Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Splinter Cell 4 Teasing

As noted on the Splinter Cell Website, the Splinter Cell 4 - Beware Sam Fisher Website now offers more pop-ups with further hints about the premise of the upcoming continuation of the adventures of stealthy Sam Fisher. Thanks Frans.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 21:55 Ray Marden

Chaos Theory is a must.

Excluding the "for the time" aspect, it is the best in the series. The second game definitely tempered my love for the series and I was worrying that it was going into EA/Tomb Raider land, but that one blew me away.
I bet this is all smokecreen - they have to work Sam back in "good" somehow.
Wishing I could convice Dagok to play and love that one :),
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 20:27 John

Yeah, I played the first game on the Xbox and enjoyed it. Padora I got for the PC and didn't like it as much, even though I did like playing on the PC better.

I haven't played Chaos Theory yet, but I really liked the demo and will be getting it for the PC soon. I'm also looking forward to SC4.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

20. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 16:39 MeatForce

As for Splinter Cell, I agree that Chaos Theory was absolutely great. I never got into the Splinter Cell games until about three months ago when I finished all three in under a week. Ray Marden said once that he hopes this new one will be an revolution like Chaos Theory was and not just evolution like Pandora Tomorrow was. Pandora Tomorrow was good, but definitely not the improvement over the previous like Chaos Theory was.

I'm fairly certain that Pandora Tomorrow was done by a different team than the one that did the first game and Chaos Theory.

I can't for the life of me remember where I read it, but IIRC, Pandora Tomorrow was done by a team in China which would explain why it doesn't quite live up to the standard set by the first or third games - different artists = different art.. I still liked it well enough, but I agree that there was just something lacking.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

19. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 15:22 Optimaximal

tbh, Pandora Tomorrow was wank... The plot was pretty uninteresting, they took an almost step-backwards with the interface and wtf was with that SWAT-move thing...

That train level was brilliant though...

18. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 14:09 Parallax Abstraction

I'll be honest too in saying that I've never had issues with StarForce. I've actually had more issues with SecuROM than anything else (I had to replace my DVD writer to get Act of War to run.) If used as just a straight CD protection system, I don't have much of an issue with StarForce (all the other major protections install hidden drivers/rootkits now too by the by.) What creeps me out about StarForce is that it does have features available that can have it phone home and report usage in a very spyware-like fashion and without your knowledge. None of the games I own that have SF have used those functions, but they are there and could be used by new games or even added in patches to existing ones. That's what I find really frustrating about it. And that you can't remove its drivers without a third-party tool.

As for Splinter Cell, I agree that Chaos Theory was absolutely great. I never got into the Splinter Cell games until about three months ago when I finished all three in under a week. Ray Marden said once that he hopes this new one will be an revolution like Chaos Theory was and not just evolution like Pandora Tomorrow was. Pandora Tomorrow was good, but definitely not the improvement over the previous like Chaos Theory was.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

17. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 13:01 John

Will MGS4 be available on the PS too? I thought it was going to be PS3 exclusive.
Oops, I meant PC, not PS.

As for StarForce, I don't like it either, but I'm not going to miss out on a good game just because it has it. (And I'm against warez. Doing that would just make the devs think people aren't as interested in their games) Personally, I haven't had any problems with SF AFAIK, so I suppose I'm not as must against it as some people. I've had it on my PC for a couple years at least.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

16. Re: CP Nov 10, 2005, 11:13 MeatForce

What monologue? I too really enjoy the SC series, and CT was simply perfect PC gaming.

Shetland's erm... 'State of The Union' address

That whole sequence was just completely amazing, but holy crap did those boys from Montréal ever not pull any punches when they wrote that part of the script!

-----

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

15. Re: CP Nov 10, 2005, 10:36 Of Rock Star Fame

I'm a sucker for this kind of 'conspiracy' stuff, but there was one monologue in there that made me stand up out of my chair and clap -- which was embarrassing

What monologue? I too really enjoy the SC series, and CT was simply perfect PC gaming.

14. Re: CP Nov 10, 2005, 10:24 MeatForce

If a game has a copy protection scheme you don't approve of (e.g., Starforce), you shouldn't endorse it, period.

It's the only way to stop these things, short of warez.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I've done a fair amount of ranting on here about StarForce, and yet there I went and bought a SF-encumbered game.. All I can say for myself is that I am weak and playing the game was worth allowing that crap onto my system temporarily.

Of course, now I'm part of the problem, LOL! (gather clues for stopping me at www.bewaremeatfarts.com)

What, like System Shock 2 good or Call of Duty good?

Shit man.. Don't set a trap for me or anything, LOL! Can I just answer "YES"?

Joking. It's definitely in SS2 land for me. CoD was great, but essentially empty - as in, once you're done, you move onto the next shooter and there's not much to remember about it outside of the action set-pieces..

I still get the creepin' willies thinking about some of the stuff in SS2 because the game did such a fantastic job of making that world seem 'real' to me. Sound, voiceovers, graphic design, etc. was all nearly perfect (never thought the character models were any good, unfortunately).

I thought SC:CT was very much the same. But unlike SS2 where there was the odd thing that felt slightly inconsistent with the amazingly high-quality of the rest of the game, I honestly can't think of any element in SC:CT's design that isn't handled with as much skill as any other.. Ok.. maybe those pre-mission briefing screens felt a bit too video-gamey, but otherwise the whole thing was just consistently excellent from beginning to end. I'm a sucker for this kind of 'conspiracy' stuff, but there was one monologue in there that made me stand up out of my chair and clap -- which was embarrassing

The only thing I have wanted since the very first one in the series hit the PC is for a tiny visual representation of your movement speed in the HUD somewhere. It's TOTALLY not crucial, but every now and then I charge when I mean to creep..

-----

-----

13. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 09:03 Kris Redbeard

Also a pity because it was the best one by far. Actually, I'd have to say it's right up there with the very best games I've ever played.

What, like System Shock 2 good or Call of Duty good?

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

12. Re: CP Nov 10, 2005, 08:57 LOL@U

If a game has a copy protection scheme you don't approve of (e.g., Starforce), you shouldn't endorse it, period.

It's the only way to stop these things, short of warez.

Then again, there's always that angle, too.

11. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 08:40 MeatForce

That could SO not work... Anyone remember a little game called Metal Gear Solid 2, where they took the focus away from the character who everyone wanted to play?

Sam Fisher IS the Splinter Cell... Anybody else is just a pale imitation...

Oh, I agree completely. But like you point out, it wouldn't be the first time someone thought to themselves "hey -- we need to really shake things up here" and then fucked over a pristine series... heh.. ugh.

Pity, since I enjoyed the first two.
I wonder if this will suffer the same fate...

Also a pity because it was the best one by far. Actually, I'd have to say it's right up there with the very best games I've ever played.

But like Parallax points out -- Ubi seems to be a fan of invasive CP these days, so I'd expect the next SC game will come laced with arsenic or something.

Chaos Theory was so friggin' worth it though.

-----

-----

10. Re: Copy protection again? Nov 10, 2005, 08:31 Parallax Abstraction

I think Ubisoft is using StarSpyware for most of its PC titles now unfortunately. Though I don't think Brothers In Arms had it. Not sure about the full-priced expansion for it that just came out.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Copy protection again? Nov 10, 2005, 08:28 Kris Redbeard

Didn't buy Chaos Theory because of the awful copy protection f'n with my system. Pity, since I enjoyed the first two.
I wonder if this will suffer the same fate...

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

8. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 04:46 Optimaximal

Then again, this stuff looks more like intel on Sam to me, so maybe they're going to twist it, and you play someone hunting him?
That could SO not work... Anyone remember a little game called Metal Gear Solid 2, where they took the focus away from the character who everyone wanted to play?

Sam Fisher IS the Splinter Cell... Anybody else is just a pale imitation...

7. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 01:55 fliptw

Sarah's Tombstone says 2008, CT was set in 2007 - as per the rest of the games, its set two years into the future from release.

6. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 01:40 Sepharo

I wonder how the movie is going to fit in with the game...

Here's the script preview:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/splintercell/review.html

5. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 01:12 John

And I bet Ubi's competing in the market with MGS4. Good luck!
Will MGS4 be available on the PS too? I thought it was going to be PS3 exclusive.

4. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 01:01 MeatForce

Playing Sam as a civilian on the run would be awesome.

Then again, this stuff looks more like intel on Sam to me, so maybe they're going to twist it, and you play someone hunting him?

-----

-----

3. Re: Obvious Nov 10, 2005, 00:24 Fantaz

And I bet Ubi's competing in the market with MGS4. Good luck!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo