Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had a surprise early bedtime last night... I had a brief interlude with a cold over the weekend, abated once again by pal Zicam, (in spite of the occasional article I see debunking its efficacy), and laid down for a bit after the dueling CoD/DoD releases yesterday, and woke up hours later having learned that I apparently needed to catch up on a little sleep. I feel great now though, so hopefully my bout with a mini-cold means I may miss out on a bigger one at some point.

R.I.P.: Actor Don Adams dead at 82. Sad news about a lifelong favorite.

Cold Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Link: Halo 2 LEGO Customs by Justin Stebbins.
Stories: Bush Urges Conservation as Retail Gas Prices Rise (registration required).
Robot claims 'treasure island' booty.
Weis Uses Play Called by 10-Year-Old Boy. Thanks Heather and Zathrus.
Science: Gulf Currents That Turn Storms Into Monsters (registration required).
Which of These Foods Will Stop Cancer? (Not So Fast). Registration Required.
Seaweed could end junk food obesity.
Media: Sony POP Station.
UPN Screens TV Show on Google Video.
Follow-ups: Space elevator robot passes 1,000-foot mark.
Voyager 1 Sends Messages from the Edge. Calling the Creator.
Scientist Recommends Isolation for Animals Showing Signs of Canine Flu (registration required)
Teh Funny: Penny Arcade. Thanks Philip.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Voyager Sep 28, 2005, 09:04 Creston

I would become a legal resident of whatever state he was running for Senate, just to vote against him.

Terrorist!

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Voyager Sep 27, 2005, 22:15 nin

For those like me that never played it:

Max Payne 2 for $6...
http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001MAXPA2

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44. Re: Voyager Sep 27, 2005, 19:55 Enahs

I would become a legal resident of whatever state he was running for Senate, just to vote against him.

That's not a toy! “ –Frylock, “You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.” –MasterShake.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

43. Re: Voyager Sep 27, 2005, 19:36 Halsy

Yeah like I said, the 90s "Middle Management" scourge. Before that you simply had one guy in charge. It was during the early 90s when every company started promoting the most useless fuckers to middle management positions and everything basically turned to shit. Now you have four managers doing the job of one, and all four of them are gigantic fucking tools without a single shred of knowledge that would even qualify them for their positions in the first place.

Creston, quit wasting time and get a job as a carbon nanotube salesman. Make a huge contract with NASA and get rich. Bankroll yourself into politics and get elected as a Senator. Get onto a NASA oversight commitee and fix the problem.

Cake is good... ice cream with cake is better...but no one is ever disapointed with just the cake.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

42. Gaming Headphones... Sep 27, 2005, 19:30 Halsy

Anyone have a good recommendation for gaming headphones with a microphone? Not looking at spending more than 100 bucks.

Cake is good... ice cream with cake is better...but no one is ever disapointed with just the cake.

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

41. Re: Voyager Sep 27, 2005, 18:49 Creston

a lot of the crap that happens there (c.f. -- the entire Space Shuttle project) is due to budget cycles and political crap that happens well out of their control

Yeah like I said, the 90s "Middle Management" scourge. Before that you simply had one guy in charge. It was during the early 90s when every company started promoting the most useless fuckers to middle management positions and everything basically turned to shit. Now you have four managers doing the job of one, and all four of them are gigantic fucking tools without a single shred of knowledge that would even qualify them for their positions in the first place.

Bah.

Creston

40. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 18:46 Creston

Some "warning" type pop-up trying to "fix" your computer

I got that fucker over on Gamebanshee too (another UGO site).

Damn that thing is fucking annoying.

Creston

39. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 18:17 Warhawk

OK, so I am guessing the answer will be no, but does anyone out there still need a gmail account?

*** Warhawk ***

I made the armor myself. It's not magic, it's just shiny.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

38. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 18:13 Warhawk

Edit - deleted

*** Warhawk ***

I made the armor myself. It's not magic, it's just shiny.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 18:14.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

37. Re: YOU had wool sweaters ? ! Sep 27, 2005, 17:59 Gen. Hospital

Just saw the Late Show (We get them, I think, a week late) with Jennifer Love Hewitt, and the girl race driver. Thinking I'm gonna have to find out if any channels over here show the Indy 500.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 18:06.

36. YOU had wool sweaters ? ! Sep 27, 2005, 17:53 Killer Kane

...YOU were "Lucky"......

"Her left leg was Christmas , and her right leg was Easter...I want to see her more between holidays"

35. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:48 Ray Marden

Ray: Why the hell did you even install that?

Associate: What do you mean? I thought it would be cool. Sometimes, you know, like a clock runs slow and this program will use the internet to always make sure the time is correct.

Ray: But it is spyware!

Associate: What is that?

Ray: AND XP ALREADY DOES THAT! <click a few options, show window with setting> SEE!

Associate: Huh?

Ray: $%@^%@#%$@#%$@#^$@#^@#$@#$%$#
Another favorite is the person with 500000 pr0n e-mails.
Shaking my paw in the air :),
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

34. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:42 WarPig

My mum didn't even know what a 'space bar' was when I first got her going on computers -- she'd be a sitting duck if we hadn't got her a Mac.

My mom went the opposite direction, she's pretty much petrified of doing anything on her computer when it comes to the internet.

-------------------------------------------------------
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex. - Jack Handy

GO SEAHAWKS!

33. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:23 MeatForce

I closed the IE window and it opened up the same damn window again. I closed that Window and it took me to a full sized browser window with an animation of the product in motion, making it look like the host system has errors. I closed that window and it opened up another pop-up that tried to automatically install the active-X applet for the program.

Yes, that's it! I did the same thing, thought, "there's no way in hell I'm touching either one of those dialogue options" and clicked the close box. Just what they were expecting me to do!

And people wonder where spyware comes from and why their computing experience suddenly goes all to shit after a month of surfing the web?

I mean, I know on one level they really only have themselves to blame, but come on! This stuff is just sleazy. My mum didn't even know what a 'space bar' was when I first got her going on computers -- she'd be a sitting duck if we hadn't got her a Mac.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]
This comment was edited on Sep 27, 17:24.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

32. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:18 Bucky

Yeah, it's the Winfixer ad. It gets through the Opera blocker too. I've complained about it before but had stopped since I've only seen it occasionally. Still, it's really irritating.

Don who? Kidding....I may be a young whippersnapper but even I knew who that was.

---
"Pain, or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back." -Al Swearengen

Guild Wars: Alia Arjel Mo/N

31. Re: Possible 9/11 bone fragments found Sep 27, 2005, 17:16 DDI

Not if there was a fear of the building collapsing.

30. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:13 Ray Marden

It is some crappy registry clearning program that tries to be sly and have the advertisement pop-up look like a Windows messaged.

I closed the IE window and it opened up the same damn window again. I closed that Window and it took me to a full sized browser window with an animation of the product in motion, making it look like the host system has errors. I closed that window and it opened up another pop-up that tried to automatically install the active-X applet for the program.

Nice one, UGO.
Assholes.
Noting more and more pop-ups lately,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

29. Re: Annoying ad Sep 27, 2005, 17:04 MeatForce

Blue - you have some pop-up ad that opens a new window when you try to close it - then pops up again when you close the window. Closing it again finally does the trick. Some "warning" type pop-up trying to "fix" your computer. FWIW, I use Firefox here at work.

I got that one as well -- fired up the site on a clean Windows install using IE by accident, and I had brief heart-palpitatons as a million windows opened before me. Even gave me some sort of Active-X type error which made me wonder if it wasn't trying to install something.. Frankly, I was surprised my virgin copy of Windows didn't just lap it right up without telling me

I realized right then that I don't really know what's 'normal' and what's 'shady' anymore; it had been so long since something like that had happened that I had actually forgotten the intertrons could be so intrusive.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]
This comment was edited on Sep 27, 17:06.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

28. Re: J-E-T-S Sep 27, 2005, 17:01 WarPig

They better pick up some D and a new QB for next year.

Well, they did spend their first round pick on Rogers.

-------------------------------------------------------
I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not for our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex. - Jack Handy

GO SEAHAWKS!

27. Re: J-E-T-S Sep 27, 2005, 16:47 Halsy

Vinny is back.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Atai4kya1YrI1Fep..FXc6BDubYF?slug=ap-jets-testaverde&prov=ap&type=lgns

Green Bay is going nowhere this year it seems. They better pick up some D and a new QB for next year.

- Stephen Colbert

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo