Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake 4 Mania

A pair of new Quake 4 trailers are now available, along with a flood of new previews of the upcoming shooter sequel in the works at Raven Software. One movie shows off some multiplayer mayhem, and the other a bit of vehicle action. One or both of the movies can be found (in many cases along with a batch of new screenshots), on 3D Gamers, FileFront, Filerush (torrent), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying. The previews are from a Quake 4 press event in San Francisco, offering hands-on impressions of both the PC and Xbox 360 versions on 1UP, ActionTrip, Console Gold, Game Chronicles, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameZone, and IGN.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: BattleZone 3/Earthsiege? Sep 23, 2005, 20:55 Riley Pizt

who owned Legend, anyway?)
Atari

Really cool, but I refuse to install Gamespy Arcade
If you don't have a subscription to it, the ads are annoying, but it beats the aternative which is nothing.

Maybe you can make U2 itself check that, though.
Unfortunately no because Gamespy makes developers pay for that privilege.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: BattleZone 3/Earthsiege? Sep 23, 2005, 20:23 mag

Even before Legend went under, the U2:XMP master server was having huge problems. Eventually the server was moved over to the parent company (who owned Legend, anyway?), but it only lasted there a short period of time, and suffered huge random downages. Finally, it just went away entirely...

But, I had no idea Gamespy can still find servers. Really cool, but I refuse to install Gamespy Arcade, so I guess I'm out of luck. Maybe you can make U2 itself check that, though... Bah.

53. Re: BattleZone 3/Earthsiege? Sep 19, 2005, 23:32 Riley Pizt

Man. And U2:XMP was some of the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game...It's a shame they took down the master server as soon as UT2k3 or 4 or whichever one was just coming out, came out. Bastards.
Actually the U2:XMP master server disappeared only after its developer, Legend, went under. However, Gamespy is the default backup master server for XMP. So, if you use Gamespy arcade, you can still find and join XMP games. And, if you run a server, make sure you keep the default INI setting to have heartbeats sent to the Gamespy master server.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 23:40.

52. Tribes overrated Sep 18, 2005, 04:03 chili pepper

Never understood what the fuss was about with those games.

I remember thinking how much I thought those games sucked, after trying out the demos when they came out. I was disappointed to say the least.

The weapons and vehicles felt toy-like and pathetically weak. The movement was slow as molasses and nauseating. Tribes felt like playing a toy game in slow motion. After 3 or 4 hours messing around with the demos, it turned out to be an intensely dull experience to me.

The game had nothing on Quake 1/2, or any of the more modern Battlefield games for that matter. Tribes was missing what made Quake 1/2 so great, the solid movement and feel, powerful feel of the weapons, great pacing, etc.

The only thing I thought Tribes had going for it at the time was the innovation of controllable vehicles, though even that feature was poorly implemented.

The little known early predecessor of the Battlefield games, Codename Eagle for the PC (also an EA title AHHHH), for my money was a much better example of the combat/vehicles/multiplayer genre that was emerging from that period.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 04:09.

51. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 16:39  famished 

Even though I never made it through Alpha labs in Doom 3...

Lemme guess. Repetition? As much praise as I heard for Riddick I could not play the game through after playing Doom 3. I simply cannot see that visual style anymore.

50. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 13:05 MindTrigger

Even though I never made it through Alpha labs in Doom 3, I'm looking forward to playing this. I doubt I will do the multiplayer except maybe to try it once.

ET:QW is what I am waiting for as well. I don't want a "return to the old style dm". I'm hooked on large outdoor battles.

One thing I love about BF2 is the squad system. This should be a staple feature in any large scale outdoor shooter, IMO.

---
Disaster Preparedness: Are you ready? Cause our Government isn't. FEMA is a joke.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

49. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 11:16 Scottish Martial Arts

Just play Quake3 then and stop telling game developers not to innovate.

What's wrong with getting a graphical update to Quake 3? If you arn't interested in that you can just get Quake Wars, no one is forcing you to buy Quake 4.

48. No subject Sep 17, 2005, 10:25  famished 

Tip for those in marketing... turn the resolution *up* when you capture your marketing material, not down silly.

47. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 06:47 human

Just play Quake3 then and stop telling game developers not to innovate.

46. No subject Sep 17, 2005, 05:50 Bureaucrator

My greatest hope is that Quake 4 multiplayer reselmbles Quake 3. In my opinion, Quake 3 is the best multiplayer game ever released. And I am bying a new computer these days, only for that.

I do not want something "new" in Quake, since it's close to perfect. It's the same with tennis or football. No hoovertanks or space crafts, please.

45. Re: Lest we forget Sep 17, 2005, 04:43 Animals for Crackers

Still using those. And they function beautifully.

44. Lest we forget Sep 17, 2005, 04:24 venomhed

And does anyone remember the PERFECT user interface for Tribes 2? User created websites, favorites list and a buddy list with EMAIL!

Why the F doesnt BF2 have this? So dumb.

43. Tribes 2 Sep 17, 2005, 04:21 venomhed

I have to admit as well that Tribes 1 and 2 are still my favorite FPS online games.

I mean really, it did it all excellent, and the netcode was INSANELY accurate and solid for its time. Tribes 2 I thought blew T1 away with those bad ass jets and hover tanks. The reason it didnt catch on was that it had an enormous learning curve and also the futuristic guns turned people off.

What I find strange is that I have disliked every Unreal game, which is the closest thing to Tribes.

Also I find it funny how anyone that was relly into Tribes 1 and 2 seems to dismiss and not count Tribes Vengeance. I was SO pissed off that I bought that game. Rather than innovate and stay original it totally sold out and flopped.

Another thing I noticed is that many people into Tribes 1 and 2 were really into Battlezone from Activision. Those vehicles rocked and looked so cool. Hover tanks are a blast to drive in any of those above mentioned games.

One thing that turned me off to Tribes were the people created maps. I really liked just the original CTF maps of T2 and that CTF and Capture and Hold maps of T1. God damn those games were SO far ahead of their time and just don't get the credit it deserves for being so innovative.

42. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 03:52 Beaner

Boy you sound like me. I was also hardcore Quake in the day. Loved Quake 1 and 2 and really got into Action Quake. This was all before Half-Life CS. When Tribes came out it was like this huge underground hit, but it also formed a big rift. Those who were diehard Quake players thought Tribes was a mech game or just couldnt get over jetpacks. And yes, the graphics looked corny compared to Quake or Hal-Life which caused a lot of peeps to overlook it, but thats the charm, the Gameplay was frickin incredible. If some Quake player took hold to it, it never let you go. After Tribes 1, I never played Quake again. Deathmatch was dead and boring after the experience.

The other camp that discovered the game just could not believe how innovative and new it was for an FPS. I honestly dont think a lot of younger gamers realize how much Tribes innovated and influenced team based CTF and larger warfare style FPS games. It was "the first" large scale warfare style FPS in a "fully immersive environement VS the boxed in enclosd maps of every other FPS on the market. Some great competition games on Tribes uber competiton. A lot of Tribes folks have gravitated to BF2 because there is honestly not very many FPS multiplay games that can satiate the appetite if your hooked on Tribes. BF2 is somewhat similiar, but gets slow and boring after awhile.

Now we have Tribes Vengeance and its so embarrassingly bad. Vivendi has truly turned gold into crap.

Now ID and other game franchise are moving that direction and its 2005! I do look forward to ET Quake Wars, but this latest Q4 vid definitely isnt all that impressive.
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 06:07.

41. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 03:39 beaves

I want to see flesh tearing when I shoot someone! Strogg V Humans, blood and bone flying! Make me want to hide from the hideous pain from each bullet that passes through me. I don't want to shoot armored enemies I want to shoot flesh!
STROGGG DIIEEE!!!!!

40. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 01:20 MindTrigger

I miss Tribes/Tribes2. Before tribes 1 came out, I was living in Oregon, a big Quake player. I joined a clan named Western Alliance and a couple of the guys in the clan worked at Thrustmaster. They got in on the Tribes 1 alpha/beta. They kept saying "tribes is something you have never seen. It will change everything". After growing up on Doom, Quake, etc, I was skeptical. Little did I know how much Tribes was going to rule.

At first I looked at the graphics and I said "this looks like shit." After 30 minutes of GAMEPLAY, I didn't care what the hell it looked like. Tribes 1 and 2 were truly my favorite online games. I miss them dearly.

Now, I'm playing BF2. It's pretty damn fun, but it honestly does not hold a candle to the depth and skill Tribes required. Mid air disking, mid air sniping, chaingun, etc, all taking place on the ground AND in the air.

You had to have your timing right when you went against a good player one on one. You had to time your jetpack and landings perfect so you could set down for a couple seconds and get a quick recharge. Then get back in the air and hope to catch your opponent on their way down because their charge drained. You timed your shot perfectly to splash on the ground right where he landed, sometimes from 300+ft away, just as his boots hit the ground. That's just one small example. Mid-air disking was an art left only to the best players. All the weapons required a lot of practice to master. All the years I played tribes, I only concentrated on the ones for the light armor class, and I still could have learned more. I saw people pull shit off that made my jaw drop, and I was an "elite" player. They simply played even more than I did.

My words can't do it justice, but I have yet to play another game where there seemed unending room to grow your skill with each armor class. I always played light, but there were heavy players that were every bit as complex in combat.

Bleh... I was planning to play some BF2 tonight. Now it doesn't sound so great.

---
Disaster Preparedness: Are you ready? Cause our Government isn't. FEMA is a joke.
This comment was edited on Sep 17, 01:25.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

39. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2005, 00:54 Beaner

BF2 isnt bad for an army tactical FPS, probaly the best one available today (until COD 2). Tribes plays a lot faster than all of these games except for the uber twitch style deathmatch games like CS or Quake, but thats the beauty of Tribes. It gives you that large, immersive warfare style of team gameplay thats fast, furious and intense. CTF Tribes, Tribes 2 simply kicked ass. Plus even todays newest games dont compare to its freedom of movment.

FarCry is also a cool game, but the netcode on that engine for multiplay stank.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 00:57.

38. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2005, 23:54 Masa

Without it's vehicles..it's nothing but a gimped wannabe tactical FPS that would normally be found in the bargain bin. I really think they should've covered all their bases instead of focusing almost solely on vehicular combat. Just MHO, anyway.

oh hell, I vehicle whore anything in that game, I admit that. Frankly, I'm not that good at regular DM, so I like team play games. But BF2 feels like I'm playing paint ball. That and base jumping.

37. No subject Sep 16, 2005, 23:50 Animals for Crackers

To me a game like BF2 just utterly shatters everything we ever knew about online war gaming.

Meh. Depth-wise Tribes 2 still blows BF2 clean out of the water...BF2 is nothing new. I doubt BF2 will have me and many others STILL playing for over 5 years like the Tribes series has. It took me less than a few hours to master the nuances of BF2...I'm still learning with Tribes.

I love the challenge and difficulty that game bring forward and am amazed every minute I play at what that engine does right!

Again...to me BF2, while strategic and fun with a good group of people/clan, seems to cater too much to the MORE is BETTER crowd. Without it's vehicles..it's nothing but a gimped wannabe tactical FPS that would normally be found in the bargain bin. I really think they should've covered all their bases instead of focusing almost solely on vehicular combat. Just MHO, anyway. See you on Miami Vehicles.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 23:54.

36. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2005, 23:39 wasp

Yeah, that too Elf. I also loved Farcry MP but maybe that is due to the fact that was my first "jungle" type of DM. The lack of bots in that game coupled with the fact that it sucked 1 vs 1 (only cuz of the size of the Dm maps) i lost interest, otherwise that has been my second fav MP DM experience. Q2 and Q3 i mostly played 1 on 1. Those were good experiences as well. Still waiting for a Hexen 3! oops, there i go wanting a bloody sequel :-)

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo