Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Dark Horizons (thanks Ant) reports the good news for Arrested Development, that the final four episodes of the season will air as a two-hour finale on Friday, February 10. The bad news is that it looks more like a final finale rather than just the end to the season, as they have scheduled this opposite the opening ceremony of the Olympics. I myself would watch just about anything as opposed to the Olympics, so this is a no-brainer for me, but it really does seem like this one is a sacrificial lamb.

Dark Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Cubefield.
Link: A Name in the Credits? Over His Dead Body (registration required).
Story: King's Fiery Speech Rarely Heard (registration required).
A Stolen Love Is Found, 37 Years Down the Road (registration required).
Science: Caffeine adds some steam to rats' romance, research finds.
Custom-Made Microbes, at Your Service (registration required).
Vibrating Insoles Help People Regain Balance (registration required).
Media: Wonderful Block Tower.
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.
UserFriendly. Thanks Flying Penguin.

View
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

72. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 18:41 Prez

My parents live in Riverdale, NJ. Their 2004 property taxes were $8600.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 13:00 xXBatmanXx

Unfortunately, your property taxes don't go away and if you're like me, living in New Jersey, your taxes are probably more than your mortgage payment.

Well, to make an apples vs apples comparison, here in MN the FHA loan is I think @ $244,000 max.
The avg home in MN is about $185,000 statewide.

So, taxes on avg would be around $2,200.
This is the median, it would be more in Minneapolis, St. Paul, and more expensive communities. We did just have about a 10-18% increase in taxes for 2006 by the majority of counties.

So, needless to say, property taxes aren't bad, and are done mostly by county - with a point or 2 coming from the city.

Good info:
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/hpci_data/
http://www.bls.gov/ro5/ro5_mn.htm

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

70. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 11:09 Zathrus

I did something pretty f*cking cool right after work - I paid off my mortgage! I am now a TRUE homeowner.

Almost forgot to reply -- congrats man!

We're hoping to move soon, so that's not going to happen here for quite awhile.

69. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 10:55 JM

I can only imagine how flush with cash I would be if I didn't have a monthly payment!

Unfortunately, your property taxes don't go away and if you're like me, living in New Jersey, your taxes are probably more than your mortgage payment.

68. Re: No subject Jan 18, 2006, 10:35 xXBatmanXx

On a completely different note...

I did something pretty f*cking cool right after work - I paid off my mortgage! I am now a TRUE homeowner.

Let me tell you it was hard writing out that huge freakin' check though.

/start Bevis and Butthead
hehehehheheeheh
huhuuhuhuuh
hehehehe
"homeowner"

/end Beavis and Butthead

I won't get into the conversation about how much you paid for your home by paying it off, or that you should have sold years ago and bought something else because of interest refunds, etc etc. Becuase I do think it is cool that you can live without a monthly payment no matter how much you paid out - if you want for the rest of your life.

I can only imagine how flush with cash I would be if I didn't have a monthly payment!

Congrats.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.
This comment was edited on Jan 18, 10:37.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

67. Re: Olympics Jan 18, 2006, 09:09 Zathrus

Sure they broadcast for like 300 hours straight or so, but unless an American has a good chance to medal in the particular event, it seems that NBC just won't show it, nor even make mention of it anywhere.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the root of the issue... I'm all for countrymen/women winning medals, but none of the sports where the US isn't a leading contender are ever shown in primetime. Heck, you'll even hear on the news about some amazing event in some sport, but unless Americans were in the medal race then forget about seeing that video on NBC.

66. Re: Olympics Jan 18, 2006, 02:05 Creston

Back in Holland they showed probably 80-85% of the Olympics. Obviously they did focus more on sports in which Dutch athletes competed and had chances for medals (for example speed skating), but pretty much everything was shown.

When I came to the US, I was stunned at just how limited NBC's coverage is. Sure they broadcast for like 300 hours straight or so, but unless an American has a good chance to medal in the particular event, it seems that NBC just won't show it, nor even make mention of it anywhere.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 02:07.

65. Re: Olympics Jan 18, 2006, 00:27 FourPak

The problem with the Olympics is while there are 15,000 events, you only see like 15 of them.
ayup, and half of those are cheezy events and all of them have annoying TV commentators yapping endlessly trying to package it to make it more 'commercial'.

i'd love to watch the biathlon from start to finish, following the action all along the way, but no one even offers it.

64. Re: Olympics Jan 17, 2006, 23:39 Dan =0)

What nin is trying to communicate (and failing at )

Are you so sure that I'm not failing on reception? I might need to adjust my human ears....

Dan =0)

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Jan 17, 23:45.

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

63. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 23:13 WarPig

Congrats!
Me and the Mrs. are jealous - - we got 10 more years!

Thanks for the congrats people. I had about 20 years left at 7.75% interest, so it was either refinance again or finally just do it. And if you guys saw the house it would probably knock your jealousy down a notch or two - it's very small (but it does have an unattached two car garage).

But it's mine and I can't complain about the payments. Muhahahaha!!

-------------------------------------------------------
I think a good gift for the president would be a chocolate revolver, and since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up real quick and hand it to him. - Jack Handy

GO SEAHAWKS!

62. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 22:03 Warhawk

I paid off my mortgage!

Awesome! Congrats!

We, however, are probably going to build a new house in the next year or so, so put me down for another 30 years....

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

61. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 20:46 banddirector

I paid off my mortgage!

That is SO cool!!! Me and the Mrs. are jealous - - we got 10 more years!

-----------------------------------
Don't be a plonker all your life -- be sure to spread your goop!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

60. Re: BSG, o snap! Jan 17, 2006, 20:13 Enahs

BSGSST:
Of course, Enahs and I thought it would get toasted last ep, so who knows. Maybe they'll rename the show!

The werd in the hood is that next week the Pegasus will attempt to have intercourse with the Galactica so we can have more battle stars. But the previous infection of the cylon virus on the Galactica made it a carrier of the virus but not susceptible to it. As a result the Pegasus will get a terrible burning and itching sensation when it releases its non recyclable waste into space, ultimately causing the Pegasus to come down with sever depression. It will attempt to mate with any and every other ship in the fleet. Upon the numerous rejections the Pegasus depression will hit an all time high (or low…whatever) and it will decide to kill it’s self by running into a small asteroid.

I sure will be pissed though if they turn the president into a Cylon who did not know she was a Cylon. Either retire the character or have her taken by Cylons and inspected and they fix her during the inspections. But she better not become a fing Cylon…that’s all I gotta say.

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

59. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 20:09 Jim

Congratulations! That's quite a noteable accomplishment. I still got 12 years before mine is paid off, but I'm hoping to "upgrade" in the next year or so, which includes an out of state move and going from a townhouse condo to actually owning acreage, so It'll be even longer before I own outright.

Jim

58. Re: No subject Jan 17, 2006, 19:58 nin

Very Cool! Congrats! I'm sure it wasn't easy...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

57. Re: Olympics Jan 17, 2006, 19:54 Gen. Hospital

Ah, finally got the ugly fish.

Thank you.

When it comes to Olympic statics, arranged by gold, silver, bronze:

Sweden: 30 39 30
Norway: 96 90 75

Wonder what country has the most doped athletes?

NOTE: I don't follow cross country skiing, so naturally I looked this shit up at wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Olympic_Games#All-time_Winter_Olympic_medal_table

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people"
This comment was edited on Jan 17, 20:02.

56. No subject Jan 17, 2006, 19:51 WarPig

Let me tell you it was hard writing out that huge freakin' check though.

I think a good gift for the president would be a chocolate revolver, and since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up real quick and hand it to him. - Jack Handy

GO SEAHAWKS!

55. Re: Wonderful Block Tower Jan 17, 2006, 19:49 Jim

Leaning Tower of *Pizza*? No wonder the thing collapsed. Pepperonis and mushrooms aren't exactly the most structurally sound building materials.

And who still uses a wired mic? I'll bet it was staged. Afterall, why build something like that unless you want to videotape its collapse and put it on the interweb?

And it wasn't really leaning either, was it... Galileo would be proud.

Jim

54. Re: Olympics Jan 17, 2006, 19:43 WarPig

I have a feeling hubricide was picked last one too many times at recess when he was a kid.

(just joshin' with ya hubie)

GO SEAHAWKS!

53. Re: BSG, o snap! Jan 17, 2006, 19:41 Zathrus

SSBSGT:
wtf is going to go on with the Pegasus now?

I'm guessing they'll get taken out in the next few eps by a big ass Cylon retaliation attack -- as Six said, God will not forgive you for this.

Of course, Enahs and I thought it would get toasted last ep, so who knows. Maybe they'll rename the show!

BTW, excellent post Bats. I'd just add one thing -- most Olympic athletes hold down day jobs too. Some are cushy, no doubt, some aren't. In the US most of 'em do regular work, with long absences allowed by their employers for training. Some have to quit their jobs though. And in most other countries they have to train only after work and on weekends.

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo