Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Take-Two/Irrational Announcement

Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. Acquires Irrational Games is the official announcement for the story below this:

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 9, 2006--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO - News) today announced the acquisition of Irrational Games, the award-winning development studio behind such titles as System Shock 2 and Freedom Force. Irrational Games joins the team of development studios under Take-Two's 2K Games publishing label.

2K Games has multiple titles in development at Irrational's North American and Australian studios. The first title to be published under the 2K Games label will be BioShock, a role-playing shooter for next-generation console systems and PC. Already anticipated by the gaming press as one of the most innovative next-generation titles, BioShock is planned for release in early 2007.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:47 mag

Eh, fair enough. Is there a precedent for acquisitions changing the flavor of a developer's output?

Yes, yes, God yes. EA has been gobbling up devs and shitting them out for ages. Origin, Westwood, um, a bunch more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:42 Orogogus

Irrational didn't BELONG to them, though, did they?
Eh, fair enough. Is there a precedent for acquisitions changing the flavor of a developer's output?

16. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:31 The Half Elf

Well I hope it's better then the last Freedom Force Game. It just didn't have the gusto as the first game did, and I don't forsee myself reinstalling it any time soon. It just seems the community pretty much didn't take to it like the first game.

Here's hoping better Success with Bio-Shock.
BTW anyone know where to get a copy of System Shock 2?
Thx

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:26 Creston

Irrational didn't BELONG to them, though, did they?

Creston

14. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:21 Orogogus

However, now that a Big Publisher(tm) has acquired them, look for a long lineup of mediocre shit coming Real Soon now.

Electronic Arts wasn't exactly a mom and pop operation, nor was Eidos.

13. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 21:16 Creston

I think any dev who's not a millionaire already is going to have trouble self funding a game. I think that FFvTTR just didn't have a lot of big name appeal behind it. It got good reviews, I loved the first one, and never ended up buying the second one, even though I wanted to get it from them to support them in their games. And I can't really put a finger on why I never wound up getting it.

Oh well, hopefully Bioshock will be good. I just can't really get over the idea of having a system shock type game set in or just after world war 2 (if I understood the small bit that's ever been released about the game correctly).

Creston

12. No subject Jan 9, 2006, 20:47 Sho

Notably, that means their previous endeavour of going the self-funding route has probably failed. See http://pc.ign.com/articles/489/489526p1.html for an interview with Ken Levine on self-funding Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.

11. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 20:17 Creston

which is a GREAT thing, since System Shock 2 is the best game that's ever been made.

I agree it's a great thing, but SS2 is not the best game ever made. The original System Shock is better than the second.

(And in my book Deux Ex beats both, but that's personal).

However, now that a Big Publisher(tm) has acquired them, look for a long lineup of mediocre shit coming Real Soon now.

Creston

10. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 19:40 Ten

How did they screw up the Civ 4 launch? I'm not familiar with that.

Initially the the game wouldn't load for a large percentage of ATI configurations, the install/play discs were mislabelled, cd copy protection (safedisc I believe) prevented the game from recognizing discs for many people, the French Canadian version of the tech tree map was distributed in a few runs in the US edition of the game, several of the special edition manuals were bound upsidedown, no printed manual at all for the Canadian editions of the game (they gave us a pdf on a disc), and tech support that couldn't handle the customer load and ended up ignoring/hanging up on many paying customers. The only release I can think of that went quite as badly was the Ultima IX debacle.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 19:41.

9. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 19:29 nin

Thought the manual was the wrong language and one of the cds was mislabeled?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 19:11 Parallax Abstraction

Take Two is fucked...

No, Interplay is fucked. Take-Two just needs to get their act together and fire Paul Eibeler. I gotta' admit that it is a pretty stupid decision to make your CEO one of the guys who was instrumental in destroying Acclaim. Hopefully some of the acquisitions they are making will give them a roster of more profitable titles than just the GTA series.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
MK DS Friend Code: 210513038300
This comment was edited on Jan 9, 19:24.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 19:07 Parallax Abstraction

After the way Take-Two handled the release of Civ IV I'm not so comfortable with them acquiring dev studios I like

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. Re: No subject Jan 9, 2006, 18:18 Yakuza

Bioshock is the spiritual successor to System Shock 3. Since those EA bastards own the rights to the System Shock franchise, and since it seems they have no real plans to use it (other than the recent announcement of a SS3 title, which maybe only be speculation), Irrational decided to produce a new game in the same vein as SS2, which is a GREAT thing, since System Shock 2 is the best game that's ever been made.

I just hope Take-Two doesn't fuck with the development of the title now that they own Irrational.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 18:19.

5. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 18:06 nin

Take Two is fucked...
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2006/01/take-two-results.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 18:06 DrEvil

BioShock == System Shock 3 ?

3. Re: So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 16:56 Ten

After the way Take-Two handled the release of Civ IV I'm not so comfortable with them acquiring dev studios I like

2. So It's Official... Jan 9, 2006, 16:41 Parallax Abstraction

Well, I'm not big on consolidation, but it's way better that they got bought by Take-Two and not EA, Midway or VU Games. I just hope that Take-Two doesn't pull a Midway and shut Irrational down if they release one title that doesn't sell 50,000,000 copies. But under Take-Two, I doubt we'll see another T:V.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. No subject Jan 9, 2006, 16:41 Fantaz

Better Take-Two than EA I say!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >