Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black & White 2 Patch

An English-language demo for Aurora Watching: Gorky Zero is now available, offering the opportunity to sample a translated/subtitled Metropolis Software's third-person action sequel. The demo surfaced over the summer to little notice, but was discovered by 3D Gamers, where the 158 MB download can be found. The demo is also mirrored on FileFront, Strategy Informer, and Worthplaying.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2005, 09:35 Creston

Example, when you pick up a tree to either put in the store house, improove happyness, or to build with you get a little evil sign, EACH AND EVERY TIME. Why am I being evil if I'm trying to help my people?

You're being evil for ripping a tree out of the ground, which is deforestation (?), which is an evil thing to do. In fact, there's an objective on one of the islands to "Deforest the whole island", for 30K tribute. (I wouldn't bother, but hey).

But the good you get is slightly larger than the evil, so it evens out.

If the storehouse is full of wood/ore/grain, why are people still going after these resources even if they aren't assigned to do anything?

They shouldn't, and I don't notice them doing so. Well, grain duh, because they also EAT it, and quite rapidly too. But if you are completely full of wood and ore, they shouldn't be gathering that anymore. UNLESS you made disciples, who will keep doing that.

If people migrate to my city, and abandon their city, why do I have to go capture it and get even more evil for capturing an abandon'd city?

Because you don't HAVE to capture it. In fact, why would you if you're playing good? Those other cities will only be small fries compared to your big city, the one you're trying to win the land with.
Good = one city. It's a design decision. Maybe not a good one, but there you go.
And building an armory to be evil is a bit peculiar yeah. Although you don't need troops anyways. Just build a wall, and the computer AI is too dumb to ever figure out how to get through it.

If you want to play evil the game is a snap, but trying to play good and your pretty much punished through out the entire game.

Well, I think the good game suffers from a few things.
1) It's really nothing more than Sim City.
2) The enemy AI is zero threat to your city once you have a wall up.
3) Enemy capital impressive ratings are too high. If they don't find my capital impressive enough to switch sides when I have 2 public baths, 2 universities, 2 retirement homes and 2 amphitheaters, why IS it suddenly impressive enough if I build one more of each of those? The numbers game is bullshit.

I recommend playing the game in small portions. I played on straight to island 7, and I'm bored to tears with it right now, so I'm giving it a week's rest, and then I'll play it again.

City building is fun, but the creature has REALLY gotten shafted. Btw, your creature's maximum height is size 11. Ie, the size of your own wall. No more huge critters...

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 17:06 Ray Marden

When the page was being built, the Aurora Watching text was accidentally copied twice rather than just the one time...
Stephen is partying too much!
Noting the Op Ed section from yesterday is still missing a URL,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

26. No subject Oct 9, 2005, 14:47 fds

Okay, what's going on here?

"Black & White 2 Patch [October 08, 2005, 3:02 pm EDT] - Viewing Comments

An English-language demo for Aurora Watching: Gorky Zero is now available, offering the opportunity to sample a translated/subtitled Metropolis Software's third-person action sequel. The demo surfaced over the summer to little notice, but was discovered by 3D Gamers, where the 158 MB download can be found. The demo is also mirrored on FileFront, Strategy Informer, and Worthplaying."

Where's the connection between the title and the text?

25. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 14:42 MindTrigger

mOOzilla,

There was an announcement here (and every other gaming site on the internet) when the game went gold. Just because you didn't read it, doesn't mean there was no announcement.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"...We're gonna string you up, You've got balls but..... We got the whip, we got a better bomb..." -Audioslave

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

24. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 14:35 Parallax Abstraction

No. There's also the 1up review at 5/10, and three reviews at 3.5/5

OK, the 1up review wasn't in the list when I made my original post. Not that I trust most reviews they put up. 1up is rather famous for pandering to sponsors.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

23. Is this a first? Oct 9, 2005, 10:17 mOOzilla

First we hear about a patch then we find out the game is released. Isnt the game suppost to come out first? LOL

Oh does it make it fun now?

Curry pot noodles give you the farts

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

22. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 09:59 Geese

Peter doesn't owe me a game that I'll like. He just owes me a patch for BSOD.  
Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

21. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 07:54 Malakai

Well there were some design questions I would love to ask Peter 'WTF were you thinking when you did this?'.

Example, when you pick up a tree to either put in the store house, improove happyness, or to build with you get a little evil sign, EACH AND EVERY TIME. Why am I being evil if I'm trying to help my people?
If the storehouse is full of wood/ore/grain, why are people still going after these resources even if they aren't assigned to do anything?
If people migrate to my city, and abandon their city, why do I have to go capture it and get even more evil for capturing an abandon'd city? Why am do I get evil for for making an armory? Don't these people want protection?
Why is it 5 times harder to pick up stuff and place stuff compaired to the first game?
My roomate who hadn't played the first game but wanted to try out this one was playing it and got totally frustrated to the point he quit playing.

If you want to play evil the game is a snap, but trying to play good and your pretty much punished through out the entire game.

Sorry but that is just a crock of shit. I've been playing good and so far im on 90% good and i'm on the 6th level. It isnt hard to do, and if you understand how the game works, you'll understand how to play the game as good.

Just a couple of other things though that aren't so "smack down" as it were:

1: Picking up trees does give you evil yes. But if you notice when you put either the tree back in the ground, god build, or put it in the storehouse you get a little "good". It does even it's self out there.

2: The people do what they think is necessary. If you have say 50 buildings under construction, some will build, some will collect resources, even if the storehouse is full. Also i think that if trees are closer to the object being built than the storehouse, they'll go for the tree.

3: If you want to become a purely good god you dont take over any towns. You merely build up the single town you star with. I've had some absolutely huge cities (population of 600 with space for 780) with about 35k impressiveness and it looks gorgeous.

20. No subject Oct 9, 2005, 07:09 Ledge

now that thats over, can u guys get started on a sequel, update or whatever to Syndicate/Syndicate Wars.

19. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 07:09 The Half Elf

Well there were some design questions I would love to ask Peter 'WTF were you thinking when you did this?'.

If people migrate to my city, and abandon their city, why do I have to go capture it and get even more evil for capturing an abandon'd city? Why am do I get evil for for making an armory? Don't these people want protection?
Why is it 5 times harder to pick up stuff and place stuff compaired to the first game?
My roomate who hadn't played the first game but wanted to try out this one was playing it and got totally frustrated to the point he quit playing.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2005, 06:40 Moonbender

(and by the way, that average score on Game Ranking is largely because Eurogamer's review dragged it down.)

No. There's also the 1up review at 5/10, and three reviews at 3.5/5. The median score would be 70%, lower than the average. Not that I think gamerankings is a the definite tool to measure a game's worth.

17. Re: I like it. Oct 9, 2005, 03:41 anon@24.76

tactile feedback?
Does your mouse vibrate?

16. I like it. Oct 9, 2005, 02:44 StylezXP

For all you bitching out there in Blues-land. This game is fun. The level of detail and tactile feedback of the islands is astounding. Posting a link to gamerankings then saying it sucks is a good way to make yourself look like a total idiot.

15. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 23:46 Parallax Abstraction

Peter owes us another apology!

I love these self-righteous people who think the designers owe them something. If you went out and bought their game without trying a demo first (there will be one soon enough for this) and you didn't like it, that's cool. But Peter Molyneux doesn't owe you anything just because you didn't like it (and by the way, that average score on Game Ranking is largely because Eurogamer's review dragged it down.) He's one of the only guys trying innovative game ideas in an era where people think Halo is genius. If you don't like it fine, but until you can design a better game yourself, I wouldn't go claiming a designer owes you a damn thing.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

14. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 22:06 Awesome Spume

It's only vital if you're experiencing crashes.

Pretty sad this isn't getting a better reaction. Where have all the good games gone?

13. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 21:38 Tehol

no,peter is a fucking genius.one after another fuckups people still buys his game like sex cake,that's something.

when is the last time this guy made a good game?

12. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 21:34 Geese

My favorite quote about the patch from the devs is "This patch is not vital" - Swell. So in other words, it won't fix the BSOD I get when trying to play. I swear, I've had my current two boxes in their current configuration since Doom3, and this is the first time I've gotten a full blown BSOD. I wanna like BW2 so much...but can't.

EDIT: reading the patch readme shows that it indeed fixes certain in-game crashes. Apparently they don't consider game crashing to be vital to gameplay, since they state the patch (which fixes crashes) isn't vital. Ugh.

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 21:39.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

11. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 20:53 Fantaz

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/535410.asp

10. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 20:37 Frijoles

I'm enjoying it so far, but it is very frustrating. I don't care for the UI at all. I try to move my camera or pick up a villager and I and up using my force hand and kill them. I don't mind, I'm evil, but it still sucks losing them. I don't feel like I can control the creature as well as I could in the first one. I mean, where the hell are the stats for him? I see it pop open in the corner from time to time, but usually it's just his health.

I should read the whole manual I guess instead of just glancing at it. Also, the lag is TERRIBLE on map 5 (second Japanese map). I can't even play with it and I have all my settings set to low (I'm on a Geforce 6800 with a 2.4ghz pentium and 768 megs of ram). Think I'll install those beta drivers and cross my fingers. I don't know if I can finish the map with this much lag.

It's fun when it works though.

9. No subject Oct 8, 2005, 20:04 Acleacius

After reading post 3 and 7 I am convinced 12 yearold boys have been released from their cages.

Have noticed reviews arent very good Gamerankings's average is 7.7 from the gamesite reviews.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo