Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army: Direct Action Today

Uncle Sam sends word that he's been hard at work on a new edition of his Unreal-engine military shooter that's now slated for release today (it says tomorrow, but that was yesterday). Here are the details:

Competitive America’s Army game players rejoice! The U.S. Army today announced that America's Army: Special Forces (Direct Action), which has been designed with the competitive gamer in mind, will be available tomorrow for download at www.americasarmy.com. Direct Action tests players’ mettle in two new missions -- SF Extraction and SF Dockside -- and gives gamers a fast-paced challenge in the new Shoot House training mission.

The America’s Army game team is keeping the action unique and unpredictable with the game’s signature combination of random spawns with random and dynamic objectives, together with carryable objectives, random extraction points and random NPCs. Playing a mission will never be the same twice!

Multiplayer Missions
SF Extraction: SF Extraction keeps the action fast and furious as the objective keeps moving! Both teams must race to retrieve a briefcase containing sensitive information about terrorist operatives in this daytime urban mission. Each team’s mission to locate and secure this briefcase and then carry it to their extraction point successfully. However, once the objective is in one teams’ hands, the mission is on the move as the other team must intercept them to retrieve the briefcase. The team that successfully extracts with the briefcase in hand wins. This mission's spawn points and extraction points (1 per team) are all randomly selected each round. For SF & Indigenous Forces playable classes.

SF Dockside: Dockside is a small tournament mission that takes place during a stormy night in a run-down harbor setting. Both teams must locate and secure two cargo containers containing biological agents. The first team to secure and hold both containers wins. This mission's spawn points and container locations are randomly selected each round. This mission was designed to hold only 18 players (9 per team). For Special Forces playable class only.

Shoot House – A New Training Mission
Shoot House (MOUT Training): For players looking for new dynamic challenges, the Army is delivering the infinitely replayable Shoot House mission. In this weapons training experience players enter a building, consisting of up to 10 rooms, where pop-up targets have been randomly arranged. Gamers choose a weapon and enter the Shoot House building, and in each room, the player is presented with various friendly and enemy targets. The Army’s Rules of Engagement are critical in this mission as players have to make repeated split second decisions to recognize enemies or non-combatants as they engage the targets. Shooting at friendly targets will earn the player penalties. This training will be timed and! scored for each weapon, and results will be recorded in a database and sent to a Web site where players can compare their scores with others. (coming soon). The Shoot House (MOUT Training) training mission replaces the existing MOUT Training in Basic Combat Training.

Tournament Mode Enhancements
The America’s Army development team has revamped the game’s tournament mode to meet the needs of the America’s Army competitive gaming community. This greatly enhanced Tournament Mode is based on feedback provided by Beta Testers and members of the Competitive Community. Players can now switch to tournament mode on the fly and matches can start spontaneously on any server. The tournament mode offers one stop shopping for running a competitive match, and does everything for the players from team and tournament set up to automated scoring.

Enhanced Map Rotation
AA:SF (Direct Action) also marks the roll out of Map Rotation on all America's Army servers. This will allow Server Admins to construct themed rotations with any of the existing (and upcoming) America's Army multiplayer maps. The Army’s Official Servers will have a balance of themed rotations and static maps.

Other enhancements include a new Admin Command Post, adjusted recoil, a damage hindrance system, grenade enhancements, CEM adjustments, added horizontal hand tremor, bunny hopping deterrents and improved Admin functionality.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: sad but true Oct 14, 2005, 13:07 SquirrelZero

While technically true you're arriving at this the wrong way. It's not a matter of "there's a bunch poor urban minorities, lets recruit them". The military frankly could care less what color a recruits skin is or what his or her socioeconomic background is. All they care about is if the recruit can pass a medical exam, can score above the 50th percentile on the ASVAB, and has a clean legal record.

I'm not sure what way you think I'm arriving at this conclusion, but what you're saying is already part of it. They get higher headcounts because:

a) The money offered for education, etc actually means something to poor people. Wealthy people don't care.

b) Poor people are generally less educated than the wealthy, and many don't plan on going to college. The military is seen as something beyond high school in a similar way that the wealthy see college. Coupled with a (statistically) lesser understanding of the world and military life, it's easy to see how education plays a huge role in who the military targets.

c) Wealthy people often end up in private schools. There's no military recruiting in private schools.

There's probably more that I'm just not thinking of right now. Statistically, they go after the poor because it's easier to get more recruits for a multitide of reasons. That's just how it is, and I doubt you'd disagree with me there.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: sad but true Oct 14, 2005, 10:48 Prez

Your little brother is ten times the man, ten times the HUMAN, that fourpak is. He isn't worthy to lace your brother's combat boots.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: sad but true Oct 14, 2005, 09:55 sc4r4b

Wow Fourpack, you have reached a new level of ignorance. Your parents must be proud.

Meanwhile, my little brother risks his life by serving our country in Baiji just outside of Tikrit, Iraq. Needless to say, I am very proud of him.

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=43526450

40. Re: sad but true Oct 14, 2005, 03:44 Prez

This is what you think the young soldiers of today do? Getting "jollies killing sand niggers" and "butchering innocent people"? You sir, I find so reprehensible, that I would hardly want to waste the saliva it would take to spit in your face. I might tell my military buddies were you were though so we could find your little candy - bitch ass and kick the shit out of it.

Outrageous. I haven't been so disgusted in a long time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: sad but true Oct 13, 2005, 23:00 FourPak

Well, if 17-23 yr olds get their "Kill the Sand N*ggers!" jollies by playing this game INSTEAD of joining the US Army and butchering innocent people for real, then it's A Good Thing.

Just like having them play SWAT or GTA instead of joining the New Orleans Police Department would be A Good Thing as well.

upcoming titles in the America's Army series

America's Army: Triumph of the Will
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_of_the_Will

America's Army: Manifest Destiny
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_destiny

( howcum nobody brings up that phrase "Manifest Destiny" when Bushie talks about having visions and conversations from God? )

38. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 21:46 Teddy

You don't see me bitching about the Army's recruitment TV and movie trailer ads because this isn't a movie and TV site, is it? Dumbass. Not downloading it doesn't mean the money gets un-spent and is then diverted to something better, like, I dunno, EDUCATION?

Whilst calling someone else dumb, you're not showing too much forethought yourself. Even if they never made the game, the money wouldn't be 'unspent'. It's already allocated to the military's advertising budget and they don't give back the unused money, they just find something else to spend it on for advertising.

Since your argument seems to be that the army shouldn't be getting as much money as they do, why are you whining about it on a gaming site instead of speaking with your politicians? Find some logic in your own arguments along with where and why you voice them before you start questioning someone else's.

37. Re: Its all in the moniker Oct 13, 2005, 21:44 Ballistic

Haha, you have no idea do you ?

36. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 21:43 Scottish Martial Arts

And that's exactly why the military targets the poor. Military recruiting is much more active in poor areas than in rich ones, because they know they'll get better headcounts.

While technically true you're arriving at this the wrong way. It's not a matter of "there's a bunch poor urban minorities, lets recruit them". The military frankly could care less what color a recruits skin is or what his or her socioeconomic background is. All they care about is if the recruit can pass a medical exam, can score above the 50th percentile on the ASVAB, and has a clean legal record.

The challenge in finding qualified recruits is about access, being able to actually talk with a potential recruit. Most middle and upper class parents have no wish to see their son or daughter go into the military. These parents have the education and skills to ensure that the military has limited access to their children. When recruiters can't get access they can't get recruits. Lower class parents on the other hand, frequently do not have the faculties necessary to block recruiter access. The result is that recruiters "target" lower income areas because the chances of actually being able to talk to a potential recruit, or visit a high school campus is much higher.

The reality is that with the draft having ended a generation ago, fewer and fewer Americans have had any military experience. The result is that most people base their impression of the military off of stereotypes and media portrayals instead of reality. When those stereotypes and portrayals are largely negative it's little wonder that most parents don't want to see their son or daughter enter the military.

35. Re: Its all in the moniker Oct 13, 2005, 21:23 Scottish Martial Arts

The term 'direct action' is usually associated with civil disobedience

No, direct action is one of the five general types of operations undertaken by US Army Special Forces.

http://www.goarmy.com/special_forces/direct_action.jsp

Nice classic structuralist argument though. Suprised you didn't start talking about how it's the duty of artists to educate the public about the evils of the oppressors, as opposed to create propaganda for them.

34. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 20:44 human

They spend 100000% more on TV adds and what not yet I don't see you bitching about that. Its a game, if you don't like the idea, don't download it.

You don't see me bitching about the Army's recruitment TV and movie trailer ads because this isn't a movie and TV site, is it? Dumbass. Not downloading it doesn't mean the money gets un-spent and is then diverted to something better, like, I dunno, EDUCATION?

If that's your argument, you should go tell, I dunno, anti-abortion protesters who hate tax dollars that fund abortion and other family-planning services that if they don't like abortion, they should just not get abortions. Simple as that, right?

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 20:45.

33. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 19:00 random.thought

Bleh. Kooter infecting this thread too? Fucking asshole.
This comment was edited on Oct 13, 19:01.

32. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 18:46 Teddy

Hmmm, I wonder. With the new gaming restrictions legislation, how does it apply to this?

They wouldn't apply to this at all for two reasons. First off, the restrictions are against selling violent games to minors, this one is given away for free. Secondly, the restriction is against M rated games, America's Army is rated T and they intend to keep it that way. That's one of the reasons there is no blood in the game, no knives, you are severely penalized for killing innocents, among a host of other things.

I'm just morally opposed to the idea of using an effectively youth oriented form of media as a recruitment tool.

A youth oriented form of media? What year are you living in? Check your stats, adult gamers are far from uncommon, especially in the tactical FPS genre.

Whether people enjoy tactical shooters or not is one thing, but calling it a bad game because you don't like that style of play is just childish. It is a niche game, just like SWAT 4, just like Rainbow 6 (well, like R6 was until they mass commercialized it and started making them into arcade games).

I still remember the announcement for the 2nd beta of RavenShield. "Now with faster gameplay!" because of course that's exactly what the franchise stands for... fast twitch gameplay with no thinking necessary, but I digress. Don't play the game if you don't like it. Don't play it if you disagree with the concept, but don't pretend that it's some government conspiracy designed to woo children. It's no more a recruitment tool than the SWAT series is for the police, or football games plastered with NFL logos are for them. If you have a problem with this game because they have the US army logo on it, you may as well stop playing anything but fantasy games because anything based on real life has a logo of one form or another and could be construed as a tool to seduce young children.

31. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 17:59 SquirrelZero

Maybe he also says such things in public.

Doubtful, because he'd be dead by now.

You must admit, poor people are more likely to join the armed forces, and many black people (or did he just say 'people in the hood') are poor..

And that's exactly why the military targets the poor. Military recruiting is much more active in poor areas than in rich ones, because they know they'll get better headcounts. But what does that have to do with what he said?

The Army should focus their efforts on getting more bottom feeders from the 'hood' instead of people who actually have futures.

Bottom feeders? People who actually have futures? He's being an asshole, plain and simple, and that's tame compared to his past posts.

One might also wonder why you're defending him.

30. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 17:48 zincthallinide

Maybe he also says such things in public.

You must admit, poor people are more likely to join the armed forces, and many black people (or did he just say 'people in the hood') are poor..

29. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 17:44 SquirrelZero

Right, and that's why he has to use the internet to do it.

28. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 17:37 zincthallinide

Maybe he has such a huge penis that he's not afraid to say anything.

27. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 16:57 SquirrelZero

I doubt he said it to get a rise at all. Read his past posts, this guy seems to truly and honestly hate black people. Worse, he denies that he's a racist and thinks that he's just "saying it like it is." I'll venture a guess here... small penis?

26. Re: Wow the Kooter Factor Oct 13, 2005, 16:40 BoringHotPants

I would imagine he says things to get a rise, not that he actually means such retarded opinions. Hehe, he is about as classless as most "popular" comedians these days.

good job Kooterfreak

25. Wow Oct 13, 2005, 16:15 DangerDog

Full install is 900 meg download, yikes!

24. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 14:57 Dr.Hamstring

yes can we ban Kooter? just read his posts. What a jack off.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo