Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I may just get to see the Giants game on live TV today, rather than traveling through time via TiVo's wayback machine. It's just been that sort of a season so far...

R.I.P.: Jazz legend Shirley Horn dies at 71.

Time Shifting! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Halloween Hangman.
Stories: Man who sank the Mark Twain.
Search for Tee Time May Lead to Tokyo (registration required).
Science: Tests of Fabled Archimedes Death Ray Fail.
Beyond Human (registration required).
No place for Nazis in medicine.
Media: Our Springering Jerry.
Standoff. A classic joke played out.
Follow-ups: Wanted: Flat Plot, Earth View.
Europe's Venus mission delayed.
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. "Blue" Screen of Death Oct 24, 2005, 21:42 Kxmode

Sites that get mentioned in the "Out of the Blue" and "Fade to Black" are getting crushed under the weight of traffic from this site. I christen this effect the "Blue Screen of Death". Use accordingly.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 21:56.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. Re: Blogging Oct 24, 2005, 20:57 Bunko

I haven't really had much experience with others (I could never get WordPress to setup properly) I find that MovableType is great for running a blog. There's a small learning curve but setup is easy and once you get everything organized, you won't have to mess with much again. It's pretty easy to update as well.

The documentation is getting better all the time (quite a feat because it was good to begin with) and new updates are making things more flexible and powerful. I like it immensley. You can just do a standard basic but powerful blog system or you can tweak it into an almost CMS system. It seems to work pretty good for either. They've got some attractive templates, too, if you're not into the roll-your-own style. Plugins are widely available too.

And what is good, Phaedrus, and what is not good -
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
This comment was edited on Oct 24, 20:58.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

48. Re: WOW! Oct 24, 2005, 10:41 xXBatmanXx

If you're a Seahawk, Eagle, or Giants fan... wow, those were three of the most dramatic wins I've seen in a while. And to the Philly and NYG fans out there - you're welcome.

ahem! Vikings Packers game? 56 yard field goal to win the game!

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

47. Re: Blogging Oct 24, 2005, 09:08 MeatForce

For a third post in a row (agh, Im getting like Riley), I thought I'd pick the collective brains about blogging. My mum wants to set up her own one to continue the charity work she has been doing up until recently, in the form of a blog. Does anyone with any experience recommend one particular blog interface (Movable type, Typepad, etc?). Rather than have http://whatever.blogspot.com I think Ill register her own web address and host it herself (looks better, more control, upgradeable at a later date, etc.) but was wondering how easy downloadable programs such as Movable Type are to set up, etc.

I know Bunko and various others here have blogs, so any help would be muchly appreciated.

Tango, have you heard of Flock?

It's a new browser built on the FireFox code, and they've just begun to test things out in open beta (which would normally be a scary thing, but I figure being built on FF gives it a pretty solid foundation). I'm giving it a shot on the Mac just for kicks, and it certainly is beta, but I haven't encountered anything show-stopping yet.

It's got a whole bunch of really cool enhancements over FF, but what I think you might be interested in is that it's got blogging tools built right into. My GF is a blog-fiend, so I'm thinking I'll be getting her switched over to Flock at some point, since a bunch of their ideas are really great (at least from a blog-centric view of the web).

They can explain better than me though, so here's a snip from their webpage:

http://www.flock.com/developer/
http://www.flock.com/fiveways/togetstarted/13.php

With Flock, blogging is a fully integrated part of the Web. Flock includes a blog editor that works with WordPress (and the new Wordpress.com hosted service), Movable Type and Typepad (and shortly also Live Journal) and Blogger. Other blogging platforms have not been tested.

Example:

Click the Blog icon (that looks like a feather pen).
Set up your blog account (you can manage your accounts, including setting up additional blog accounts, from the Blogs section in your Flock Preferences).
Create a simple blog post using our blog editor and click Publish.
Blog This!
You can easily blog interesting web content with Flock, in just a few clicks.

Example:

Highlight a passage on a web page that you would like to blog about.
Right-click that selection and choose Blog This.
The blog editor opens with that selection already inserted. Not only that, the selection is properly formatted as a Blockquote and appropriate citation is included.
Other ways to Blog This:

Open the View menu and choose Topbars and then Blog Topbar.
Highlight a text passage and drag it to the box labeled "Drag stuff to blog it!"
Or you can use the Shelf (see The Shelf, below).

Flickr topbar
With Flock, blogging Flickr pictures is easy. You can drag and drop pictures from our integrated Flickr topbar right into your blog post.

Example:

Click the Blog Editor button (that looks like a feather pen).
Click the Topbar icon and select the Flickr topbar.
Type your Flickr user name and click Get Photos.
Drag your pictures into your blog post.
The Shelf
The Shelf is a scrapbook for interesting web content that you want to blog about later.

Example:

Open the Tools menu and choose Shelf.
Drag interesting URLs, pictures or text snippets from any web page onto the shelf.
Click the Blog Editor icon (that looks like a feather pen).
Drag items from the Shelf into your blog post.
Note:

When you drag text snippets, Shelf items are automatically formatted as Blockquotes and citations are added.
The Shelf is only for web content. You can't use it to upload items, or drop content from your computer onto it.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

46. Re: The DOOM Movie Oct 24, 2005, 08:33 Zathrus

Makes me want to see the W&G shorts in their entirety

Well worth it. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bought the shorts a few years ago and they're hillarious.

45. Re: Blogging Oct 24, 2005, 08:09 Tango

For a third post in a row (agh, Im getting like Riley), I thought I'd pick the collective brains about blogging. My mum wants to set up her own one to continue the charity work she has been doing up until recently, in the form of a blog. Does anyone with any experience recommend one particular blog interface (Movable type, Typepad, etc?). Rather than have http://whatever.blogspot.com I think Ill register her own web address and host it herself (looks better, more control, upgradeable at a later date, etc.) but was wondering how easy downloadable programs such as Movable Type are to set up, etc.

I know Bunko and various others here have blogs, so any help would be muchly appreciated.

44. Re: No place for Nazis in medicine. Oct 24, 2005, 06:05 Tango

Anyway, I've been to Auschwitz.
While I haven't made it that far east, I did visit Sachenhausen while I was touring Germany a few years back. Those places are well worth a visit. Scary, emotional and upsetting, but very well worth it.

And yes, the Germans certainly had some very smart people working for them. Which the Americans (and British) promptly squirrelled away at the end of the war, to reap the benefits of past and future research. Rocketry, missile technology, centrifuge experiments and so on were all instrumental to both countries' scientific advance in that period. Part of the reason why they stayed ahead of Russia in technological terms.

43. Re: The DOOM Movie Oct 24, 2005, 05:58 Tango

Yes I enjoyed Wallace & Grommet. If you can, go for a late showing so there won't be lots of kids in the audience, unless you wish to take your own of course!

Although they took if from The Simpsons (who almost certainly took it from somewhere else), for some reason the woman playing the organ in the church made me laugh for ages.

42. Re: The DOOM Movie Oct 24, 2005, 02:16 ExcessDan

Yes W&G was amusing. I went with a friend and my girlfriend who wanted to see it and was expecting some childish romp but it had a good amount of adult jokes in it to keep me amused.

Mayor Dan
------------
http://www.last.fm/user/danorama/

ExcessDan

41. Re: WOW! Oct 24, 2005, 00:48 banddirector

After all these years, maybe this team *is* special. At any rate, I'm gonna be a geek and wear my jersey to work tomorrow!

-----------------------------------
I like Pop Tarts

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

40. Re: The DOOM Movie Oct 24, 2005, 00:14 Dan =0)

Peeping out from lurking mode busy work schedule...

A friend or two of mine wanted to see DOOM on Friday night. I passed, and went with them the following night to see Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. An extremely fun, hilarious flick.

Makes me want to see the W&G shorts in their entirety....

Dan =0)

....en žaš besta sem guš hefur skapa er nżr dagur - Sigur Rós, višrar vel til loftįrįsa
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

39. Re: WOW! Oct 24, 2005, 00:09 WarPig

Hey 'Pig, can we say it now?

HOW 'BOUT THEM SEAHAWKS??!!!!!!

Most exciting win in 20 years IMHO. Which I guess is kind of sad when your best win is a week 6 game... but still, yeah... how 'bout them Seahawks!

-------------------------------------------------------
I guess of all my uncles, I liked Uncle Caveman the best. We called him Uncle Caveman because he lived in a cave, and because sometimes he'd eat one of us. Later on, we found out he was a bear.

GO SEAHAWKS!

38. Re: WOW! Oct 23, 2005, 23:27 banddirector

Hey 'Pig, can we say it now?

HOW 'BOUT THEM SEAHAWKS??!!!!!!

-----------------------------------
I like Pop Tarts

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

37. Re: Warhawk Timelapse Oct 23, 2005, 22:22 Zathrus

RAW files are both HUGE (in file size), and tend to be proprietary. That means unless you have Photoshop CS2 (it has a plugin to access the RAW data), you have to use whatever crappy software that's included with your camera to access your images.

Ok, while I agree that going w/ RAW here is just silly -- both due to the increased size of the images and the massively increased expense of the camera (we're no longer talking about a cheapo still camera here!), you are certainly not constrained to Photoshop (much less PS CS2) for RAW manipulation. There's a large number of programs out there that can manipulate RAW data from a large number of manufacturers, including IrfanView, Picasa, The Gimp, and many others.

Oh, and not all cameras support time lapse recording, so make sure yours does. My brand new Canon A610 (love it!) does not. Also realize that 2MP is probably more than sufficient for your needs -- that's 1600x1200. So don't obsess much on that end; a 2MP JPG will end up around 600k, so you can use that to help guess at how much a flash card will store.

36. Re: No place for Nazis in medicine. Oct 23, 2005, 21:55 Buckermann

... I think history will prove that myth of the so-called Holocaust more of an exaduration than fact.

WWII ended 50 years ago. Don't you think that is enough time for "history"?
And yes, the number of people who died in the camps is debated. But no serious historian denies that millions of people were killed by the nazis in the camps. There is no debate if it was thousands or millions, only how many millions.
And don't give me this shit about a worldwide conspiracy of (whatever) group. Everything can be explained with a conspiracy.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 21:57.

35. Re: No place for Nazis in medicine. Oct 23, 2005, 21:40 nin

Oh, and here's a news flash for ya, Kootur. The white majority in America is going the way of the dodo. So in a decade or two, you can blame your circumstances on "the man" and how he keeps you down. Thus, you'll become exactly what you hate now...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/
This comment was edited on Oct 23, 21:40.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

34. Re: No place for Nazis in medicine. Oct 23, 2005, 21:29 nin

<grenade>
So Kootur, do underage nazi chicks for Cali give ya a hardon?
</grenade>

Not that I really want to know...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Warhawk Timelapse Oct 23, 2005, 21:19 MeatForce

Hooooold on... RAW files are both HUGE (in file size), and tend to be proprietary. That means unless you have Photoshop CS2 (it has a plugin to access the RAW data), you have to use whatever crappy software that's included with your camera to access your images. Which means you have to spend MORE time getting the images where and how you want them - and they take up MORE space on your flash media.

Actually CS also included the ACR plug-in for free (and it can be added to 7), but yeah, you're entirely correct that RAW isn't a good choice due to the increased file size.. wasn't thinking there when I mentioned it. Mostly just trying to point out that starting with a still-camera for something like this can offer a lot of flexibility if you want it

Warhawk would be better served saving images in JPG format. You can still do the corrections in Photoshop with the same quality, and they're much faster to move around.

Yeah, I agree that JPG is absolutely the way to go if he's relying on flash memory for storing all those frames.

But you're not really suggesting you can perform the same degree of manipulation on a JPG as you can on a RAW file and still arrive at the same quality, are you? Cause if my mouth wasn't full of raw baby, I'd be forced to decry you as a heretic for saying something like that!!

Even still, you make a good point, as I doubt WH will be obsessing over the exposure of each and every frame, and a little tweak of the histogram here-and-there is certainly not going to muck things up for a project like this.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

32. Re: No place for Nazis in medicine. Oct 23, 2005, 20:20 Kootur

But again, ignore the tard that started it. He can not even look at the pictures in the article(s) to at least know if his stupid racist comments even apply to the situation.

So i'm stupid for making obvious observations, that most people have been slapped into denying by the Ultra-sensetive black people here. Just like in Katrina it was againts the rules to tell the truth but look at the video and see.

Anyway, I've been to Auschwitz. I've seen the pile of prosthetics. I've seen the pile of suitcases. I've seen the pile of human hair. I've stood on a huge field made of the ashes from human beings. A visit is highly recommended. It sets things in perspective.

While thousands did die in the camps I think history will prove that myth of the so-called Holocaust more of an exaduration than fact. thousands yes but there is no solid proof of the millions and millions that we keep hearing about.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 20:25.

31. WOW! Oct 23, 2005, 19:59 WarPig

If you're a Seahawk, Eagle, or Giants fan... wow, those were three of the most dramatic wins I've seen in a while. And to the Philly and NYG fans out there - you're welcome.

Did anybody else catch Parcells hitting his receivers coach on the sidelines? Good stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------
I guess of all my uncles, I liked Uncle Caveman the best. We called him Uncle Caveman because he lived in a cave, and because sometimes he'd eat one of us. Later on, we found out he was a bear.

GO SEAHAWKS!

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo