Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Quake 4

Raven, id, and Activision announce that Quake 4 is gold, and is due to ship in the U.S. on October 18:

QUAKE 4 PC TO HIT STORE SHELVES IN MID-OCTOBER

Mesquite, TX – October 3, 2005 – id Software™, Raven Software and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) have confirmed Earth’s invasion of Stroggos with the announcement that QUAKE 4™ PC has entered manufacturing and will begin shipping to retail stores nationwide on Tuesday, October 18. The long awaited sequel to QUAKE II®, QUAKE 4 enlists gamers in the role of Matthew Kane, a member of the Earth Defense Force’s legendary Rhino Squad, to penetrate deep into the heart of the Strogg war machine and engage in a series of heroic missions to destroy the barbaric alien race.

“On October 18, QUAKE is dialing it up to 4.0 on the Richter Scale with this new chapter in Earth’s war against the Strogg,” said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. “Fusing an epic war-story driven single player campaign, and fast-paced QUAKE III Arena® inspired multiplayer, QUAKE 4 delivers a gaming experience fans will be raving about for years.”

Developed by Raven Software and executive produced by id Software, QUAKE 4 begins only moments after the events of QUAKE II, with the Earth’s fleet launching a massive offensive to the planet Stroggos. As Matthew Kane, an elite member of Rhino Squad, gamers invade the alien stronghold, fighting alone, along side other Marines, and in mechanized walkers and hover tanks as they encounter the Strogg and their disturbing amalgamations of man and machine. Built on id Software’s revolutionary DOOM 3® technology, QUAKE 4 also features fast-paced multiplayer competition modeled after the speed style and feel of QUAKE III Arena.

For more information, fans can visit www.quake4game.com. QUAKE 4 has been rated “M” (Mature) by the ESRB.

View
170 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

170. No subject Oct 17, 2005, 18:31 Chillywack

I don't think the weapons and movement in D3 were bad, they felt pretty good to me. I might agree with you on the maps though, after playing Desert Combat and CS:S for so long, they just seemed too claustrophobic to me. I still had fun with it though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

169. Re: ... Oct 14, 2005, 16:32 CR0C0

Sorry but you have no clue. The movement in doom 3 is identical to quake 3.

168. No subject Oct 13, 2005, 07:59 Ledge

im sure he meant Quake/Quakeworld. The best multiplayer ever done.

167. Re: ... Oct 11, 2005, 18:16 Taulin

I am pretty sure he meant Quake 3

166. Re: ... Oct 10, 2005, 17:10 Celestial Toad

I wonder if the doom3 autoexe.cfg / config.cfg graphics tweaks will work with Quake 4 since it uses the doom3 engine. I got Doom3 running like two or three times as fast on my system just by tweaking the .cfg file. It's scary how much difference it made.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

165. ... Oct 9, 2005, 11:39 theyarecomingforyou

Doom 3 was the best multiplayer game ever. Only players who sucked at it did not like it.

I read some real stupid shit on Bluesnews but that has got to top the lot... the multiplayer was completely average at best. Have you actually played any other multiplayer games? I certainly have and can name a few games that have better multiplayer: Quake II, Quake III, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, UT, UT2004, Battlefield 2, CS:Source, Microsoft Internet Hearts, etc.

Doom 3 relied completely on the engine, which was a great disappointment after seeing what Farcry could do. The weapons felt poor, the movement felt awkward, the levels felt confined and uninspiring, it was far too dark and limiting it to 4 players (8 with the expansion) really limited it rather than making it more personal.

Quake 4 looks to continue on from Quake 3 (one of the videos made it look too similar) but I hope it tries to do things differently... I personally prefered Quake 2 to 3 so I am interested to see where they go with this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

164. Re: Looking forward to it. Oct 8, 2005, 23:15 Masa

I felt Doom 3 was significantly more plastic-y than Far Cry.

Far Cry (aside from being generally better) was the polar opposite of DooM 3.

Only players who sucked at it did not like it.

No. A game such as Battlefield 2 you hate because you suck at it. DooM 3's multi just wasn't that good.
This comment was edited on Oct 8, 23:16.

163. Re: Blue... Oct 8, 2005, 14:36 Celestial Toad

Uh I don't think Doom 3 had very good multiplayer... I loved the single player element, but honestly I think Counter Strike Source is waaaaay better for multiplayer. Hell even UT2004 with all its bouncy jumpiness is more fun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

162. Re: Blue... Oct 8, 2005, 13:11 CR0C0

Doom 3 was the best multiplayer game ever. Only players who sucked at it did not like it. Well I hope quake 4 comes close to it in goodness.

161. Re: Blue... Oct 8, 2005, 07:21 Rockn-Roll

BRING BACK THE QUAKE BLUES NEWS LOGO FOR THE RELEASE DAY!

I agree. That's where it all started anyway didn't it? Keeping track of all the quake mods, quake ladders (yes, they called them ladders back then), quake leagues (I especially like that Quake2League...the first site that posted megapics of ingame snapshots though it only lasted a week before the ISP pulled the plug), and of course mods. Perhaps resurrect some of the actual web pages so we can take a look at what it looked like back then...uhm...actually, it didn't look THAT much of a difference except there was no java, navigation column on the left, etc. Well, the background was still blue wasn't it?

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 07:24.

Let's Rock!

160. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2005, 06:55 Rockn-Roll

Ray Marden:
Hence, my wish for a true sequel to what was presented in Quake. And, yes, I realize I am in a very, very small minority.
And come on! A dragon boss in the one expansion!!!

I'm with you on that! The original Quake series was awesome and innovative, and the mission packs are legendary. Who would have thought that an improvement for a nail gun would be Lava Nails? Htsssssss. The Ogre was excellent...sure the AI was dumb compared to current AI, but that was actually a kewl thing about the Ogre...it was just a loony with a chainsaw!

Quake II was more like a U.S. marine science fiction thing like something you might see on Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. It was great to be evicerated by a fiend. And, don't forget the abominable snowmen!

Yeah, a sequel to the original Quake series would have been great indeed, but I suppose the real difference is the focus in Quake2 was toward multiplayer. Perhaps now that the focus in Quake4 is toward single player we can expect some more fun stuff...especially when there's a squad with you. Oh, and that's where a faster machine will be necessary...if your computer is just barely meeting the specs then your squad isn't going to be much fun to have around....they will probably just get in the way.

Anyway, Oct 18th is just 10 days away.

Yes Celestial Toad has it true...the site now has the feel of Quake4 along with some new vids of the game including a squad based segment and a segment with several more guns including the lightning gun. The site is:

http://www.quake4game.com

This comment was edited on Oct 8, 07:26.

Let's Rock!

159. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 11:19 Celestial Toad

I totally agree about the Original Quake, it rocked pretty hard. There are still people releasing add-ons and improvements for the original Quake also. I'm hoping Quake 5 will be a sequel to the original...

Check these files out, there are new textures, real time lighting, new models and all kinds of stuff for Quake 1:

Dark Places (get the latest stable/offical release)
http://www.icculus.org/twilight/dar...s/download.html

RT Lighting Effects
http://www.icculus.org/twilight/dar...021117_0935.zip

Updated Weapons
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp...atch_models.zip

Updated Ammo Boxes and Pick-ups
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp...obox_models.zip

Updated Textures (about 175mb download!)
http://facelift.quakedev.com/retexture/

Guides:

1) Patch your quake game to 1.08. You can find links to patchs on the net.

2) Open Dark Places and install into your Quake directory.

3) Extract the RT Lights into your Quake directory

4) Extract Updated Weapons into your Quake/ID1 directory. You will have to rename the file. It says something
like "MD_PackFileName.pak". Change it to "pak#.pak". (# is the next number in line. With the full version of quake it will be pak2.pak probably)

5) Extract Updated Ammo Boxes and Pick-ups into your Quake/ID1 directory. You will have to rename the file. It says something like "MD_PackFileName.pak". Change it to "pak#.pak" (# is the next number in numeric order. With the full version of quake it will be pak2.pak probably).

6) Extract the Updated Textures. There should be a txt file for installation.

SIDE NOTE: You can supposively get your quake game to play audio tracks without the original quake cd. Just do the following "rip the tracks into Ogg format and name then appropriately track02.ogg, track03.ogg, etc.. and place in your id1/sound/cdtracks folder"

Wait those links are broken but I think you can find it...

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 11:20.

158. Re: No subject Oct 7, 2005, 01:55 Ray Marden

Oh, I was just referencing my love of the more fantastical setting of Quake over the more sci-fi/space marine setting of Quake 2 and beyond.

I think the original Quake, with all its many limitations, forced id to make a game like, really, none other to this very day. The gameplay evolved and was better in Quake 2, but I miss the design, layout, level interaction, monsters, and setting of Quake. Honestly, I just loved how rough a game it was, how unique it made things. Being the first really popular 3D game, how much of the game was based around the environment? When was the last game that even made the difficulty selection part of the level? Even forcing you to find the hardest difficulty setting? I love that stuff.

Hence, my wish for a true sequel to what was presented in Quake. And, yes, I realize I am in a very, very small minority.
And come on! A dragon boss in the one expansion!!!
Guessing Prey, in a very abstract sense, shares some bits,
Ray

Edit: Typos.
-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Oct 7, 01:57.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

157. No subject Oct 7, 2005, 01:23 Chillywack

Ray, how is Q4 not a true Quake sequel?? I am confused.

Not that surprising really, it happens a lot.

156. Quake 4 site updated Oct 6, 2005, 10:57 Celestial Toad

Hey the Quake 4 site has been updated and now includes some gameplay videos and a deathmatch video. The DM does look to be very similar to Quake 3 arena, which is good for me because I loved Q3.

http://www.quake4game.com

-Albert Einstein

155. Re: Q4TF! Oct 5, 2005, 20:51 Celestial Toad

Maybe it's my monitor, I have a 9 year old 21 inch trinitron CRT and an MSI Geforce 6600gt 128 meg card, so I'm not seeing HL2 in it's full glory. But my monitor still looks very good considering it's age. I've seen the game on newer monitors and it doesn't look much different expcept for slightly higher image clarity.

I don't think it is necessarily "dull," maybe I overstated that. I'm not sure how to describe what I'm thinking. It may be the texturing, Half Life 1 and 2 both use a certain worn or used look for the textures, and Doom 3 has all this shiny metal with bump mapping everywhere and the like. So maybe it is the direct contrast since I went from Doom 3 straight into HL2 back when they came out. The textures in Far Cry also make HL2's texturing look less vibrant to my eyes.

I just thought of something else. I actually remember that id's Wolfenstein 3D scared the hell out of me back in 1991 or whenever that was. I think it was because I had not seen a 3D real time shooter before that, as I don't think they really existed, and the mere fact that it had not been done before lent it more power.

When System Shock 1 and 2 came out in 1994 or 1997 or whenever it was, we were much less jaded as gamers because we had not yet seen Half-Life or Quake 2 or Call of Duty, or zillions of these other games. So I think some of the power of the older games is due to the fact that we had not seen as much and they had more "room" to impress us back then.

It's amazing how much time we will spend arguing about these games lol.

-Albert Einstein

154. Re: Q4TF! Oct 5, 2005, 11:57 TFanatic

Horray, Team Fortress for Quake4. Check it out, Looks awesome!

http://www.q4f.net

153. Re: Sigh Oct 5, 2005, 11:16 kanniballl

In the last few months, I bought:
Burnout Revenge
Ultimate Spider-man
Starwars: Commandos (a while ago)

I was psyched out about Burnout Revenge as I loved the previous one. But I can't stand to play it. I enjoyed the avoiding of cars. Now, when you're going along with traffic the cars are just flying in front of you like you were Superman sneezing.

Ultimate Spider-man was alright, but I beat it in 2 days. I was expecting more from it, and while I liked the graphic style and the "comic book" cutscenes it wasn't that filling.

As for Commandos, I had a blast. Seriously, I really enjoyed it. Sure, it was no SS2 or DX (the original) but it was fun.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

152. Re: Looking forward to it. Oct 5, 2005, 10:03 Creston

That is really how it feels to me; I think the PDAs were great, but they were placed within a hollow shell.

I think the reason it worked so well in System Shock and not within Doom, is that in System Shock (and SS2), the PEOPLE on board became one of your primary goals. In order to do something, you needed to find a certain person, but odds were that that person was already dead. So then you followed a trail of PDAs to trace that person and obtain the information you needed.

In Doom3, there's only a few persons of concern to you, and they all talk to you directly. So all the PDAs have no effect on you, or your progress in the game. They're just there as backfiller, rather than an actual integral part of your game.

For example, in SS, locked doors / closets did not have the PDA with the code lying in the same damn room. (usually on the same level, but there were several times you'd find the code / key several levels away)
In Doom 3, this became really boring. Oh, this door is closed. There's a PDA. Listen to PDA, open the door.
Locked doors were merely put there to FORCE you to interact with the PDAs.

The emails and voice messages were pretty cool, and did provide atmosphere, but they were never made an integral part of the game experience, imo.

I still enjoy Doom 3 though (and the expansion).

Creston

151. Re: Sigh Oct 5, 2005, 09:53 Creston

how completely, utterly bored was I?

Well, let me put it this way, the last game I bought was GUILD WARS, in APRIL. Since then there has been absolutely NOTHING of worth to play.

And now there will be around ten top titles that I WOULD have purchased had they been staggered, all released in the same month.
It's probably not going to make you happy to know that X3 is slated for release on Oct 21st (according to the publisher's website, and Ego said in their last interview they expect to meet the publisher's deadline, so that seems rather firm to me).
Once I get X3, all other games vanish.
Hey, if the industry wants to compete itself to death, fucking let it. Noone ever accused a publisher or developer to actually have a modicum of common sense.

Commanding Creston's (silly) monkey to throw feces at the industry

That'll be my Wolf, but yeah, he'll be throwing mountains of crap!

Creston

170 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo