Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pac-Man World Rally Announced

Following the release of some PC screenshots (story) comes the announcement confirming the PC as one of the target platforms for Pac-Man World Rally, a Namco-themed arcade racing game:

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (October 24, 2005) – Leading video games developer and publisher Namco Hometek Inc. today announced "Pac-Man World Rally(TM)," an original kart racing game for the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox(R) video game system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube(TM), PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R)Portable) system and PC. Featuring a lineup of characters, courses, and power-ups from classic Namco games and sophisticated power sliding mechanics, players race for the finish line at breakneck speed in the fastest kart racing game ever. Developed by Smart Bomb Interactive, "Pac-Man World Rally" will be released in the summer of 2006.

"Pac-Man World Rally" puts players behind the wheel as Pac-Man(R) or one of 14 other classic characters from the worlds of "Pac-Man" and other popular Namco franchises, racing for the checkered flag while using unique power-ups and items to prevent their opponents from claiming victory. Across the game’s many colorful and iconic levels, players will utilize a unique power sliding mechanic that allows them to skid around tight corners without losing speed, while charging up Boost Bottles they can use at will to leave their opponents in their dust. And because it’s Pac-Man, players can expect to see him do what he does best: gobble up his adversaries along with all the Pac-Dots in sight. Players will be able to collect Power Pellets during a race to unleash a special ability that will allow them to take a bite out of their opponents and turn the tables on even the most lopsided races.

“'Pac-Man World Rally' delivers the most complete kart racing experience yet with incredible speed across outrageous and vibrant courses from well known Namco games,” said Jeff Lujan, business director at Namco Hometek Inc. “The refined power sliding mechanics allows for tremendous handling in any situation, while a roster of more than 15 classic characters ensures that every race is memorable for players of all ages.”

Players will be able to enjoy "Pac-Man World Rally" with their friends in the game’s different multiplayer modes. Racers can test their driving skills with a friend in time trial and grand prix competitions, or go head to head in the game’s Battle Arena mode, using custom weapons and vehicle combat tactics to defeat their adversaries.

For more information of "Pac-Man World Rally," please visit www.namco.com.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 21:31 nin

Remember Ghost and Goblins and Robotron??

Berzerk forever!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 21:09 xXBatmanXx

Ahhhh, Food Fight and Burger Time. I had forgotten those games. Remember Ghost and Goblins and Robotron??

Robotron was cool, because some arcades had the multi-game version, where you could pick either good fight OR Robotron. both games were damn hard. I remeber playing that game and drinking orange pop out of a glass sunkist bottle with a metal cap. We would screw the metal cap on extra hard and you could take the plastic insert out of the cap and suck the pop out of the tiny holes in the top. ah the days of my youth. Growing up poor and drinking orange pop at the laundromat.

/edit: Oh almost forgot, got a ltitle too dreamy. On the making a buck thing. I see it no different than Hollywood. If someone doesn't do something outside of the box, they are just doomed to make something else over with new technology. (no pun intended) ie: I wish they would leave Batman alone now. oh well.

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 21:10.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Pacman FPS = ... Oct 24, 2005, 20:48 Orosian

... Faceball 2000?

18. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 20:17 Tony!!!

You'r missing my point Batman. Im not knocking the original Pacman at all. It's a great game.

But, you have these guys now days itching to make a buck. They take the main character from Pacman and throw him behind the wheel of a car in a blatent Mario Kart rip off. It's really an insult to a great video game classic in my opinion.

Ahhhh, Food Fight and Burger Time. I had forgotten those games. Remember Ghost and Goblins and Robotron??

-Tony!!!;)

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 20:18.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

17. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 20:03 Fantaz

I would love to play a PacMan fps!

16. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 18:54 asrof

How is it any different from any other title that is milked right now? Doom, Half Life, Quake, etc

Uh, cause it isn't Doom Kart? This isn't a sequel. People blinded by nostalgia.

15. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 18:15 xXBatmanXx

You would loose that bet big time Batman. I actually played Pacman when it came out. It's just lame to milk a classic arcade game like this and make the name into something it wasn't ever meant to be. Whats next? A Pacman first person shooter??

Why not? They milk everything else and people buy it.
I love the fact that you can still get PacMan and Ms.PacMan stuff. Like I said, I am stil looking for another cocktail table. There is just something wonderful about plunking a quarter (50 cents now in the arcade) into a Fast Ms Pac Man machine and playing for over an hour on one quarter.

How is it any different from any other title that is milked right now? Doom, Half Life, Quake, etc. (other than it is a lot older)

Shit, I still like finding Food Fight, Burger Time, and Mr. Do! to play. Although the games are simple, nothing beats them in the arcade. Except a few forms of Street Fighter.

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

14. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 18:07 Tony!!!

You would loose that bet big time Batman. I actually played Pacman when it came out. It's just lame to milk a classic arcade game like this and make the name into something it wasn't ever meant to be. Whats next? A Pacman first person shooter???

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

13. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 16:18 Sinistar

Yeah Katamari on the PC would be swaesome... Imagine the possibilities with online play..

12. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 16:11 xXBatmanXx

Good Lord.

PacMan is DEAD!!! Why do they keep trying to bring him back??? The concept just doesn't work and the character is boring as well.

If you are serious, I would hedge a bet that you are under the age of 22.

10. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 15:42 Tony!!!

Good Lord.

PacMan is DEAD!!! Why do they keep trying to bring him back??? The concept just doesn't work and the character is boring as well.

-Tony!!!;)

-Tony!!!;)

9. Re: wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 15:04 Orogogus

Given that "more than 15" means 16, it hardly seems like a huge difference.

I don't understand the complaint about the controls, either. It's not that hard to plug in an alternate controller, and heck, you can get mice with 7 or 8 buttons nowadays.

For my money, I wouldn't mind if Katamari Damacy and some other console games were ported to the PC with the expectation that users had a dual analog stick, because that would be less expensive than buying a PS2.

8. wait.. Oct 24, 2005, 13:48 xXBatmanXx

I am confused. How many characters are there?

puts players behind the wheel as Pac-Man(R) or one of 14 other classic characters

or

while a roster of more than 15 classic characters

So what is it?

Does the "more than 15 classic" tell us there are 15 regular and some hidden chars?

7. No subject Oct 24, 2005, 13:42 nightfend

Wow those graphics look dated. I can't believe they are waiting another year to release this. And it's coming out on PC? This ones headed for the bargain bin.

6. Re: Sweetness........squared. Oct 24, 2005, 13:02 Taulin

A lot of these game companies that are contracted out/owned from big guys like Konami and Namco really don't get to choose what game they are going to make. This is one reason I could never even fathom working in that industry. I can see my boss now..."Ok guys, we are now going to make Pac Man cart!".

5. Sweetness........squared. Oct 24, 2005, 11:29 xXBatmanXx

Mario Kart with Pac characters?
I am all over this one!

/still looking to get another Ms. PacMan cocktail table...had one with the multipac addition...but that story is for another day.

4. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2005, 11:08 nin

Dammit Namco!

Stop fucking around and give us a port of Soul Calibur 2!

Christ...you'll give us the shit games, but not the good ones.

Fuckers...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: No subject Oct 24, 2005, 11:07 Beamer

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! What nuts company would target the PC as a core format for a kart-racing game... Do they have any idea how small keyboards actually are!

Haha. In highschool my friend and I played a game called Slicks N Slide constantly. Spent half our time trying to find keys we could use without interference, too, as more often than not one of us wouldn't be able to turn right while the other was braking...

Oddly we never had that trouble with NFS3, which got a ton of splitscreen play.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. No subject Oct 24, 2005, 10:58 vacs

This is so great, all we need now is a Pac-Man movie staring Jack Black in the main character role!

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo