Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue blinked a bit in our heating standoff last night, giving in to the impulse to fire off the furnace for an extravagant half-hour or so. I don't imagine it will be much longer before we both give up on this bit of wackiness, but it's actually been sort of a fun, if a bit chilly, game.

Chilly Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Rick Dangerous.
infect. evolve. repeat. Thanks Rizzodestructo.
Link: Home page of El Edwards, the voice of You've Got Mail. Thanks Aaron.
Old Fashioned Candy.
Stories: 'Evil' rears its head yet again. Resident Evil 3. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Burger tactics aim to shock children.
The Ultimate Star Trek Collection.
Science: 'Safe cigarette' claimed to cut cancer by 90%.
Asteroid May Yield Next Sample of Space Matter (registration required).
Taser to Offer Stun Gun Cameras.
Media: Family Guys PTV Episode Introduction. Including E1M5.
Follow-ups: The evolution of Darwin and An Evolutionist's Evolution (registration required).
Intelligent design case now in judge's hands.
Big Meteor Shower Puts on Show in Alaska.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: Ca. election (was Re: News of the da Nov 8, 2005, 11:25 Warhawk

73 - for your "worst case scenario" - there is still the option for a judge to hear the child's case and rule that the parent doesn't need to be informed. The other problem I have is that without parental involvement, places like Planned Parenthood do not get involved with the legal side of things like statutory rape, etc. If the parent doesn't know, predators of these young teenage girls also get off (pun intended) a lot more often without being held accountable.

75 - as long as the unions are in control of the process, it will never be fair to the uinion worker. They make it difficult to get the forms, they don't process the forms (one guy had to turn in the form 3 times and waited 2 years to finally save less than $1 per month - what the union told him was the amount dedicated to "political activities" - bullshit). They are often then referred to "counceling" before the forms are processed to try to intimidate them into not following through. This isn't right. The union bosses abuse and abuse this policy for political and personal gain, and it can only be reversed if they have to get permission FIRST to take the money.

76 - If revenues increase, so will the spending. Look here:

http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/bp_nov05/voter_info_pdf/entire76.pdf

What Happens If Revenues Exceed the Limit? If
revenues exceed the limit, the excess amount would
be divided proportionally among the General Fund
and each of the state’s special funds.

The net impact of this measure on expenditures
over time would depend on whether the state were
able to “set aside” enough reserve funds during
revenue expansions to maintain spending during
periods of revenue softness.
• If it were able to set aside sufficient funds, the main
impact of the spending limit would be to smooth
out spending over time—restraining spending
during economic expansions and permitting
additional spending (supported from its reserves)
during revenue downturns. In terms of Figure 3,
this means that enough reserves would need to
be set aside during the “excess revenues” period
to maintain spending at the limit during the “low
revenues” period.
• However, if the state were not able to accumulate
large reserves, the limit would likely result in less
spending over time. This is because the state would
not have enough reserves available to cushion the
decline in revenues during bad times. When this
occurred, the reduced level of actual spending
during periods of low revenues would then become
the new, lower, “starting point” from which the next
year’s spending limit is calculated. This could cause
the spending limit to ratchet down over time.

Call me crazy, but when revenues are less, spending should be less too. I like the fact that spending is limited to income. As far as school spending (and remember, my wife is a teacher), the problem we see is money isn't being spent where it is needed and spent based on formulas instead of where it really needs to go in the districts. Streamline the administration costs and let more $$$ go directly to the teachers and schools. Get rid of programs that don't work. Allow the school to be flexible in their spending to address their needs.

77 - The approval process is necessary for public input and approval of the changes being made. It is the final "check and balance" to a very, at least to now, politically driven process.

Wishing I could pay my bills like governments do

Exactly the reason 76 needs to pass, unfortunately.

*** Warhawk ***

What the hell do you know...

I know it's pretty damn weird to eat people.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Minor GW News Nov 8, 2005, 09:50 nin

Akpuk Lienad is one step (out of three [or is that four, with the doppleganger?]) closer to Ascension.

Cool

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58. Re: Ca. election (was Re: News of the da Nov 8, 2005, 09:00 Zathrus

Ok, I know virtually nothing about the props out there in Ca, but what the hell... that won't stop a lot of the voters! :/

your child cannot take asparin at school

Well, I think that's a fairly absurd rule myself, and hardly one to use as a basis for other rules. That said, is the school district actually providing transportation to the doctor's office? If not, it's not exactly parallel. I also think that most kids who have a reasonable (not perfect; they're teenagers afterall, but at least a non-hostile) relationship with their parents are going to talk to them about it first anyway. Those that don't... well, I just don't see this improving things.

The issue I have with these kind of resolutions is that they're a ratcheting system -- they make no allowances for recessions (which is generally a time when you actually need govt spending to increase, not decrease) and follow-up booms. In fact, the way it's worded it makes it actually impossible for the government to deal with a boom. If revenues have been flat for the past 2 years, and suddenly there's a population/growth boom then government spending simply cannot increase to match the boom. And if there's a recession then not only does spending have to decrease, it takes even longer to get back to "normal".

Yes, I know that government spending is out of control in Ca, but I don't think this is the right way to do it.

Other than that, nice, well reasoned arguments. How they hell did they end up here?

57. Re: Ca. election (was Re: News of the day) Nov 8, 2005, 01:15 Ray Marden

Wait, are we not supposed to fight or something?
OH NOES A CIVIL POLITICAL DISCUSSION!!!!!
73 - My main issue is just that worst case scenario. For that...5% negative scenario, I am ignoring the other 95% positive scenario stuff. Make notification post-procedure and...wait a week (time to heal, leave an abusive parent, whatever) and I would be all for it. I actually think the aspirin thing is silly.

74 - Bump the tenure up to three years and take out the no-hearing clause (make it a suspension pending hearing?) and I would be all for it.

75 - Yeah, I know, I know. In no way will I say this is the most "fair" solution, but I would like something where the unions can actively plan ahead for all donations, but there has to be readily accessible information on what donations will be made and a clear way for members to decline. Ultimately, I am basically for the idea of member control, but I would rather have the burden be on the members than the union. Yes, as whacked as I know that is.

76 - It really is just concern over the power of the governer, the schools never getting back their $3B, and the percentage caps on spending (what if we have a valid need for 4% one year?) Othrewise, I just think we need to deal with other issues in the budget and use common sense.
Yes, I actually used "common sense" when talking about politicians!
77 - The single most annoying thing is the approval process. I know there is a cost to this approach, but give voter approval beforehand and I will basically be fore it. It is that exaggerated, worst-case scenario of districts not, ultimately, being accepted and somebody being elected under rejcted redistricting shenanigans that bugs me the most.

Wishing I could pay my bills like governments do :(,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

56. Minor GW News Nov 8, 2005, 00:45 Dan =0)

Akpuk Lienad is one step (out of three [or is that four, with the doppleganger?]) closer to Ascension.

Dan =0)

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

55. Re: Ca. election (was Re: News of the day) Nov 8, 2005, 00:45 Warhawk

Propositions:

73 - voted yes - Pro-choice or not, your child cannot take asparin at school but can be taken to have an abortion without a parent knowing about it?!? WTF? It is not parental consent, just notification. After the abortion, what happens with complications, if present? The parent ends up running the girl to an emergency room for bleeding or something else for an abortion they didn't even know occurred? The existing law is just plain whack. Parents have a right to know what is going on with their child medically.

74 - voted no - Yes, teachers need to be able to be fired more easily, but I do not see a reason to increase their probation to 5 years. Liked half the bill, but not the other. Also, the firings have to be by a school board, not a principal, so it's not like teachers will be fired at the drop of a hat by just one person.

75 - voted yes - Yes, you are a hyopocrite. Unions now take money from paychecks and use them to support candidates that the union members may not like or support. To make it worse, the only way not to have them take out your $$$ is to actually drop out of the union. Even then, it only saves you a few $$$ per year as long as you keep working, as they still take a large chunk of what they would have if you are still in the union. Unions have their place, but it at the negotiation table, not running a shakedown scheme on their members to keep themselves in power and silence the voice of the union members themselves. Taxation without representation. They also increased collections on union members just to fight these propositions - what about people like my wife who support some of these but their $$$ are going to smear campaigns to fight them? Is THAT fair?

76 - voted yes - As it stands right now, the state is mandated to spend more than it brings in. This trend must be stopped if we are ever to get this state back in solid financial footing. Who opposes this? Hint: the same folks who oppose prop 75 - unions. They don't care if they drive the state into bankruptcy as long as they keep rolling in the dough....

77 - voted yes - This bill makes so much sense I don't see how anyone can oppose it. Mandates that a 3 judge panel be selected to draw political boundary lines conforming proimarily to city and county lines as opposed to all the crazily drawn districts we have now. http://www.assembly.ca.gov/committee/c7/asmfinal/asmmaps/ap4state.jpg Judges are to be chosen in a very detailed manner to eliminate partisianship as much as possible. Rep members choose 6 Dem/Ind judges, Dem members choose 6 Rep/Ind judges, they are drawn out in a raffle, one must be a Dem, one must be a Rep, and the boundaries must be approved unanimously, then approved by the voters. The judges also must not have run for political office in the past 5 years and cannot run for one for the next 5 either.

I agree on the 78/79/80 thing with Ray, maybe for some different reasons, but voted the same.

*** Warhawk ***

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 00:50.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

54. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 23:29 Enahs

From what I can see, the 'better than average' rich might love a flat tax - of course this all depends heavily on what you consider better than average rich and what the flat tax number would be.

Yes, they might…but only because they are currently paying nearly exponentially more than people who make less than them. Which I consider unfair and unjust (see previous post!). Even though I am a broke ass college student who needs all the help I can, I support lowering the taxes for the rich; not for some lame ass trickle down affect….just because I do not feel they should have to pay more for the same privileges because they where successful. But I also can not come up with a tax plan that is fair and would not destroy the economy of any country…soo…eh!

Ray with the bulleted-bold for the win!

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

53. Ca. election (was Re: News of the day) Nov 7, 2005, 23:22 Ray Marden

Yup, yup - I have always voted via absentee ballot. Hell, if I actually had to go to a polling place, I would not even know what to do.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/21902.html

I take it...we are on radically different sides of the political fence? As I recall, 79 and 80 were the only ones I did vote for. Some I just disliked outright while others I liked parts of, but chose the lesser of two evils.

• 73 - Right off the bat, I am very pro-choice. http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/3274.html I am not against the idea of informing, but I am more concerned about the worst-case scenario. On one part, I do think society is still very hard on women (not saying they are weak...but I am not stupid - things are easier being a white male) and, on another part, I can see things getting really ugly in an unhappy/abusive relationship scenario. I might be more open to it after the fact and with a slightly longer time period...but even that still concerns me.

• 74- This is one of those lesser evil scenarios. I do think the tenure rules could be tightened, but I do think five years is too far out and I really dislike the whole "Fired...then you have a chance at a hearing" thing. I do think it is more anti-teacher than anything else and I do not think it actually does much to improve education - there are much more immediate or important things i would work on.

• 75- I can fully understand being called a hypocrit on this one. First off, I am generally anti-union. I think they really had a purpose in the past, but are frequently fat cat type situations now. I have actually never worked in a unionized environment and, if I came into one, I would really be like "WTF? Why would I give you guys any of my money?" Having said that, I have two main issues. My primary issue is that, well, I do think this is done more to weaken unions than anything else. And, obviously, I fall more in line of greed-oriented corporations wanting to weaken employee-oriented unions. On a second minor note, my most unfair and hypocritical note, I think unions are based entirely around the idea of "Many people together, there is a vote/consensus on what to do, and the entire union heads in that direction." I will further be a hypocrit and liken it to something like taxes - I do not have a particular, immediate concern about the other people in CA, but if it is voted to use some of "my" tax money for their stuff, then so be it. But this one is all me. I would be more apt to vote anti-union than to split up the union; I think unions are under fire, there are some good bits to them, and this is primarily done to weaken them against companies/politicians.

• 76- I can totally see the "pro" side of this one, but I still do not feel comfortable with what it is trying to do. I do like some parts of it, but others I do not - I would rather just toss this out and keep the current (screwey) system than put this into place. In short, I just do not like the new powers it gives to the governor position, I think (in my naive, ideal world) we need to work out budgets by being sensible than putting hard (percentage) caps on them, I would like to hold the state to its $3B "promise," and there are too many ways/opportunities to cut back on schools. Obviously, I hold schooling - just teaching and enlightenment period - in very high regards.

• 77- Honestly, re-districting is just...it is as nuts and as big of a game as politics is. It is such a damn game, if you ask me. I almost could care less either way, but there are things that rub me a wrong way: plans that will be invalidated byt voters still going into effect, the "favorite" judges of the week being picked to just make the new districts, and, on a very minor note, the increased cost of this system for all the times things are changed. I guess...I think the system is nuts, but the "pro" argument just feels really weak to me. For the most part, I have seen it presented as more "The *other* evilness in the government (because it is never them) is causing problems...and that same mythical evilness created all these problems...and we need to strike out at this undefined evilness" than anything else. The emotional, "We need to get the big bad!" arguments really do not hold much weight with me.

• 78- It really is that I like 79 more than anytihng else. Othrewise...78 still seems a bit lax on things (loopholes, payola, etc.) and does not have much of a backbone to it. The idea is great, but it can so easily be bypassed and, like I said, 79 is just that much more appealing to me.

• 79- Honestly, to the chagrin of he pure capitalists, I like how much more strict and harsh this one is. Trying to do more for the lower income groups...prohibiting contracts with manufacturers that will not play nice...the strict accounting of the rebates...the oversight board...those are all things I am very much for. I know, I know, how anti-capitalist, how it will push everybody away, how it hinders innovation and so forth - I, for who I am, just do not buy it. I know I am paraphrasing some famous quote here, but I do think it is a huge judgement of any society that does not do its best to help others and especially make sure eveyrbody is healthy. Granted, with my life experienced and with my IQ, I do see a much different world than most humans do. However, I just think it is a horrifically saddening idea tht our health has a monetary component to it. I really am not anti-profit, but I do not buy into the mentality of making the utmost possible profit. If you do not have your health, you have nothing else.

• 80- I am pro-regulation, especially after all the blackout shenanigans. During our worst phase, I was living in Santa Clara and never had an issue. Why? Santa Clara had its own municipal, regulated power. Oh yeah - things were much cheaper, too. Having said that, the state's - the country's - long-term energy plans range from being non-existant to outright scary. This is something that none of us have really looked at or dealt with, but a yes or a no on 80 is not really going to do anything either way.

• Please, peeps, just viewpoints and not flames!
    Keeping things short :o,
    Ray

-----
    I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

52. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 23:13 WarPig

and my gripe with flat tax is not for the filthy rich, but the ‘better than average’ rich

From what I can see, the 'better than average' rich might love a flat tax - of course this all depends heavily on what you consider better than average rich and what the flat tax number would be.

Anyway, here is how it broke down last year...

income / tax percentage

$3500 / 10%
    $7000 / 10%
    $35,000 / 15.7%
    $75,000 / 20.9%
    $100,000 / 22.6%
    Over $319,000 / 35% minus $19,092.50

And yes I know this doesn't account for tax loopholes.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

-------------------------------------------------------
    I guess of all my uncles, I liked Uncle Caveman the best. We called him Uncle Caveman because he lived in a cave, and because sometimes he'd eat one of us. Later on, we found out he was a bear.

GO SEAHAWKS!

51. Re: Games, Movies and whatnot Nov 7, 2005, 22:59 Dan =0)

Damn, Waldenbooks still exists?

Yup... I work for them.

Anyway, WTF!?! If you are going to get X3, GoGamer FTW!

I thought GoGamer was a UK-only site (based on what I'd read here, and so forth)? Gonna check it out, then.

*checks it out and drools at the free t-shirt offer*

Sold! But.. what are the restrictions, if any, on it being an import DVD?

EDIT: Er... more like, bought (the game)!

And I am confused - what was the decisions? Games always win out.

I decided not to purchase anything (for now). I -may- break down and get X3 tomorrow when it arrives at Gramescrap, for the convenience... but the DVD edition w/ free T-Shirt looks enticing. I can just hear you shouting gently prodding from over yonder to persuade me to pursue that option. Then again, I still would like to finish Far Cry, Half-Life 2 and do some time on Battlefield 2 (online, of course)... Oh, and I've reached the Ascension area in GW with my Monk/Mesmer. Have three quests out of three to finish before I can get my way through that. Bleh.

Dan =0)

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása

This comment was edited on Nov 7, 23:13.

50. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 22:13 Enahs

(Answer: becasue it would have been 10% more than what they actually pay now. Under the current system of loopholes and fraud the Wealthiest one percent of Americans pay -Nothing At All- in taxes.)

No. They pay more than everybody here combined, times 100. They go through so much loop holes, and pay the lawyers and accountants because if they did not they would be paying 100’s of millions instead of just millions.

Given the supposed gross inequities of the existing tax system, why is it then that the Conservative Republicans fought tooth and nail a few years ago to =Oppose= the Flat Tax, where everyone Rich and Poor would pay 10% ?

Because 10% of $35,000 a year is $3,500, 10% of $70,000 a year is $7,000, and 10% of someone who makes 100 million a year is 10 million dollars.

Our tax money is to pay for our freedoms and privileges. Why because you bust your ass in college and become a successful doctor and make 4X more than the average person you have to pay 4X more for your civil protection and services, and your rights and privileges for living in this country? Or even if you inherit money that does not mean you should pay for more; if you have/had children, when you go do you not want to leave them something to help better and make easier their lives?

Yes, some of the filthy rich and Hollywood celebrities , ect have completely lost touch with reality and are wasteful and stupid, ect. But I still think a flat tax is completely unfair and actually goes against some of the founding principles of this country, “All men are created equal”…just, if you are financially successfully it cost you more to be treated equal (and no, let’s not get started on the subject that the reach are not treated equal, I know that, but that is not a tax issue but more of a society issue, and my gripe with flat tax is not for the filthy rich, but the ‘better than average’ rich).

Just my opinion about taxes….but do not ask me for a good solution to the problem either….I am studying chemistry in school, not finances or law… good F’in luck to the people that at least halfway want to try and figure it out.

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
    Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
    - W. C. Fields

49. Re: Games, Movies and whatnot Nov 7, 2005, 22:09 Ray Marden

Damn, Waldenbooks still exists?

I know the company was purchased way back when, but I totally remember when it was nearly as prolific as B&N or Starbucks!

Anyway, WTF!?! If you are going to get X3, GoGamer FTW!

And I am confused - what was the decisions? Games always win out.

I never did play Rick Dangerous when I was younger, but damn is that game cheap. I realize a lot of the older games were very exacting, precise, and relatively unfair, but that game definitely has to be one of the cheapest ones I have ever played. Literally, for many places, you have to learn through trial and error...
    X3 sucks as the third game, but is great as version 2.5.
    Missing the days of all the smaller bookstores :(,
    Ray

Edit: Only a few more hours until the next Madness update! Come on, GoGamer, do not fail me now!
    -----
    I love you, mom.
    This comment was edited on Nov 7, 22:11.

Everything is awesome!!!
    I love you, mom.

48. Intelligent design now in judge's Nov 7, 2005, 21:47 FourPak

man, if this doesn't turn out sane, the religious right crowing will be unfckingbearable.

47. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 21:39 FourPak

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works.
    lol, more precisely it's the Conservative Republican Fairy-tale version of how The System and The World works.

In fact, in real life what happens is, when the order arrives the 10th man -- the richest -- grabs all 10 plates for himself and his Yale and Harvard draft dodging buddies, the other nine get the "Trickle Down" crumbs off the table.

Given the supposed gross inequities of the existing tax system, why is it then that the Conservative Republicans fought tooth and nail a few years ago to =Oppose= the Flat Tax, where everyone Rich and Poor would pay 10% ?

(Answer: becasue it would have been 10% more than what they actually pay now. Under the current system of loopholes and fraud the Wealthiest one percent of Americans pay -Nothing At All- in taxes.)

46. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 21:31 WarPig

Yep. One of societies most prevalent hypocrisies: hating the rich while wanting more than anything to be rich.

Edit: Not a response to Batman.

-------------------------------------------------------
    I guess of all my uncles, I liked Uncle Caveman the best. We called him Uncle Caveman because he lived in a cave, and because sometimes he'd eat one of us. Later on, we found out he was a bear.
    This comment was edited on Nov 7, 21:32.

GO SEAHAWKS!

45. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 21:30 xXBatmanXx

umm. Too bad the "rich" don't pay 59% of all taxes!
    If that were the case, we would all be better off.

In fact, I am sure that being at my age, white, and single (get married next fall) I pay a larger % of tax than the "rich" man.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
    FUNGS 53
    http://www.misterpoll.com/4272865924.html
    This comment was edited on Nov 7, 21:31.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
    Playing: New dad

44. Re: News of the day Nov 7, 2005, 21:20 Warhawk

I think I voted (absentee) "No" on all but props 79 and 80.

Ray, please tell me you didn't....

Some of these reforms are really needed.

BTW - an interesting look at taxes and tax cuts:

Understanding the Tax System This is a VERY simple way to understand the tax laws. Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this. The first four men -- the poorest -- would pay nothing; The fifth would pay $1: the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12; The ninth $18. The tenth man -- the richest -- would pay $59. That's what they decided to do. The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement -- until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20. "So dinner for the ten only cost $80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six -- the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fairshare?" The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being *paid* to eat their meal. So the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth Man with a of $52 instead of his earlier $59. Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to eat for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth. "But he got $7!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!" "That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!" "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!" The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night he didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They're $52 short! And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.

as described by Tom Sullivan. http://www.tomsullivan.com/

*** Warhawk ***

43. Re: Games, Movies and whatnot Nov 7, 2005, 21:13 nin

Interestingly, Best Buy would -not- be getting it in until Wednesday, and shelving it until Thursday this week. WTF?

BB has always had their own schedule. Instead of shipping stuff to stores the moment it comes in, they only ship a few times a week. I'm guessing it saves 'em money...

EB and GS will always have stuff on release day (though as Ray points out, for PC games, they carry less and less) while BB will be a few days behind, in most cases. (Battlefront 2 was an exception, off the top of my head.)

--------------------------------------------------------------
    GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Games, Movies and whatnot Nov 7, 2005, 20:56 Dan =0)

I walked into Waldenbooks, not knowing I wasn't scheduled for tonight. Ah well, more time to wander around the mall looking for games, movies and whatnot.

X3 shipped today... out tomorrow, according to Gamestop and EB. Interestingly, Best Buy would -not- be getting it in until Wednesday, and shelving it until Thursday this week. WTF?

Also, I have to wonder why a flick I would very much like to see, "Schultze Gets The Blues," is freaking $29.99. $29.99! Now I have to choose between that, or X3 for the month....

(Play link) Rick Dangerous is fun, though. (and free!)

41. Re: *sigh* Nov 7, 2005, 20:50 Devster

One of the guys fell off the face of the planet...
    If you're talking about ex-cop Rich Laporte, I believe he had some severe health issues due to lingering effects from the gunshot wound that led to his retirement and he had to give the website up.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
    Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo