Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Return of The Romero

A thread on the ROME.RO GameTalk Forums (thanks Mike Martinez and GameSpot) discusses a recent print article on John Romero's storied career. At one point the developer checks in and reveals he has co-founded a new studio:

But, hey, Daikatana's old, old news now. Like, over 5 years ago. And the fact that everyone remembers that particular game instead of the dozens of other games I've made just shows how negatively slanted the media is - negativity sells.

<evil>When news of my new game somehow gets out, i think everyone will be a bit shocked.</evil>

For the record, i'm co-founder of a new game company in the bay area and am much better off in many ways than i was at Midway. Much happier now.

View
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

61. Re: Free Sep 23, 2005, 08:50 nin

I wonder what would happen if Romero and Derek joined forces...?

A battle of the egos, crossed w/ Thunderdome would be my bet...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Free Sep 23, 2005, 00:10 Camaro76

They should make Daikatana a free download. "Why" you ask, I don't know I guess I'm insane.

You can find the game for free over at his site (way down the page):

http://www.johnromero.com/games_daikatana.htm

His mail order bride is pretty foxy...

i'm co-founder of a new game company in the bay area

I wonder what would happen if Romero and Derek joined forces...?

-----
Blue's Post Enhancer Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

59. Re: LOL Sep 22, 2005, 08:23 Tango

So you have no qualms about courting teenage girls via instant messaging? I guess it's the norm in red states but the rest of the civilized country thinks differently.
Lol.

58. Re: Carwreck Sep 22, 2005, 07:06 zirik

the problem with romero is that he hoodwinked the publisher into giving him tons of cash to sit on daikatana for a long time. he basically milked the company for everything it's got and in the end showed nothing for the effort. that is why he deserves the negative publicity he is getting. his reputation is still in the gutter. why? because no publisher would offer him the big budgets he used to get when he was fresh off the success of quake. all he can do today is co-found a new company in order to use his partners' name in the proposals for cash funding from game publishers. he is hoping nobody will notice his name and the track record he has with big budget games. a bad track record.

57. Re: LOL Sep 22, 2005, 06:57 zirik

oh yay, area 51! oh wait, it went to the bargain bin faster than FEMA could deploy relief efforts to new orleans.

56. Re: LOL Sep 22, 2005, 02:26 Prez

Sure - what about it? I thought the demo showed a game that was competent, if a little by the numbers.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. Re: LOL Sep 22, 2005, 01:08 kyleb

Yes lets not focus on Daikatana as that was quite a few years back; anyone want to talk about Area 51?

54. Re: LOL Sep 22, 2005, 00:14 Prez

When you're done sucking off your Supreme Commander, I have some dingle berries you can pick from my ass, Prez.

About what I expected from a man (if you can be called that) of your intelligence. Most unimpressive.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: Reality??? Sep 21, 2005, 21:52 Hump

This man has lost touch with reality. It's not the press that killed Daikatana. It was the pathetic gameplay.

parts of the game were lousy (first section comes to mind) but it wasn't a complete waste. Much of the gameplay that had been originally planned for release pre-HL1 would've been considered revolutionary had it not turned into a horror show thanks to management. The multiplayer had some of the most fun deathmatching I can remember playing outside of UT. Go to the Shacknews Daikatana release thread and you'll be shocked to find that people found it "not that bad", a sentiment that was prevelant in the first few days of release. What happened is guys like Lowtax, OMM and the rest found it too good a comedy bit to pass up (to give credit it WAS some funny shit they did) and following their lead, the media and everyone with a keyboard in front of them jumped on the bandwagon. A week later the whole game journo population turned DK into something far worse than what it really was, a mediocre game with a few moments of fun that could've been a lot better if things hadn't fallen apart behind the scenes.

Anyhow, after 4 years of catching a veritable shitstorm the guy *probably* deserves some slack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

52. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 21:44 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

When you're done sucking off your Supreme Commander, I have some dingle berries you can pick from my ass, Prez.  
Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

51. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 21:15 Prez

So you have no qualms about courting teenage girls via instant messaging? I guess it's the norm in red states but the rest of the civilized country thinks differently.

Why is everything a red and blue issue with you? It seems rather petty and silly to me, honestly.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 21:15.

- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 20:43 Grandmaster Demonlord Toadeater

Ok, so Romero sucks on his own, and Carmack sucks on his own.

Can someone tell me who was REALLY responsible for Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1? I've been wondering for years now

Satan?

49. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 20:42 Masa

lol, dude, that subject is still old ^_^ I'm sure back in the "red states" they still manage to keep it "in the community" but ah...what part of the "civilized country" do you hail from exactly?

48. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 20:07 Michael Bolton's hair dresser

The "mail order bride" thing the "community" has going on is pathetic. Enough said.

Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

47. What new game company? Sep 21, 2005, 19:25 FourPak

i'm co-founder of a new game company in the bay area
Fran Sanfrisco Bay Area?
What's the name of the company?

46. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 19:21 Ventura

Ok, so Romero sucks on his own, and Carmack sucks on his own.

Can someone tell me who was REALLY responsible for Doom1, Doom2, and Quake1? I've been wondering for years now

45. Free Sep 21, 2005, 19:09 WarPig

They should make Daikatana a free download. "Why" you ask, I don't know I guess I'm insane.

44. Re: LOL Sep 21, 2005, 18:24 Tango

Several quick points:

1) Daikatana was a terrible game. But the whipping boy mentality of the community, including some of the people on this board, is just as stupid as the sidekicks, IMO. Worst case scenario? You lost $40. Five years ago. And how many people here actually bought the game, when from day one the reviews panned the game? Those that did... well JR did make you his bitch - you paid for an unpolished turd

2) The "mail order bride" thing the "community" has going on is pathetic. Enough said.

3) id desparately needs to make stuff of the quality that Romero came up with "back in the day." D3 wasn't a stinker (IMO) but it wasn't as good as it should have been. Whoever said they needed JR, you might be right.

4) John Romero == Designer, but != manager.

43. Re: Sep 21, 2005, 15:53 Rseman

I'm more interested in how it came about that he has firsthand information about the size of Carmack's weiner...

Does Anna know about you two?.... If Carmack isn't doing it for you, maybe you could dig up Johnny Cash and ask him about a burning, burning ring of fire;P

As for Romero... I wish him well. I played Daikatana start to finish. It had some impressive bits. It had some shit. I won't spend sleepless nights waiting for his next game.... unless I had shares in the publisher funding it....then I'd be suicidal....

42. No subject Sep 21, 2005, 15:32 Kxmode

Carsmack Rome.ro

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo