Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Patches, SDK

A new patch for Quake 4 is now available, updating the Win32 edition of Raven's sci-fi shooter sequel to version 1.0.4, as well as updated Linux binaries bringing the Linux client and server to version 1.05. There is also the first release of the Windows and Linux SDKs for those interested in creating mods and maps. All the downloads can be found on id Software's FTP server. Mirrors of the Windows patch are on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Boomtown (registration required), Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, VGPro, and Worthplaying. Mirrors of the Linux binaries are available from 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, FileFront, FileShack, Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, VGPro, and Worthplaying. The Windows SDK is mirrored on 3D Gamers, Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, VGPro, and Worthplaying, while the Linux SDK is available on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, Filecloud, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, VGPro, and Worthplaying. There's more on this in Timothee Besset's .plan:

We have released the 1.0.4 update for Quake 4. Check our website for all the announcement details. This update is compatible with the current release, but we recommend everyone to upgrade. We also released an SDK so you can start making game modifications. There is also lots of documentation on content creation on the iddevnet website.

Now to answer a few frequently asked questions about the GNU/Linux version:

- Linux clients can't play on pure Windows servers 'out of the box'. Even with this update, Windows server still need to put a game pak in their path so Linux clients can join in. This is documented in the Quake 4 GNU/Linux FAQ.

- The builtin level editor will not be available on Linux. As was the case with Doom 3, it is too heavily dependent on Windows APIs to be ported. I would advise anyone interested in content creation for Quake 4 on GNU/Linux to help add support in GtkRadiant.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Wow, ... Nov 17, 2005, 13:40 xXBatmanXx

Batman whatever you took from him give it back, this is insane.

I would say his pride, but he has to have some before I take it. I didn't do anything to him.
If you look through the history, he was being a prick and I called him on it.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53
http://www.misterpoll.com/4272865924.html

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Wow, ... Nov 17, 2005, 13:34 Of Rock Star Fame

Batman whatever you took from him give it back, this is insane.

Good job & here's a hint,,, just swallow or spit, but just fucking choose & do something; that stupid look on your face when we jizz on you is getting old. It was priceless for awhile, but even jacking off on a kid in a wheelchair gets old after awhile. Lick it up, BiTCH!!! shit!!!

How is giving any worse then receiving you moron, unless you just stand by and watch ... wait, that is just as bad too, dumb.

Changing my name.

45. ??? Nov 17, 2005, 13:26 xXBatmanXx

whad i miss whadd i miss!?

Oh, nothing exciting.
No content this time, I was really hoping for something with some gusto.
Just Zeph's mindless diarrhea of the mouth.

hahaha
You want this shit pointed in your direction bitch?

To make a threat, you have to be big enough to back it up. I learned that in 5th grade, so it is on your list of things to do NEXT year.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53
http://www.misterpoll.com/4272865924.html

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

44. Re: No-DVD Nov 17, 2005, 13:10 MindTrigger

Lol Zeph.. be my guest. Your pathetic whining just makes you look all the more stupid. In fact, I can even sign up for a second account here at blues and you can spam your kid-messages at me twice. Would that be cool for you, junior?

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

43. Re: No-DVD Nov 17, 2005, 13:08 Warhawk

What difference does it make? Really - do you think anyone is really "hurt" by your drivel? We just laugh and point at how small your e-dick is to have to stoop to this kind of shit....

*** Warhawk ***

What the hell do you know...

I know it's pretty damn weird to eat people.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

42. Re: No-DVD Nov 17, 2005, 12:41 Zephalephelah

41. Re: No-DVD Nov 17, 2005, 12:37 MindTrigger

Zephalephelah,

I'm pretty bored with your Batman bashing. He must have done something that hurt you pretty bad since you seem to obsess over him 24 hours a day. Or, maybe you are just some undereducated wannabe cyber-bully. Either way you are a cock-gobbler in my eyes.

---

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

40. No-DVD Nov 17, 2005, 10:34 zuul

Best thing about the patch is that i can now free up my dvd drive for all these other games that always require the dvd. Even after being out for along time.:(

39. No subject Nov 17, 2005, 07:06 Kris Redbeard

Gonna try it with Quake4 now - see about setting up a Strogg DM mod (play as Berserker, Gladiator etc, from their viewpoint).

Wow, didn't take long. Basic single viewpoint done and now I can walk around as a berserker. Animations are whacked and you have no 'berserker' attacks etc, but hey, tis' a start and kind fun ta-boot.

Now to put up a website, form a huge team, hype everything, release levelshots and renders (but no real "in-game" stuff), disappear for a month or so only to return and announce some bullshit reason for no longer working on the mod.

Meh.
There is more to a mod then a website full of ideas.
I'll keep toying with this for my own reasons (and personal fun), but I doubt you'll ever hear about it again.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

38. Re: Modern TCs Nov 17, 2005, 06:36 Riley Pizt

I've actaully been really enjoying the FEAR MP... though I was surprised to find out last night that there are only 2 CTF maps!!!!
Welcome to the party. Yes, there are only two CTF maps, but at least they are pretty good ones. Streets is the better of the two. I hope and expect the next update to the game to have a few more CTF maps. A CTF version of Asylum is most likely.

37. Re: Game Sucks Nov 17, 2005, 06:13 Zephalephelah

Batman has been sucking man dick for the last 22 years.

He's constantly found in Rest Areas. Why do you thin there are rest areas? It's like the old west with brothels, only we have fags like Batfag that jack off our truckers so they can stay awake to get our deliveries to us on time.

We should thank Bathomo for fagging the truckers at the reststops & eating cheetos. Cheetos are important. And his blowjobs keep our truckers up. Let's give a good cheer for xXfagmanXx. He's working hard to keep our deliveries on time.

Good job & here's a hint,,, just swallow or spit, but just fucking choose & do something; that stupid look on your face when we jizz on you is getting old. It was priceless for awhile, but even jacking off on a kid in a wheelchair gets old after awhile. Lick it up, BiTCH!!! shit!!!

36. Game Sucks Nov 17, 2005, 06:07 Zephalephelah

Q4 kind of just goes on and on and on.

The time thing is good because at least you don't feel ripped off in that manner. But it's just so completely shallow that you don't even care about the time.

The game sucks .

35. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 17, 2005, 03:18 Krovven

A perfect example is the Dark Forces mod for Jedi Academy.
http://darkforces.jediknight.net/index2.shtml

This started back on Quake 2 or 3, I forget now it's been so long, it was then moved to be a mod for Jedi Knight 2, then finally Jedi Academy. They wasted time releasing demo's and focusing on parts of the whole game rather than focusing on one map at a time. They've lost and changed team members so many times it's not funny...simply because they lose interest in their own project.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015

34. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 17, 2005, 03:09 SquirrelZero

Mod making is hard, no doubt. People hold you to insane standards and practically demand retail quality even on first releases. To those who wonder why mod teams don't release incrementally, it's because of this. First impressions mean everything in today's mod world. It's the same reason people in this thread are so interested in Insurgency and The Dark Mod: they look like retail games. That's what people want, and less technically spectacular mods are easily left in their shadows.

The key thing though isn't necessarily solid planning.. it's motivation. If you have a motivated team who's willing to see things to the end, or even a motivated team leader who pushes people to get there, more often than not, you'll see results. We worked insanely hard on our mod, and not one of us had any game design or modding experience -- yet we pulled it off, because we just wanted it so badly. Anyway, it may not be the same mod scene that created CS, DoD, and NS, but it's still great fun, and well worth the effort if you're willing to put it forth.

edit: Oh, if you don't mind the shaky writing, check out the retrospect of our production:
http://www.pandora-studios.com/foretrospect_feature.php

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 03:22.

33. Re: Modern TCs Nov 17, 2005, 02:57 Krovven

Wow Dark Mod and Edges of Chaos both look great. Definitely looking forward to Dark Mod.

A few months back an interview with someone at Valve touched on the time it takes mod teams to produce a product...basically saying that mod teams are making a mistake by shooting for the "next big thing" and trying to "complete" the project and before releasing it. Also stating, if it s asingle player mod, release it in episodes, and mp mods keep relasing versions and update it as you progress. Mindset being...find out what works and what doesn't by getting immediate feedback from the public.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015

32. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 17, 2005, 01:08 BFSoLo.

mmmmmm ... Q4 Rocket Arena .... yummi !

31. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 16, 2005, 22:56 MindTrigger

What mod makers used to do was release the mod in waves. Maybe the first beta version used the majority of assets already available from the source game, but added some new gameplay rules. Oldschool gamers like me will remember that the original grappling hook in Quake 1 was the Axe weapon id already had in the game, as an example. Rather than concern themselves with making new models and textures right away, they added new functionality. People would even run their mods in existing maps so they could get it out there to the public fast. Later they would add new maps, textures sounds, models, etc, in subsequent versions.

The key seemed to be that if the GAMEPLAY concept you were developing was fun and interesting, people would stick around to watch the game evolve. Threewave CTF and all the other quake CTF flavors started out very simple, and evolved into their own monsters. I remember a simple mod for quake that was called Jailbreak. The first maps were dirt simple looking, but it was so fun to play, no one cared. Jesus, Tribes 1 based it's entire success on gameplay over graphics.

I think some of these TC and Mod makers need to quit worrying about perfection with these modern uber-engines, and start out with adding gameplay elements to existing assets. It seems they come up with these grand mod ideas, and quickly find themselves burried in a second full time job that isn't paying. Worry about the art later. If your mod is worthy, you will have plenty of time.

---

--

30. Patches Available? Nov 16, 2005, 22:52 Durkzilla

So does this patch fix the built-in "Updates" button finding no available updates?

29. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 16, 2005, 22:21 Eraserhead

The last two posters hit it on the head. Games aren't about engines any more - that's why they get licensed. Engines are... well, not easy, but easily reusable.

It's all about the content: textures, story, modelling, scripting and whatever. THAT takes all the development time.

It's like film: anyone now (with a decent digital video camera) can make a film, but unless you have ideas and talent and a script, you aren't going to be bothering Hollywood any time soon.

It's so sad, but also so interesting, to see a mod team saying "We're going to do this and this and this and make a whole new game." More often than not, as soon as the scale of the task becomes apparent, the mod team gives up, slowly. And those that don't go on to work in the industry, which makes a lot of sense.

Uh... ramble over.

28. Re: Mods, Mods, Mods. SDK, SDK, SDK. Nov 16, 2005, 21:08 Ging

Community pressure to get a release of a mod out is huge - I know, I've buckled to it before... What's been said throughout this thread is quite true, the amount of effort required to create a high quality, playable mod is reaching that of nigh on a full game - if you don't hit that standard, people complain until you either give up or actually hit the sweet spot.

I know of several mod teams with 20+ members, my team runs on 6 members, 2 coders and 4 artists... It's a real, real struggle to maintain the level of quality that we expect of ourselves while also keeping people interested by getting releases out.

I think it's quite interesting that so few full TC's for HL2 have come out so far, the majority of mod teams seem to be going for the "get it complete before releasing" ethic - which is fair enough, but it can lead to the situation where your game of choice is out of date and no one cares when you finally hit the scene!

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo