Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Demo

The Quake 4 Demo is now available, offering the chance to sample Raven's recently released continuation of id Software's science fiction shooter series. The demo features one single-player mission and two multiplayer maps, the 326 MB download is available on id Software's FTP Server (direct link), and mirrored on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtwon (registration required), Computer Games, Filecloud, FileFront, Filerush (BitTorrent), GameArena (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, VGPro, and Worthplaying. Update: It turns out this is a false start, and an updated version of the demo is expected soon:

Here's the deal, the QUAKE 4 demo that is on a few sites is an untested version of the demo that was inadvertently on id's FTP. The FTP has since been updated, but not before this incomplete version got out. The multiplayer portion of the demo doesn't work online at the moment. This version is not tested and not final, so if you can let folks know that they should wait for the final version that we're expecting early next week it would help.

View
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

110. Re: Well Nov 28, 2005, 20:20 Beaner

I'll bet you it happens. But yes, over time the bigger you get the more of a large commercial entity you become.

George Lucas did this after Star Wars. His Skwalker Ranch innovated a lot and cut itself loose from the big studio's, but now even he finds himself one of the big guys he use to fight.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 20:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

109. Re: Well Nov 28, 2005, 19:22 [VG]Reagle

"We need some new kind of game publishers made up of devs and veterans of the industry to make and market high end games to the extreme multiplayer fan"--
Yah sure....and then as soon as it gets popular guess whats going to happen.....
I give you one guess.

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 19:22.

As of 06/12/2014 I will ONLY post positive messages. I am done trying to tell the truth about sucky games.

108. Re: Well Nov 28, 2005, 03:56 Beaner

The problem is simply that the majority of online players have either grown tired of the same old footsoldier deathmatch and CTF combat and play larger scale games which incorporate vehicles

You just described Tribes and Tribes 2. The best darkhorse "large scale" mulitplayer CTF game, even to this day.

I think the problem in the gaming industry is that most console gamers or those new to the PC realm of games judge games based on the single player game and the cool graphics.

Us old school folks that remember paying 5$ to play DOOM on an IPX LAN at the local radio shack, things like Action Quake and when the internet was still called the information superhighway judge our games based on the mulitplayer gameplay, movement, physics, netcode etc.

Dont get me wrong, cool graphics are nice, but not to the point where it kills the intense gameplay found in classic games like Q2 or Tribes. If you Quake fans are hurting over Quake 4, you now know what the Tribes community felt like when Vivendi made Tribes Vengeance.

Q4 doesnt quite have that same magic for me as Q2, but it looks pretty and has some new things. Quakewars should be interesting. Right now the gaming publishers have a very general market audience which is pretty generic. We need some new kind of game publishers made up of devs and veterans of the industry to make and market high end games to the extreme multiplayer fan, and the Vivendi's and EA's of the world can market and make their mush for the general console market.

107. Re: Played Q4 demo finally. Nov 25, 2005, 16:01 MeatForce

Ant -- FWIW, I slapped up some feedback in the Q4 Glitch tread for ya!

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

106. Played Q4 demo finally. Nov 25, 2005, 14:51 Ant

Spoilers be warned...

Hmm, the game demo isn't too bad. I really like the second level/part with the trenches. Very cool. Almost, it felt like Terminator movies in the future war against Skynet!

I wonder if there is a lot of these types of environments? I wasn't impressed with the first level. It was like DOOM 3, but I do like how the Stroggs scared me breaking into the pipes. I was leaning on the wall walking, and bam! Scared me!

I do like the flashlight on the gun. How about the other guns?

Multiplayer was very weak. Just like Q3A. Dunno if I still want this game. I like the introduction. Nice umm gibbed bodies in space. Nice trick. I like the drop ship that reminded me of Aliens movie.

Does the game even support co-operative play like Quake2 and original DOOM games?

Music in trench scene was good! I wonder what song that is.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

105. Re: Well Nov 25, 2005, 11:35 Celestial Toad

Quake 4 good. F.E.A.R bad.

Sincerely,
OT

104. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 17:58 Krovven

I'd rather spend less time with quality titles than more time with anything I can get my hands on. And I'd rather replay a great game then play a bland one just because it's new to me

And I dont have a problem with that. I have more free time than others, which is going to change in the next few months. All Im saying is that some people seem to be over analytical of Quake 4 and other games, so much so that they may miss out on some good (not great) games.

ie: If I stayed my course of disliking turn based strategy games and didn't give Civ4 a try, I'd be missing out.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015

103. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 16:54 Riley Pizt

Star Wars Battlefront has 3 more people playing on 1200 LESS servers vs Q4.. thats sad.
The problem is simply that the majority of online players have either grown tired of the same old footsoldier deathmatch and CTF combat and play larger scale games which incorporate vehicles or they continue to play Counterstrike. Online gaming has passed games like Quake 4 by and unlike Counterstrike, there are not enough holdouts to sustain that type of play.

102. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 15:38 Beamer

You don't have that much free time, yet you have already gotten around to replaying Quake 2? Spending an hour or two a day spread over a few weeks doesn't take long to complete a 10 hour game, and it's better than sitting in front of the TV being a veg.

While I agree it's better than watching TV, still... no.

I watch probably 3 hours of TV a week, and play about 7 hours of games, most of which is spent playing my roommates in things at night.

The amount of time I have to give games is next to nil. Hell, it took me a year to get to Far Cry. And I'd much rather replay that then put time into Q4, because playing Q4 just reminds me why some games are so much better.

I still have Civ 4 to get to. FEAR. Stubbs the Zombie. And that's just right now. There are some older games I'd like to play, and a few new ones coming out.

I'd rather spend less time with quality titles than more time with anything I can get my hands on. And I'd rather replay a great game then play a bland one just because it's new to me.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

101. Re: Holy shit Nov 24, 2005, 14:55 MeatForce

See this goes back to something I posted a few weeks ago in another thread regarding Lost Coast. Most hype is generated in ones own mind. I had low to average expectations of Quake 4, having never really liked any previous Raven titles, not being very impressed by the Doom 3 engine and the Quake series single player being average at best. I did expect Multiplayer to be a lot better than it was...which is why I bought the game, and unfortunately I was wrong, which is why I'm selling it now.

Just to be clear -- my expectations for Quake 4 when I began playing it were already about as low as they come for a game that I really tried hard to like. Similar to you, I've never played a Raven game that I was particularly blown away by (in fact their games frustrate me like none other by being a heady mix of great and shitty that is unrivaled by any other dev in the business).

If I was setting myself up for anything in the early days, it was to be pleasantly surprised. That said, the game was actually worse than I had imagined, which was a particularly unpleasant surprise.

I appearently do not put id software, Raven, or the Quake series up on a pedestal like you do.

Yeah, jeepers -- I don't know where I come up with this stuff

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

100. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:48 ColoradoHoudini

There has to be a time when ID and company stops making tech demos and starts making kickass games again...doesnt there?

right now, Star Wars Battlefront has 3 more people playing on 1200 LESS servers vs Q4.. thats sad. Q4 is #22 on Gspys list (for whatever thats worth)... thats sad for such a kickass franchise.

99. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:26 Ray Marden

Well, I would like to think (hope?) I am not that harsh, but that is my overall problem.

The perspective is the main thing. I think gaming has a profound potential. Even my greatest, most classical gaming experiences...pale in comparison to what they could, ideally be. However, I do still enjoy them as a tone and view them as steps forward that ideal experience.

As ever, it is all about perspective. Q4 is ok, but I hope people would play a number of other games before they get around to playing it. Like I said, if somebody outright purchased it for me right now, I would play it - it is a game and a functional one.

Changing perspectives again, looking at "Budget, flawed, quirk games," that is how I can make the comparison between something like Gun and Quake 4. Now, I would pick Gun over Quake 4. It is a seriously screwed up game, but kind of fun, has a much more interesting setting, and the groundwork is all fairly good (just the implementation sucks a bit.) Relative to each other, that is more than I would say for the other game, hence my picking Gun over Q4.

Lastly, I do account for expectations somewhat. That is the basis of the parts I dislike about Quake 2 or even Doom 3; they are not what I knew of and loved from their previous games. With Q4, I do not make the franchise comparison because it is in line with Q2, but I do still hold expectations for having id approval and coming from Raven. In many ways ways that can be unfair; in many ways, that does hold some validity. If Valve releases Paintbrawl, I would be screaming "WTF???" to it.
Besides, you are Canadian!!!!
Posting with the persepctive that I will sign off my post %),
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

98. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:26 tron

THREADED POSTING FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!111

you're mental!

but you're also right... i need to make the switch...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

97. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:14 Ray Marden

On that note, I do not know about the vast majority of the unwashed heathen masses her, but.....

THREADED POSTING FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!111

The vast majority of my replies are directly replies to a specific thread in question. I do realize there are some flat-headed...er...I mean flat-viewing heathens out there and then I try to distinuist when (a) I am making a thread-wide respons or (b) replying to different people/discussions in addition to replies to a specific person/post.
See, more reason flat viewing is just wrong, wrong, wrong!
Wanting to marry threaded view when I grow up! :o,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

96. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:13 tron

i see that no one has been able to come up with anything new that Quake 1, 2, or 3 brought to gaming - except for graphics advances.

i was asking about gamplay advances... all of these games are basically just DOOM in different clothes.

i'm also baffled by folks like ray and meatfarts who spend so much time trying to convince everyone that Q4 sucks. there are tons of games out there that i do not like - but i never bother to go around trying to convince anyone else of my opinions. why would i? i don't have an agenda...

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

95. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:11 Ray Marden

Huh?

I do not think anybody was replying to you, PA. I certainly was not; my post was in reply to "Reactor."
And "Reactor" trashes me while giving little value to HL and Q1???
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, what do I not have an opinion on after all :o, but I hate the "No. You are dumb." types of replies/thoughts.

Otherwiser, some random points:

• I am not writing a full-on review of a game - never have, never will. It reall is just what occurs to me in the short bit I write a post. Likewise, I look at a wide range of things: the game, the game relative to its field, the game relative to what it should be/claims to be. As noted before, I think gaming has the potential to be the absolute, final medium for entertainment and I have very high regards for it. I am looking at games from a perspective of these combined things and it is also how I can sit there and get into inifite details about it, but still love/hate a game and play it/not play it.

• In this case, I veered almost completely into the "How does it feel as I am playing it at this very moment" perspective. I was not "seraching" for stuff, but it is all stuff I noticed. I have referenced things like sky boxes and animation when discussing other games. Obviously, I do not note the general stuff, but I do note stuff I find particularly good or bad. Note, too, these are not constant - even if a game is profound in one aspect, I may especially note the one really bad bit because it stands out all that much more and vice versa.

• I do not think games are ever truly bad/truly great, but a combination of factors. For me, it really is how something "feels" to me and is a combination of things, a collection of my experiences. Who cares if one small thing is particularly good/bad? Now, when lots and lots of things end up veering one way or direction, I do then start formulating a feeling. I am not disliking a game solely because of its skybox - who gives a shit about just one thing? But when my feeling of a game's quality has veered toward one direction, this time toward a generic negative, it was because of a number of factors. If anything, I think this is more "true" representation than anything else. "THIS GAME WAS BAD BECAUSE OF THIS ONE THING" - that seems really stupid to me. Now, a game not being good overall because item A, thing B, location C, aspect D, system E, process F, and so forth...that, for me, is what makes a game good/bad.

• I do concede that things seemed really off from what I had seen and heard early on, but how many damn times did I epxress a desire to play a demo and not being sure? That is the same scenario - lots of things are building up toward a certain direction, but not enough or I knew/played too little to be sure or I might have been completely wrong. Even in that circumstance, I was leaning toward another D3 type game, a game with some great polish and graphics (style aside,) but fairly lifeless and a bit disrespectful to its origin franchise. And yet...I was literally shocked because it was not even to that level. As ever, at least as presented in the demo. There might be more to the game, I do know more than a few people have posted here or contacted me elsewhere than the latter part of the game does improve, but I have only this to base my conclusions upon. For that, I can only wonder. After all, this is what the developer chose to show me as the epitome of its game. If we want to make the "They just grabbed one level" argument, I point to Monolith and F.E.A.R., actually making a demo comprising different aspects of many levels. I do have reviews to fall back on as well, but a number of those have referenced shortcomings, not excelling at any one aspect relative to the field, being a generic, competent shooter, etc.

• Right or wrong, I am very surprised to see id, Raven, and Quake go this route.

• Blah blah blah...I am looking at a wide range of things. For all the items I listed, they do not all carry equal weight. There are some aspects I am particularly worried about (combat, story, uniqueness) and there are many other smaller things that just rubbed me the wrong way or built up to give me the negative conclusion and lead to a questioning of being a console port or the original intent of design.

Everybody, do feel free to argue or disagree, but don't just write people off. Otherwise, please explain my perspective and do not make the assumptions that a poor texture of cables has anywhere near as much weight as weak, simplistic combat does. I did have concerns about the game, but was not sure, repeatedly fretted over the GoGamer deal (ask Dagok how long I quizzed him about Q4 while contemplating that over X3,) and frequently requested a demo. If anything, I think people should try the game. But for the people that do enjoy Q4 on any/various levels, I would highly suggest they buy many other games first: Thief, Deus Ex, Call of Duty, Half-Life, Serious Sam, Medal of Honor, No One Lives Forever, the Doom collection, F.E.A.R., Far Cry, Will Rock, Painkiller, etc.

Nobody is wrong for liking games of different types, with inherent flaws, challenges to entry, or their own preference. Hell, I play and love things like Myst and YoHoHo! Puzzles Pirates, do I not? Heck, I enjoy the shitty golf game on my cell phone!

Truly believing gaming can be the greatest medium evAr,
    Ray

-----
    I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

94. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 14:09 Krovven

You don't have that much free time, yet you have already gotten around to replaying Quake 2? Spending an hour or two a day spread over a few weeks doesn't take long to complete a 10 hour game, and it's better than sitting in front of the TV being a veg.

93. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 13:52 Scottish Martial Arts

I don't know about everyone else but I usually have a shortage of games to play, so spending 10 hours to play through Quake 4 doesn't negatively effect me.

Well I'm not blessed with that much free time, even if I did I'm not sure I'd want to spend all of it playing video games.

I guess what I've been trying to get at is that the very low quality of the game design negatively impacted my ability to enjoy the game. I found Quake 4 only sporadically fun and really only completed it out of a desire to get my moneys worth. I had more fun replaying the included Quake 2.

92. Re: Well Nov 24, 2005, 13:46 Krovven

There is nothing fatally wrong with the game's design, it's not like the AI is broken and the enemies stand there in place unresponsive to your actions. It's just that everything has been done to the bare minimum standard to justify release. Nothing is broken but nothing is good, that pretty much sum up the entire experience.

Exactly. It was an unoriginal, but fun and solid game.

People keep comparing it to other FPS games...but nobody is denying that FEAR, Half Life2, FarCry, CoD2, or whatever else is a better game than Quake 4. I don't know about everyone else but I usually have a shortage of games to play, so spending 10 hours to play through Quake 4 doesn't negatively effect me.

I don't know how old everyone here is...but I grew up with games like Pong, Pac-Man, Asteroids, etc...where games were as simple as pressing 2 directions and a button.

I even found this fun... http://www.iol.ie/~dluby/escape.htm ...granted only for about 10min. Quake 4 was sufficient for me to enjoy for about 10 hours before I moved onto the next game. If others want more, they want more. It's just my opinion that they are potentially limiting themselves if they expect every single game to be the best game they have ever played.

91. Re: Holy shit Nov 24, 2005, 13:35 Beamer

The FEAR AI defintely bested the Lost Coast. But the HL2 AI never impressed me all that much, anyway. They did some cool things, but it always felt as if they mostly just sat there and shot at you.

FEAR was the first game to make me really notice more. Honestly, it's because even when AI is solid in a game, you're usually mowing them down too quickly to notice.

-------------
    Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo