Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare and Pandemic Join

Elevation Partners' First Investment Creates BioWare, Pandemic Partnership (thanks Frans) has word a new partnership between BioWare and Pandemic that's the handiwork of Elevation Partners, an investment firm whose board includes former EA president John Riccitiello and rock star Bono. Riccitiello will take the reins as CEO of the new Bioware/Pandemic Studios, which seems a natural marriage, as it sort of mates the disease with its cure. Word is:

Pandemic is known for its top-selling action/adventure titles; BioWare is the leading independent developer of story- and character-based role-playing games. Both will retain their separate brands and creative teams, and continue to operate in their respective cities: BioWare in Edmonton, Canada; Pandemic in Los Angeles and Brisbane, Australia. Both studios plan future expansions at these and other locations.

The cash infusion will allow Pandemic and BioWare to rapidly support new game consoles ensuring each title has the necessary resources to achieve the highest quality. Andrew Goldman, Pandemic Studios' CEO, said that publishers remain vital to the business. "This is still very much a collaboration with our publishing partners. We will continue to innovate and deliver top-quality hit games and they will continue to transform that creativity into blockbuster titles."

"BioWare and Pandemic will use our new alliance as a launch pad for exchanging creative ideas, cutting edge technologies and top talent while retaining our distinctive cultures," said Ray Muzyka, joint CEO of BioWare Corp. "In a business where developers often must sell out to survive, this deal is refreshingly new: a partnership of equals."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. No subject Nov 9, 2005, 19:20 nightfend

I don't think consoles are all bad. I had as much fun playing Jade Empire on the Xbox as I did playing Kotor on the PC. Though Jade Empire seemed a little short compared to Kotor. But that has nothing to do with the console as Kotor was on Xbox as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. No subject Nov 9, 2005, 17:55 Masa

Not sure why this is such a bad union. BioWare produces the best ever conceived, Pandemic produces stuff more on the mortal plane, but still excellent. They put out Mercenaries for the Xbox, I thought that game was pretty damn cool.

52. Re: Gamers sure are cynics... Nov 4, 2005, 23:48 Ray Marden

Aye, I think more than a few are quite harsh, but Bioware is establishing a pattern of moving away from the PC side of things (and we cannot even get a port of things now.)

Further, there is some nice money being tossed around and that has to be justified somehow...so look for a push to release more games and to a more common denominator.

That is partially assuming things, but given what I have seen thus far of the industry, I have no reason to suspect anything else...
And I will not even mention the EA mentality.
Still questioning the mutual benefits,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

51. Re: Gamers sure are cynics... Nov 4, 2005, 16:08 Parallax Abstraction

Well, I can't say that this fills me with excitement, but I'll be interested to see what happens. I haven't had much interest in Pandemic's titles (though Destroy All Humans is neat) and I really don't see how the games they and BioWare develop mesh at all. Also, I don't think a company that has released and still plans to release console-specific titles can say they have an undying commitment to the PC gaming market. Exclusivity sucks, I don't care for what platform.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

50. Gamers sure are cynics... Nov 4, 2005, 06:56 Devster

I'm surprised at the reaction from the usually coolheaded bluesnews crowd... some of us will take a wait & see attitude.

I will echo the comments about dual and widescreen monitor support though; don't use two right now (just at work), nor do I have a widescreen, but I might again in the future, and love the option.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

49. Re: You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 4, 2005, 03:03 Halsy

e are not going to be changing the way we make games. Quality is the first priority and this is going to be reflected in us going forward and making "event games" - games that are tied to their release event, not to any fiscal quarter or some such.

As someone who actually suffered under the trannical yoke of EA, I have to say, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at one of your new management meetings. I forsee you abandoning the PC entirely after Dragon Age and NWN2, or at the least commited to nothing more than a half-assed port at best. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Real CRPG's are still the domain of the PC, and should remain as such. Oh well, if you guys drop the ball, I'm sure someone else will fill the niche.

I can't blame you guys for wanting to expand, such is the nature of business, and you are a business. However, it most definitely escapes my memory the last time I *ever* saw any merger in *any* industry* that truly benefited the consumer, as opposed to the shareholders.

Cake is good... ice cream with cake is better...but no one is ever disapointed with just the cake.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

48. Re: You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 4, 2005, 01:26 Creston

We are not going to be changing the way we make games.

I sure hope not Derek, because you're currently the only developer whose stuff I buy no questions asked.

However, you're not the first developer to get bought / taken over / merged / have some asswipe ex-EA'er who knows zero about games suddenly looking over your shoulder, to say this, and, I'm sad to say, most of the others who've said this never ended up well...

Having said that, good luck on the live team and on Dragon Age. Now that X3 is out, Dragon Age is number one on my must have list.

Creston

47. Re: We still make PC games Nov 3, 2005, 20:52 John

Dragonshard? Don't you mean Dragon Age?

Edit: Ah, you fixed it

Let's just hope Bono still hasn't found, what he's looking for..
Hehe, we can only hope.

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks
This comment was edited on Nov 4, 00:41.

This space is available for rent

46. Re: You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 3, 2005, 20:48  CrushBug 

He is now ceo of Bioware
Ray and Greg are still Joint CEOs of BioWare.

We are not going to be changing the way we make games. Quality is the first priority and this is going to be reflected in us going forward and making "event games" - games that are tied to their release event, not to any fiscal quarter or some such.

Derek French
Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.
This comment was edited on Nov 3, 20:54.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

45. Re: We still make PC games Nov 3, 2005, 20:22 The Half Elf

I thought someone some time had somehow jury rigged NWN on at least 2 moniters if I remember correctly.

But best of luck (hope it's a natural 20 lol couldn't resist) with the live team, but if I might ask, will the Live team also be supporting NWN 2? The reason I ask, is that I hold KOTOR as one of the best Computer RPG's I've ever played and well KOTOR 2 had more holes then the Titanic after going through an Iceberg minefield. And ya know how us PC Gamers are very protective of quality work, namely all of Bioware's RPGs. I'm just not very confident in them with NWN 2.

As for Dragons Age (my bad), it was nice to see 2 new pics, but when are you guys gonna release the video of the Bridge scene with the 300 guys underneath it?

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 23:31.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

44. Re: You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 3, 2005, 20:18 Acleacius

Bioware defiantly seems they have given over to the darkside.
EA mentality is/was based on console franchise domination, achived while running employees and development times into the ground, comes from jr. as far as I can tell.

He is now ceo of Bioware, so now he will slowly start reducing development times and forcing duel development(ie console first priority and PC systems only given secondary consideration.)on all games.

It is not so much their being intrested in developing consoles, its more the idea of having a psychopathic metality as a company strategy being the obvious detriment.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

43. Re: You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 3, 2005, 19:17 Animals for Crackers

Let's just hope Bono still hasn't found, what he's looking for...

42. You have got to be fucking kidding Nov 3, 2005, 19:14 Creston

So Bioware is now in the hands of a former EA CEO and FUCKING BONO>???

Creston

41. God bless ye, and take ye ... Nov 3, 2005, 18:07 Of Rock Star Fame

At least when they hammer the final nail in the coffin of P.C. gaming, BioWare will be at the memorial, remembered for creating a masterpiece – if not, pinnacle – of P.C. Gaming.

I am curious as to what diversification plans Nvidia and Ati have for Quicken Dad and Spreadsheet Mom, who obviously don’t need 1.21 gigawatts space bending 689741XTLZY video card SLI.

40. Re: R.I.P. Bioware Nov 3, 2005, 17:56 Masa

Mass Effect is an Xbox 360 exclusive game.

One of the fewer reasons I'm getting a 360...though I cancelled by preorder/am waiting until middle of next year. Should be able to pick one up cheaper by then.

39. Battlezone meets Neverwinter Nights Nov 3, 2005, 17:49 Charlie_Six

I haven't liked any of Pandemic's games except Battlezone 2. That rocked.

I want Battlezone 3. With an awesome RPG-style co-op quest system. Drive around in your hover tanks with some friends, get a quest from an NPC, go blow stuff up, get "biometal" loot. Level up your pilot's skills, use the biometal to power up your vehicle or get another one. Scripted combat. Dialogue trees. Alignment stuff. SWEEET. And of course, an Aurora Toolset that lets people create thousands of missions for people.
Maybe there'd be missions where you all leave your hovertanks and fight inside buildings.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

38. Re: We still make PC games Nov 3, 2005, 17:41 Fantaz

And don't forget to support us widescreen 16:9 LCD users as well!

37. Re: We still make PC games Nov 3, 2005, 17:30  CrushBug 

how about some really good support for multi-monitors? I always thought that RPGs would work really well designed with dual monitors in mind.
That is something that we are definately interested in. Most of us at BioWare develop under 2 monitors and I would LOVE to be able to game that way.

Derek French
Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

36. No subject Nov 3, 2005, 17:28 space captain

it would be really cool if they made a Battlezone RPG

Go forth, and kill!

35. Re: We still make PC games Nov 3, 2005, 17:19 Bhruic

We still make PC games.

I'm not sure 1 game qualifies as "games". Especially when all of the other announced games appear to be console specific.

Still, I suppose 1 PC exclusive game is better than nothing.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo