Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Flight Sim X Revealed

CORRECTION: Microsoft Flight Sim X in February 2006 OOPS! on PC Gamer (thanks Frans) corrects a story just appearing in the February 2006 issue of their print magazine, saying that their story about Microsoft Flight Sim X being released in February is incorrect, and that the release date is actually late this year (oops). The other 'oops' in this blurb is that the next edition of the flight sim has not yet been officially announced, so this is the first revelation of the (rather obvious) continuation of the long-running series.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. No subject Jan 5, 2006, 10:28 Luthier

The clouds still kind of look like crap, and I'm not too sure about the water, but the terrain is pretty awesome. If they are going to have little AI cars and trucks and buses driving around, that should be really cool.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: No subject Jan 5, 2006, 07:33 Jim

I love civilian aviation and this latest iteration looks visually stunning.

More exclusive screens here:
"http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams06/fsx0104.htm"

Thanks for the link. I usually read flightsim.com once a week or so, surprised I missed that one. Cool stuff, though no pictures of virtual cockpits yet.

The scenery improvements look spectacular. When its raining at the airfield, you can actually tell the ground is wet! And those flocks of birds look a bit scary. Nothing like getting ready to put my Skyhawk down at a remote little airfield after a 2 hour flight only to decend into a flock of birds!

Jim

12. No subject Jan 5, 2006, 05:50 D4rkKnight

No bump mapping?

11. No subject Jan 4, 2006, 23:26 Pasquinel

I love civilian aviation and this latest iteration looks visually stunning.

More exclusive screens here:
"http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams06/fsx0104.htm"

This comment was edited on Jan 4, 23:27.

10. Re: Windows Vista release title Jan 4, 2006, 22:02 Jim

I bet it gets released at the same time as Vista to show off the emperors new clothes, directx 10.

And that's all it will be, a graphics show-off. Unfortunately it will probably take weeks/months before all the hardware manufacturers make Vista drivers for all their sticks, yokes, etc so none of their real audience gets to enjoy it right away.

Jim

9. ... Jan 4, 2006, 20:46 theyarecomingforyou

As for the same graphics in each, do you mean graphics engine? In which case, you're very wrong. Each CFS had a different engine, based on the one before it, but always practically new. That's why CFS3 ran like a three legged dog when it was released, nothing could run it decent...

They barely changed the games at all... CFS3 didn't look much better, it just ran a hell of a lot slower - games like Falcon 4: Allied Force completely destroy it graphically, as well as performing better, having better production, a better fun factor, having better realism and better gameplay. I enjoyed the original game Combat Flight Sim but found the sequels deeply flawed, 3 especially... I'd be happy if I never saw another CFS game again.

They shouldn't even call them Combat Flight Simulators because they were so arcadey.

I agree completely, and it wasn't even the good kind of arcadey.

NEway, I'm glad this game is going ahead... hopefully it won't be labelled a terrorist trainer, though I imagine WTC mods will appear within no time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: ... Jan 4, 2006, 20:14 DDI

They shouldn't even call them Combat Flight Simulators because they were so arcadey.

7. Re: ... Jan 4, 2006, 19:52 Rigs

I rather liked the graphics in CFS2, especially for the planes themselves. Very detailed. CFS3 had the best explosion and fire graphics I've ever seen in a flight-sim, bar-none.

As for the same graphics in each, do you mean graphics engine? In which case, you're very wrong. Each CFS had a different engine, based on the one before it, but always practically new. That's why CFS3 ran like a three legged dog when it was released, nothing could run it decent...

=-Rigs-=

"If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure." - Dan Quayle

'Who am I?...I am the right hand of vengeance and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are EVER going to see. GOD sent me.'

6. ... Jan 4, 2006, 19:04 theyarecomingforyou

Come on, MS! Some of us LIKED what CFS3 offered (not all of it, but a good bit) and wanted the next one! Damn them and their "if it won't sell a million copies, the hell with it" attitude.

It's their own fault for killing off the Combat Flight Sim series... increasing the version number and using the same shitty graphics is what killed it, nothing else - all 3 games had the same graphics. I'd rather they didn't bother unless they are going to take it seriously.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

5. Re: Windows Vista release title Jan 4, 2006, 18:48 FloppyGrandma

psst, try reading it again.

it says FSX comes with everything except an air sickness bag, which will come with (the next) version 11.

4. Windows Vista release title Jan 4, 2006, 18:26 DangerDog

I bet it gets released at the same time as Vista to show off the emperors new clothes, directx 10.

Somone needs to tell PC Gamer Roman numeral X means 10 not 11.

3. Re: Finally Jan 4, 2006, 17:03 Jedi Master

I was hoping for CFS4 myself. I saw some unreleased screenshots of what it would've looked like had it come out in '04 as originally planned. Better than Il-2, better than MSFS CoF...
I'd heard rumors of them merging the 2 titles like in the days of old with the "WWI Combat" side of it, but I guess not. Sigh...

Come on, MS! Some of us LIKED what CFS3 offered (not all of it, but a good bit) and wanted the next one! Damn them and their "if it won't sell a million copies, the hell with it" attitude.

The Jedi Master

2. Re: Finally Jan 4, 2006, 13:46 jimnms

I saw a scan of the ad posted here:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=413020&st=0

I was kind of excited, yet worried at the same time since I had just built a new system capable of running FS9 with all settings maxed out with no drop in frame rate, even at the busiest airports.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Finally Jan 4, 2006, 11:47 Jim

Since I didn't see the original (Feb) release date announcement, this is the first official word I've seen about the next revision of FS.

Now to get my cockpit up and running again--and probably have to buy a new PC

Jim

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo