Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - X3: Reunion

Egosoft announces that X3: Reunion is gold (thanks Frans), and that preorders are now being accepted for the latest installment in Egosoft's space shooter series, which is due for release in the U.K. on October 28:

Egosoft is today pleased to announce that X3: Reunion, the latest in the exciting space simulation series of X-Universe games has “gone Gold” with release dates to be shortly confirmed by regional publishers. The UK anticipated release date is expected to be confirmed by Deepsilver as 28 October 2005. The German version will follow very soon after.

Speaking from the Egosoft HQ in Würselen, Germany CEO Bernd Lehahn confirmed “X3 marks a genuine and dramatic milestone in our game development. Close on 2 years of hard work have brought us to the point where we are ready to take the space genre onto a whole new level and directly into the mainstream of gaming, and to keep it fresh into the future.”

Egosoft would like to thank our staff, publishers and all the fans who have helped bring us this far, and will continue with us for the future.

As a result of the news we have all been waiting so long for, you can now pre-order X3: Reunion direct from the Egosoft shop. English versions will be available first, and as a bonus will be shipping with a free copy of Helge Kautz's Farnham's Legend.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Dave Braben Oct 18, 2005, 18:55 MeatForce

I'm not sure that we want to have this argument.

No NO! No arguments!

This is nice how everyone's just makin' convo in here

Gee, that sounds a lot like the game we're currently working on for PC & XBox360. Its tentatively called KnightBlade.

Yes, it will have 3D cockpits, since there are few user playable fighters in this game; unlike the much larger BC/UC games.

Any chance you can discuss what kinds of gameplay goes on in the "on ship" segments?

I definitely think we need to see some fully fleshed out "live on a spaceship" games, but it seems like lots of the mundane day-to-day stuff could get pretty boring (that tedium is even an extremely common theme for space-exploration sci-fi, for example)..

I always figure being on a spaceship would be a little bit like being locked in a prison where if you try to escape, you'll freeze to death and float off into infinity

It's a great idea, but how do you make it fun is what I'm wondering?

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Dave Braben Oct 18, 2005, 12:17 Creston

Freespace 2 didn't have cockpits, just an HUD...

Granted, but it was a different type of game. It didn't go for the whole feeling of "you're this lone entrepreneur in the galaxy". Which IS the feeling the X games are going for.

I don't know, I just enjoyed getting into a new ship and getting the new cockpit around me. With a HUD, you have no immediate clue that you're flying something different.

It's not a huge deal, but I will miss it...

Creston

56. Re: Dave Braben Oct 18, 2005, 12:08  dsmart 

imagine a space game where you actually lived inside the ship. Sorta like a FPS with a space simulator side.

Like.. you can wander inside the ship and visit several areas, the dorm room, the coffee room, gym, whatever. You could actually walk inside the ship, in a first-person perspective. Then, outta nowhere, the alarm sounds off, lights blinking, and you have to run your way to the bridge and occupy your position and prepare for fight!

Now THAT would be awesome
obviously, playing alone would suck so the fun factor would be in gathering with friends online, be it in CO-OP or whatever. A real fantasy would be on having this sort of game on a MMORPG, but that would be insane.

And then, we try to board an enemy ship and we'd switch to a FPS game, invading and killing the enemies! booya!

Gee, that sounds a lot like the game we're currently working on for PC & XBox360. Its tentatively called KnightBlade.

Yes, it will have 3D cockpits, since there are few user playable fighters in this game; unlike the much larger BC/UC games.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

55. Re: Dave Braben Oct 18, 2005, 11:45 nin

Which saddens me, because it horribly breaks immersion.

Freespace 2 didn't have cockpits, just an HUD...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

54. Re: Dave Braben Oct 18, 2005, 11:38 Creston

What do you mean Creston? You mean the ability to toggle the cockpits on|off?

No, I wish
The_Abyss, the site admin has acknowledged on their forums, alluding to several interviews Egosoft staff did in Leipzig earlier this summer, that X3 will NOT HAVE any cockpits at all.

The few shots we saw with (old X2 cockpits) were placeholders, I guess for if they decided to do cockpits later, but it's been confirmed that there are NO cockpits whatsoever in the game. Which saddens me, because it horribly breaks immersion.

I'll live with it, and won't notice it after awhile, but it's not a great decision in my book...

Creston

Edit : Anybody know if Newton has taken a backseat on this version as well? X2 would have been so much better IMO if you had to take into account the basic laws of motion.

No, there is newtonian movement in X3, that has been confirmed. So you can do powerslides etc. It's not 100%, there's still an arcadey feel to movement, but it's less so than X2. Or at least, that's what I gather from the forum.
I think Privateer compares to it the best, which is great because Privateer had the coolest powerslides ever done in a space game.

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 11:43.

53. fantasy game Oct 18, 2005, 10:31 f13

imagine a space game where you actually lived inside the ship. Sorta like a FPS with a space simulator side.

Like.. you can wander inside the ship and visit several areas, the dorm room, the coffee room, gym, whatever. You could actually walk inside the ship, in a first-person perspective. Then, outta nowhere, the alarm sounds off, lights blinking, and you have to run your way to the bridge and occupy your position and prepare for fight!

Now THAT would be awesome
obviously, playing alone would suck so the fun factor would be in gathering with friends online, be it in CO-OP or whatever. A real fantasy would be on having this sort of game on a MMORPG, but that would be insane.

And then, we try to board an enemy ship and we'd switch to a FPS game, invading and killing the enemies! booya!

52. Re: X3 Oct 18, 2005, 02:09 Shadowcat

Anybody know if Newton has taken a backseat on this version as well? X2 would have been so much better IMO if you had to take into account the basic laws of motion.
If you haven't already bought "Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos" please remedy that immediately (and if you want free-form trading for it then the huge new "Epic Middle States" mod is a must-have).

51. True to their name ... Oct 17, 2005, 20:36 Scott Langley

Egosoft

50. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 19:40 Quboid

Is there some sort of first person view from a cockpit type position? That would do, surely all MFDs and readouts would be thought controlled and rendered in helmet when space tech is that advanced . Just as long as they've kept the mini-windows and opened multi-monitor support to include ATi cards, I'll be happy - X2's mini-windows were great.

Surprised (and impressed) by DSmart's opinions and insight when he's not talking about his games/community or to responding to critizism, all in the style of RM for some reason,

Quboid

- Quboid

49. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 19:29  dsmart 

He means the lack of cockpit graphics in X3, as in there are none, only a HUD this time around. I'm a bit disappointed too as this seems like a step backwards for the series, but whatever, I'll get over it about 5 minutes after starting the game I'm sure.

Bummer. I remember when I had cockpits as well in the first two (BC3K, BC3K v2.0) games. That was only when you had fewer ships. Once the next games (BCM and beyond) came around and the number of player controlled ships grew exponentially, all bets were off. To this day, the BC/UC gamers are still clamouring for them. It costs a *ton* of money to do. Then you have to implement them. And if they are all different designs, well, the GUI gets to be a mess of spaghetti code. Thats why in the X series, the MFDs were not *part of* the cockpits, but rather superimposed on them.

Cockpits are also a major rendering bottleneck depending on how they are done, the graphics card etc. So, I can understand why they were removed.

Hopefully the new and revamped GUI in X3 will makeup for the lack of cockpits.

This comment was edited on Oct 17, 19:30.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

48. Re: X3 Oct 17, 2005, 19:15 Yosemite Sam

Anybody know if Newton has taken a backseat on this version as well? X2 would have been so much better IMO if you had to take into account the basic laws of motion.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

47. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 18:16 4D-Boxing

uhm, NEWSFLASH! major money does not mean you get a good game out of it. Heck, 95% of the PC games released have major bucks behind them. And they flop. So I'm not sure that we want to have this argument.

95% of pc games released have major $$$ behind them?!?!?! LOL IT would be the majority if only 10 games a year where released on the PC!
Maybe if you count the xbox as a PC that would be correct. Why do you think so many good PC games like R6, Mech worrior, become console games?

Anyways I should not even be commenting on this since I do not know what brought that argument into the discussion.

46. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 18:02 Awesome Spume

uhm, NEWSFLASH! major money does not mean you get a good game out of it. Heck, 95% of the PC games released have major bucks behind them. And they flop. So I'm not sure that we want to have this argument.

I just read Greg Costikyan's pieces in the Escapist about the developer's poverty cycle. Interesting stuff.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/8

I'm all for X3 in theory but in actuality I found X2 to be as much fun as learning Excel. I kinda liked Freelancer though. Diablo in space.

45. No subject Oct 17, 2005, 17:19 space captain

oh yes you idiots are right - game developers are always 100% honest and up front... they would never try to misrepresent their product in the slightest

grow up

Go forth, and kill!

44. Re: Wheee!!! Oct 17, 2005, 17:06 Tr0n

Ah, a temp tryout and I'll soon be back to GW.

43. ... Oct 17, 2005, 16:57 theyarecomingforyou

It looks great... I just hope it plays as well as it looks. Graphics have come on so much it should be interesting. It's been a while since I've played a great space game... I loved Starlancer, though it was a bit simplistic - Tie Fighter is still my favourite.

I do agree that joystick selection seems to be pretty poor recently, however I think it would be better playing with mouse/keyboard, especially as it opens up greater freedom through keyboard shortcuts - however, I'm tempted to get an X360 controller for my PC when they are released.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

42. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 16:47 strangelove

He means the lack of cockpit graphics in X3, as in there are none, only a HUD this time around. I'm a bit disappointed too as this seems like a step backwards for the series, but whatever, I'll get over it about 5 minutes after starting the game I'm sure.

41. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 16:25  dsmart 

Still disappointed about the no-cockpits though

Even battlecruiser had a fun space game compared to this.

Yeah, we know. But the X games were never about combat, really. Its all about trading, exploring, amassing wealth etc. So they focused on those parts and did them well.

e.g. my games are about combat - combat - combat; so the trading aspects are minimal (at best); though that hasn't stopped the enterprising BC/UC gamer from doing what they can with it. I never intended for my game to be about trading. I just happened to add it in - and kept it in - because trading is the staple of legacy space games. I should have removed it a long time ago, but when I even whispered it, I swear I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I visited my forum discussion about it. No way was I going to get lynch.

However Ill never buy another battlecruiser game untill he gets some major money behind it

and updated control schemes that work with Logitek joysticks or Gravis even.

Looks like you've missed several generations of my games because all controllers - even mouse flight - are supported. As long as DirectX knows about it, the game will use it. But don't take my word for it; before jumping to conclusions, try the demo.

40. Re: Oct 17, 2005, 16:22 random.thought

Oh, thats the reason? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that its because they're focusing on more important things like...oh, I dunno, GETTING THE GAME DONE, maybe? *sheesh*

Could you please CAPITALIZE more words for us PLEASE? I don't think we GOT YOUR POINT.

39. Re: Dave Braben Oct 17, 2005, 16:22 strangelove

I ordered the original X beyond from import before any one hear even knew it existed

Don't be so sure about that

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo