Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - UC: Gold & UC: AWA Patch

3000AD announces that the Gold edition of Universal Combat is gold, and will be shipping soon via their e-commerce partners. UC: Gold is described as "a stand-alone follow up title to the original Universal Combat game released in February 2004. It contains the full original game plus several enhancements, updates and features." They also announce the release of a new patch for Universal Combat: A World Apart, updating the space combat follow-up/expansion to version 1.00.07. The Version Control File outlines what's new.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 3, 2005, 15:22 Taulin

What you just said is now my second favorite quote right after what you said about eating raw eggs. Saying it is irrelevant to your game is one thing, and no one can argue about that. However, saying they are not needed is ignorant. Since games on a single screen are not stereoscopic, you need extra visual cues to know placement in a 3D world. Place a guy on a flat land, and you don't know if he is floating above a point close to the camera, or standing on the surface far away. In space, I agree that they are not needed. However, it seems a lot of your game is also on the surface of a planet, where that example I just gave is very important. A simple blob shadow would not eat enough processor power to make people want to turn it off. Even Street Fighter 2 had one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 3, 2005, 15:18 Heyou

"9. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 3, 15:05 dsmart

Shadows are irrelevant within the premise and scope of the game.

Further, the eyes does not need shadows to decipher depth cue. OK, who came up with that mind numbling stupid shit? Stupid kiddies. Think they know everything and that rocket science involves sniffing glue or inhaling propane.

Finally, shadows - given the scope of the game - would be a waste of time to implement because most will just turn them off in order to gain performance when running the game. "

Translation: I know nothing about the importance of video game graphics. For those of you who do understand it, umm...you are wrong because you are not me.

9. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 3, 2005, 15:05  dsmart 

Shadows are irrelevant within the premise and scope of the game.

Further, the eyes does not need shadows to decipher depth cue. OK, who came up with that mind numbling stupid shit? Stupid kiddies. Think they know everything and that rocket science involves sniffing glue or inhaling propane.

Finally, shadows - given the scope of the game - would be a waste of time to implement because most will just turn them off in order to gain performance when running the game.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

8. Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Oct 3, 2005, 15:00 trashcan

Man you guys are hard on DS..........I love it though.

7. No subject Oct 3, 2005, 13:20 Optimaximal

Shadows are probably too hard to code ^_^

Off Topic, but I recieved a copy of BC3000AD (or whatever it was) free with an old PC... I demand compensation for the mental anguish I suffered...

6. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 13:11 sponge

Actually that's a very good point, my brain in particular seems to freak out when I don't have at least blob shadows. It never really occured to me until now.

5. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 12:49 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

The tale of a fallen toadie

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim/browse_thread/thread/ca86aaa1f6829c0a/4bf7f83116af05c9?hl=en#4bf7f83116af05c9

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

4. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 12:43 Taulin

Mr. Smart, I would like to recommend one enhancement to you engine that is really necessary. Shadows. You don't have to be fancy, even dark circle on the ground will do. Shadows are an important visual cue that allows the brain to process depth better. I was looking at the pics of your games, and something just didn't seem right, and that was it.

3. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 12:28 Fantaz

mmmmmmm... Visine! *_*

2. Re: No subject Oct 3, 2005, 11:52  dsmart 

Son, you have issues. Seriously, there's a Visine for that.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

1. No subject Oct 3, 2005, 11:51 space captain

battlecruiser 3000 millenium ultimate universal gold edition is finally here!!

Go forth, and kill!

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo