Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: 360 Not Hi-Def Enough Nov 13, 2005, 14:41 Ray Marden

Well, I always thought it was a bit of a misnomer.

I do expect games to become optimized and do more later on, but I seriously doubt we were going to go from the previous generation, one that struggled to even offer 480p, all the way up to 1080i.

I expect 480p will be constant, a few might hit 720p (even if via tricks,) and only the occasional, likely simplistic, title will hit 1080i.
CoD 2 did look sharp for console, but like a washed out CoD1.
It sucks for me, I only have a low end HD Monitor that does 480i/p and 1080i, no widescreen, but on well. If all the industries get there way, I will be labeled a thief and never see 1080i on it anyway.

Hating the current DRM mentality :(,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: 360 Not Hi-Def Enough Nov 13, 2005, 12:38 The Half Elf

The death of PC Gaming won't come from the gamers but from the dev's who see the money that console games bring in. Companies like Microsoft, Bioware, Lucasarts etc are pretty much going after the console market cause of money reasons. While I can't blame them if I were in their shoes, it just sucks for the people that made these companies what they are today.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: 360 Not Hi-Def Enough Nov 13, 2005, 11:30 Tumbler

Speaking of which, anyone know of any games that will be full 1080i? I looked over most of the known titles and I don't see any that support full 1080i. Was hoping tiger woods game would considering the gameplay should be a slower pace and wouldn't require as much muscle behind the scenes...

BEWARE: A pack of hungry trolls follows my posts desperate for food.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 13, 2005, 10:34 Geese

Someone was playing the CoD2 demo. I watched and thought ... damn, my PC does better effects and it's just an OK system

Really? What system are you running? I'd like to know what 'OK' system you have runs COD2 at 1280x720 resolution at a better framerate than the 360. Keep in mind the 360 is $399. And for that matter, the $299 sans-harddrive system could run it as well.

I just find that an interesting comment that your PC does better effects. I have a P4 3.2ghz with a Geforce 6800GT 256MB system. I don't recall the COD2 demo on my PC having ANY better effects than the 360 version.

EDIT - However, I agree that PC gaming isn't in danger of going away any time soon. PC gaming will always have the edge in technology advances, and more versatile input devices. That all comes at a price. Consoles will always offer an experience less than that of PCs (in some areas), but at a MUCH cheaper cost. It's good that we have the choice of which way to go...or go both ways by being a console and PC gamer.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 10:39.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

12. 360 Not Hi-Def Enough Nov 13, 2005, 08:19 Ray Singh

360 Not Hi-Def Enough

They can't even run their launch titles at 1024x768, or the 720p hi def they keep touting.

"The game is stretched to 720p (1280x720) in the upscaler, which is faking HD at best."

"in-game races are actually rendered in 1024x600 to get constant 30fps/2xAA."

Thats sad, either PG3 is really poorly opimized or the hardware is lacking at best. I expected more from the "Next Gen" hardware

11. ... Nov 13, 2005, 08:05 theyarecomingforyou

PC gaming will always be around... the only threat consoles pose is that instead of having PC centric games you have games ported from X360/PS3 to PC, dumbing down the experience and squeezing out developers that actually push forward gaming (Valve especially, with their support of the modding community - even upstart Crytek pushed PC gaming, despite Farcry's serious plot downfalls). However, PC gaming would then just go back to its roots, which is no bad thing - I'm fed up of crap, generic games that don't go anywhere and rely too much on graphics (Doom 3, FEAR, etc)... give me a Civ 4, Transport Tycoon or Baldies anyday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

10. Re: PS3/Xbox 360 Nov 13, 2005, 02:38 John

How much are these mother-chuggers gonna cost anyway?
I think the 360 is $400 with the hard drive. No pricing for the PS3 yet, but probably closer to $500. And then there are the games which will be $50-60 a pop..

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

9. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 13, 2005, 02:33 INTRUDER

As long as PC's exist, there will be a PC gaming market.

8. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 23:56 SquirrelZero

PC gaming won't end. It'll just change. There's still a lot of development going on for PC.

7. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 23:54 CrimsonPaw

i am afraid this is the begining of the end of pc games as we know.

Gotta totally disagree. The PC hardware is constantly being updated whereas the console gets updated every 4 - 5 years. People always want the best looking games and the PC is the quickest way to get there. I don't think we'll ever see the end of PC gaming.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 23:54.

~~Crim~~

6. PS3/Xbox 360 Nov 12, 2005, 23:32 Bunko

How much are these mother-chuggers gonna cost anyway?

Not that I'm buying -- on the contrary, I'm just interested to see how much families are gonna shell out so Johnny can play the latest this Christmas.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

5. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 20:42 rist3903

Eh. Consoles.

4. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 18:53 Tehol

I watched and thought ... damn, my PC does better effects and it's just an OK system. I, too, am glad I didn't catch a ride on this bandwagon. Now the PS3 though ...

ps3 is as good as xbox360 unless you are a fanboi of $mony

i guess i 'ill get both of them but i 'ill wait awhile,when the games are out.

i am afraid this is the begining of the end of pc games as we know.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 18:54.

3. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 18:38 CrimsonPaw

I tried the 360 today...

..and walked away with no regrets I didn't preorder.

Yeah, saw it EB yesterday. Someone was playing the CoD2 demo. I watched and thought ... damn, my PC does better effects and it's just an OK system. I, too, am glad I didn't catch a ride on this bandwagon. Now the PS3 though ...

Shit, that's out the 22ND!?!?!?! HOT DAMN, I'm gonna be picking up .... BF2: Special Forces!!!!

Edit: Closed quote

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 18:41.

~~Crim~~

2. Re: Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 17:51 Ihya

I tried the 360 today...

..and walked away with no regrets I didn't preorder.

1. Xbox 360 Excitement Approaches... Nov 12, 2005, 16:51 Fantaz

Xbox 360 Excitement Hype Approaches...

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 00:14.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo