Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy New Year's Eve! I just saw something that reminded me how dangerous the roads can be on this night in particular... Please be careful out there, and use a designated driver.

And of course, as always, for those of you where it is 2006 already, please don't spoil any surprises about what the future holds for the rest of us.

Eve Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Bombs Away.
Stories: Tom Cruise Creates New Slang 'Jump The Couch'. Thanks Devicer.
Spielberg Mulls Mary Poppins Remake.
100 things we didn't know this time last year. Huh?
Science: Study to answer bum size puzzle.
Follow-ups: Howard’s End: Stern’s departure leaves terrestrial radio barren. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Satellite radio Jan 1, 2006, 14:15 Cynips

As much as you think everyone in the world has internet.

the future (quoted in bold for clarity)

I don't see any reason why, in the future, Internet access will be as common as is radio today. I'm not talking about next year or so of course, but not about the present situation either.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 14:16.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. .... Jan 1, 2006, 13:00 xXBatmanXx

off to the Vikes and Bears game here in MPLS.
Although it doesn't really matter, I hope it is a good game nonetheless.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

36. Re: Satellite radio Jan 1, 2006, 12:56 xXBatmanXx

AM and FM will never die.
There will always be more people listening to regular radio than pay for service.

You don't believe there will be free/ad-funded Internet radio in the future?

As much as you think everyone in the world has internet.
They don't.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

35. Re: Happy 2006! Jan 1, 2006, 10:26 Enahs

I live in the south, so I spent New Years even dodging bullets from the retards that love to shoot their guns in the air. Some of the people I was with thought at first it was all fireworks, I taught them the difference between fireworks and gun shots. One girl was like that is crazy and decided to count gun shots. She gave up after she hit 125.

Hooray for stupid rednecks!

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

34. Re: Happy 2006! Jan 1, 2006, 10:15 Masa

I make my annual trip to McDonalds on this day every year,

Hey, I do the same thing! Haha...I think I go a total of three time during the course of a year, and most of those are when I with friends. But New years, or a couple of days after, I usually make the stop for chicken nuggets.

33. Re: Happy 2006! Jan 1, 2006, 09:27 Tango

Happy New Year to all of you. I make my annual trip to McDonalds on this day every year, as for some strange reason it seems to taste particularly good when I wake up

It was like Night of the Living Dead... zombies walking about with their fries and burgers, getting some life back into them courtesy of the salt and fat... loves it

32. Happy 2006! Jan 1, 2006, 09:18 MrJonesPY

Happy New Year!!!
I hope you all have a great 2006 with many spare time for playing!
My NewYear resolution, "play more"!

31. Re: Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 04:56 complicity

I really felt bad for him.
Listening to him made me sad. I didn't even realize/remember that he had a stroke. Dick Clark is supposed to live forever.

Happy New Year, everybody.

Holy crap, it's 5am.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

30. Re: Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 04:17 Cynips

Happy New Year everyone!
Seconded. While 2005 wasn't horrible, I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for 2006 to be better for everyone.
Agreed.

We managed to wake the smallest one with the champagne cork hitting the ceiling with a bang, but he happily went back to sleep in mommy's embrace.

listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

29. Re: Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 03:57 nin

where we switched back to TV and watched the Dick Clark special -- kudos to him and the network for going back on after recovering (mostly) from his stroke.

I really felt bad for him. He did a fine job, but there were a few words here and there I couldn't make out. You could tell he was trying his hardest to make it look like every other year he hosted. And I think it took a lot of chutzpa on his part to get up there and do that. Good guy.

Happy New Year everyone!

Seconded. While 2005 wasn't horrible, I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for 2006 to be better for everyone.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: NO! Jan 1, 2006, 01:29 Masa

Spielberg Mulls Mary Poppins Remake

No, Spielberg, NO!

Hell, if that's the case, why not let Tim Burton remake it? His good calling anymore seems to be in high profile remakes. Still not quite sure why I didn't like Charlie and the Chocolat Factory too much...

Then I suggest you find the station in your area that actually does a decent job of traffic reporting.

Which I think is the original point, there aren't many left. I live in a small town, and a college town at that, so the local radio does a decent job at reporting; but looking back, there's really not much to report half the time. Snow flurries, a combine that connected with another vehicle, or another coal truck accident is about all that gets reported though...

27. Re: Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 01:28 Zathrus

We're putting away the Christmas tree ornaments and watching Discovery Channel

We watched BSG all night (Heather didn't see about 1/2 the first season)! Up until about 30 mins before, where we switched back to TV and watched the Dick Clark special -- kudos to him and the network for going back on after recovering (mostly) from his stroke.

Of course, our daugther woke up just a minute before midnight, and I got her calmed down with about 15 seconds to go.

And about 5 minutes ago I think I finally got her to go back to sleep for the rest of the night.

Happy New Year everyone!

26. Re: Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 01:22 Warhawk

T-98 minutes and counting.

We're putting away the Christmas tree ornaments and watching Discovery Channel. Yes, we're exciting folks to be around....

Edit - BTW, weather has been a little crazy here the past few days....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180285,00.html

A powerful storm set off mudslides that blocked major highways and sent rivers and creeks over their banks and into cities across Northern California on Saturday. At least half a dozen people had to be rescued from the rushing water, and forecasters were warning of another storm on Sunday.

California officials urged residents along the Napa and Russian Rivers and on hillsides to collect their valuables, gather emergency supplies and get out.

In the city of Napa, near the heart of wine country, the river was already 5 feet over flood stage. Further inland, Reno, Nev., was seeing its worst flooding since a 1997 flood that caused $1 billion in damage.

Firefighters in the Sonoma area rescued two people from a mobile home park, where 4 feet of rushing water washed at least one home off its foundation, and they were searching for a third person, said Division Chief Bob Norrbom with the Sonoma Valley Fire Authority. Cars floated through the park, pushed by the water.

Elsewhere, television footage showed a stranded driver being plucked from the back of a pickup truck by a rescue helicopter, and another person being pulled to safety through the water.

Rick Diaz went out into a flooded Petaluma neighborhood in a 14-foot Zodiac boat on his own to ferry residents to dry ground and rescue their pets.

"He's a hero," said a tearful Suzi Keber after the wetsuit-clad Diaz rescued two pet lizards from her home.

In downtown San Anselmo, the creek overflowed into as many as 70 businesses, said town administrator Debbie Stutsman. Two people rescued from the rising water there were hospitalized with hypothermia, she said.

"I'm looking out of my office now at merchants bringing their damaged goods out into the street," Stutsman said. "The entire downtown area was under 4 1/2 feet of water."

"It's pretty bad all across town," she said.

Meteorologists had warned that parts of Sonoma, Sacramento, Shasta and Tehama counties were ripe for their worst flooding in years, and they said severe was anticipated upstream in Calistoga, St. Helena and Yountville, as well.

In St. Helena, the Napa River was at record levels, seven feet over flood stage.
The last record flood there destroyed dozens of homes and businesses.

Mudslides closed several major roads, including Interstate 80 in the Sierra Nevada about 25 miles west of Reno. Six tractor-trailer rigs were caught up in one slide on the interstate early Saturday, but no injuries were reported.

I-80, the major corridor linking Northern California and points east, was expected to remain closed for at least two days, said California Department of Transportation spokesman Mark Dinger.

"No work can be done until the slide stabilizes and we don't know when that will occur," Dinger said.

The Russian River at the Sonoma County town of Guerneville could rise as high as 11 feet above flood stage after if the storm expected on Sunday hits as expected, officials said.

Together, the two weekend storms could add as much as 6 inches of rain to the already water-logged region, said Rick Canepa, a weather service meteorologist in Monterey. More than 2 feet of snow was forecast in the Sierra Nevada.

One woman suffered a broken leg when a mudslide destroyed her home in Santa Rosa late Friday. It took firefighters nearly an hour to free her from the mud and debris, said Santa Rosa Fire Battalion Chief Andy Pforsich.

Flooding also prompted evacuations of at least five mobile home parks in Nevada's Reno-Carson City area.

Flash flooding and landslides closed Interstate 5 both ways over the Siskiyou Summit near the Oregon line between Hilt and Ashland, Ore., but Oregon officials said three of the four lanes were reopened by midday. U.S. Highway 101 was closed by fallen trees and mud south of Crescent City.

Rain also started moving into Southern California on Saturday, and flash flood watches were issued for large areas burned by the year's wildfires in Santa Barbara, Ventura and Los Angeles counties.

Even Pasadena's Rose Parade was in danger of rain on Monday. The parade has had dry days for half a century, but float builders were still prepared to roll out sheets of clear plastic to protect delicate flowers.

"I'd hate to be selfish to ask God just for this favor, but I came far to help decorate and see the parade for the first time," Jean Steadman, 79, of Georgetown, Texas, she said as she gathered yellow roses for a safari-themed float.

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

This comment was edited on Jan 1, 01:29.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

25. Happy New Year! Jan 1, 2006, 00:30 Jim

Jim

24. Re: Spielberg Mulls Mary Poppins Remake Dec 31, 2005, 22:57 JM

Jaws
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Indiana Jones
Schindler's List
War of the Worlds
Munich
Mary Poppins

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

23. Re: Satellite radio Dec 31, 2005, 22:33 Zathrus

Heck, some folks call in unusual traffic conditions to the station so they can tell the listeners what's going on.

AM750 has regulars that call in with traffic conditions and they have their own "callsigns". Heh. Oh, and the station is affiliated with a TV station here (WSB), so they split the costs on the coverage.

The news on the station isn't too bad -- you can get a quick idea of the big stories both national, state, and local, but if you listen for >20 minutes then you'll get to hear it over and over again. I stopped listening to their afternoon broadcast a few years back when Clark Howard (it's his home station) cut back his hours and they started playing Sean Hannity instead (puke).

But if I really need a traffic report, then I know what station to turn to and when. As you say, that's not going to happen on satellite or internet radio.

22. Re: Satellite radio Dec 31, 2005, 22:18 Warhawk

Then I suggest you find the station in your area that actually does a decent job of traffic reporting.

In Atlanta, AM750 has traffic reports every 6 minutes during rush hour(s), and while they have some reporters located at the central traffic office, which just reports the drek that all the stations get, they also have a helicopter and two planes for their own traffic reporting.

Ditto. KFBK is always in commumication with the CHP and like Z mentioned, does frequent updates during rush hours. Heck, some folks call in unusual traffic conditions to the station so they can tell the listeners what's going on. The local freeways have traffic monitoring devices to check traffic speeds and conditions. Very handy. They carry all the Amber Alerts and EBS notifications and do a great job with local news. Find that on a satellite station.

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

21. NO! Dec 31, 2005, 21:47 Bunko

Spielberg Mulls Mary Poppins Remake
No, Spielberg, NO!

Please make good movies. Thank you.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

20. Radio... Dec 31, 2005, 21:45 Bunko

Where else can I listen to the likes of Rush
Ewwww...

That being said, I have at least one decent radio station, called EQX, that's out of Manchester, VT and Albany, NY. It's an alternative station that's completely independent of Clear Channel or other such conglomerates and is, unfortunately, a rarity these days. It's plays mostly good music. About 3/4 of the DJs are good. It tends to play a lot of the same songs but commercials are rare and very short when they do occur, so I can hardly complain.

I don't really listen to most talk radio. NPR on occasion. Most of it is junk anyways.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

19. Re: Satellite radio Dec 31, 2005, 21:37 Zathrus

Traffic reports are utterly useless, as they are played after a marathon commercial break by which time the traffic problem is usually cleared or has spread way past the reporter's description (or vice versa)

In Atlanta, AM750 has traffic reports every 6 minutes during rush hour(s), and while they have some reporters located at the central traffic office, which just reports the drek that all the stations get, they also have a helicopter and two planes for their own traffic reporting.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo