Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tesseraction versus DreamCatcher

This page on the framed Tesseraction Games Website (thanks Frans) has word that the developer of Enigma is suing U.S. publisher DreamCatcher Interactive for breach of contract and racketeering:

Tesseraction Games has filed suit for breach of contract and racketeering against publisher Dreamcatcher Interactive. The lawsuit cites unpaid royalties, fraudulent sales reporting and intentional contract violations damaging Tesseractions intellectual property. Tesseraction is also seeking injunctive relief against the publisher. Are there actually any honest publishers in America?

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 2, 2006, 10:50 aldo_14

I'm across the country on business and while I was out eating dinner tonight, I thought about this "Game eBay" idea. It's actually kind of an interesting idea in concept. I don't know how you'd ever make it work, but it would be neat to have almost a central place where teams of developers could put out ideas (copyrighted of course) for publishers to look at and make bids on. There are also a lot of publishers who have existing IP and want outside developers to make a product out of (though that's changing now.) I suppose that's kind of done already since a developer can shop around an idea until a publisher gives them the best deal. Still, it's kind of an interesting thought, though it still doesn't solve the fundamental problem of eliminating the financial ties that will keep publishers the main part of any game development's equation, whether or not there's any digital distribution. I also think that digital distribution isn't going to fly as fast as people think. Since the developers still need the publisher's money to make their project happen, what's to stop a publisher from either banning you from using digital distribution or telling you that you have to use the system they came up with? Make no mistake, every major publisher will either develop their own Steam clone or they'll license and re-brand the existing Steam technology. There's also nothing stopping them from putting the same ultra-low royalties in those contracts, even if you're using digital distribution. Remember, if you're a developer and want their money, they hold all the cards and can make you play by their rules.

Balls. I guess that means that wasn't just my idea, then.........although I viewed something slightly different (for obvious startup cost reasons).

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 2, 2006, 08:34  dsmart 

Look, Smart has lied, flamed and sued his way through his entire life, and where i come from we don't give people like that any credit. Not even a little. That's like saying "hey, you gotta give Charles Manson some credit, that guy sure knew how to murder people!" And you know, Charles Manson has a following too... hmm...

Wow! You knew me at birth? In grade school? In high school? In college? At the prom? Damn, was that you in the fuzzy I'm an ass t-shirt all those years?

You're such a disgusting fuckwit, I wonder why people on this forum pay you any attention.

Where you come from? Yeah, trailer parks are notorious for producing abortion candidates like you.

Asshole.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

29. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 2, 2006, 08:00 Masa

Ah, reading back now I see I completely missed your point. Ah...sorry about that!

28. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 2, 2006, 01:00 Parallax Abstraction

Well, I meant the "Game eBay" as in a common marketplace for developers to pitch ideas and have them bid on by publishers. I didn't mean a game based around running an eBay business. If that's what you mean, yeah I agree that it could definitely happen. Hell, Bold Games released the John Deere Farmer simulation game. That just blew my mind...

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
MK DS Friend Code: 210513038300

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

27. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 2, 2006, 00:53 Masa

No. We don't have to do a goddamn thing, you fucking shit mcmuffin. Uwe Boll still manages to produce film after film of the most horrible crap you'll ever see, but that doesn't mean he deserves any respect. Look, Smart has lied, flamed and sued his way through his entire life, and where i come from we don't give people like that any credit. Not even a little. That's like saying "hey, you gotta give Charles Manson some credit, that guy sure knew how to murder people!" And you know, Charles Manson has a following too... hmm...

There are many, many more people in this world that deserve your respect over Dr. Derek Smart DDS PhD MD. You won't get any fucking sympathy from me or most likely anyone else here (besides Hellbinder) if you're going to positively reinforce this douchebag. You, sir, can take your "credit" and shove it up your fucking ass.

Wow. Even my knee jerk reaction to arguing with sycophants was stalled by this passage. I will say you need to learn what a comma splice is, though. It's just an amausing passage all around.

I'm across the country on business and while I was out eating dinner tonight, I thought about this "Game eBay" idea.

Frankly, considering all the various tycoon games out there, I could see this happening. Hell, we even have computer games covering international diplomacy. I think running a theme park and making sure the kids have enough toilets to empty their bowels is akin to watching paint dry, but I guess it's in the details of how you play; not the overal picture.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 00:56.

26. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 23:52 Parallax Abstraction

The "Game Ebay"? I can just see that now. "L@@K: UPSTART DEVELOPER NEEDS 3 MILLION TO BUILD AWESOME FPS. BID NOW!!!!!" Two years later: "BEWARE! VAPORWARE. WOULD NOT BUY FROM AGAIN."

I'm across the country on business and while I was out eating dinner tonight, I thought about this "Game eBay" idea. It's actually kind of an interesting idea in concept. I don't know how you'd ever make it work, but it would be neat to have almost a central place where teams of developers could put out ideas (copyrighted of course) for publishers to look at and make bids on. There are also a lot of publishers who have existing IP and want outside developers to make a product out of (though that's changing now.) I suppose that's kind of done already since a developer can shop around an idea until a publisher gives them the best deal. Still, it's kind of an interesting thought, though it still doesn't solve the fundamental problem of eliminating the financial ties that will keep publishers the main part of any game development's equation, whether or not there's any digital distribution. I also think that digital distribution isn't going to fly as fast as people think. Since the developers still need the publisher's money to make their project happen, what's to stop a publisher from either banning you from using digital distribution or telling you that you have to use the system they came up with? Make no mistake, every major publisher will either develop their own Steam clone or they'll license and re-brand the existing Steam technology. There's also nothing stopping them from putting the same ultra-low royalties in those contracts, even if you're using digital distribution. Remember, if you're a developer and want their money, they hold all the cards and can make you play by their rules.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction

25. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 23:21 BIGtrouble77

No. We don't have to do a goddamn thing, you fucking shit mcmuffin. Uwe Boll still manages to produce film after film of the most horrible crap you'll ever see, but that doesn't mean he deserves any respect. Look, Smart has lied, flamed and sued his way through his entire life, and where i come from we don't give people like that any credit. Not even a little. That's like saying "hey, you gotta give Charles Manson some credit, that guy sure knew how to murder people!" And you know, Charles Manson has a following too... hmm...

There are many, many more people in this world that deserve your respect over Dr. Derek Smart DDS PhD MD. You won't get any fucking sympathy from me or most likely anyone else here (besides Hellbinder) if you're going to positively reinforce this douchebag. You, sir, can take your "credit" and shove it up your fucking ass.
Brilliant, thanks for putting me in my place so eloquently.

24. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 23:18 Luthier

Or more likely as in the case of the EA Downloader, the publishers will just switch their model. The problem is that digital distribution still doesn't fund a game or market it. The developers still need more and more millions to satisfy the public's demand for better graphics over better games. And they still need to have a larger and more effective marketing compaign than the other guys to get their game noticed. This is the bulk of what publishers do and I can't see how digital distribution is going to change that.

You got that exactly right. People out there are generally completely clueless as to what's really going on. The common myth of good-developer-bad-publisher couldn't be farther from the truth. It's completely idiotic if you actually take a second to think about it.

Publishers are in the business of investing into games before they take shape. That's a very dangerous business, and they get burnt left and right, and take losses left and right.

Self-publishing for games might have worked in 1986, when you could build a game in QBasic in one sitting. It will never work now. Who the hell is going to pay teams of dozens of people for years? Who's going to market their products to the general public? theAntiELVIS? The "Game Ebay"? I can just see that now. "L@@K: UPSTART DEVELOPER NEEDS 3 MILLION TO BUILD AWESOME FPS. BID NOW!!!!!" Two years later: "BEWARE! VAPORWARE. WOULD NOT BUY FROM AGAIN."

All of this is a matter of money. Somebody will have to invest the money up front, and that somebody will always be eager to get his investment back. Unless the world abolishes money, changing the means of distribution won't change anything. The developer / publisher relationship will continue for as long as people keep wanting to get paid.

And, oh yeah, publishers aren't all heartless bastards, and developers aren't all selfless prophets. Snap out of it.

23. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 23:00 random.thought

I don't have an opinion of this subject. I just wanted to hear dsmart's comments but you guys flame him off way too quick. You gotta give the guy a little credit, he does get his games published and he does seem to have a following.

22. embrace the many colored dreadlox Feb 1, 2006, 22:52 space captain

Swing down, sweet chariot
Stop, and let me ride

Doin' it up on the Chocolate Milky Way
What's up CC? Have you forgot me?
Are you hip to Easter Island? The Bermuda Triangle?
Heh heh! Well, all right. Ain't nothing but a party!
Starchild here, Citizens of the Universe
I bring forth to you the Good Time
On the Mothership.
Are you hip?
Sing, fellas!

If you hear any noise
It's just me and the boys
Hit me
You gotta hit the band

- parliament funkadelic

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 22:45 BIGtrouble77

If you have a different opinion, feel free to post it as I'd like to hear it.
I don't have an opinion of this subject. I just wanted to hear dsmart's comments but you guys flame him off way too quick. You gotta give the guy a little credit, he does get his games published and he does seem to have a following.

20. Re: hard questions Feb 1, 2006, 22:31 Parallax Abstraction

If I made an error I apologize. But you were quoting my post so that's what I figured. My bad.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction

19. Re: hard questions Feb 1, 2006, 22:14 space captain

I wasn't talking about you. So get over yourself.

I was speaking for Hellbinder - so suck my dick!

Its huge, i know... take your time, bitch

Go forth, and kill!

18. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 21:23 Parallax Abstraction

Nope, I don't work in the gaming industry. Never have and likely never will. However, I follow the industry very closely (mostly for personal interest) and know a few people working in it who provide me insight sometimes. I don't state my opinions out of thin air, I do it based on what I've learned. I've predicted some things and been both right and wrong. Take my posts seriously or not, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not interested in proving you wrong as you're the one making the accusation. If you have a different opinion, feel free to post it as I'd like to hear it.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction

17. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 21:09 BIGtrouble77

To the parallax dude,
I've been lurking these boards for a very long time. For some reason I think you've stated you you were, in fact, in the game industry. Can you point me to some of your credentials? At least with dsmart we all know that he's successfully published a bunch of titles, asshole or not. Just wanna know how seriously I should take your posts because I think they are mostly full of shit. Please prove me wrong.

16. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 21:00 Parallax Abstraction

Once the box goes, publishers will go.

Or more likely as in the case of the EA Downloader, the publishers will just switch their model. The problem is that digital distribution still doesn't fund a game or market it. The developers still need more and more millions to satisfy the public's demand for better graphics over better games. And they still need to have a larger and more effective marketing compaign than the other guys to get their game noticed. This is the bulk of what publishers do and I can't see how digital distribution is going to change that.

A-grade title is about $2

I doubt that'll ever happen. Half-Life 2 isn't any cheaper on Steam and neither are any of the other games that are selling on there now that used to have direct order or boxed versions. It will be nice to see the developer keep more of their money (which isn't a surety, see above) but it isn't going to lower prices, it'll just ensure that the developer possibly keeps a larger chunk of the same high price.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
This comment was edited on Feb 1, 21:01.

Parallax Abstraction

15. Re: hard questions Feb 1, 2006, 20:56 Parallax Abstraction

im just one tiny facet of the infinite horde that lives only to annoy, trouble and disturb you...

so get comfortable

I wasn't talking about you. So get over yourself.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
This comment was edited on Feb 1, 20:56.

Parallax Abstraction

14. Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 20:28 theAntiELVIS

No.

Publishing is an industry based on exploiting those who produce products, while protecting exclusivity with distribution channels and retail outlets in an attempt to stifle competition.

I'll say it again: it's all about the box. Once the box goes, publishers will go. Getting the entire world hooked into broadband tech will accomplish this. When self-publishing becomes viable because distribution is essentially effortless, a renaissance in ALL forms of media will take place. Competition will be between producers of media, not salespeople.

I'm surprised something like EBay for game studios hasn't happened - a single place where media producers can sell their wares using electronic distribution, and the distributor takes a small percentage cut per unit.

It would kill the likes of Ubisoft in a very short time - especially if the median price for an A-grade title is about $20. and the producer keeps 90% of it!

-tAE-

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 20:30.

13. Re: hard questions Feb 1, 2006, 19:41 space captain

You're still here?

im just one tiny facet of the infinite horde that lives only to annoy, trouble and disturb you...

so get comfortable

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: hard questions Feb 1, 2006, 19:08 aldo_14

I'd be more inclined to feel more sympathy for the company if this wasn't the second publisher they've filed suit against in the past 2 1/2 years.

Check out their own NEWS page, 09/03. :\

This isn't one of those companies that horribly underachieves with a crap and late game, sues it's publisher, moves to another publisher, underachieves with another crap game, sues that publisher, and eventually can't get any publishing deals, is it?

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo