Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Previews

• The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on GameSpy.
  • EverQuest: Prophecy of Ro on GameSpot.
  • EverQuest II: Kingdom of Sky on GameSpot.
  • SiN Episodes on 1UP.
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Lockdown on GameSpot.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: SiN Episodes Jan 7, 2006, 05:01 LFace

Sin Episodes felt more like an addon for Half Life 2 from that video footage. Replace combine and crab people with normal grunts and there you have it.

Still looks ok but very HL2 like with the locations and use of barrels/extinguishers

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: On Gamespy's BS Jan 7, 2006, 02:11 Fantaz

Hey, I much prefer games that have all spoken dialog. It's a good change from the norm and feels more like a cinematic experience compared to watching a movie.

12. Re: On Gamespy's BS Jan 7, 2006, 00:28 FourPak

'No Reading Required' was probably a key design feature because of it's release on the 360. pandering to the masses comes first y'know.

11. Re: On Gamespy's BS Jan 6, 2006, 21:17 moritz-s

Man, I miss Baldur's Gate.

10. On Gamespy's BS Jan 6, 2006, 20:52 D4rkKnight

Whether or not Beth-soft has the money to produce an all spoken dialogue game while still maintaning all the content they set out to include does not change the fact that most endevours lead to corner cutting.

Beth-soft has the luxury of doing so because they hit it big with Morrowind. My fear is that smaller companies will see it as a neccessity with articles and responses like Gamespy's, and because they cannot afford such a extensive amount of voice, they decide to cut off pieces of their story, or simply drop entire sub-plots as a result.

Do gamers today lack imagination so much that they cannot use it and do what all humans do when they read books...hear the words in their head, assign their own perfect voices, and thoroughly ENJOY reading because it is fundamental to our intelligence and as I mentioned our imagination.

I'm not tottally against speech, I know it can sway emotions and instill awe when used appropriately, but I do not think RPG games are at a stage where they can afford to make such an investment. I'm not angry or dissapointed at ALL that Oblivion will be full speech, they have the resources to do so, and so more power to them. But to claim that having to read is a detriment to a game is just absurd.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 20:54.

9. No subject Jan 6, 2006, 19:44 space captain

there is something like 3GB of encoded audio... there is subtitles too

Go forth, and kill!

8. Obliv. Jan 6, 2006, 19:37 D4rkKnight

Oblivion features only spoken dialogue, so you won't have to waste your time with any of that messy "reading" that plagues other RPGs.

I sincerly hope that is a joke, what a ridiculous thing to say otherwise. The day all rpgs go full spoken dialogue is the day the RPG genre falls another notch and continues to descend into mediocrity.

7. Re: Oblivion Jan 6, 2006, 17:03 nin

I'm much more worried about the game's system requirements. I think it might be a beast.

No kidding...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Oblivion Jan 6, 2006, 17:02 Bunko

Looks like they had to look really hard to find something negative to say at all.
I'm much more worried about the game's system requirements. I think it might be a beast.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

5. Re: Oblivion Jan 6, 2006, 16:52 Buckermann

From the gamespy article:
Oblivion features only spoken dialogue, so you won't have to waste your time with any of that messy "reading" that plagues other RPGs.

Well, I certainly wasted my time reading that gamespy preview. And I don't mind reading well written and atmospheric text in a good RPG.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 16:53.

4. Re: SiN Episodes Jan 6, 2006, 16:21 Halo

I believe TES is known for how long the games last. If you want something not as big wait for Gothic 3. =\

3. Re: SiN Episodes Jan 6, 2006, 15:58 kanniballl

My problem with long games is after a while it becomes obvious the developers/designers just stopped trying. The game could start out insanely great, but maybe 3/4 the bloom is off the rose; less cool areas, no "wow" factors, etc.

Think of the beginning of Half-Life 1, it was insanely great. There was so much careful thought and planning put in. Then, by the end with the whole Xen thing you're like WTF?

Oh, and don't get me started on Halo! This is the map that never ends, it goes on and on my friends, some people ...

A short game can have the same quality all the way through. Then they can start on another game (using same engine and such) and because they're starting from scratch it won't suffer as much.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. SiN Episodes Jan 6, 2006, 15:35 Fantaz

Finally, some video footage!! And the game looks pretty good! The screams coming from those grunts sound great. "Ahhh!! I'm burning! Ahhahahah..." good stuff. Also looks like someone was playing with a console controller because the movements looked too smooth. Well seeing this is enough to convince me in purchasing the first episode at least.

As for GameSpy saying that long games are bad, wtf are they smoking? The more bang for the buck I say!

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 15:37.

1. Oblivion Jan 6, 2006, 14:41 Xenopulse

Gamespy's one "Iffy" point:

"A first-person RPG that takes 50 to 100 hours to complete might be a bit much for some people to swallow."

Looks like they had to look really hard to find something negative to say at all.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo