Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Update

A new Steam Update (thanks Frans) discusses the Lost Coast release and future plans:

We hope everyone is enjoying Lost Coast. We've received a number of e-mails with positive feedback about the commentary system included in Lost Coast, so it's a safe bet that we'll look for ways to include commentary in future products.

We're now going to be looking toward releasing some new Counter-Strike: Source content we've been working on. The next two maps coming will be updated versions of de_nuke and cs_militia, along with a number of new player models for both sides. We'll give everyone a sneak peek at Nuke and some of the new models next week.

Two weeks ago we mentioned our affinity for all things zombie, along with the note that someone here at Valve had made a short movie on the subject. Zombie Movie has won Best Comedy Horror Short down at Screamfest L.A. and we're looking forward to delivering the movie over Steam soon. We think everyone will get a kick out of it.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 21:33 Prez

All I can figure of people that don't like the story in HL2 is that they didnt read the newpapers, bulletin boards, posters, or talk to each and every NPC multiple times the first time through the game and can't be bothered to play through again to do it, etc. There is A LOT of information, it's just not right in your face like every other game.

That's exactly how I felt. The story was reliant on the player to discover some of its points. My second play-through I played much more deliberately and found it much more fulfilling. I have no beef with someone who does not like that style of story development, but I take issue with the contention that there was no story.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 21:33 Ray Marden

But that is the whole thing; for me, there is a line between a written story and a story that actually shows up and take place in or has an affect on the game.

It is like people that argue Doom 3 had this deep story while I will argue Doom 3 was a simlistic shooter with PDAs strewn about it.

I can read into things, I can exaggerate to my liking, but was the actual story there?

Likewise, I do think HL2 had a non-ending. Ok, City 17 was stopped. Umm...ok...I care why? It was the main enemy how? That resolved the time gape (between games) how? I felt that I really took it to the enemy...why?

I could make up this extreme, exaggerated story for something like Pong - something about the last remnants of two factions in a lethal battle for survival; both having endured the horrific, genocidal war; doing what they can to avert the course of that last, horrific genetic missle that was launched before the great city fell; the passionate struggle for existence they are both enduring!!!

Except, really, Pong was just two damn rectangles hitting a pixel back and forth.

I do think Valve missed out from the first game, especially for stopping things so abruptly and dangling information in front of you, and Half-Life 2 really felt more like running from place to place always awaiting the payoff, but never receiving it. Then, it was all just kind of crammed in there at the end.

As I have said before, I would love to see an expanded chart of play time for the average playing, detailing where Gordon is in the story of things. For the vast majority of the game, he is just going through the paces and not having any effect on the story. There are other games that do this, I realize, but they often either have a more valid reson for this or manage to pull it off better. Further compounding this is the general greatness of Half-Life 2; the pacing and story, for me, are the weakest elements in the game - by far.
It never felt like an ending, but a cutoff point to ship the game.
Wanting expansions to compliment or expand the original story,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

28. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 20:54 Krovven

Yeah, yeah, I can piece things together or read into things, but too much of it is run, run, run, run, run, and then this whole non-ending segment all mushed in at the very last moment.

All I can figure of people that don't like the story in HL2 is that they didnt read the newpapers, bulletin boards, posters, or talk to each and every NPC multiple times the first time through the game and can't be bothered to play through again to do it, etc. There is A LOT of information, it's just not right in your face like every other game.

And I don't get why people don't like the ending of HL2. I thought it was a great way to end it and pick it up in an expansion. Whereas you get expansions for other games that do little or nothing at all to connect to the parent game.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015

27. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 15:47 TorTorden

I play F.E.A.R at 1024*768 medium graphics detail with my 9800XT, it does dip under 30fps, but not as bad as Quake4.

as for the level design, it's a case of art mimicking life. take for instance the Telenor HQ, its four/five buildings, built after pretty much the same blueprint.
with only a thin coat of paint and a shit load of fancy artwork to set them apart on the inside. (who says monopoly does'nt pay)

Being rather disapointed with Quake 4 after playing F.E.A.R several times over.
That last explosion is rather cool.
F.E.A.R. Combat ownz U.

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 15:51.

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

26. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 13:05 KaRRiLLioN

I've had no issues running FEAR maxed out at 1600x1200 on my 7800 and AMD 4800+ X2.

FEAR vs. HL2..well each has their strong points. The funny part about FEAR is that I'm almost relieved when I hear the replicas' radios going off, because I know I won't have to worry about pissing myself when that little girl appears at the top of a ladder or something.

I played HL2 for the 2nd time thru a few weeks ago and enjoyed it more, even though the ending--well I won't go into that. Ravenholm is one of the best levels, spooky, atmospheric, and yes--it can startle you into pissing yourself as well, thanks to those little black hoppers.

Level design--HL2 hands down. FEAR is nothing but an industrial/office building mix from what I've seen so far. I've not yet finished it, just at the Alice Wade level. I keep hoping for some fantastic level to come up, but nada.

Oh well.

Both games destroy Q4 from what little I've played of that game.

Ah, almost forgot, FEAR's shotgun + SloMo + replica soldiers saying "OH Sh*T!" = teh funz

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 13:07.

25. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 10:59 Ray Marden

OMG YOU FANB...

Nah, it all varies.

I think the weakest part of F.E.A.R. is its story, but...grudgingly...I feel it tells it more or lets the player have a more direct role.

Half-Life 2 is a far, far, far, far better game (combat aside - F.E.A.R. owns that now,) but I have previously discussed my issues with the pacing and story of HL2. There is more story in HL2, but...I just never felt a sufficient part of it. That, too, is the game's (Half-Life 2) greatest weakness. Yeah, yeah, I can piece things together or read into things, but too much of it is run, run, run, run, run, and then this whole non-ending segment all mushed in at the very last moment.

As I alluded, the "ending" does not help matters (I could give a damn about destroying City 17 because, well, I never knew enough about it and had way too many questions about it) and, looking back at things, some of the "fighting in the city segments," though still amazingly good, just were not as interesting or creative as the more out of the box areas (boat, shore, zombies, etc.)

This is all my nitpicking things to the extreme and relative to what angle I am taking. Barring Oblivion being amazing, F.E.A.R. is my game of the year, it owns FPS combat and most all combat now pales in comparison now, and, though I find it acceptable (unlike some - and I am not saying it is Uber,) the story is the relatively weakest part of F.E.A.R..

I am in the minority, but I actually like the level design in F.E.A.R.. I will not claim there is a profound variety, but I really do think it all makes sense for the story and setting. Looking at a purely design basis, the level design is actually fantastic for how "real" it is, how complex (in design) it is, and for how well everything ties together. Yeah, there are some obvious paths in things, but I really am in a complex that does all fit together and make sense - for me, that is a big things.

But as ever, it is all preference.
And I am really just rambling like a mofo!
Thinking HL2's story is quite grand, just not implemented well,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

24. Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 10:33 Krovven

FEAR owns Half Life 2 single player in every area

FEAR beats HL2 single player in combat and AI. When it comes to level design, HL2 is still far better than FEAR. Although I really enjoyed FEAR, the majority of levels are very plain and unimaginitive, HL2 beats it hands down in this department.

While I know many will disagree, I really liked the way HL2 told it's story. And I i'll point out that FEAR tried to do it a similar way, but it never really worked as well.

So I don't agree with you, and I guess that makes me a Valve faggot. I'd rather be a faggot than a jackass troll.

23. Re: ... Oct 30, 2005, 10:31 Ray Marden

Yeah, I never had soft-shadows on, neither from auto-detection nor from my own adjustments. No way around that one; soft shadows kill nearly any computaer combination, barring the highest end ones.
Hell, Riddick still runs a bit slow with soft shadows!
But really, I played the game the first time on normal deifficulty at 1280x960, 2x AF, and nearly all options at maximum. I do not think I had AA enabled, but I really do not feel much of a need for it at 1280x960 and 2xAF (and jumping to a much lower resolution, but with AA still has what I consider "bad" framerates.) The game ran ok, a little slow in two particular level sets, but definitely within a 35FPS to 50FPS range.

Using the auto-detection, it has all the same settings, just with the "Computer" setting at medium and the minor change in the water. But this time around, on the moderate difficulty, it definitely ran much better at 1280x960 and 4xAF. I can still tell the two level sets run slower than the rest, but overall, it does run a lot better, making me wish I had the "Computer" level at medium the first time around. Offhand, I would figure the framerate is around 40FPS to 60FPS, but definitely much more on the higher end now.

Well, I have to take some type of break - I just beat the game two damn times!!! But there was much ass kickage to be had, it helps imaging each NPC is Creston, and I did really well. I have to at least try that last, insane difficulty setting and see if I can beat the game.

Besides, I have to. Other than getting off my ass and beating Serenia (last level) in Myst IV, the only other thing I have left to play is <shudder> Neverwinter Nights. If X3 does not ship this week, I am doomed to be playing NWN...
How about OUR game? But NOT Creston's. Anybody but Creston...
Thinking Raven should not rush so much on that Q4 demo :|,
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

22. Re: ... Oct 30, 2005, 10:27 Krovven

Basically they have to modify the maps to implement HDR; for something like CS:S that isn't to hard to do over time, but for Half-Life 2, there's a crapton of maps and IIRC, it'd be like a 1 gig download. They want to add it, but just not right now.

Here is a recent interview with Eric Johnson from Valve, with info about HDR in CSS and HL2.
http://modhq.notepadhax.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1130213250&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3&

And for those that dont want to read the whole thing...
Q: With Day of Defeat: Source we saw for the first time the much anticipated HDR and most people fell in love at first sight with it. We also know that all future Valve products will include this technology. Are there plans to add HDR in already released products such as Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 itself?

A: Counter-Strike: Source, definitely. We'll be rolling out HDR versions of the maps over time starting very soon. As for Half-Life 2, not in the short term, but possible at some point.

Q: The last Steam weekly news update stated once again that The Lost Coast will be released soon. Still, many would like to know more about the Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source content that was mentioned in the same announcement.

A: While we haven't done a significant release for Counter-Strike: Source in a little while, we've been continuously building content for it. There are two new maps on the horizon for Counter-Strike: Source, de_nuke, and cs_militia, which will bring the total number of maps we've released to 18. The team has also been busy working on getting the rest of the player models built, which we'll also be releasing soon. November should be a fun month for Counter-Strike: Source fans. On the Day of Defeat: Source front, we have a few maps currently in development. There will be a mix of new maps and a Source adaptation of an original Day of Defeat map coming before the calendar year is over.

21. Re: ... Oct 30, 2005, 02:33 John

They want to add it, but just not right now.
Hmm, it might be too late later. Probably better for them to get to work on other things instead.

But go medium on computer and then fiddle with the resolution and AF as needed
I hear turning off soft shadows helps out a lot too. I remember doing that in the demo.

Meanwhile, I will take a break from F.E.A.R. for a week or so...
And do what instead? My X3 hasn't come in yet, has it?

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

20. No subject Oct 30, 2005, 01:00 D4rkKnight

militia, militia, militia!

About time they put that into rotation for source.

19. Re: ... Oct 30, 2005, 00:27 Ray Marden

It runs ok with a 6800, but it really depends on your processor, memory (please have a gig,) and what you consider "acceptable."

On my second time around, on the moderate difficulty, I accidentally hit the "autodetect settings" thingie and I went back to check on what all it had changed. I think it dropped water down to medium (not much difference,) dropped me to 1024x768 (bumped up to 1280x960,) and dropped my "Computer" level to medium. Dropping the computer to medium was the single best thing for me - it ran well at 1280x960 with 4x AF.

But go medium on computer and then fiddle with the resolution and AF as needed - it is a demandnig game, but it runs quite well on my 3500+/6800.

Meanwhile, I will take a break from F.E.A.R. for a week or so, but I can so see myself playing one last time on that hardest difficulty.
What the f*ck was that? OH SH*T, GRENA...<BOOOOOOM>
Thinking the escape is made for John Woo-styile :),
Ray

-----
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
I love you, mom.

18. Re: ... Oct 29, 2005, 23:58 Undead Scottsman

Any chance it will be making its way to HL2 as well? Or is it more difficult than that?
Basically they have to modify the maps to implement HDR; for something like CS:S that isn't to hard to do over time, but for Half-Life 2, there's a crapton of maps and IIRC, it'd be like a 1 gig download. They want to add it, but just not right now.

17. Re: ... Oct 29, 2005, 23:46 John

DOD:S was delayed because of the inclusion of HDR to the source engine, which will be making its way into CS:S later on.
Any chance it will be making its way to HL2 as well? Or is it more difficult than that?

with FEAR you'd need at least four of them* to get acceptable performance and it doesn't even look that good!
Huh, I hear people with a 6800 are able to run it fine. I guess I'll find out myself once I get it. As for it not looking good, well, thats a matter of personal opinion.

What was all that about, Xero?

GW: Grad Mcgarth W/N Going to finish game before I start a new character me thinks

This space is available for rent

16. No subject Oct 29, 2005, 23:15 Xero

FEAR owns Half Life 2 single player in every area, if your too blind to see that it does, your just a valve whore faggot.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Currently playing: Skyrim

15. Re: DOD:S Oct 29, 2005, 23:03 Pete

Batman, im way bigger of a DoD nerd than you could possibly be. And at first I was very upset with the changes to dod. Expecting dod with source graphics, but got valve's version of dod.

Now i just dont care.

Doin' it Big

14. No subject Oct 29, 2005, 22:15 Tim

i think you people should stop making excuses  

13. No subject Oct 29, 2005, 20:28 JeffD

crash coast is more like it.

12. Re: No subject Oct 29, 2005, 18:14 Masa

Still, one has to wonder why we were shown this at all. Frankly, the new lighting isn't all that impressive.

Well, if you're looking at the whole 3 minutes of game play and wondering why they didn't release a whole addon, you're rather missing the point. And I'll disagree with you here, the demo was impressive. The HDR looks like it can built on quite a bit and especially with a better grapics engine overall, it will really have much larger effect.

Yes, but at least you can run the Lost Coast with a 7800GTX - with FEAR you'd need at least four of them

Don't get me started on F.E.A.R. I beat the game more out of sheer curiousity, but ran it at 800x600 and 4x AA...For the way the game looks, I can't see much rason for the game that badly.
This comment was edited on Oct 29, 18:18.

11. ... Oct 29, 2005, 17:45 theyarecomingforyou

It was almost like F.E.A.R.

Yes, but at least you can run the Lost Coast with a 7800GTX - with FEAR you'd need at least four of them* to get acceptable performance and it doesn't even look that good! *[Yes, it looks like nVidia are soon to support 4xPCIe graphics cards in an upcoming improvement to SLI.]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo