Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rag Doll Kung Fu Steam Plans

Valve announces plans to release Rag Doll Kung Fu via Steam next month:

Rag Doll Kung Fu Available Via Steam October 12th

Rag Doll Kung Fu, a wildly entertaining new game from designer Mark Healey, will be made available to gamers everywhere on October 12, 2005 via Steam.

Featuring a wide collection of single and multiplayer games, either online or with multiple mice, Rag Doll Kung Fu provides players with one of the most creative and unique game experiences delivered in years. Additionally, between game rounds, the challenges of an aspiring Kung Fu master are revealed via outlandish cut scenes inspired by classic Kung Fu cinema.

The game is the brainchild of artist and designer Mark Healey (who moonlights as a lead artist at Lionhead Entertainment). During last year’s Game Developer Conference, Healey presented Rag Doll to industry colleagues. Immediately after this presentation, several Valve employees invited Healey to visit Valve and discuss Steam distribution of Rag Doll Kung Fu.

"Rag Doll was originally just an idea for me and some friends to have some fun making an old style Kung Fu movie," said Healey. "It's amazing to think that a tongue in cheek film project has now evolved into a full game being distributed via Steam. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as my friends and I enjoyed making it."

Steam offers developers and publishers a direct distribution channel to over 5.5 million customers. Rag Doll Kung Fu will be made available for purchase via Steam on October 12, 2005 for $12.95. For more information on Steam, please visit www.steampowered. For more information on Rag Doll Kung Fu, please visit http://www.ragdollkungfu.com.

View
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

10. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 16:09 BIGtrouble77

There's only one company that does online distribution right, and it's stardock.

Games don't have to be on the net to play, games can be downloaded at anytime without penalty, you have the choice of media, and you get to beta test new games if you want.

I just wish they'd compile their games for linux too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: No subject Sep 19, 2005, 16:08 Rhino

Is there a point to this "game"?

It looks like they took that one guys mod for HL2 and put Kung Fu people in place of it.

No way in hell I would pay for anything like that.

It doesn't use Source; and the point is to beat the crap out of opponents by physically moving the limbs of the player character. Swing the arm out for a punch. There are no pre-defined moves; everything is carried out by swinging the rag doll character about in a variety of ways, and performing any actions you see fit to carry out the action.

No way in hell you'd pay for something like that? You've already paid more for less in a game, and likely enjoyed it. Think of it as a brawler, except with a higher degree of fun level in that the player is free to just do as they please without having to worry about excessively complicated combos.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 16:09.

8. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 16:02 RegularX

I guess it's more trouble to right click on steam and close it than it is to uninstall and then bitch about it every chance you get. Fuckin morons. Slamming steam and valve must be the new fad around here.

When something sucks enough that you're forced to uninstall it, then it's pretty damn natural to slam it.

I got sick and tired of messing with Steam just to play a game that I had I already purchased enough on the second install. Now if Valve wants to become a digital publisher, they'll have to figure out a system that doesn't annoy the shit out of people in the process.

7. No subject Sep 19, 2005, 15:58 xXBatmanXx

Is there a point to this "game"?

It looks like they took that one guys mod for HL2 and put Kung Fu people in place of it.

No way in hell I would pay for anything like that.

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?
This comment was edited on Sep 19, 16:01.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:56 DrEvil

I guess it's more trouble to right click on steam and close it than it is to uninstall and then bitch about it every chance you get. Fuckin morons. Slamming steam and valve must be the new fad around here.

5. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:53 Awesome Spume

Its almost like valve themselves is becoming a publisher...

And a distributor. What's your point?

No buying shelf space from retailers, no transport, no duplication costs, no surplus inventories or shortages. If Valve start buying up developers and closing them down they're evil. If they just keep on giving devs an alternative distribution method I'm okay with them. (I do blow hot and cold about them though.) Sorry but without Steam this game just wouldn't get a commercial release (yeah, I know but if he changes his mind and sees a way to make some money that's okay too.). Why do you think Lionhead didn't run with it?

EDIT - that's a poor reason not to like Steam. If you don't want ot sucking up your bandwidth you can keep it running and tell it not to auto-update or YOU CAN TURN IT OFF. I picked up the DOD:S (it's paid for with my HL2 Silver but I doubt I'll even play it) last night while I was sleeping no problem.

-----------------------------
Northern Ireland 1 England 0
This comment was edited on Sep 19, 15:55.

4. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:51 Jaenos

I liked Hl2, I liked CS, but after Steam became too much of annoyance(NO, I dont want you to suck up my bandwidth right now to download a patch) I uninstalled it and never looked back.

Its a good system, but it would be nice if you could set parameters for it; like download anything you need to in the middle of the night or when I am at work rather then whenever you feel like it.

3. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:45 Ray Marden

Uh...they probably will not admit to it for PR reasons, but that is the other half (in addition to the ease and lower cost of digital delivery) of Steam.
In Valve, we trust!
Still not admitting to playing CS; awaiting DoD:S,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:38 jm0ris0n

Its almost like valve themselves is becoming a publisher...

1. Steam Sep 19, 2005, 15:36 Ludomancer

I don't want to install Steam on my PC, so I hope they have alternative methods of distribution. Steam is making it so piracy is a more favorable method of acquiring games like this, and that's not right.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo