Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Stargate MMORPG Announced

Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Announces License Agreement With MGM Interactive to Develop New Online Video Game Stargate Worlds announces plans for an MMORPG based on the cult favorite sci-fi series. The game's Product Section is already online, offering info and concept art, and here's a bit: :

PHOENIX, Jan. 31 /CNW/ -- MGM Interactive and Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment today formally announced their agreement to develop Stargate Worlds, an MMO-RPG (Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Game) based on the popular science-fiction television series, Stargate SG-1. Cheyenne and MGM Interactive entered into a licensing agreement to develop Stargate Worlds in September 2005 and Cheyenne has quickly built a very talented development team and created some impressive initial art and technology assets. Cheyenne is excited to partner with world-renowned MGM Studios, and is proud to be entrusted with the popular Stargate SG-1 franchise. The Cheyenne staff is comprised of a veteran management team that has shipped more than 80 world-class titles, and boasts extensive MMO development experience.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 03:13 VoodooV

SG does need to die hard core.

I used to love SG-1, but its turned into another star trek where the answer for everything is once again, bigger and better technology. Every fucking season is about searching out some secret lost bit of Ancient technology and it just gets old ok? Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but Its getting harder and harder to believe that Earth can go from ignorant of life on other planets, and in 10 short years, be a significant power in TWO galaxies and have more ancient and asgard tech with every episode. Its just getting way too monty hall. They've got a working Ancient warship now for crying out loud...enough is enough. Its getting too ridiculous that Earth has been under attack at least twice, and the world at large is still ignorant of what's going on. They really need to let the Stargate program out of the closet. THAT would be an episode worth watching again.

I think the problem though is that they've become propagandists for the Air Force way too much now. They can't have any dark gritty episodes, cuz they're too busy being a recruitment show for the AF And they can't risk being 'real' or the AF might frown on it and pull support.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Armed Forces, but, I get a little tired of this "everything is perfect and honorable when you're in the military" recruitment spiel.

SG-1 and Atlantis need to end. or radically change

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. SG Worlds Feb 2, 2006, 04:28 jordie

Just cause its old it doesn't mean it won't be good; what it does mean is that it has a alot of background information already and has tons of stuff to play with.

If this game will suck cause its old, then SWG must be the worst game ever because thats a couple of decades old. Warcraft is 12 years old... so Wow is sucky too?

I personally think this game has so much potential and will just rock. Also, there is so much 'expandability' cause they can easily just add new planets at new stargate addresses.

I've always wanted a Stargate MMORPG, and I'm so happy that it will become a reality. Woo! Can't wait!

http://www.stargateworlds.info - StargateWorlds.info Community Fansite

39. SG RPG? Feb 1, 2006, 10:32 FRAGaLOT

Hmm.. considering SG is well over 10 years old now (starting from the movie) maybe everyone is thinking it's lame since it's OLD now. The TV show is getting a little long in the tooth, except SG Atlantis is still good. Wonder if this MMO will have an Atlantis setting also? Probably an expansion pack addon for another $40.

Also turning something into YET another MMO is getting really cliche now. There's already too many out there, and this just contributes to the dilution of all the MMOs out on the market now.

At least it's not yet another "Swords & Sorcery" AD&D knockoff which I'm utterly sick and tired of seeing (AO, Diablo, UO, WoW, KO, GW, ad nauseum).

Problem is, MxO was supposed to break that mold for typical MMORPGs, yet when I played it during beta, I didn't like it at all. Same with SWG.

I'm hate skill grinding, I hate leveling. I hate not having the freedom to explore the environment any time I wanted, or fear level 5 monsters that are the size of a RABBIT that can kill me in one hit, when my avatar is a towering HULK of a beast that doesn't have the skills or the LVL to step on a cockroach with his size 15 shoes.

But regardless, let us know when the beta test starts Blue!

__ FRAGaLOT
http://home.comcast.net/~zalle2/blog.htm

__ FRAGaLOT

38. Re: Romero Feb 1, 2006, 07:56 Devster

Thanks, watson, it was elementary.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

37. Re: Fifth Element Feb 1, 2006, 06:51 DarkCntry

BTW, I always wondered if the The Fifth Element would work as an MMO. Its one of my favorite movies of all time.

I honestly cannot see how, considering it was highly linear to Lelu and basically revolved around her 'mission'. Sure there is a universe there, but it's only there and not an actual 'character' in the sense like something Stargate could produce.

36. Re: Romero Jan 31, 2006, 22:34 MindTrigger

BTW, I always wondered if the The Fifth Element would work as an MMO. Its one of my favorite movies of all time.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
Guild Wars lvl 17 R/Mo: "Oceas Saeco"
"My Gamer Fragged Your Honor Student"

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

35. Re: Romero Jan 31, 2006, 22:23 MindTrigger

I too think the TV show sucked ass, but the movie is awesome. It's a great setting for an MMORPG. When it comes out, in 2011, I will have to check it out.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
Guild Wars lvl 17 R/Mo: "Oceas Saeco"
"My Gamer Fragged Your Honor Student"

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

34. Re: Romero Jan 31, 2006, 22:00 CR0C0

brilliant deduction Holmes

33. yay Jan 31, 2006, 20:23 Some Dude

Damn, I hope this works out. Although I feel the series has jumped the shark it's still a rich and interesting place to set an MMO.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 20:23.

32. No subject Jan 31, 2006, 19:21 Hellbinder

The Stargate universe is a great setting for a MMO. It has all the elements built into it. An established history, a strong enemy race, multiple races and casts, multiple career paths, mix of modern and future, and "weird" technologies.

You have multiple planets to explore, built in dynamic mission generation for team play that makes sense. The opportunity to explore and discover unique items, spiritual journeys, fighting for survival etc.

This is an absolutely brilliant foundation for a great single/squad based online RPG.

For the life of me i cant see why some of you are negative on this idea. Sometime I think people here don’t even try to be fair about anything before they fly into one unjustified mindless rant after the next.

The Whales name is Bob.

31. Re: Fringeworthy MMO Jan 31, 2006, 18:27 Camaro76

Oh well, thats the industry we're in. Which is why, I'm bailing from the PC platform and leaving you bastards to it.

Oh joyous day! I don't think I've ever been so happy in my life!

-----
Blue's Post Enhancer Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

30. Re: Fringeworthy MMO Jan 31, 2006, 17:39 Midnight

I'm waiting on the announcement of "Firefly-The Game".

Now *that* would be bliss!

http://www.davidcsimon.com

http://www.crimsondark.com

29. oh snap! Jan 31, 2006, 16:59 space captain

begin thread whompus: now

Go forth, and kill!

28. Re: Fringeworthy MMO Jan 31, 2006, 16:55  dsmart 

I dunno, SWG did one thing right in that it integrated a land and space component effectively, the problem was they never worked on the details of adding content to the space side of things.

Its not seamless. It is zoned. Not the same thing.

Hey, being optimistic is something I'm good at, at least it's ended up with Empire at War which I thought might've gone the way of Rebellion

LOL!!! Yeah, thats true.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

27. Re: Fringeworthy MMO Jan 31, 2006, 16:27 DarkCntry

For one thing, if they're thinking of creating a seamless space+planetary world, they can forget it because their troubles are already beginning. To wit: SWG. Not to mention that I'm the only person on the planet with that technology and it was no mean feat at that.

I dunno, SWG did one thing right in that it integrated a land and space component effectively, the problem was they never worked on the details of adding content to the space side of things.

Hey, being optimistic is something I'm good at, at least it's ended up with Empire at War which I thought might've gone the way of Rebellion

26. Re: SG1=Lame Jan 31, 2006, 16:07 wrecklass

> "SG1 is 60's Batman lame with its cheesy acting and plots. I dont know anybody who likes the series. I did like the film though."

Oddly, my wife hated the movie, but likes the Series very much. I am the same way. The characters are a bit campy, but the humor is just too much. And I cannot get enough of the anti-McGyver character that Anderson ended up playing.

25. Romero Jan 31, 2006, 15:35 Devster

I'm sure all you Stargate fans will be happy with John Romero's efforts on this game...
kidding, kidding!

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

24. Dammit Jan 31, 2006, 15:10 Outlaw Josey Wales

For a second there I read that as Starcraft MMORPG. Then reality set in.  

“How about a nap, a bath and sex with a unfamiliar woman?”
—Cy Tolliver to Andy Cramed

23. ... Jan 31, 2006, 14:37 theyarecomingforyou

Sounds better than the other game did, though I won't be paying for a MMORPG anytime soon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

22. Re: Fringeworthy MMO Jan 31, 2006, 14:34  dsmart 

Words fail me. This is such a bad idea, I don't even know where to begin.

For one thing, if they're thinking of creating a seamless space+planetary world, they can forget it because their troubles are already beginning. To wit: SWG. Not to mention that I'm the only person on the planet with that technology and it was no mean feat at that.

This whole licensed property MMOG land grab thats somehow becoming the norm, is going to end with disastrous results for all concerned.

I for one, wish them luck. They'll be needing it. I'm just a bit concerned that this announcement would serve (to some) as explanation why Perception couldn't move forward with their game since MGM didn't give them permission to seek another publisher. Effectively killing SG Alliance.

Oh well, thats the industry we're in. Which is why, I'm bailing from the PC platform and leaving you bastards to it.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo