Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Counter-Strike: Source

Steam News has word that the boxed edition of Counter-Strike: Source is now available in North America, as is a new Half-Life 1: Anthology package, each distributed by Valve's new retail partner Electronic Arts. Counter-Strike: Source offers the updated version of the multiplayer shooter in a bundle with Half-Life 2 Deathmatch and Day of Defeat: Source, though EBgames is still offering Half-Life 2 with Counter-Strike- Source by way of VU Games in a collection that substitutes single-player Half-Life 2 for Day of Defeat for $10.00 less. Meanwhile the new Half-Life 1 compilation also includes Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blueshift, and Team Fortress Classic along with Valve's first shooter. Both bundles are expected to be released worldwide "in the coming weeks."

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. No subject Sep 29, 2005, 07:39 Ledge

boxed retail version of CSS plus DOD:source? ... well that DOD:source shoulda been in the damn retail collectors edition. wtf. whose gonna buy this bundle anyways.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2005, 01:06 DefBringer

For the guy below who mentioned the Serious Sam 2 demo- well, it rocked. Ignore the whiners.

You have got to be shitting me.

It was AWFUL. Check out the Seriously.com forums...it's a huge disaster, nothing but thread after thread of people who hated it.

18. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 23:49 Prez

I thought so, too.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 22:53 Reactor

For the guy below who mentioned the Serious Sam 2 demo- well, it rocked. Ignore the whiners.

16. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 22:47 DefBringer

people still play this shit?

rofl

15. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 21:20 Riley Pizt

So is/was CS.
The CS CD-ROM was in the platinum pack and is different from the downloadable version in that it has the training missions.

So I guess this new game is steam powered and requires internet activation for singleplayer
Yes.

as opposed to the older, and now much cheaper generation/platinium box, that also included CS and DOD.
As those were discontinued by Vivendi months ago and the distribution agreement with Valve expired last month, good luck finding the old retail versions. Plus, to play online with them you still need Steam, so Valve will still screw you that way even if you pay the lesser price.

14. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 20:57 D4rkKnight

I sure am glad I bought one of those radeon coupons off ebay for $20 bucks...and to think my friends said I was gonna get scammed, $10 upgrade, HL2:silver for $30 before it was even released...pretty nice deal for an ebay coupon =)

And DoD:S isnt that great, its an updated mod, nothing more nothing less...plus theres lotsa bitching in game about the fact that Valve charged for it.

13. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 20:45 Bhruic

Ok, I can see CS being a separate package. I can see DoD being a separate package. But "HL2 Deathmatch"? As part of a "bundle"? That's just insane.

12. Re: BS Sep 28, 2005, 20:44 Zephalephelah

I like Counter-Strike. I'm good at it. I can tell I'm being shot at, turn almost directly to where it is coming from based on 5.1 sound and take out that enemy.

I like how the maps are simple; and yet very few games are alike. No matter where you are, there are two directions to be concerned about. Yes, you could point out weaknesses to these arguments but generally it holds true.

If CS:S was retail only like DOD, then I would have purchased it. I did not buy DOD:S because I don't believe in buying a game that isn't even available yet. I also don't believe in buying a game when I have an email from the original developers stating that it would not be sold for profit and would continue to remain free forever. So I'm not buying it even if people say it is better than BF2 & CS:S combined.

What really bothers me about having multiple retail games surrounding the same engine is that it's confusing for the new buyer and somewhat disingenuous. When they get home & plug in steam, the lie becomes complete and the never-ending commercial starts playing. You could buy DOD or Halflife2 & play Halflife2 Deathmatch. The greed of Valve is becoming legendary.

The vaporware TF2 will probably be made, because let's face it, that's an extra $20 to fill the coffers. So let's review. $50 for HL2. $20 for CS. $20 for DOD. $20 for TF2. And this is the 2nd incarnation of Valve's greed. Just wait for HL3 when you will have to pay by the episode over steam for a whopping $150 by the time you just throw up your arms & quit in disbelief as Valve continues developing episodes because the money continues to pour in from stupid, cliche', cliffhanger endings. What will Alyx & Gordon think of next?

Someone mentioned FarCry expansion. I'm far more interested in that company. Too bad Serious Sam 2 is considered 'teh suck' because they too are a great company. It's company's like Valve & ID with $55 Doom3 ripoff that need to be sued in a class-action lawsuit for misrepresentation so that other developers don't charge us $90 for Doom3, which is pretty much the cost when you add in the expansion (which to me is the real game making up for the abortion fecal matter which was Doom3).

So, in order to recall a fond memory of lame English,
All your base are belong to us!
You are teh suck!
LOL!!!!11111
S73aM 5uX0R5
and my personal favorite nonsensical saying, "Steaming pile of urine".

although, I kind of like my new term, "the abortion fecal matter which was Doom3"

Signature: Batman is my personal BitcH!

11. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 19:36 Pete

They're already in ebgames as of today. Went in to see what kind of trade in value id get for the psp and i saw them.

If anyone cares, they are in those double case dealies with a black cover and the corresponding orange for hl1 and yellow for cs lettering.

Doin' it Big

10. BS Sep 28, 2005, 18:33 venomhed

Total BS. This game is a mod and was/is free, what are they thinking? What was that other CS retail crap that came and went faster than sushi through my asshole? I honestly cannot remember the name it was so bad, well at least I didn't buy it.

Same with DOD. The screen shots look like crap compared to BF 1942 and BF2
(of course).

Oh well, buy it if you want, fuck that I say (as usual).

9. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 18:18 HellSlayer

Ya? What ya bitching for Assley!?

"Sure your smart!!!Your just not letting anyone know!!?!

o0

8. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 18:15 Prez

Why the hell isn't HL:Source included in the HL1 compilation?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 17:46 Tumbler

40$...?

There was a time when 40 dollars would buy you a full game with single and multiplayer instead of mods released for free several years ago... Guess times have changed.

BF2 Fanboy and Valve Hater.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

6. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 17:29 aldo_14

I don't get it; you can still buy the game from retail (HL2 with CS:S) for cheaper than what their charging.

Which kind of suggests to me that digital distribution would be bad for prices if it was the sole sales medium.... at least the holding costs of existing costs can force reductions.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

5. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 16:56 BicycleRepairMan

*Day of Defeat is (or was) a free download for the retail Half-Life 1 buyers although it was not included the box.

So is/was CS..

So I guess this new game is steam powered and requires internet activation for singleplayer, as opposed to the older, and now much cheaper generation/platinium box, that also included CS and DOD..

http://www.thebrpage.net

4. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 16:32 Riley Pizt

new Half-Life 1 compilation also includes Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blueshift, and Team Fortress Classic along with Valve's first shooter.
Notice how it does not include Counterstrike or Day of Defeat* unlike the former Half-Life Platinum pack from Vivendi.

*Day of Defeat is (or was) a free download for the retail Half-Life 1 buyers although it was not included the box.

3. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 16:27 Sepharo

Or you can buy Silver on Steam and get everything ever made by Valve to this day!

Or you could have done what I did and bought a Radeon 9800xt for $500 like two years ago [?] and got an ATI HL2 Coupon which allows you to get the Bronze version and then for only $10 update to Silver. Originally starting with a free [will kinda] HL2, HL2: DM, and CS:S and ending up with a $10 deal for every Valve game ever made and DoD:S

Whew...

*edit* HL2:DM is an awesome game...
This comment was edited on Sep 28, 16:28.

2. Re: No subject Sep 28, 2005, 16:25 nin

Thank goodness! Assley has something to bitch about tonight!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. No subject Sep 28, 2005, 16:07 HellSlayer

THis is Awesome!!!!!!!! CAnt wait.....ops wrong forums!;0

"Sure your smart!!!Your just not letting anyone know!!?!
This comment was edited on Sep 28, 16:07.

o0

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo