problems with their interfaces that I find totally frustrating... something that never happens to me in Halo2 (A focus on UI is a bungie hallmark... do other developers ever spend more than a day on this? I know bullfrog/lionhead are innovators here, but not all their risks seem to pay off).

I'd rather play through Halo 2 again 10 more times than Half Life 2 for a third, despite it's mouse control, silky smooth framerates and high resolution graphics. A game needs to make you forget it's game, and this only happens when the controls are so sweet you don't have to think about them. Bring on Bungie's next FPS/RTS/MMORPG or whatever please.

Peace Bruddas

128. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 20:53 Beaner

PC gaming is likely to become a "niche market"

True. PC gaming will first become recognized as the enthusiasts gaming market, which most publishers dont even recognize yet. They are mostly in the early AOL like stages of gaming. Similiar to the AOL boom of the early 90's.

Eventually the gaming business will mature, and different market dimensions will be recognized. Right now, everything is just mushed together and marketed at consoles.

One the industry matures and discovers itself a bit more a lot will change. Some for the worse some for the better.

There are things that consoles just cannot provide in regards to Mulitplayer Gaming specifically. Granted all the consoles are moving more toward mulitplayer, but as we all know, there is no user custom content, MODS, etc. And the more they try, the more these machines represent a PC.

PC gaming and the games are more sophisticated (and Im not reffering to the graphics), sophisticated in terms of gameplay and the amount of control in the game. MS wants to focus on making PC gaming big again which is something they are touting with Vista, but this probaly isnt the best action to do that.

127. Re: This disaster all started with Halo. Feb 10, 2006, 19:49 Kajetan

When I talk about computer games, I am talking as a gamer. It's not a professional opinion.

Professional or hobbyist ... dont't make false conclusions from false assumptions based on a somewhat limited perspective.

I for myself have no problem with console games. I also have no problem with PC games. I DO have a problem with bad games, with buggy games, with games which force me to uninstall certain software, because the copy(play)-protection force me to do so. With games which require several months of waiting until i can play them, because they need several patches to put them in a playable state.

Yes, i am talking about PC games. Beta-software, unfinished software, bad software. Software, reducing me to some poor, unpaid QA guy.

And there is the console. Eager and waiting for me to put some disk in the slot. I finish my daily work, i visit my local software dealer, i buy some nice software. I go home, insert the disk ... and i play!! No fuddling with patches, with wrong drivers and so on.

Do i hate PC games? No! I like good games, regardless of the hardware they require. Its just that i do not want to spend my precious time tinkering with odd hard- and software phenomena. And if it's not possible to release a PC game, working right out of the box, then ... well, PC games might go to hell! Fine with me ...

But this will not happen, regardless of my ranting and mumbling. There is always someone willing to pay for buggy, unfinished PC games. Like myself, spending my hard earned money for games like Civ IV
This comment was edited on Feb 10, 23:12.

126. Re: New Paradigm Feb 10, 2006, 19:36 BurntSoul

Maybe instead of Microsoft just saying that Vista is the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming ... they could tell us exactly *how* it is the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming.

If they said it, I think the answer would be,

"Well, it's obvious isn't it? It's the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming because WE are the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming!! We will control your emotions and what you can play! BUY VISTA!!"

125. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2006, 19:33 BurntSoul

Thank you Mr. Lolicon.

...and guess what?

Take a look at the MS (Hearts) PC Gaming news post. Came out after I was done with my 2nd rant. They are now saying they are going to try to clean up the declining PC Games market mess (that they admitedly ignored/created). What are they going to use? Vista...just what I clinched the first rant with.

I read the article's referring link, and it looks like they are going to strike it in two ways: With Vista and with online game downloads. They say that it will mare than double game sales from the current 3.3 billion to an estimated 6.8 billion bucks.

I'm telling ya, they've got control of one end of the market (consoles), and now they are saying they will pull in the other (PC) end which is good, but I'm still worried about how those games will be created/bastardized.

Microsoft has got everyone on a leash and we are the happy, loyal dogs!!

124. New Paradigm Feb 10, 2006, 18:08 Avrus

Maybe instead of Microsoft just saying that Vista is the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming ... they could tell us exactly *how* it is the greatest thing to happen to PC Gaming.

Yes I know it's a new paradigm shift unifying market design providing parallel constructivism while maintaining total customer focus in a dynamic market place...

Instead of marketing hype, give me the low down on HOW it's going to do this. DX 10? That has nothing to do with the O/S.

123. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 17:41 Masa

BurntSoul = Mr. Wikipedia himself. I like the articles posts you wrote.

122. Re: Windows Version nonsense Feb 10, 2006, 17:27 Prez

I loved Halo - it was the right game at the right time for me. A lot of makes a game good to someone and terrible to someone else has a great deal with timing. Someone currently tired of FPS's minimal advancement gameplay-wise would probably view it differently then someone like me, who had gorged himself on strategy games for 8 months prior to Halo and picked it up right when he was ready and primed to jump back into shooters

At any rate, it's unlikely I was going to rush out and buy Halo 2 on day 1 anyway, now, it seems like it might be years before I finally get to play it. I've wasted so much money on Windows versions prior to XP that I'm planning on holding onto XP for a LONG time, now that I've got an OS that finally works in passable fashion. Terrible, terrible idea MS.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

121. Windows Version nonsense Feb 10, 2006, 16:59 Ecthelion

My guess is that they won't actually take advantage of Vista in any way and the installer will just fail if Vista is not your OS. Kind of like how Curse of Monkey Island didn't want to install on Windows XP (although I think that was more the DirectX version than the Windows version). I doubt Halo 2 will use any of the DirectX 10 features either.

In today's lesson, we learn hard-coding version checks is BAD. I guess some game devs don't think their games will still be played several years later.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 17:01.

120. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 14:59 Kxmode

Master Chief Dual-Wields His Way to Windows Vista

And the warthog will loose a wheel, maybe all-four, maybe the entire engine block.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

119. Re: This disaster all started with Halo. Feb 10, 2006, 14:32 BurntSoul

I'm a computer consultant.

Sure you are ... only consultants don't know nothing about the thing they're talking about

That's fine, you can have your opinion about what a computer consultant knows or doesn't. When I talk about computer games, I am talking as a gamer. It's not a professional opinion.

As I said in the beginning of my rant, I said it was an opinion. That is, some facts and some things I've perceived over time.

Hate to say it ... but there is no difference. It's the SAME industry!!! There are only people, who want to play games on a PC and people who want to play games on a console. And sometimes these people are the same person.

Yes, 'games' is the same industry, consoles and PCs are not. That's what I meant. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Can we admit that PCs and Consoles are 2 different places where you can play a game then?

Can we also admit that marketing fucking sells shit, and more repeated marketing can sell EVEN MORE of the same shit?

Why the hell are people still buying Chia pet plants for heavens sake?

When more advertising goes into one area an not another, the other area can suffer. It can have nothing to do with people per se, only that more people have been exposed one way or the other. Marketing creates popularity. It just so happens that this marketing is affecting the sale of PC gaming titles, because behind the scenes (from what I can see ignited by Microsoft XBOX and Halo) it caused a shift of talent from the PC development community to create more Console games. They fell into a wider audience of consumers. More money for them.

(And console games DO NOT play exactly like PC games. At least the ones I play. More on this later...and the reason why I'm ranting!)

Conversely, if people originally saw more glittery advertising for dedicated PC games on the boob tube for a long enough time, a shift would probably occur that would give developers reason to work on PC titles more often than console games. unfortunately more sales would be made, but not as quickly as console titles. The problem here is that there just isn't as wide an audience, no matter what you do in the PC market. PCs are too expensive. Consoles are the popular choice.

Here's another opinion; I don't want to play a PC game of choice on a console. Why? Is it because I want to spend more money on the hardware? No. It's because when you go to console, a bastardization of the game takes place. The fucking game gets simplified in such a way that the mechanics of the game just feels ridiculous. and no, I'm not talking about playing chess on a PC as opposed to a console. And I'm not talking about arcade games. They can stay on a console. I'm talking about First Person Shooters, Real-time Strategy, MMORPGs, Flight Simulations.

So yes, it's true sometimes the same person likes both. But the people that buy the products alone are not the sole reason for a change in the market. What do you think it is?

1. A huge company does some research and decides it's time to get into consoles.
2. They don't want to lose money on this decision. They do more research. They realize that the guys playing the really intense, realistic games play on the PC. They notice that console gamers are overall younger than PC gamers and the games are very 'arcadey' or 'cartooney' in quality, not too much realism. They also notice that PC gamers, because they are older, have more income to spend.
3. That company says, "shit, if we could tap into that kind of player, there's no way we can lose!". That company could be Sony, it could be Microsoft. From what I could see, Microsoft went the extra step. They knew that Halo as a PC game would kick ass, but they didn't want to make just another PC title because that wouldn't bring in enough revenue over the long term. They also wanted something more than just an arcade game. They knew that if they made Halo for a console, they could entice a wider audience of gamers, while at the same time make the PC gamer think about consoles too.
4. In order to make sure those people come back, they needed to make games that were geared towards an older crowd. Hmmm, where to get those kind of developers....oh yeah! The guys who make PC games!
5. They make an awesome set of tools that these developers could sink their teeth into, as well as made them realize that they could make a wider margin of profit over a PC title any day. Easier tools to work with + less QA as opposed to PC titles = faster development time = more products brought to market= MO MONEY.
6. Because of this formula, PC game devs are now focussing more time on console games, and are now porting shit over to the PC - instead of the other way around.
7. So let's go back to people who like pc games and people who like console games. It's not just the older guys who like the more realistic games. It's the larger, younger crowd that hasn't really played PC games. They don't have a huge income to spend, but now they are getting better graphics with an XBOX. They are getting a taste of what PC gamers have had but are now losing...This crowd is like: "holy shit! This is awesome! We want more!"

Cheaper, easier access to more realistic games. Unfortunately, dumbed-down games.

And this is why there are more people now playing consoles than PC titles, and advertising is continuing in that fashion, starting with the TV ads, then the cable TV stations dedicated to it, followed by the placement of the products in the stores.

So we continue: Halo is temporarily 'stolen' from PC gamers and the XBOX hits the market. Windfall. All developers (PC and console) turn their eyes on the XBOX. Microsoft, knowing full well they can now do whatever they please, announce that Halo will be released for the PC after all, and like one year later it comes out. What the Fuck.

Another opinion: The game feels on the PC like it's a console game. They had to have ported the fucking game from the console to the PC.

Let the downfall of PC games begin!

Fast Forward a bit: Ubi soft announces Ghost Recon 2. Understand that Ghost Recon was initially for PC titles. Same as the Rainbow Six series. Came out before them as well. I believe they announced Ghost Recon 2 for PC and consoles.

So was Ghost Recon 2 sold to the PC market?

Note: Now Ubi is going back to their roots. They also almost snubbed the PC gamers for a Rainbow six title (Lockdown) by NOT advertising the title was for PC for the looooonnngest time. It's still not really advertised for PCs. They only advertised it for consoles, and it's finally coming to market for PCs.

They have finally realized a difference in the feel of a console game over a PC game and supposedly are (so they say) currently tweaking the game. Either that or they were worried they'd lose their cash cow community of PC Gamers who were fucking' pissed off like a crack whore without their - well, crack.

So unfotunately as a primary PC gamer, if I want to play Ghost Recon 2, I am FORCED to buy a game console and use a fucking controller(no, I didn't do this. Are you surprised?).

Bastardization. Wrongness, and something people will truly miss out on if things continue the direction they are going in now.

All because Microsoft wanted to get into the Console Market.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo