Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UFO Aftershock to Land in N.A.

UFO Aftershock Coming from Tri Synergy & Cenega is the press release announcing plans to land UFO Aftershock in North America. Word is:

Dallas, TX Oct 27th, 2005 - Tri Synergy (www.trisynergy.com) and Cenega Publishing (www.ufo-aftershock.com) announced today that they will be working together to bring UFO: Aftershock, the sequel to UFO: Aftermath, to North American retailers. Featuring a vastly improved tactical and RPG design and a wide variety of new features. UFO: Aftershock highly enhances your gaming experiences in every way. Fans of UFO: Aftermath will not be disappointed.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Booyah! Oct 28, 2005, 10:06 Slaughter

@Paranoid: Glad to hear you finally got the game! I sure hope you enjoy it, but if you liked Aftermath I think it's quite likely you will (if the bugs doesn't ruin it). And I hear you on the time issue! I have several plastic wrapped games at the shelves myself, and I fear they'll stay that way for quite some time.

Anyway, looking forwards to hearing your reactions in the game

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. X-Com Oct 28, 2005, 01:21 Cheese

What no destructable enviorments?? READ BELOW

UFO: Aftershock is a combination of tactical squad combat and global strategy that enhances and expands upon its prequel, UFO: Aftermath.

Key features:

Intertwining global strategy and small scale tactical missions

Strategic resource and base management

Enhanced SAS (Simultaneous Action System) and RPG system in tactical play

Fight your way through realistic skyscrapers, inside and out

New amazing items and technologies to research and develop

Radical new training and experience system

New terrifying enemies and powerful allies

Added diplomacy element

New gripping storyline

Interactive destructible environment

see that last part ahhh im glad thats all cleared up.

32. Re: Booyah! Oct 27, 2005, 23:05 UttiniDaKilrJawa

The reason why nobody as of yet has beaten X-Com in quality is pretty simple. Instead of keeping all the great aspects that made XCom so unbelievable these companies just keep trying to re-invent X-Com.

If anyone wants to beat the old X-Com all they need is to follow the gameplay style ( no RTS or phased turn base stuff) implement new graphics/lighting/effects and input a destructible structure/terrain system and it will reign supreme.

31. Booyah! Oct 27, 2005, 22:57 Paranoid Jack

Hello Again, Slaughter! Thanks again for your input. No matter what you are always well grounded and non-biased.

I just bought CoD2 today (because I was getting bored) thinking my copy of Aftershock would never arrive from the UK. Then I was on my way home from work when my wife called and told me she had found a postal tag on our front door. I made a quick dash to the post office and even made a return trip since the postman had not returned yet from his route.

So I am now installed and ready to dig into Aftershock until the early morning hours... and thinking about returning CoD2 for another time. Or just holding onto it until I am ready.

My problem is I am like a few other posters from the day before. I buy games and never opening them because I have too many at times. And for some games buying them and installing them is half the fun.

Sad to see so much hate and anger on the boards again. Though I must admit I have dished a bit out myself in the past.

Aftermath was good but Aftershock will be much better. So if you are looking for something new and a bit different from the run-of-the-mill shooter, and are not focused on Aftershock being something it is not, give it a try.

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001UFOA

Peace.

30. Re: X-Com Oct 27, 2005, 21:21 FourPak

most ppl didnt have a Amiga computer
ahhh Amiga, 68000 Assembly Language Programming was the best - simple, fast, powerful, elegant - but oh no, every bscs retard who couldn't code his way out of a wet kotex had to jump on "Si" and ruin everything.

29. Re: lame music.com Oct 27, 2005, 20:46 SquirrelZero

Better than X-Com? Let's not kid ourselves here.

28. lame music.com Oct 27, 2005, 19:54 Cheese

Is what you should call those links at the bottom of your sig spacecaptian I mean my god that's awful stuff hurts my ears. and to think you had good taste.

calling yourself spacecaptian and hateing on space games is just funny stuff indeed. but that music is pure cheese

27. X-Com Oct 27, 2005, 19:46 Cheese

Space captian does not have a clue to what hes talking about, every preview of this game is comparing it to X-Com, a few of them said its better even.
I mean every friggin preview and even the prequal admits to copying X-Com, Aftermath didnt copy it enough Aftershock does a lot better job based on ppl that have played the damn game.

heres a sampling of a comment from someone who knows what hes talking about.

"Nonetheless, Aftershock is a massive improvement over the original game. This game continues once more what the hugely successful franchise of the XCom series started, from the Geosphere to the aliens its very reminiscent of the original games just bigger, better and bolder! This will definitely appeal to strategy freaks and newcomers a like to this addictive genre. A lot of effort has gone into developing this game and it shows when you put it in your drive and play it for the first time.

Audio 6.5 /10
Controls 6.5 /10
Gameplay 8 /10
Graphics 7.5 /10
Lastability 7 /10
Overall 7 /10 "

Not what I would call a fanboy either but a honest person that prob would have rated the game higher if not for a few bugs.

Spacecaptian can go play with a zillion other FPS or even the old X-Com if he chooses but to further listen to his gibberish about how this is not X-Com remake or how it dosent even compare to X-Com when the game is only weeks away from release will only show you how much a fool he really is.
And did you see the foul mouth on him for what reason? I dont know but hes really shown how mature he is by talking like that to you for no reason ROFL what a lame ass

This comment was edited on Oct 27, 19:50.

26. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2005, 19:15 Malakai

fucking retard, can you even read? I wasnt the one comparing this to Xcom - someone else was. Even someone as stupid as you realizes they arent the same game.

Now fuck off and give up on trying to convince me how cool you are because you like this game.

Heh. I try to be polite and see where that gets me. But whatever. Keep on insulting over the internet because it makes you big. Please. I am rather interested to see what your next insult will be. I hope it shall be as original and as insulting as the one i have quoted.

25. No subject Oct 27, 2005, 19:10 space captain

fucking retard, can you even read? I wasnt the one comparing this to Xcom - someone else was. Even someone as stupid as you realizes they arent the same game.

Now fuck off and give up on trying to convince me how cool you are because you like this game.

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2005, 19:03 Malakai

You are oh so very wrong. If you think this is the same game as Xcom... you must not have played it very much.

This game is a peice of shit. Xcom isnt.

I don't understand this. Why do people solely compare this game to Xcom, and if it isnt up to the same standard as Xcom the game is classified as shit?

Do you play FEAR and compare it back to Doom, Castle Wolfenstein or Quake? No. I have never seen someone say "HL2 is shit because it doesnt reach the standard of Castle Wolfenstein/Quake/Doom", so, excuse my french, why the fuck do you do it to UFO: Aftershock? It's stupid to compare a brand new game to a game made years and years ago. Back then they didnt really care about graphics, they cared more about the story and the gameplay, and tbh this game does deliver on both fronts.

Ok the graphics may not be the bext ever, but they more than suffice, and the story may seem a bit crap, but then again i can imagine that kind of world being formed/created.

Have you actually played more than the demo? Have you played the game to such an extent that you actually know how the GUI works in combat and on the strategic level? Have you played the game to such an extent that your men are above level 7 in their skills?

How about you try doing that (which involves a good 10 hours of gameplay) and then come back and say if you hate the game or not.

If you haven't, no offence, but please shut up and don't compare a brand new game to a game that was made years ago and is classed in the category of "Classic".

Sorry if i do cause offence, but this whole "Xcom is teh r0xx0rz" just pisses me off no end. Play the game first without Xcom in your mind then judge if UFO: Aftershock is worth it.

23. Sweet Oct 27, 2005, 16:51 Noctis

Sweet Bonzai Berries of Yore!

I almost waited 2 weeks for this.

22. No subject Oct 27, 2005, 15:48 space captain

And this game has the same structure, its no different than Xcom of old.

You are oh so very wrong. If you think this is the same game as Xcom... you must not have played it very much.

Go forth, and kill!

21. Re: Demo Oct 27, 2005, 15:25 Beamer

Squad based tactical games and real time do not mix.

The first game was terrible. I don't know why I tried this demo, but I'm desperate. Predictably, it was equally terrible. Combat just isn't fun.

Back to JA2 I go.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Demo Oct 27, 2005, 15:12 Cheese

As you know squirel i didnt mean to offend you, so lets get that outta the way up front. I rag on games as much as the next guy and I am not saying you didnt like it or anything but it was the reasons you mentioned such as the combat, or other things you mentioned that even you know will be fixed in a patch or two.

I lashed out because if you played the original X-com you would know it had the same pauseing in the game when there was hidden alien movement and it was damn anoying because it interupted your gameplay flow, this game has options to turn off alot of this stuff and customise it even in the demo you played, granted it takes some getting use to.

To be honest I see alot of FPS games WWII based even still being done too death, Also I see alot of RTS which are trying to be different a little which aftershock falls into this catagory.
Then you have the dying genre RPG market which offers the most replay per value than all the above but is nearly dead here in the States.
Also there used to be a simulation genre which is long dead.

With skyrocketing development costs and budgets in the tens of millions, game developers dont make good games anymore, they play it safe and make a cookie cutter game based on FPS or WW2 because thats all this sector of the world wants is blood and gore.

I respect a game that stands out from the old standard formula and trys to be imaginative and different, im tired of Americas army type of games even though I love BF2 enough is enough, where are all the good game ideas gone??
games like X-Com "dare you complain about a remake even"
Elite "thank god we have X3 comming out" SSI gold box rpgs" one word OBLIVION" and a few others worth mention SPACE RANGERS 2, not out here in the states cause agian all we like are WW2 FPS, PARKAN 2, "agian we hate these type of games where you have to think give em a gun and a target"

So if I get all worked up about X-Com its cause im one of the few ppl who hated HL2 hate Brothers in Arms hate anything to do with WW2 cause it been done to death already and im glad to see a space game come out for a change ANY SPACE GAME WILL DO. even aftershock!!!

19. Re: No subject Oct 27, 2005, 14:31 Slaughter

@all: VoodooV mention X-COM, and think it's amazing that no one topped it. I agree, and even though Silent Storm was good, it's no X-COM. But this isn't so only with X-COM. Look at Fallout! Fallout 2 was good as well, but after that no one has topped that one either. And as Riker says, how about Deus Ex? So many classics that still hasn't been topped. I think too much focus on graphics, and the lack of innovation due to RTS and FPS, is the primary reason.

@Malakai: There are sure things in Aftershock that is worth criticising, but I don't agree with all your points. Hope you don't mind I comment a few of them

The diplomatic side of things is quite nice. Being able to get fresh recruits (cyborgs, humans or psionics) is handy especially during the earlier part of the game when sometimes you end up fighting a lot of enemies much tougher than you. The only problem is that say if you're trying to attack a province over in North America and a faction asks for help over in Northern Africa sometimes it can be hard getting back in time to help them. And that causes a huge drop is relations between the player and the faction asking for the help.
This problem is there intentionally. Because it takes some time to move the Laputa over the globe, where to place it is part of the strategy. You can also improve the Laputa through research.
The actual combat side of things reminds me a lot of JA1/2 except it's real-time with a smart-stop system. Now the smart-stop system is quite good, but jesus can it be annoying. Sometimes it stops for no real valid reason, and then sometimes it doesnt stop at all. The number of times i've come out of the landing craft with about 6 enemies walking around in plain sight without the game pausing to let you know an enemy has been spotted is bpast my own counting.
You can control the automatic pauses in the options screen. This goes for both the strategic pauses and the tactical pauses. I set it so that the game pauses and camera moves ONLY when I spot a new enemy. No other events makes the game pause by itself.
Now the most annoying part of the game i find is the research. Everything that is important (any armour, general weapon plans and other such necessities) can take literally 5 days to complete ingame. Now it doesnt sound much, but when you're attacking almost every other hour it takes forever to get anything. There is one way to combat this, and that is to build more research facilities but when you have say a limit of 4 building spaces in one base and a required knowledge level of 5 to build a lab that leaves you able to only build 2 labs (2 slots taken to get the knowledge level in that base up to what is needed). Ok it halves the time required to research things with 2 labs, but even so that's still 2 and a half days and when you require something within 9 hours, it gets rather annoying.
Again, this is to make it harder. Research takes time after all, and because it takes time you have to carefully choose what to research.
One thing though they have done extremely well is the character growth side of things. Instead of numbers they use words (awful, poor, average, good, excellent, heroic, super heroic) to describe a characters ability in a certain area. Now although you can only influence 6 major areas, these major ones influence the smaller areas. It works well indeed, especially when coupled with the ability to train your soldiers. The training obviously gives characters extra traits as it were, like troopers being able to dodge bullets at lvl 2. If you play it long enough you can get a character trained in as many disciplines as you want. I have a guy fully trained as a commando and trooper and he is almost god-like in his abilities. Tis very handy.
There is a limit of three trainings per soldier. I am sure they get really nasty with three full trainings as you describe however :). But for the most case the trainings makes it so that you have to specialize snipers, stalkers and so on. That's an improvement over Aftermath.

Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk, Slaughter)

18. Re: Demo Oct 27, 2005, 14:16 SquirrelZero

I'm sorry you don't appreciate my opinion Cheese, and I'm also sorry to see that you haven't changed your petty, offensive posting style. Pretty standard fare for you around here, though. You have some serious social problems and the more you act like this, the less mature you sound and it's the primary reason why people like me sometimes don't take you seriously. If you could address my post without being such an insulting fuckwad, hey, we might get a good 'ol fashioned argument going. Shucks!

Hudson said that there was someone who didn't like it around here, remember? Since I was the only one in the last UFO thread who couldn't be convinced to be enjoy it, I thought it was a reasonable stretch to assume he meant me. Maybe you missed that thread? Oh wait, you couldn't have, because you actually posted there:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=61121

but thanks for pointing out that you were the one who didnt like it, like your special or something lol , alot of ppl wont like this game for one reason or another, different strokes for different folks, but to say it will be a bad game or is a bad game based on a demo is foolish and imature.

You know something, I don't even know why I'm bothering. I guess I'm bored. But if the point of a demo isn't to give you a positive or negative perception of a game by offering a small slice of its gameplay, what exactly is the point of it? I would truly like to hear your answer on this. A beta or alpha I could understand, because they're not feature-complete, but a demo? And look man, I haven't insulted you here, I haven't been a total dick to you like you have been to me, and you have the nuts to call me foolish and immature -- for formulating an opinion of a game after playing its demo? Did I just step into bizarro world or something? I respect your opinion, just like others'. But I equally don't respect you for pulling such a fucking childish attitude on me. Grow up.

17. Demo Oct 27, 2005, 13:53 Cheese

The combat does reflect what was offered in Enemy unknown or better known here in the states as Xcom. I remember downing a huge ship in Xcom only to find it kept pauseing every 3 seconds because of all the alien hidden movement turns and what not, at first it was agravating but then I realized that it was not a true turn by turn game but a quasi combination of both turn by turn and real time movement, based on the fact that even though it was your turn you had interupted alien movement going on all the time . And this game has the same structure, its no different than Xcom of old.

The problems I found with the demo was the poor AI, sometimes the aliens didnt run away when hurt but sometimes they did, and the clunky camera controls, but otherwise im not gonna base it a total loss because these are things that can be addresed in a patch, which most of the gamers know these days demos get patched and problems get fixed but some of us walk away with a shitty attitude screaming about how much better the old title was and how flawed the demo is DOH its a demo, and making comparisons to things that were done the same in the earlier games , such as combat.

Then you squirelzero come on here thinking you are famous or something screaming I WAS THE ONE WHO DIDNT LIKE IT, IT WAS MEEEEEE. where do they find these ppl lol.

If it was you who didnt like the demo big deal dont buy the friggin game then lol no problem , but based on ppl who have played the game and like it, I'll trust there opinion way more than I trust your limited view. but thanks for pointing out that you were the one who didnt like it, like your special or something lol , alot of ppl wont like this game for one reason or another, different strokes for different folks, but to say it will be a bad game or is a bad game based on a demo is foolish and imature.

16. Re: StarForce Oct 27, 2005, 13:17 Semantics

Fans not being disappointed does not imply not-fans being disappointed. In other words, not ((A -> not B) -> (not A -> B)). For instance, fans of UFO:Aftermath would not be disappointed if they received a pile of free money. But people who are not fans of UFO:Aftermath would also not be disappointed by a pile of free money.

15. No subject Oct 27, 2005, 13:07 Malakai

I bought this game last week over here in the UK and it's safe to say it is a damn good fun game.

The base building is good, although sometimes i wish they can tweak it a bit. The thing i wish they'd tweak are the number of building sites within a base. Some bases have a maximum of 4, some a maximum of 6. Now that may not sound a problem but i'll get onto why in a minute.

The diplomatic side of things is quite nice. Being able to get fresh recruits (cyborgs, humans or psionics) is handy especially during the earlier part of the game when sometimes you end up fighting a lot of enemies much tougher than you. The only problem is that say if you're trying to attack a province over in North America and a faction asks for help over in Northern Africa sometimes it can be hard getting back in time to help them. And that causes a huge drop is relations between the player and the faction asking for the help.

The actual combat side of things reminds me a lot of JA1/2 except it's real-time with a smart-stop system. Now the smart-stop system is quite good, but jesus can it be annoying. Sometimes it stops for no real valid reason, and then sometimes it doesnt stop at all. The number of times i've come out of the landing craft with about 6 enemies walking around in plain sight without the game pausing to let you know an enemy has been spotted is bpast my own counting.

Now the most annoying part of the game i find is the research. Everything that is important (any armour, general weapon plans and other such necessities) can take literally 5 days to complete ingame. Now it doesnt sound much, but when you're attacking almost every other hour it takes forever to get anything. There is one way to combat this, and that is to build more research facilities but when you have say a limit of 4 building spaces in one base and a required knowledge level of 5 to build a lab that leaves you able to only build 2 labs (2 slots taken to get the knowledge level in that base up to what is needed). Ok it halves the time required to research things with 2 labs, but even so that's still 2 and a half days and when you require something within 9 hours, it gets rather annoying.

One thing though they have done extremely well is the character growth side of things. Instead of numbers they use words (awful, poor, average, good, excellent, heroic, super heroic) to describe a characters ability in a certain area. Now although you can only influence 6 major areas, these major ones influence the smaller areas. It works well indeed, especially when coupled with the ability to train your soldiers. The training obviously gives characters extra traits as it were, like troopers being able to dodge bullets at lvl 2. If you play it long enough you can get a character trained in as many disciplines as you want. I have a guy fully trained as a commando and trooper and he is almost god-like in his abilities. Tis very handy.

But anyway, back to my general view of the game. It's good. Better than Aftermath (i own that as well) but i can't say if it's as good or better than x-com (never played it). If you like time consuming strategy games, it's worth checking this out. It may take a while to get your head around concepts and such but in the long run it's worth it. Plus you'll eventaully get very attached to your men.

edit: SZ: Personally i find this (after getting accustomed to it) stop-start system much handier than a pure turned based system. The fact that the game pauses if a character has no action to perform is great, and the fact it stops if someone sees an enemy, or if someone is shot by an enemy makes it almost turn based. I guess i'd describe it more as a flowing turnbased combat system.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 13:11.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo