Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, today kicks off the extended holiday season for our extended family, with the first of three get-togethers we will be attending. We will head over to my dad's where we will exchange gifts, celebrate the season, and try not to get into too much trouble for paying attention to the Giants game. Okay, that last bit may not be part of everybody's agenda, but it is certainly part of mine... I actually had the offer of tickets to today's game against the Chiefs, but this scheduling conflict nixed that, so my presence will be one of my presents (actually the windy Meadowlands can be so cold this time of year -- especially after sundown -- that the life I saved may have been my own). Among other things, I will get to see my little nieces today, and the doggies will get to play with their Uncle Sparky, so an avuncular time should be had by all.

Seasonal Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Rock Smash.
Lotto Letters. Thanks Kevin.
Link: The Turnpike Prank.
Stories: Popular toys of the last 100 years.
Why Do They Want My Phone Number?
Capitalism at Work on Unwanted Gift Certificates.
Science: Ramp creates power as cars pass. Violating the first law of thermodynamics? Neat trick.
Christmas is damaging the environment: report. Scrooge was an environmentalist?
EU scientists seek big investment in nanomedicine.
Follow-up: Unwed Numbers. On Sudoku.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: King Kong Dec 18, 2005, 14:16 Enahs

BSG?
BattleStar Galactica

You are forever shamed for not knowing that! You suck!

Point out, it is also only the first half of Season 2, but it looks like they are going to be calling the last half season 3?...so lame

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: King Kong Dec 18, 2005, 13:52 The Half Elf

BSG?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. King Kong Dec 18, 2005, 12:29 Ray Marden

I am going to purchase this short, short game today now that Best Buy is offering it, through Saturday, for the price of $30 (plus tax.)
They are selling that joke of a game, Q4, for $35, too.
Noting BSG 2.0 will be out on Tuesday for $33, too,
Ray

Edit: Fixed date.
-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Dec 18, 16:16.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

31. Re: Christmas is damaging the environmen Dec 18, 2005, 11:22 The Half Elf

Enterprise... 1 to beam up, there's no intelligent life here

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

30. Re: Christmas is damaging the environmen Dec 18, 2005, 11:07 Jeraxle

Ok. I need to debunk some of this shit using their own theories.

Oh right, because we all know the earth's resources are infinite, so no worries.

What planet do you live on? Cause it sure ain't earth.

It was a joke post Halsy. Lighten up.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

29. No subject Dec 18, 2005, 09:29 Masa

Ode to the Hong Kong movie genre. Oh I love thee...and oh I love rice....so do I love rice.....and the fact Riley Pizt is a ass hat....oh shit...I am drunk aren't I? I'm sorry for this post. Please feel free todelete if nekessary. Hehee....I just have one too manhy with my Japanese friends tonight. See u tom0roow

28. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 18, 2005, 04:37 Tango

No it isn't. Stupid stupid thing to say.
Don't be a twat. You're either giving an opinion or your making up some rubbish and passing it off as fact. Either way, in MY opinion, it's wrong.

27. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 18, 2005, 02:56 Warhawk

I saw some earlier today - probably about 10-12 of them, 2 tents, several chairs, most of them on cell phones.....

Just drove past there on the way back from dinner. I'd say 20-30 people. The low tonight is 31 F, with "Rain / Snow Showers Early". That's fucking diehard.

Similar forcast here, lows in the 30's, been raining for several hours now. Idiots. They'll probably try to start a campfire in their tents to stay warm, too.

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

26. Re: Christmas is damaging the environmen Dec 18, 2005, 02:51 Halsy

Oh right, because we all know the earth's resources are infinite, so no worries.

What planet do you live on? Cause it sure ain't earth.

"Many defendents get religion when they want mercy from the court. When you see me coming out for Jesus, you'll know they really have something on me."
- HST

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

25. Re: Need Imput.... Dec 18, 2005, 00:38 nin

About the game 'The Movies' worth getting while GoGamer.com has it under it's extended 48 hour madness or let it slip? Almost 20 bucks cheaper then local EB or Gamestop.

Goforit!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 18, 2005, 00:23 MeatForce

Heh, that reminds me of my visit to Kiev, Ukraine in -97. Three weeks and nothing to do night-time but play DukeNukem3D on the laptop (486 I seem to remember) or watch Ukrainian TV (too dangerous for a westerner to walk around outdoors by himself). The only thing vaguely watchable was American films which weren't really dubbed. The original sound was still there but as soon as someone started talking the sound was turned down and a voice read the lines in Ukrainian. Just one voice for all original dialog - no acting, just reading without emotion. Sometimes you could catch just enough of the original english to get an idea of the plot. Needless to say, I played a lot of DukeNukem3D (keyboard only)

HEHEEE!

Reminds me of a trip I took to Indonesia in '87 to visit some family friends. We went down to the video store to rent a movie one night, and picked up a James Bond flick -- think it was From Russia With Love.

Brought it home and were pretty amused to discover that the movie we had rented from a perfectly legit store right downtown in Jakarta was a bootleg made by some dude sitting in the audience with a crappy camcorder (and I mean crappy. This was '87, remember)!

People were wandering through the picture; there were curls of cigarette smoke travelling across the screen; the sound was barely understandable, etc..

But the BEST part was that every time Bond would so much as begin to move in for some action with the ladies, the dude would put his hand up over the lens until the scene was over! LMAO!

Next day we rented Risky Business just for kicks, and I think there was a total of about 10 minutes of visible picture Too funny!

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

23. Need Imput.... Dec 18, 2005, 00:15 The Half Elf

About the game 'The Movies' worth getting while GoGamer.com has it under it's extended 48 hour madness or let it slip? Almost 20 bucks cheaper then local EB or Gamestop.

Fer crying out loud people, I need da info! - Dr Evil

22. Re: Christmas is damaging the environmen Dec 17, 2005, 23:51 Jeraxle

We can all tread more lightly on the earth this Christmas by eating, drinking and giving gifts in moderation, and by giving gifts with a low environmental cost, such as vouchers for services, tickets to entertainment, memberships to gyms, museums or sports clubs, and donations to charities," said Henry.

1. Vouchers need to be printed on something (i.e. trees or plastic)

a. Cutting down trees stops their ability to produce oxygen and counter the effects of greenhouse gases.

b. Plastics are created with the help of burning fossil fuels.

1 = Bad

2. Tickets must be printed on something as well (See Point #1)

2 = Bad

3. Memberships to gyms would promote people having to transport their fat asses to said gym thus wasting fuel. Not to mention the fact that overweight people breath very heavily when undergoing physical exersion.

3 = Bad

4. Memberships to museums or sports clubs.. Hmmm.. Guns are bad people. Fishing is bad.

4 = Bad

5. Wise men say that 'Charity starts at home'. I have still yet to find anyone that has taken care of their children enough that they can just throw money to others. Besides, throwing money is a form of pollution I hear.

5 = Bad

Hence, Now you have overweight people using more gas in their vehicles so they can get to the gym and use more oxygen that is obviously in short supply due to all the trees we've cut down for movie tickets and vouchers for various services. All the while those gun-toting fishermen filling our museums with stuffed fish and gun power kegs from god knows when...

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

21. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 23:25 Masa

Diversity of language is one of the many things that is good about the world.

All your base are belong to us.

Besides, I'd rather read the subtitles on a Hong Kong action movie than hear often-badly dubbed British voices speaking for Cantonese characters. Then again, my favorite HK movies are usually from the 1980's anyway. Then again, I grew up in Arizona and went to public schools until college. Hearing something other than English doesn't bother me too much.

And I'm not just referring to Spanish, but we had what seemed like an unusual amount of eastern European exchange students.

20. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 22:28 Awesome Spume

Diversity of language is one of the many things that is good about the world.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gp32x.com/

19. Re: vocabulary Dec 17, 2005, 20:51 tron

You know it's a good OotB when the word "avuncular" is used ...

i have to wonder... when, where, and why did someone decide that the word "avuncular" was needed?

and, are there other words i'm unaware of that cover other types of relatives? "avauntular"? "avgreatgrampaular"?

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

18. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 19:47 Gen. Hospital

They get to the "when the shit hits the fan" scene. And they say the word "shit". But THEN, they cut to the fan, and then cut away before the (literal) shit hits it. So they would say the word, but not show it...all you see is a perfectly working fan, and then on to the next scene.

*sigh*

I remember from Canada movies being edited for lenght, and edited for content (Don't know the order here, but Die Hard 2 ended up totally butchered. Example: "Yippi-ka-yay", and then totally different voice, obviously not Bruce Willis; "Mr. Smith"). Around here, if it's on after nine, and you're watching, you better be old enough. The only thing I can remember seeing on TV that was edited for content, was an episode of Buffy. Shouldn't have been on that early anyways

EDIT: Not completely accurate, come to think about it. They (Used as venomously as possible; http://www.filmtilsynet.no), used to cut films before cinematic release. They don't do that anymore. What has happened a couple of times, IIRC, is the cinematic distributor cutting a couple of feet to get a 15 instead of an 18, and the later releasing the 18 cut on VHS.

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people"
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 20:02.

17. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 19:27 nin

The only thing vaguely watchable was American films which weren't really dubbed. The original sound was still there but as soon as someone started talking the sound was turned down and a voice read the lines in Ukrainian.

I never will forget when I caught part of "Airplane!" on TV while in London. And it shows how different American TV is from the UK...

They get to the "when the shit hits the fan" scene. And they say the word "shit". But THEN, they cut to the fan, and then cut away before the (literal) shit hits it. So they would say the word, but not show it...all you see is a perfectly working fan, and then on to the next scene.

I'm sure there had to be a few British people watching it, wondering "what that was all about"...

edit:
I saw some earlier today - probably about 10-12 of them, 2 tents, several chairs, most of them on cell phones.....

Just drove past there on the way back from dinner. I'd say 20-30 people. The low tonight is 31 F, with "Rain / Snow Showers Early". That's fucking diehard.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 19:29.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 18:12 Warhawk

I've been told people are ALREADY lining up (locally) for tomorrow's Xbox360 @ Best Buy...

That's nucking futz...

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

15. Re: Ramp creates pw3r... Dec 17, 2005, 17:42 Enahs

Art is subjective. One persons art is another persons trash - literally, in some cases.

Art might be subjective, yes. But having no emotion towards your product and your only goal is to make millions of dollars off it, and continually due the same stupid thing over and over and not take a chance. That is not art, that is business.
The only art that comes out of Hollywood movies is whatever creativity and time the computer 3d artist put into it.

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.
This comment was edited on Dec 17, 17:53.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo