Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty 2 Demo

The single-player demo for Call of Duty 2 is now available, offering a one mission sample of Infinity Ward's World War II shooter sequel. The 656 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, AusGamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games (Romania), eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), Filecloud, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), FileShack, Fragland, Gameguru Mania, Gaming Horizon, GDHardware, GameSpot DLX (registration required), Strategy Informer, PC Gameworld, VGPro, and Worthplaying.

View
105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

105. Re: Played the demo... Sep 28, 2005, 18:05 Masa

Again, the game is linear.

Ah, yeah, I'd like to say it was just the mission they selected for the demo. But really, all the stuff that's been said about completing the mission anyway you choose was contradicted in this demo. But then again, the level was too easy to be anything but the first , maybe second mission in the brit campaign, so hopefully it can be excused.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

104. Played the demo... Sep 28, 2005, 05:56 Ant

Ugh, I think I need a new video card. My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) is showing its age. Maybe a major upgrade too, but I am not doing that until next year. The game was choppy even at 800x600 resolution! The demo was indeed short. It almost took about 20 minutes to complete.

I did not get to play the game with bass due to the late hours, but I will check the demo out again when I can put bass on. Again, the game is linear.

I hope the game improves since it is only a pre-release demo.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

103. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 23:52 Masa

Just bought a 19" LG T910BU and loving it.
I wasn't ready for LCD with native resolution, I hate that.

Nice monitor. Though, any LCD worth it's money will have a large native resolution and will display lower resolutions without hardly any problem. Been my experience with my Dell 2005FPW anyway. The funky bastard runs at a native 1680x1050 but standard resolutions below that are dislayed (to my eyes anyway) pretty correctly and at their correct aspect ratios.

102. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 18:42 Shataan

"why it was good to be able to drop the Thompson to single-shot for example"

One of the few things I didn`t like bout this demo. I am used to being able to switch from auto to single shot in most all the mil combat games I have played. Curious as to why it is M.I.A. in COD 2s demo. A demo that has pretty well everything else at least visually.

Hope we can do this in the final release.

101. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 17:57 Prez

Sounds a bit like Ray is dreaming of an idealised Operation Flashpoint.

***Drool*** Oh, why did you have to say that? OPFP2 where are you?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

100. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 17:33 Kxmode

http://www.accurateit.com/index.asp

21" SONY GDM-5411 Same Chassis as CPD-G500, Professional Black FLAT Screen Trinitron Monitor oem SGI .24mm, 2048 x 1536 @ 75Hz. Price: $329.00

I have one at work. Works flawlessly (albeit some minor cosmetic blemishes that are invisible).

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

99. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 17:03 Rhialto

If you can find me a 17 or 19 inch TFT, or a moderately priced CRT than can reasonably display 1600x1280 then hats off too you sir...

Just bought a 19" LG T910BU and loving it.
I wasn't ready for LCD with native resolution, I hate that.
It can display at 2048x1536 but it's 60Hz but it may be fun to look at some times, not to play of course.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 17:06.

98. More Thoughts... Sep 27, 2005, 16:38 MeatForce

I dunno.. the more I play this, the more I'm coming to the impression that the first game was just better.

Many of the differences between the two are just smallish tweaks here-and-there, but the it's the sum of those changes which have left this feeling a bit more like any dog-standard FPS than COD did (which is saying something)..

The lack of a fire-mode switch definitely pisses me off the most. WTF is the sense in that, Slothy?

I recently played through COD in anticipation of this one, and there were DEFINITE reasons why it was good to be able to drop the Thompson to single-shot for example -- especially as you ratchet up the difficulty. In fact, I USUALLY used the Thompson in single-shot mode 'cause it's fucking DEADLY like that! In this one, you need to use a pistol or rifle if you want SS?? BOO! For this non-sensical reduction of "realism" in your game, I hope the Discovery Channel gives you all a good spanking.

Give me clouds of smoke and debris, and I'm a full-auto-using, telepathically-German-detecting, homicidal maniac. I do it with the powers of my mind, and can tell when an enemy is in my sights by force of sheer will alone! 'Nuff said.

Ok, not quite: in my smoky furor, do not try to kill me with grenades, MORTAL!! I not only see them through the smoke, but they don't hurt too bad anyway, and a few seconds of crouching behind this barrel will have me right-as-rain again in no time!

Yeah, now that Ray has reminded me that the health system is really just Halo2's, and I've begun to notice how easily it can unbalance the fights in this game (you just don't die if you simply stay under cover a lot).. I'm wondering how this got past such a clever bunch as IW (and what will Discovery say)? I enjoy not having the insta-health of 'medkits' lying around everywhere, but wouldn't it make sense to at least have to eventually call for a medic if you're getting repeatedly torn up?

Do I have a medic with me? Dunno, don't care. These squadmates feel 10x more expandable than they did in the first game (even though there's been no change at all -- expend away, since reinforcements are still limitless). OTOH, these guys are FREAKING GREAT at wandering into my line-of-fire or running over to check if I actually pulled the pin on that grenade I just threw

I can accept a re-load due to friendly-fire if I pull the trigger when a squadmate has just stepped in front of me (although I do find their occasional habit of trying to physically CRAM themselves between me and some cover while I am engaging the enemy to be grounds for a summary execution, frankly), BUT THEY HAVE A FUCKING GRENADE THREAT INDICATOR. At least they had better. Don't give me a GPS locator to every grenade that falls AND chastise me for friendly-fire in a game like this because the NPCs are too dumb to run from grenades. Just don't. It's really obnoxious and the quality of the gameplay would go up exponentially if they simply reacted properly. These guys have settled on suicide in a major way, and it really breaks the spell.

Anyway, I really dug COD, and have been trying hard to get jazzed up about this one, but the more I play the demo, the more distant that feel of COD goodness becomes for me (and having just replayed it, it started pretty fresh)...

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

97. Comcast and comment Sep 27, 2005, 14:41 Kxmode

I have Comcast high-speed. They've bumped up download speeds to fiber optic. The highest I've ever seen was from Fileplanet at 699 KBps (yes... KB). To give you an idea of how fast that is... I downloaded the demo in about 12 minutes from Fileplanet (from one their free west coast servers).

The demo itself is very nice. On my 4-year-old P4 2 GHz, 1.5 GB DDRRAM, GeForce 5200FX, SB Audigy Platinum the game ran nice! My settings were 10x7, bilinear textures, no anti-aliasing, and the rest of the settings left as is. Hands down this is one of the smoothest demos I've seen yet. Both the Splinter Cell 3 and DOOM 3 demos barely ran at 6x4. Gameplay wise COD2 looks great. I like how Infinity Ward is pushing more of the theatrical feel to their games. This provides the game with a nice sheen that works well. Overall this bodes well for the final game because if Infinity Ward put forth this much effort to make the demo solid and playable on a gambit of machine configurations it only goes to show you what they'll do to for the retail release.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 15:03.

96. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 13:27 Clay

changingman - Where were you downloading from?

No subject Sep 27, 03:53 changingman

Just wanted to say that I'm downloading this at 5658k/s. I wonder if I'm gonna get kicked out of this uni before I even start classes.

Edit: Took 2.5 minutes to download. Damn.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 13:31.

95. Re: Nothing special at all.. Sep 27, 2005, 13:24 Geese

What? More of the same?

Quite possibly. I enjoyed COD and expansion, and I enjoyed the COD2 demo. Graphics were a nice step up, and the core gameplay was the same, so no worries there for me. I was pretty much just hoping for better graphics and some new scenarios. Got that, so I'm happy. If everyone bitches enough, maybe they'll put a toggle for grenade warning indicator and red-crosshairs indicator. Those two things definitely make the game easier, but not really any less enjoyable for me. My only issue is deciding whether to play in the quite beautiful 12x10 at around 20fps, or smooth as silk 10x7, but with a decided loss of crispness.
(P4 3.2ghz, 2gb ram, 6800GT 256mb)
EDIT - my 20FPS remark is based on eyballing it only...I haven't FRAPS'ed it yet.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 13:26.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

94. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 10:11 Speckled Jim

I rather liked it. Yes, it's very scripted, just the original and the expansion, but I don't have a problem with that.

It should have been fairly obvious they weren't going to stray too far from this formula.

Nice enough looking, though my 9800pro is starting to show its age. Couldn't have any AA on and maintain a reasonable frame rate at 10x7.

Normally a game with just checkpoints annoys me, but they seemed to have them placed just right, so it was never a chore. The lack of health bar was odd, seems pretty much like the Halo system, but without a HUD display.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 10:11.

93. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 09:58 Creston

Off topic

Ray: Oblivion won't have a demo, as was discussed in the QA yesterday

X3 won't have a playable demo either, at least not until after the game is released. They're not spending any time working on one, so it might be months before one sees the light of day. I do believe they'll have a rolling demo though (so you can test framerates).

Thanks for the review Ray, very informative. I hate overly scripted games, and I hate WW2 games (most overdone to death genre in existence by now), so that made it an easy decision not to download.

Creston

92. Holy crap! Sep 27, 2005, 09:48 Chip

Holy crap! A german soldier just commited suicide!!!

I come up on a manchine gun nest in an allyway. I pop the guy manning the gun but a second soldier is cowering behind a stairway. He pops up for a moment and throws a potato masher right through the doorway that I was standing near... *crap! run* so i back away and survive. Coming back to the door bullets start chipping away at the wall and door frame. I bide my time. Once there is a pause in the hail of fire I lean out and shoot the guy several times with my tommy in the right side and leg. I see him lean back out of my site then I hear a *POP POP!!* No more movement so I move in finding the guy dead with a luger laying by his side. The guy killed himself. WOW!

(my fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

---

(my Nexus fan site. Check it out)
http://home.earthlink.net/~cgh5541/

91. Re: Nothing special at all.. Sep 27, 2005, 09:38 Optimaximal

I loved Call of Duty, and CoD2 is everything I was hoping it would be.
What? More of the same?

90. Re: Nothing special at all.. Sep 27, 2005, 09:17 Jethro

Apparently Smack_Dabb just doesn't like WWII Shooters. CoD looked far better than BF1942, and in my opinion, CoD2 looks far better than BF2. The game is great, it is exactly what I've been waiting for. I loved Call of Duty, and CoD2 is everything I was hoping it would be. They did a great job with the new graphics engine. I played the demo at 1280x1024 with everything set to maximum, and 4X AA, 16X ANISO, it looked and played fabulous on my P4 3.4 w/ X800XT.

My only complaint is that the Demo was too damn short. I can't wait to buy the full game.
This comment was edited on Sep 27, 09:23.

89. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 09:07 aldo_14

If you can find me a 17 or 19 inch TFT, or a moderately priced CRT than can reasonably display 1600x1280 then hats off too you sir...

I have a 19" Iiyama CRT monitor that does 1600x1200, does that count?

(http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/crt-monitor/iiyama-ls902ut/)

EDIT; I play a few old games - Serious Sam 2 for example - at that res, although if I tried anything new my gfx card would probably jump out the case and strangle me in a fit of a apoplectic rage. Albeit I've never seen all that much point in high resolution myself; most of the time I'm happy bumbling along at 800x600.

Actually, most of the time I don't have a choice......

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/
This comment was edited on Sep 27, 09:10.

88. Nothing special at all.. Sep 27, 2005, 08:48 Smack_Dabb

Nothing special at all. Same old shit just like that first one. Trying to get the look of BF 1942. Scripted game, like a ride at Disney. You can take 100 bullits and live. Natzi's are just stupid and stand and wait for you to sneek up and kill them. All in all pretty piss-pour game. Weak in every aspect.

87. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 07:27 Ray Singh

Off topic

Ray: Oblivion won't have a demo, as was discussed in the QA yesterday

86. Re: No subject Sep 27, 2005, 07:23 Krovven

moderately priced CRT than can reasonably display 1600x1280 then hats off too you sir.

Viewsonic p95f+ is 19", displays 1600x1280 just fine and when I bought it, cost $380 CDN.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - Counter-Strike: Source server.
http://www.ztgames.com - 206.191.170.168:27410

105 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo