Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Jack Thompson Under Fire

Jack Thompson fights to get his day in court describes a motion being considered by the courts to have attorney Jack Thompson removed from the trial for his latest anti-gaming crusade, a motion that also asks for the revocation of Thompson's legal license. At issue is Thompson's violation of a gag order imposed in the case, in which "Thompson is representing the families of two police officers and a dispatcher who were murdered by 18 year old Devin Moore in June 2003. In a lawsuit filed against Sony, Take-Two, Rockstar, Wal-Mart and GameStop, Thompson claims that Grand Theft Auto trained Moore to become a killer." Controversial lawyer exits GTA case on GameSpot is a subsequent story based on a Game Politics report saying that Thomson has removed himself from the case, though he insists he was not pressured to do so:

The suit will go forward for now, although the judge hasn't yet ruled on the motion to dismiss the case. Game Politics also reports that Thompson said his departure from the case was inevitable, as he would likely have to take the stand in the case.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 09:50 Prez

It's good to see this guy on the defensive. While he's distracted, maybe game designers can start growing up a bit?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Who shot johnny rock Nov 8, 2005, 08:23 Bill Nakano

hehe. alot of them dont even know what a video game is, and If they did they might not have ended up in Jail in the first place.

Well, unless they played Riddick - which as we know is a prison breakout simulator.

16. Re: Looking forward to trying this one o Nov 8, 2005, 07:50 HellSlayer

lol you would know about San Quentin wouldnt ya? Ya alot of those guys never had a parent that loved them either! Someone to guide them away from the bs man. 18 isnt that far off anus! Relax and let your mommy decide!

"Sure your smart!!!Your just not letting anyone know!!?!

o0

15. Who shot johnny rock Nov 8, 2005, 07:38 Cheese

yeah yeah i just know it was this game thaat started it all, the precusor to GTA, those violent video games, next thing they will tell us is paris hilton is to blame for all the unsafe sex that going on in this country. Funny how the ppl who know the least about a subject often have the most to say about it.

You want a expert on violence then look no further than San Quentin or Rikers Island, ask alot of those guys if they sat home all day and played video games, hehe. alot of them dont even know what a video game is, and If they did they might not have ended up in Jail in the first place.

14. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 06:14 Kxmode

Jack wants to hear us say it so fine! Jack can die for all I care! There are you happy you lowlife, scum-sucking, piece of filthy lawyer trash!

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 06:15.

13. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 06:10 galewind

My whole perspective is that the crux of his argument -- that it should be illegal to sell M-rated games to minors, is a valid one... but the way that he went around it is so bass-ackwards and ludicrous that it makes the argument itself seem invalid.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 06:43.

12. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 04:44 Halsy

Hey Jack, is your refridgerator running? Because if it is, it probably runs like you...very homosexually.

"Sheriff Hank Keough: I brought a pork chop for luck. Maybe you could hang it around your neck.
Hector Cyr: That's sweet. Maybe later you can chew the bark off my big fat log."

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

11. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 04:24 CeeJay

I'm surprised JT haven't noticed something like this :

http://www.hookup3d.com/
WARNING - EXTREMELY EXPLICIT

Talk about hot coffee!

Not that there is anything wrong with that , I hope JT will be barred from court, as much as the next person.

I'm the developer of SweetFX

10. ... Nov 8, 2005, 03:22 theyarecomingforyou

Is JT the most hated man in the world?

Yeah, right after Riley.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

9. Re: Hit the road, Jack... Nov 8, 2005, 03:19 Hump

In a warped way I'll miss him when he's gone. I'm reminded of Nixon's message to the press on an early resignation "Just think, you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. Re: Hit the road, Jack... Nov 8, 2005, 02:43 Fantaz

7. Hit the road, Jack... Nov 8, 2005, 01:25 Camaro76

And don't you come back, no more, no more, no more, no more...

-----
Blue's Post Enhancer Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

6. No subject Nov 8, 2005, 01:24 MacD

Video games are violent! Yadda-yadda-yadda. I wonder if anyone who thinks this is consistent and thinks the book Oliver Twist is unsuitable for anyone under 18 too. I mean, it contains sex and violence too, and the psychological violence is much worse than many a game I've played.

5. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 00:25 Parallax Abstraction

The thing you have to keep in mind is that Jack Thompson doesn't sue the companies for them having made the game. He sues them because of the company continues to produce these games even though they supposedly know that they have a severely negative impact on the mindset of kids and train them to commit violent acts. It's completely unsubstantiated and unproven bullshit (as has been established with the fact that Jack's been shot down in almost every attempt he's made at this), but that's his point. Nothing to do with the games being made, just about the "negligent mindset" of the game developers who make them.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

4. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 00:21 ArminasSeregone

What i dont get is how people think they can sue game developers and the publishers for making and selling a game? There is a rating system for a reason, and its up to the stores who sell the game to make sure the purchaser is the appropriate age. Even then...mistakes happen and parents buy games for their immature and under age kids every day, nothing new. If they sue the game company for making a game that is 'too violent' for children, or for making a game that 'influenced' the gamer to go commit an illegal act, then you might as well start sueing the movie and entertainment industries. Movies are far worse and so can magazines and television. I have a feeling this case wont go very far though.

3. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 00:11 Parallax Abstraction

I follow GamePolitics.com religiously. I think that Jack Thompson has not only shot himself in the foot repeatedly with his dispicable behaviour, but he's also seriously hurting his "career" by doing so. He's set himself up to be sued for slander by so many companies and individuals (Rockstar, Take-Two, Sony, Microsoft, EA, Will Wright, Warren Spector, Eidos Interactive, Avalance Software, Penny Arcade, the Japanese Government and any number of retailers and other gaming web sites just to name a few) that it isn't even funny. The only reason he isn't bankrupt is because these companies have decided to take the high ground and not pursue him. Though one day, he's going to step on the wrong person and he'll get crushed hard. You deserve it Jack. I say to people like you what I say to all others: If you don't like violent games, TURN YOUR HEAD!

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
This comment was edited on Nov 8, 00:17.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: Bye bye Jack Nov 8, 2005, 00:00 Squirmer

Funny, funny stuff.

1. Bye bye Jack Nov 7, 2005, 23:57 Creston

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. Someone might make a videogame about violent doors.

Creston

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo