Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Hammer & Sickle

CDV announces that Hammer & Sickle is gold, and that the Cold War RPG should infiltrate North American stores on December 5:

November 2, 2005 – CDV’s highly anticipated tactical RPG, Hammer and Sickle, has gone gold for PC today. The game, which is set to ship in North America on December 5, places gamers in the role of a Soviet spy working to prevent a nuclear showdown between the world’s superpowers. More info about the game is available at http://www.hammer-sickle.com.

Hammer & Sickle is a tactical RPG set in the spring of 1949. In the game, the player will assume the role of a top Soviet spy on clandestine duty in the British-American controlled sector of Germany during the early years of the budding Cold War. In a world where no one is quite who they appear to be, the player is trapped in a hellish plot that could trigger a third world war, this time between the United States and Soviet Union and their respective nuclear arsenals. Gamers will have to navigate a web of intrigue and make decisions that could determine the fate of the world.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: About H&S... Nov 4, 2005, 08:08 Paranoid Jack

I just signed up but "the Beta Program is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL" and I had to agree to half a dozen EUAs before even getting into the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: About H&S... Nov 3, 2005, 21:50 Slaughter

Yeah, you might be right regarding Night Watch. I'll report it if I find out anything new.

Regarding WoW, I've heard it's a lot of fun. Your 10 months is a statements to that I guess ;). D&D also sounds like a treat! Love P&P RPGs, and Forgotten Realms is an interesting world - especially Menzoberranzan. Personally I've never played any MMO games because I fear getting addicted, but if I were to try one I think it would have to be EVE Online. I really like Freelancer, and EVE sounds like the closest thing online.

As for Aftershock, I am shocked by the leap in quality as well. I've played close to 50 missions like you, and it gets better an better! Didn't fall for it immediately, but now it's 3:47 am ;). There's still room for improvement, but ALTAR made something truly great here. Aftermath was a little disappointing, so this is quite a relief!

If you give D&D Online a go, let me know what you think.

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

10. Re: About H&S... Nov 3, 2005, 21:14 Paranoid Jack

Yo Slaughter,
Even without the movie to blaze the trail here (in North America). I would think with Nival's reputation for great turn-based gameplay it should still sell quite well. I would buy it even if a few reviewers give it low marks.

The S2 engine in a fantasy setting with magic and supernatural beings just sounds like a winner. Even if I don't know much about the movie or books.

Hope you are enjoying Aftershock as much as I am. I am so hooked. It is one of the best games I have played this year... if not the best. But damned if I didn't just get invited to join the Dungeons & Dragons Online Beta.

I was hooked by the WoW beta and played it for about ten months. Now I have to decide to either continue with my Aftershock obsession or take time away from it and try out D&D Online. Not to mention my copy of Call Of Duty 2 that is collecting dust while sealed in shrink-wrap.

I think I have played roughly fifty missions in Aftershock (since restarting the game for the third time) and I am finally getting a familiar vibe from a few maps. Altar really did a great job with the randomness in the game. Can't say enough about that.

My quest for world domination... I mean the cleansing of Earth & taking it back from these filthy mutants and thier alien fathers will never let me rest.

9. About H&S... Nov 3, 2005, 11:26 Slaughter

@JoeBlack: H&S is built on the same engine, but it includes much more roleplaying. Take a look at the preview at Gamer's Hell: http://www.gamershell.com/articles/954.html

Here's a quote:
To further add to the RPG elements in Hammer and Sickle, the hero&#8217;s daily actions and mannerisms will always affect something in the future. For instance, in one of the earlier missions I encountered a young boy and his mother. If I chose to help the young boy stop a train carrying explosives, he could have helped my weapon situation while his mother could have helped forge documents. However, after a heated argument with the boy that escalated very quickly, I had no choice but to kill him and his mother. With every action there are sure to be consequences, and killing that boy and his mother had its fair share of repercussions. The main hero has a behavior meter, and if he acts extremely out of hand, NATO authorities will interfere and a hell of a mess will ensue. If the forger was still living, she would be able to supply me with a new ID so the authorities wouldn&#8217;t be watching my every move. Hundreds of incidents like these will occur, so it&#8217;s best to be on the lookout for allies instead of rivals. Throughout the entire campaign, an assortment of these RPG elements help make Hammer and Sickle as enjoyable as Silent Storm.

@Paranoid: Sadly I haven't heard much about Night Watch's release in Europe and the US. What I did hear however was that it wasn't too well received in Russia, and thus it's hard to tell if it will be released outside Nival's country of origin. There it had a very popular movie to help it sell, and that's not the case in Europe or the US.

8. Re: Very awesome Nov 3, 2005, 04:05 Duc

Silent Storm without panzerkleins and even more familiarity to JA2.

Actually I am slightly worried it'll just be silent storm with a new front end, hopefully the RPG mechanics and campaign will be all new content.

Apparently its due to ship on monday the 13th of november in the UK, I've preordered it and will post some thoughts if it looks like the US release will lag behind the EU date significantly.

7. Very awesome Nov 2, 2005, 22:38 Bet

Wasn't expecting this out this soon at all. The trailers make it look almost too good to be true. But it definitely seems possible, and will likely kick some ass. Silent Storm without panzerkleins and even more familiarity to JA2.

6. SahWEEET! Nov 2, 2005, 21:28 Paranoid Jack

Glad to hear this news now that we know Oblivion has slipped into next year.

Any word on Night Watch, Slaughter?

5. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 19:42 JoeBlack

I'm REALLY fucking surprised no one is attempting to MOD X-Com on the Silent Storm engine... unless anyone knows of ones that are bearing some fruit?

4. No subject Nov 2, 2005, 15:42 space captain

fuckin awesome!!!

finally, the legacy of JA2 bears new fruit!

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: RpgRpgRpg Nov 2, 2005, 15:24 Slaughter

There are no PKs in H&S  

2. Re: RpgRpgRpg Nov 2, 2005, 12:51 Sty

Yep. And hopefully... NO MORE DAMN PANZERKLEINS!

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

1. RpgRpgRpg Nov 2, 2005, 11:57 FourPak

YAY! an RPG - is this the one using the Silent Storm engine?

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo