Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Heroes of the Pacific Takeoff Tomorrow

Let the epic air battles commence - Heroes of the Pacific cleared for take off! (thanks Frans) announces that Heroes of the Pacific will ship tomorrow, when the World War II aerial combat game will be available for PC, Xbox, and PS2. Accompanying the announcement is the release of a new launch trailer for the game, which can be found on the Codemasters Website (registration required), with one or more of the various versions of the clip mirrored on 3D Gamers and FileFront. Here's a bit from the release announcement:

From exhilarating head-to-head dog-fighting with huge numbers of enemy aircraft, bombing aircraft carriers to mounting massive attacks on land-based targets, Heroes of the Pacific delivers full on aerial combat adrenaline that gets you up close and personal with the Japanese air force and navy.

Beginning with the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the game’s epic and enthralling story line unfolds through 26 missions taken from real events of the U.S. Air Force campaign in the Pacific.

Battles take place in hotspots such as Pearl Harbor, Leyte and Imo Jima. You’ll need all your courage and ace flying skills to dodge the intense enemy fire when you come under attack with up to 150 planes filling the skies in a single confrontation!

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. No subject Sep 23, 2005, 20:16 Mystical PotatoHead Groove Thang

Joystick not enabled in the demo, way to go codemasters, you dumb bastards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: WWII Sep 23, 2005, 04:50 Sty

WW2 took place in a specific time period, with specific sides (Allies, Axis) and specific locations.

You mean like in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Mortyr or Silent Storm? It's become a theme.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

15. Re: WWII Sep 23, 2005, 04:14 Jarek Forhanon

As opposed to Sci-Fi? Fantasy?

You really can't compare broad settings like sci-fi and fantasy to WW2. WW2 took place in a specific time period, with specific sides (Allies, Axis) and specific locations. Sci-fi and fantasy, on the other hand, are specific only in their general requirements. Sci-fi is fantasy based on science, whereas regular fantasy deviates entirely from reality.

14. Re: WWII Sep 22, 2005, 21:49 Charlie_Six

I'm a huge fan of military aviation, WW2 to the modern era. I think if you're going to make a simulation game that strives for realism and dogfighting, then yes, WW2 is your only option.

But really, an arcade-style game doesn't really benefit from a realistic period setting, if you ask me. It doesn't benefit from having real life battles, real life planes. It's been done before, so why keep doing it? What's the point?

If they're going to continue making arcade flight games, I would really like them to branch out to some more fictional stuff. Crimson Skies, both on PC and Xbox, were great games. That's how it should be done. Crimson Skies seemed to take all the stuff that people actually idealise about fighter pilots and dogfights and put it into one slick package. Dogfights, absurd flight moves, flying through tight spaces, and stunts. Flight games used to be my favorite game genre. But the lack of creativity on the part of the developers really sank the industry. They refused to leave realism behind.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

13. Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 19:59 Shadowcat

Because SWON was a flop, and they diidn't want to associate themselves with it??

12. No subject Sep 22, 2005, 17:53 Optimaximal

Why didn't they just buy the license from LEC and call it Secret Weapons over the Pacific?

11. Re: WWII Sep 22, 2005, 17:48 Cabezone

I'm confused, does anyone still fight with prop planes? If you want a flight sim to be more about close dogfighting, guess what the time period it's going to be set in? You only have two major conflicts to really choose from.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
This comment was edited on Sep 22, 17:50.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

10. Re: WWII Sep 22, 2005, 17:20 Sty

Yet even more WWII Crap. Good grief. How many WWII games are there now guys?

As opposed to Sci-Fi? Fantasy?

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

9. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 16:13 Geese

I guess It just bugs the hell of me how over the top the game is with the dialog and how targeted at kids the play seems to be.

I can understand being offended at the dialogue...to each his own. But I disagree that the game is 'targeted' at kids because of its arcade over sim emphasis. I think it's just targeted at those who like arcade-style flight games.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

8. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 16:04 ELITE

I guess It just bugs the hell of me how over the top the game is with the dialog and how targeted at kids the play seems to be. You're right you can pick my argument apart without much effort - for some reason out of all the games/demos I've played dealing with WWII this one bothered me because of the target audience and the over the top effort of the dialog - I could believe this game was released in 1940's as propaganda :-P

7. WWII Sep 22, 2005, 15:41 Smack_Dabb

Yet even more WWII Crap. Good grief. How many WWII games are there now guys? Anyone care to take a guess?

6. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 14:41 Geese

That's why they always seem to eject even if the plane explodes in mid-air. That makes it ok I guess. At least I think they would always eject when I played the demo...

Ahhh...you're right. The ol' A-Team syndrome.

Actually, I was offended by the fact I couldn't ram or shoot down the ejected pilots

5. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 14:37 John

And for that matter...shooting bullets into a plane and exploding the human inside it into a ball of fire is perfectly acceptable, but calling them a "Jap" is offensive?

That's why they always seem to eject even if the plane explodes in mid-air. That makes it ok I guess. At least I think they would always eject when I played the demo...

This space is available for rent

4. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 14:34 Elf Shot The Food

I thought it was the Germans who bombed Pearl Harbor?

3. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 14:27 Fingers M

Those goddamned slant eyes bombed pearl harbor!  

2. Re: Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 13:31 Geese

Offending for the sake of realism is still offending. It's not 'needed' in a Sim any more than it's needed in this arcade game. And apparently the ESRB doesn't find it offensive dialogue, as they rated the game "T" and not mature.

And for that matter...shooting bullets into a plane and exploding the human inside it into a ball of fire is perfectly acceptable, but calling them a "Jap" is offensive?

I didn't find anything offensive about this game based on the context it's presented in.

1. Joke of a game Sep 22, 2005, 12:56 ELITE

This game is simply a shame. If it was put together for what it is (an arcade flight sim) it would be fine - The problem I have with this game is that it will be sold to the younger arcade crowd with racial slurs which are on needed in such a low aimed flight sim. Making a period piece allows for one to use dialog which might offend for the sake of realism - making an arcade game targeted at kids with offensive dialog is just wrong...

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo