Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dungeons & Dragons Online Beta

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach Kicks Off Public Beta with IGN is the press release announcing that applications are being accepted to beta test the upcoming D&D MMORPG. The testing is public, but not truly open, testers will be selected from among those who apply on FilePlanet, and while a FilePlanet subscription is not required, word is that subscribers will receive preferential treatment.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 18:49 SquirrelZero

No, I've read them in their entirety. I've already said I don't think it's wrong. My whole stance is that breaking the rules is not the same as being wrong. Right and wrong are seperate from lawful and unlawful.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 18:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 18:36 Cabezone

I see that you're not really reading ym posts, you're just scanning them and getting pissed. If you look closely you'll see that I agree with you that it's not a big deal. That does not make it right. Same with going breaking the speed limit, it's wrong, but most of the time it's not a big deal, within reason.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

22. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 18:26 SquirrelZero

Reject all you want, then. I don't think it's wrong. Luckily, right and wrong are still concepts relative to each person. Plus, I really don't think you should be lecturing me about honor and all that -- I'm an honorable person, within reason. You don't seem to think it's possible for someone to agree to a charter of rules/laws while thinking only one minute provision is unreasonable and therefore not worth following. This is why I'm willing to break the speed limit sometimes but not willing to commit murder or other serious crimes. It's the same here.

If you don't think that I myself try to live a good, honorable life, all because I'm unwilling to follow a single minor provision in an MMORPG NDA that I think is overzealous, I think that's insane. But if it makes you think you're a better person somehow, do it. I won't stop you. My life sure as hell won't end because some guy on the internet doesn't think I'm honorable.

21. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 18:07 Cabezone

I never said it was a big deal; I simply rejected your argument that it wasn’t wrong to do. It's sort of like telling a child not to pick his nose, it's not really a big deal but it's better to use a tissue. I have no problem with you saying it's not a big deal, with which I agree, but it's still wrong. So is agreeing to a ridiculous NDA with the intention of breaking it. If it's ridiculous, which many are, don't agree to it and play the beta.

I never said I've never broken a contract or my word. I said I would never go into an agreement or give my word with the intention of breaking it. If you can't believe that there's people out there that try to live by the honor of their word then I feel sorry for you. You'll notice that the key word there is..... Try.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

20. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 17:38 SquirrelZero

Oh so now it boils down into a straw man argument of keeping one's word, great. Look, I'll play the game, I'll sign all 3 of their legal agreements (yes, 3!), and I'll probably be a good tester. After all, I did QA for years professionally. If they want to boot me from the beta for telling people that I'm in the beta, that's up to them -- but they won't. Why? Because they really don't care. These NDA provisions are often instituted by a legal department that acts overly cautious because that's their job. Some are reasonable, like disclosing propietary information about ingame content, but some, once regular humans actually read them, are ridiculous.

Since we're on the topic of straw man arguments, I'm just curious -- ever gone over the speed limit? Maybe made a u-turn with a no u-turn sign glaring you in the face? Those are laws, all which you've agreed to by the silent signature you give by living in your state and country. By breaking them you're breaking your word that you will follow these laws. And if you told me you've never done anything contrary to your word, or broken a minor law in your lifetime, you'd be lying.

I keep my word where it matters. That's all I have to say.

19. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 17:08 Cabezone

If you don't like what the NDA says, don't agree to it. I would not agree to an NDA that includes stapling my mouth shut, just as I would not enter into any kind of agreement that I had no intention of keeping.

It all boils down to what kind of person you are.

Do you keep your word or not?

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

18. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 16:05 SquirrelZero

How about following the NDA because it's the right thing to do?

What the rules are and what's right and wrong often have nothing to do with each other. If the NDA told you to staple your mouth shut and then gouge your eyeballs out, would it be the right thing to do to follow it? That's an unrealistic example, but given that I've seen some pretty abominal NDA's in my lifetime, I couldn't help myself.

Talking about ingame content is one thing, but seriously, telling people you're in it? Get a grip.

17. No subject Nov 2, 2005, 15:48 space captain

ooooooooooooh - hes gonna tell!!!!!

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 15:15 Cabezone

Wow, see the decline in personal responsibility and decency in action!

How about following the NDA because it's the right thing to do?

Wow what a concept.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

15. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 13:26 asrof

You are only allowed to say you are in the beta if you're some crap website that makes every game you PREview sound like the second coming right?

It's all a joke anyway, if they weren't ready for information to be leaked they wouldn't invite 10,000 random people on the internet. IN THE GAME FRODO KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!! Haha I ruined it.

I guess every beta wants to know if you run a fansite so they can refuse your application cause you might hype up their game some more.

14. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 12:44 SquirrelZero

You know that you're not permitted to say if you've been accepted to the beta, much less discuss the game publically at this point?

Who said anything about talking about it right now? I'll talk about it when the beta is over. That's how these things usually go don't they?

If you think I'm not going to tell anyone I'm in it though, well, forget that. Nobody is going to be hurt by that information. Save the self-righteousness for someone else.

13. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 10:22 HorrorScope

"You know that you're not permitted to say if you've been accepted to the beta, much less discuss the game publically at this point?"

So are you the Internet police? And I was wondering even though I'm a bystander, "Whatcha gonna do about it?" and exactly what is the "crime" and "penalty"? Really I guess we should know the dire consequences of someone admitting they are in a beta, sounds like hard time for a long time somewhere, no?

I say to anyone in a beta feel free to talk about anything you like. By anonymous, you most likely have pirated software and music to a certain level and I can't believe breaking a games beta agreement is as bad as making an illegal copy of something every so often. What is someone going to do? Spend all the time trying to figure who you are just to kick you out of beta? There is no jail time there is no fine. I'm not here to police you and I'm not so sure why others are either. Sounds like a lot of "nah nah nah nah nah nah" to me. Freedom of speech right?

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 10:26.

12. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 08:18 Semantics

Can you say you are in the beta if you aren't?

11. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 07:16 The Half Elf

You can say that you are in the BETA, just can't talk about the content of it. Then again it's gonna be all over anyway.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 05:58 Halsy

You know that you're not permitted to say if you've been accepted to the beta, much less discuss the game publically at this point?

It's still going till at least February of next year, so there's lots of testing time left and the game should be in pretty good shape by then.

Cake is good... ice cream with cake is better...but no one is ever disapointed with just the cake.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

9. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 05:28 brokencrow

Yeah, IGN/Gamespy etc can all burn in hell. All they do is milk people! It's a BETA, we shouldn't have to pay to Beta. I mean, when the damn thing is released we will be paying to beta anyway, but at least we will be paying the publisher ... not some 3rd party scroungers!

BC

8. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 05:27 SquirrelZero

Hmm, somehow I got into the beta for this. Guess I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. Re: ......passs...... Nov 2, 2005, 03:20 Ray Marden

If we are lucky, Turbine will shut down the game shortly after people purchase it...

Rarely using IGN these days,
Ray I swear it is becoming the GamePro of online sites.

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

6. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 03:11 asrof

WoW had a similar beta deal with fileplanet, I think it sucks, but it's definitely not an indication of a games success or failure.

5. Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 02:04 Ludomancer

"...FilePlanet subscription is not required, word is that subscribers will receive preferential treatment." Plus your sucking the cocks of IGC?! Turbine, you have just lost my respect.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo