Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Prey
    Prey for Something Different on Next Generation asks Human Head's Chris Rhinehart to pray tell of their upcoming first person shooter: "When we were first talking about Prey, we wanted the ability to walk on walls and walk on the ceiling. Because we're dealing in alien environments, we can do that - it's part of the alien structures. While we were doing this, we decided we didn't need ladders or anything more either, so we trimmed those out of the design. If you want to get from a low-point to a high-point, we've got these wall-walk surfaces. You're basically kind of stuck to them, so if you get shot, you're not going to get knocked off of it. Originally, we made it so you would fall off of them, but that was totally not fair. The only way you can get off of these surfaces is if you walk off of it or jump, so you just hit the jump key and you'll flip off."
  • TimeShift
    Gamecloud's Timeshift Q&A talks with Matthew Karch of Saber Interactive about their 4D first-person shooter: "In some respects it has made the game harder and in some it has made it easier. It is harder because we have had to design the game very differently than standard shooters. The ability to control time has required us to come up with creative ways to place opponents and to ensure that the level of difficulty is just right. From both a design and programming standpoint, the time features have made the game much more of a challenge than a standard shooter."
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
    Shacknews' Neverwinter Nights 2 Q&A talks with Ferret Baudoin of Obsidian Entertainment about the D&D RPG sequel: "We started with the Aurora engine as a base, but many parts of it have been rewritten completely. But having Aurora has freed us up to do a great deal. We've got new spells, new feats and a new ruleset we're using. The AI has also been taught a few new tricks which should make dungeon romping a tad more exciting. (Insert DM cackling when those fun little tricks are revealed!)"
  • Auto Assault
    The Auto Assault Q&A on GameSpot discusses 'Polishing, Tweaking, and Last-Minute Additions' in NetDevil's upcoming MMORPG with Scott Brown: "Players are really having fun with the destructive nature of the game. It seems to be a great deal of fun to drive around and destroy just about every object in the world. Auto Assault is still a role-playing game, however, and as such, people also seem to enjoy the dynamic loot system, which generates a large variety of unique loot."
  • C&C: The First Decade
    Gamecloud's Command & Conquer: The First Decade Q&A discusses the just-released RTS compilation with EA's Louis Castle: "One of the things that I found surprising is that even when you are certain you have designed every possible combination of units or strategies, minutes after letting a group of fans play, you find out you didn't find half of what's possible. This single aspect of RTS keeps me coming back again and again. It is a puzzle that has no closed solution set."
  • EverQuest: Prophecy of RO
    The EverQuest: Prophecy of RO Q&A #2 on MMORPG.COM continues to discuss the upcoming MMORPG expansion with lead designer Travis McGeathy: "The ability to set traps will be available to players through a series of new disciplines and spells that players can learn. By using these abilities, players can place a trap where they are standing and when an NPC comes within range of it, the trap will trigger and cause harm to the NPC. There are a wide variety of traps that players can set, ranging from simple bear traps to magical wards. Player-set traps can only be triggered by NPCs in most cases, even in PvP environments."
  • Lord British
    An audience with Lord British on GameSpot is a Q&A with the designer about his career and joining the AIAS hall of fame: "Hmm. I have three games that I'm really the most proud of. They're Ultima IV, Ultima VII, and Ultima Online. I think what you'll see--especially in the first two examples-- that I'm most proud of, is trying to imbue in the computer games not just game mechanics, but also a sense of literary storytelling. To try to create settings and characters and reasons to be there and things to do while you're there that go beyond 'fight the next monster, collect the next level of treasure, cash it in and then level up."
  • Music
    The Stephen Rippy Q&A on Music 4 Games talks with the composer about the soundtrack for Age of Empires III.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Auto Assault 'polishing' Feb 9, 2006, 22:03 John

Yeah, they need to do a good bit of work still. The beta isn't very smooth on my PC even with many settings down to medium and the cars don't drive very well. I suppose if I used a wheel or even a joystick it might be better, but the physics just seem off.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re:C&C The next gen... Feb 9, 2006, 11:50 Rebian

"Raising the lvl cap from 20 closer to the stated limit of 80."

I remember Brad McQuaid saying once that D&D is inheirently structured for 25 levels. No matter what you change the dynamics get blown out if you go higher. He started EQ at 50 just for marketing reasons.

4. Re:C&C The next gen... Feb 9, 2006, 06:07 Tango

Get on with it EALA. But don't make it suck

3. Auto Assault 'polishing' Feb 9, 2006, 05:47 Swerv

'polishing'? As in reworking the combat system? Maybe opening up more than 2 areas for each race to level in? Raising the lvl cap from 20 closer to the stated limit of 80.

I know mmo's need to go live for the dev's to recoup some money so they can continue to make the game better, but this and especially DDO have a long way to go, before they're 'finished'

2. No subject Feb 9, 2006, 02:14 D4rkKnight

I think your reading to much into that.

1. NWN2 Feb 9, 2006, 01:43 FourPak

The AI has also been taught a few new tricks which should make dungeon romping a tad more exciting.
doh, hope they don't turn it into diablo/dungeon siege. in playing thru the NWN diamond campaigns it's clear the strength of the series is the storytelling not hack'n'slash lootfest.

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo