Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dangerous Waters and Space Empires IV Deluxe on Steam

Steam News has word that Dangerous Waters and Space Empires IV Deluxe are both available via Steam. Word is: "S.C.S - Dangerous Waters™ is a groundbreaking naval simulation game, available via Steam for $39.95. Space Empires IV Deluxe, a grand strategy title in the space 4X (explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate) genre, is available via Steam for just $19.95."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 01:07 Shadowcat

While I don't look at graphics to determine a game purchase, I do look at the graphics to determine if the price is right
So the company who puts most of their resources into incredible graphics deserves more money than the company who puts the same number of resources into, say, incredible A.I. and campaigns?

I don't believe you've thought your argument through fully.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 13:22 Taulin

While I don't look at graphics to determine a game purchase, I do look at the graphics to determine if the price is right, not to mention how long it's been out. DW should sell for $20, tops. If packaged and in the store, I can understand possibly $25~30.

8. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 11:17 Parallax Abstraction

Very cool. I actually found a demo on the developer's site so I'll be trying it out later today. Apparently, there's also a fifth game in development due out later this year.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 11:02 Rigs

Anybody played Space Empires IV by the way? The reviews seem decent enough, but I never heard of this game until now. I love 4X though...

You'll love it. I've had it for quite a while now, about 2 or 3 years, it's been out for a long time actually. But in that time they've squeezed all the bugs out and put some impressiv features in. It's also relatively easy to mod, most files are in .txt format. There's Star Wars, Star Trek and, my fav, Babylon5 mods out already. Just search for them on Google. It has a great tutorial that gets you into the game and gives you pretty much all you need to play on your own. The manual that came with the original was HTML based, so it sucked. I don't know if that's been changed since. The information is all there, don't get me wrong, it's just a bitch to find...

If you're into 4x strategy games and aren't bothered by the lack of flashy graphics and surround sound, you probably won't find a better one, at least until GalCiv2 comes out later this month (next month?). Even then it's pretty easy to jump in and play. It's worth the $20, trust me. It was worth the $40 I paid originally...

=-Rigs-=

"If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - Dan Quayle

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

6. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 10:36 MyRealName

Gotta love those price reductions and popular titles Steam is making possible.

(ROFL)

Boycott Starforce - http://www.glop.org/starforce/

5. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 10:13 Parallax Abstraction

Anybody played Space Empires IV by the way? The reviews seem decent enough, but I never heard of this game until now. I love 4X though...

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 10:10 Parallax Abstraction

Dangerous Waters has a very heavy learning curve, but once you get the basics down, it can be a lot of fun. I played it co-op with a friend one afternoon and though I still don't get probably 85% of it, we had fun hunting attack subs from the air. The game can also be configured so you can control most of it using voice commands. But if you aren't into hardcore sims, you probably wouldn't find it that fun. There's long periods when you're hunting stuff where nothing happens.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

3. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 06:44 sponge

Agreed. I suppose these games are relatively niche, and those who play it will play the hell out of it, justifying the price to them.

2. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2006, 06:04 vacs

All your money are belong to us.

Surrender now and give all your money to Valve!

1. No subject Feb 8, 2006, 01:40 Squirmer

I'm a defender of Steam, but I gotta say $40 is quite expensive considering there are no packaging and shipping costs.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo