Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Patch

A manual version of the version 1.7.0 patch for World of Warcraft is now available, though most clients for Blizzard's MMORPG should be able to update themselves automatically. The 53.7 MB patch is available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), VGPro, and Worthplaying.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 15, 2005, 09:39 Muscular Beaver

Right now I have a lot of time and so I started WoW again 2 months ago. I got a char to level 60 (was fun, since I tried the other faction and different quests really kept me playing) but as soon as I hit 60 it was boredom all day. Most people just start working on their faction (which is 10+ times worse than experience in EQ at level 51+ levels) just to get that single item or recipe or do that instance OVER and OVER again just to get a small chance to get that set item or other nice item. That alone proves to me that they are really bored and have nothing else in their life.
The only thing right now that keeps me playing is BG (if it works at all) and my level 47 alt.
If I see those rank 13 or rank 14 players who have top notch equip from BG and MC, etc I really ask myself how bored they have to be. And no, I dont envy them. I almost feel sad for them actually.
And yes, that was the case in any MMORPG ive played, except Ultima Online, since they were smart enough to not use that stupid level system. And I must say the PvP in UO was much better too. PvP in WoW is totally unbalanced and unfair and it even gets worse (just look at that Paladin buff with this patch). Blizzard is unable to balance classes or a PvP system well. On my old server you couldnt play 10 mins without a level 60 to come up from behind and kill your wussy level 30 ass. At the beginning Blizzard didnt even care about the people camping on roofs without anything able to hit em.
People have fun by killing low level players exiting BG and then killing them off before they have finished loading. Blizzard doesnt care about that either.
Anyone who says the PvP in this game is awesome simply has no clue or is some overpowered class with uber equip who doesnt have to fear anything anyway...

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 13:49 Ray Marden

Overall, I was commenting on WoW's substantion post-60 failure and, like brought up repeatedly in the thread, I must lament that this is a MMOG-wide issue.

I will say that WoW, by far, has an amazing interface. I do think it can get a little cumbersome with all the commands you will, ideally, want to have out, but that is a minor issue. From the moment you start, it is easy to control, you can move the camera all around, you can just click on things to have them work/activate/open, it generally makes sense, etc.

I do still say WoW is a heavy grind and that, lately, they are even pushing it in a sense. It is just like the inclusion of some of the newer faction items - nothing based at all on performing a chain of quests or affecting the story/world, but just grinding out an insane amount of time to slowly inch up your faction number.

I have said this before, but the easiest and shallowest way to extend a game is pushing PvP. Though understated, that is WoW's largest indication of the lack of content and the developers not knowing what to do. Blizzard has a lot to do with the expansion, especially given the game being so shut in and structured around that level 60 plateau.

One of the thigns I forgot to comment on is just how much time Blizzard slyly wastes on travelling. When I first loaded up my rogue, I was in Arathi and had a turn in at Booty Bay. It took me nin minutes to fly from Arathi to Booty Bay, I really just clicked a mouse button to turn in my quest, and was given a subsequent quest turn in up north at the rebel camp in the Stranglethorn Vale. My toon is level 38 so no mount; it is walking time. I used my sprint ability three times getting there, meaning it took over fifteen minutes as the ability has a five minute cool down, and only to, again, just click on a NPC to turn in a quest.

But add things up. For literally just clicking on two NPCs, not fighting any mobs, not working on quests (these two quests were both completed prior to my logging in,) it took my twenty-four minutes to complete. Twenty-four minutes to click on two NPCs. I have to figure this was an intentional design choice by Blizzard to make the game longer and cover up how little there is in the game. I will not even get into the grinding of mobs or quests or waiting for a drop, but nearly half a hour for two mouse clicks? That is insane. And to this day, some of the point to point gryph flights still take upwards of ten minutes to complete. I - N - S - A - N - E - !

Overall, WoW is good for a honeymoon period of three to six months, but then it really falls apart. The game just is not there, but it does make it comfortable for the weaker souls to "live" in it. Extend the grind to 60? Ok, but getting to 60 is a bit of a grind anyway. Are you a pre-60 character? Then the most common thing you'll face is lack of instances or "Wait until you get 60." Are you a level 60 toon? Pre-epic? Then you are farming instances for the same items. It is sad to say, I admit that, but I counted my instance runs and it took me about 100 instance runs just to get my Valor set. Even then, the stuff is not that good.

After that, you have to farm Molten Core or Blackwing Lair for the epic stuff. But, those have their own issues. With their lockout, which I understand the mentality of, you have now turned a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game...into a game of forty people (or thirty-plus.) Then here is the issues of drops, inequality between class drops, and the DKP point systems. One of the more sad players that I was alluding to earlier did the math and figured that, at their current rate, he would have to go on every run for something like a month before he could even hope to get his next set item (and, again, if it even dropped.)

WoW is very successful, but I still argue it is trimming down to its core audience. I know that is expanding into new areas in the world, but it was apparent that, at least on the Kilrogg server, there were many less individual players, some people had started leaving, and that the vast majority of the population consisted of alternates.

Back to Guild Wars, it is refreshing in the sense that it is not WoW and it does let you see WoW is aging graphically (at least once you get out of the sh*t-looking early areas,) but it really is just the online equivalent of Neverwinter Nights, IE that game you only play now and then or when really bored. I might log in, do a quest or two, and then not play for a few days. It is there, it is installed, there is no monthly charge for it, but it is not anything I am dying to play. I still want to hit twenty, I think I am sixteen or seventeen now, just to see if there really is anything else to do, but I am not too hopeful.

As any number of my GW-related posts have shown ;), there are a number of faults with the game. I cannot express how it is so absolutely NOT a MMOG. I am a W/Me, but I have not used a single of my Me skills for the longest time now - another failing of the game.

As I said, it is there and installed, but I expect it to collect digital dust on my desktop just as NWN has been.

Noting Indigo Prophecy is just a week out...,
Ray In addition to Myst and the overpriced Fable

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 09:58 Geese

I seriously thought that I was the only person who found it to be a chore rather than a decent game after the honeymoon period wore off.

Isn't that pretty much the case with any MMORPG? I think alot has to do with one's outlook for the game. If your intention from the start is to get that Lev60, then sure, it could all seem like a grind, and when you finally get there you find there isn't a lot of content to keep you occupied. I undestand that. But what about the trek to 60? Did none of you enjoy that? What's wrong with playing to 60 and then quitting?

Those of you saying WoW has a lack of content, please educate me. I've only ever played WoW, Lineage2, Guild Wars, CoH, EQ2 trial, and a handful of freebies. What other MMORPG out there offers more content than WoW? Is there actually a game out there that has you 6 months into the game doing something totally different than you were doing when you started? (not saying WoW does) Aren't *all* MMORPGs sort of content limited?

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 09:59.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

20. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 06:36 The Half Elf

Ding 50!

Well I have played 99% of the MMO's out there dating back to Merdian 59, and I will have to say that WoW has the most polish of any of them.

The biggest problem that WoW did was make the leveling curve not steep enough, and are now dealing with end game issues. But then again I did the beta and have played scince launch, meaning that WoW is not my life, I play for a week or 2 get bored play other games and come back to it.

Any game that you play constantly for long periods of time is gonna burn you out. As for the people you never see log off the game, they are typically farmers or friends/roomates/college kids who share an account and use them as the Main to fetch items for the lowbies.

As for Guild Wars.... I can honestly say I really dislike it. And as Ray pointed out the interface and user friendlyness of it, is pretty shotty. I just recently just formatted my computer and highly doubt I'll reinstall Guild Wars.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 05:54 Cutedge

Even Blizzard's CMs have said that they actually have a large amount of people resubscribe right after every major patch. This should be telling them something...

Eh, I've been playing this again, and it's still one of the most polished MMOs.

They really need to do something about those BG queues though.

18. Re: Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 05:12 Armengar

Thank you Ray. I seriously thought that I was the only person who found it to be a chore rather than a decent game after the honeymoon period wore off.

It was an achievement getting a char to 60 but after that I feared the long samey samey grind again.

Unfortunatley I got branded a lo53r and a n00b for expressing such personal opinions about the sacred w0w. I even tried guild wars (didnt like it much but tried it) and by god was I lambasted for preferring guild wars over w0w for a month.

Personally I found it hard to compete with the couple of hours gaming I could muster per week. My "friends" soon left me in the dust and I had to resort to finding other people to grind with who wouldnt duck out after they got their kit before I got mine.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Blah blah blah Sep 14, 2005, 03:05 Ray Marden

1. Guild Wars is Guild Wars. That is about as nice as I can get. It is just a nice looking, poor-man's Diablo. I have two recurring thoughts when I play the game: the developers do not even know what the word "interface" means and it really should have been this engine that was used for something like Dungeon Siege.

2. WoW is...I honestly think it is trimming down to its core base and really just focusing on PvP, covering up the sheer lack of content and gameplay. It is grind to 60, grind specific instances to get your first class set, and the grind two instances over and over and over and over for your other set.

I think, sadly, a lot of people just play it to have something to do. I certainly did it, it gave me an escape from thigns in my real life, but I actually went back to the game this month after feeling the addictive urge and a few people encouraging me to come back. But...just same stuff again. My level 60 warrior is back to grinding the same crap and my level 38 rogue is just doing the same crap over and over.

A good chunk of the people are just turning into PvP mUnk33z, but the game is hardly balanced, cannot really handle any large battles, and there are much, much better PvP games out there. But...it really is that core audience now. I know some people thst stay logged in for as many as seven hours at a time, there is one player in specifc that I have never seen logged off whenever I have logged in, or you see a lot of people literally just standing around doing emotes to various people.

That last group is the scariest and, lately, the most prevalent on the Kilrogg server. It is "fun" for some people to wait one hour (or more) in a damn PvP queu, play the PvP game for like fifteen to twenty minutes, and then get back into that one hour line. Really sad. Really scary.

Coming back, too, I have tried to semi-communicate with some of the people I previously played with, just seeing what is up or how they are doing, and now that I have stepped back from it, I realize how shut down they are as people and how obsessed they are with their +8 1337 item of dorkiness. Worst of all are the people that admit they are bored, admit they are not doing much, admit they are spending stupid, stupid amounts of time grinding or just building up DKP points...but they still play.
<shudder>
I am only, what, one week into my month of coming back and my rebill is already canceled. As far as I am concerned, the $15 I spent testing things out was completely wasted.

Glad I am past that,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

16. Re: CTmod Sep 14, 2005, 00:16 random.thought

Hey hudson, why don't you shut the fuck up you whiny sack of shit? You don't like GW, we fucking get it. But wait -- don't respond. Mom might see your post time and catch you staying up at night!

15. Re: CTmod Sep 14, 2005, 00:00 The Half Elf

Um Hunters and Rogues are the easiest classes to get to 60, why do you think all the farmers are either of these classes?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. CTmod Sep 13, 2005, 23:18 Wookiestick

Theres a new version of ctmod (UI) for this. The main page at www.ctmod.net is unreliable to download it now. Anyone know of any mirrors for the new version that works with the 1.7 patch?

Love thy wookie.

13. ... Sep 13, 2005, 20:42 theyarecomingforyou

this game beats the pants off of Gay Guild Wars anyday, and now the new Hunter talents kick ass

Of course it does... but not everyone wants to dish out shit loads of money for a buggy game that has been plagued by overcrowded servers since the beginning - I might consider paying if I thought the service and features completely dwarfed other games but really they don't.

I'd rather pay 100 as a one off payment than pay monthly... or 30 and an optional 15 expansion pack every 6 months. Perhaps I'll be more impressed with the next generation of MMORPG's. Heck, even a singleplayer version might be worth putting money down for.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 19:51 Dwarf_Snowninja

Thats why its always best to sheep their pet right off the bat, often with a talent to make it insta cast, then run in, nova and then step back into the dz :P.

11. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 19:08 Animals for Crackers

Yes yes I know! Sarcasm...sarcasm!

10. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 19:06 Brym

He meant frost nova

9. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 19:04 Animals for Crackers

I thought Shamans casted Frost Shock...

Edit: As if any decent hunter couldn't spank a mage without much trouble now we have to worry about this...:(

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 19:07.

8. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 16:28 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Hunters have had a major reworking (beforehand the only thing worth taking was the marksmanship talent tree).
Beast Mastery tree now looks very interesting, was playing on the test servers and 31 points in BM turned your pet into a killing machine (especially against cloth wearers), Plus the fact that beastial wrath means that your pet is actually unstoppable means that any mage that tries to frost shock you then exploit the deadzone is in for one hell of a suprise.
All hunters need now is the ability to give their pets frost/fire resists.

PMB
http://www.beyondunreal.com

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

7. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 16:16 Grounded

this game beats the pants off of Gay Guild Wars anyday, and now the new Hunter talents kick ass

6. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 15:56 tiesto81

I just reactivated my account with hopes of continuing my hunter to higher level. Anyone have any recommendations for a good hunter class guide? I'm curious to know what are some good paths to take with the talent tree.

5. Re: No subject Sep 13, 2005, 15:14 The Half Elf

I have to say it's a very enjoyable MMORPG. Only thing that I know of being broken is the teleporter in Booty Bay for the Horde to get to Gnomeregan.

Other then that having fun, dinged 49 at the 5 min shutdown message this morning

4. No subject Sep 13, 2005, 14:50 Xero

Considering, the current MMO out there, this has the best PVP hands down. Nothing is broken. These patches are to implement new stuff of course, while fixing the bugs and balance issues that surface over time. We pay for these patches.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Currently playing: Skyrim

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo