Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dear Diary - SiN Episodes Trailer

A new installment in Shawn's log on the SiN Episodes Website discusses the release of the official Emergence video showing off the first installment in SiN Episodes. Word is Ritual is just days away from the beta testing stage of the upcoming shooter sequel.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Feb 11, 2006, 02:51 Shadowcat

I don't take all my gaming advice from executives and vice-president's either, and I never said that I did. But they do have the power to direct where future investment will go, and they make these decisions based on the revenue earnings of games already on the market.
I confess my comment was a little snarky. Still, my understanding is that there are vastly more people who play single-player games than there are people playing multi-player games. People posting to online gaming forums are more likely than most to be multi-player gamers, so you'll get a biased overall opinion from reading forums.

I don't think single-player modes are in any danger of becoming unpopular. Consider who those quotations are from:

Sony Online (who have EverQuest and a whole array of other online titles to push).

EA's former VP of online gaming.

An XBox exec, ready to talk up their XBox Live capabilities.

These are all people with an agenda. I really don't think they form the basis of a balanced opinion. You're right that they undoubtedly have some influence, but they only affect the developers under their own umbrellas, which (to mix my metaphors) is but one slice of the pie.

Single-player isn't going anywhere.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Feb 11, 2006, 01:05 Tarrant

My apologies for being so rude Rseman. I must've been on my rags last night. It's just that, while my original point may have been overtstated, I don't think it's as unreasonable as people seem to think. I'm fine with disagreement, but people seem more interested in picking at what I said and painting it as ridiculous, raher than providing an argument for why I'm wrong. This debate points to the question of whether Ritual and Valve's movements towards episodic single player focussed gameplay will produce the success they're looking for. Personally, I don't think it will, especially seeing as a large portion of Valve's customers as primarly interested in multiplayer (some might disagree, but I think the number of people who play CS:Source proves this).

And Shadowcat, I don't take all my gaming advice from executives and vice-president's either, and I never said that I did. But they do have the power to direct where future investment will go, and they make these decisions based on the revenue earnings of games already on the market. Valve may be one of the only developers that can buck this trend, but they may not be able to do so for long unless their investment in episodic content proves successfull.

29. Re: Feb 10, 2006, 22:09 Rseman

The disappearing bodies annoy me, too... The last game I recall leaving bodies around was Return to Castle Wolfenstein... I think SOF2 also made it available as an option...

If the game has a lot of sameness to the areas then I want the bodies left so I can tell at a glance where I've already been...

28. Re: Feb 10, 2006, 21:58 Rseman

It truly scares me to think I'm already on what you're taking, but I'll learn to live with it, I guess... along with my, apparently, less than stellar communicative abilities...

I'm devastated to hear about Judy, too... And no, my wife doesn't know, but now you've let the cat out of the bag, I suppose she'll know sooner or later;P... I think both of us would like to borrow those heels of yours that do the fade away trick, though... You're not a 39b are you?

In any case, since it appears neither of us know what you wrote, I'm going to bow out to the almighty:)

On a lighter note, might I suggest you seek out a topical ointment for those heckles;P

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 21:59.

27. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 17:00 Shadowcat

Yep, I take all my gaming advice from executives and vice-presidents too. They know better than anyone what makes a kick-ass game.

Back to the trailer...

The only thing that actually irritated me about it was the gibbing. Maybe they're just trying to reference the original game, but I'm so completely over seeing someone converted to a rain of bloody chunks of meat because I shot them one time too many with my little pistol. It's idiotic. At least Doom required high-explosives (barrels, rockets). Quake started a bad trend, and it bugs me that developers are still doing it.

And bodies shouldn't disappear! I don't know whether or not they will in SINE, but that's the other related feature that always annoys me. Keep the bodies around, for god's sake. About the only 3D FPS I can even remember that did this was Requiem. The only game of any sort I can think of that had a reason for disappearing bodies was Giants. I'm sure there are other examples, but they must be fairly few and far between.

If you're going to claim it's a performance thing, at least give the player some options: No fade, timed fade, corpse-queue length, etc...

*breathes*

Sorry about that.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 17:02.

26. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 12:17 Tarrant

Taken from: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14655

Online gaming will revolutionise industry, say execs

EA's former VP of online compares solo play to masturbation

Sony Online Entertainment's Raph Koster and former EA executive Lars Butler have declared that online gaming will revolutionise the industry - and that those who don't keep up will get left behind.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030909.html

Why is Judy Garland such a popular gay icon?
Auntie Em
Encino, California

Dear Em:
Somewhere over the rainbow, past searches on "Judy Garland gay icon" and related terms, we discovered a number of complicated reasons why this singer and movie star is so beloved by the gay community...

Sheesh. Do I have to explain everything? Burden of proof is a real pain in the ass, but I'm still right.

25. Re: Feb 10, 2006, 11:46 nin

a gay icon such as Judy Garland

Judy Garland is a gay icon?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Feb 10, 2006, 11:41 Tarrant

Rseman, your response to what I said was asinine and proves that you failed to read what I actually wrote. Perhaps I should have qualified what I was saying as applying to PC games only, as the console market is not comparable, and definitely not at the same stage of MP development as the PC.

Furthermore, I wasn't saying that SP isn't relevant. If you had been paying any attention, rather than just getting your heckles up, you'd notice that I said that SP FPS games will not be able to compete with the MP market unless they innovate the SP FPS experience, rather than sticking to the same old run and gun formula. I also said that SP FPS is almost dead, which is very different from saying that it IS dead. Moreover, I was refering to SP FPS games on the PC, not single player in general. If I'm guilty of making blanket statements, your just as guilty as making blanket assumptions. At least I know what I wrote. Your ability to read, however, is questionable.

As for your comments about statistics and figures, well, that paragraph makes little to no sense. It's simply not readable. I don't want any of what you're on, as it obviously dulls your ability to communicate.

I don't care how much spare time you have, or the fact that you're in your late 30s. I'm in my late 20s, have been playing games for 20 years, and I don't have the time to play games for hours on end either. That wasn't the point, and your attempts to elevate your status above that of a child further reveals your arrogance and, due to the personal nature of what you said, your narcisism as well.

And as for clicking your heels together - does your wife know you crossdress and have a thing for a gay icon such as Judy Garland?

Some of us actaully think about what we say before prancing around like a twat. Oh, and you don't need to level up to be competitive in BF2. Maybe you're loosing your skills in your old age. Now just close your eyes, think of home, and fade away.

23. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2006, 01:35 Undead Scottsman

(ie, shoot a guy with a shotgun and he WILL fly backwards several feet)

Actually, that's unrealistic if I remember that physics lecture right. While the buckshot is being shot at an extreme velocity, it doesn't carry much mass, so the ammount of energy transfered into the human body should NOT send the body flying back several feet. Knock 'em a foot back and onto the ground, sure, but it shouldn't send them flying back like it does in movies and whatnot.

Matter of fact, that's probably my biggest complaint with games today. Ragdolls are great and I'm glad we've gotten them, but can we please make them more realistic? As of right now as soon at the enemy hits 0 HP they suddenly lose 100 pounds, all motor functions, and get flung around like a kite. I'd like to see more of people collasping or slowly dying, or even better yet, have a threshold where an enemy is no longer combat capable, but still alive so they're still flailing about while ragdolling instead of just acting like a stunt dummy fired from a canon.

22. No subject Feb 10, 2006, 01:10 sponge

I had a thought: it seems a lot of the games are starting to look alike. Is this a side effect of how far we've come in engines, or just no creativity? I'd like tot hink it's a bit of both, hasn't been game like MDK/MDK2 for example in a while.

21. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 22:22 Creston

You know, people keep going on an on about F.E.A.R. I don't see what the big deal was.

While most of your points are valid, I could make the exact same points about Half Life 2 as well.

The thing about FEAR, is that combat just FELT really right. Obviously this is a biased feeling, since I've never been in an actual gunfight, so my point of reference may be a bit skewed, but the weapons felt truly powerful, enemy bodies reacted appropriately to the gunfire (ie, shoot a guy with a shotgun and he WILL fly backwards several feet), they sounded right, and finally, having a firefight in an office where you spray 90 rounds of lead around leads to the whole thing looking appropriately shot to hell.

Play FEAR first, then go back to Half Life 2, and see which combat you find more satisfying.

As for the overal experience, meh, that's to each his own, but I think FEAR definitely set the bar for shooters where the actual SHOOTING is concerned.

For all its good parts, I wouldn't call the actual shooting bit in Half Life 2 all that great, especially since there's not really a lot of it to begin with.

Creston

Edit : As for Single Player being dead... I'd like to see your figures backing this up

Oh come on, he doesn't have to give figures. HE feels that single player FPSs are boring and almost dead, so that makes it true. This is the Bluesnews way, remember? Your opinion is always the truth, no matter how far out there it is...

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 22:25.

20. Re: Feb 9, 2006, 21:59 Rseman

I think I probably like Ritual as much as anyone could but, c'mon.... The opening scene of that video instantly had me thinking of those levels in HL1 just before Zen... the design, the textures. Everything, actually.

Even the iron girders he shoots down look straight from HL2... Player perception of the weapons is identical, too...

That said, I still think it looks good and anything they've done has always been a lot of fun, so I'll be first in line for the starting episode and I'll see how it goes from there... I don't think you can piss on a game until you've played it, which I'm going to assume nobody here has;P

As for Single Player being dead... I'd like to see your figures backing this up. You have the stats on all games sold Vs. the total individuals playing them?... So, if I consider all those kids with Playstations, XBox's, Nintendo's, Segas and PC.... and, assuming you're correct, the five people in the universe without broadband or any version of Internet access and a copy of BF2... They are, in fact, outnumbered by people playing online?... I'll have 2 of whatever you're on, then I'm going to click my heals together and say 'There's no place like home'.... do hope it works for me, too!

When I buy games, I avoid anything without SP... Some of us are in our late 30's with a wife and a child or 3... I don't have a few hundred hours to kill in Everquest, nor do I have time I feck around levelling up in BF2...

However, I'm sure you're blanket statement is correct. After all, you said it:D

19. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 21:53 John

The only thing that I liked was reading the emails to get the story...

What emails?

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

18. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 18:13 kanniballl

You know, people keep going on an on about F.E.A.R. I don't see what the big deal was. The more I think about it, the more I think "who cares."

The beginning was pretty sweet. But by the 3rd hour it was the same stuff over and over. The scares became kind of predictable (though the beginning was creepy). Sure, at one point the environment changed when you got to the abandoned area, but still. It was like an FPS "Max Payne." Run-gun-run-gun-SH!T-slowmo. And don't get me started on the last levels with the sst phantoms teleporting in as you work your way backwards somewhat /sst

The only thing that I liked was reading the emails to get the story, kind of like SS2 and AvP2 (never played the originals much).

People keep trying to compare games to it, but what's the point? It was pretty cookie-cutter:
  • The graphics weren't mind-blowing (or at least not groundbreaking).

• The style was still mostly run and gun.

• The game degenerates towards the end, acting completely different

• The only things that set it aside were slow motion (already done) and reading emails/memos/etc (also already done).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurmama

PS
    I'm also sick of gas-mask baddies. I'll take "3 varieties of faces" any day over gas masks.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 18:46.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

17. No subject Feb 9, 2006, 15:33 Tarrant

Hmm, so HL2 didn't have enough guys wearing gas masks for you? Feel the need to cruise around some more docks and warehouses huh? Many of the textures and use of colour look the same, the environments are similar, enemies are similar, physics based puzzles are similar. The ship hovering in the sky is reminiscent of HL2. It's not half obvious that it was made in close consultaion with Valve. There's a difference between using and engine to make a different game, and making a total conversion. I'll hold my reservations until it's out, but it looks more like a TC to me.

16. No subject Feb 9, 2006, 15:21 Masa

It looks like Ritual have succeded in making a game that looks and plays like HL2.

Huh? Except for running on the same engine (where you're going to get resemblances no matter what) it doesn't look like HL2 at all.

15. No subject Feb 9, 2006, 14:51 Tarrant

Unless a Single Player FPS has a compelling MP component it's sales will never match up to the MP competition. And with budgets and development cycles ever increasing, it's going to make increasingly less sense to market a game based primarily on it's single player elements. Do you think sales for Doom3, Quake4, or F.E.A.R come even close to BF2 and HL2 (read CS:Source)? I'm not saying that SP FPS will die, but they will have to be more like FPS-RPG hybrids, like Oblivion and Bioshock. Typical run and gun shooters just won't be able to compete with a game like Huxley, which will have PvE, so much like single player, but with a party of six or so players. Scripted sequences and AI are just not gonna cut it anymore. And interaction, being able to interact with your environment, move stuff around, solve puzzles etc, when the hell did that ever make a FPS great? With 5 million people playing WoW, it's obvious that the FPS genre has to move more towards MMO PvE style of play, as spending 2-3 years to release a game that people play for 2-3 days is getting increasingly pointless.

14. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 14:44 MMORPGHoD

After Q4 and FEAR, I'm on single FPS overload. I have a multiplayer specific FPS taste for Quake Wars myself.

13. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 14:13 nin

Single player FPS is almost dead

Huh?

--------------------------------------------------------------
    GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. No subject Feb 9, 2006, 14:02 Tarrant

Yawn. It looks like Ritual have succeded in making a game that looks and plays like HL2. After games like F.E.A.R., and with Prey on the way, I doubt this will rouse much interest. Maybe if they got it out the door last year but, c'mon, this will just be for fanboys, Valve groupies and people too poor to upgrade. Single player FPS is almost dead, but hey, that's what happens when you don't do anything new for 5 years. The Might and Magic game using Valve's engine looks much more interesting.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo