Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Q&A on Boomtown discusses Bethesda Softworks' upcoming RPG sequel with producer Gavin Garter: "Oblivion represents a quantum leap over Morrowind. Every system has been hammered on, polished, taken apart and put back together, and even totally reworked from the ground up when necessary. Tons of changes have been put in place – Radiant AI breathes life into NPCs with full 24 hour dynamic scheduling. Our combat system has been reworked from the ground up to be more kinetic and fun. We’ve implemented Havok physics into the game in major ways. We’ve implemented a complete facial animation system with full lip-synching and all spoken dialog. There’s not one system that hasn’t been touched. Picking out one change and calling it the biggest would be a disservice to all the other work that’s gone into the game, I think."
  • EQ Expansions
    Gamecloud's EverQuest II: Desert Of Flames Q&A and Gamecloud's EverQuest: Depths of Darkhollow Q&A discuss the upcoming MMORPG expansion and the first add-on for its sequel, both of which are due for release this week.
  • Flying into the Future
    SimHQ's Developers Roundtable - The Future of Simulations - Part 1 discusses the future of flight sims with several simulation developers.
  • DOOM Movie
    The Razaaq Adoti Q&A on DoomMarine talks with the actor who plays Duke ion the upcoming DOOM movie.

View
18. No subject Sep 12, 2005, 18:34 space captain

it doesnt look like "dumbing down" to me at this point - it seems more to be a question of focus... i do find it odd that 1-handed and 2-handed weapons arent split into diff. skills, but honestly its not that big of a deal... how many skills did Gothic have? not as many as Oblivion... and its not "dumbed down"

skills arent really a part of intelligent complexity - they are just statistical abstractions, and basically they just serve to limit you as a player... having one skill for "blades" means you can put that uber magical dagger to use just as well as you can with that uber daedric bastard sword - and thats cool for me

my biggest beef is the dialog system - which i have considered "dumbed down" since the original Daggerfall... i tend to prefer the 'Fallout' method of complex conversation choices based on stats, skills, events, etc.. but you cant have everything

if you are a true RPG fan, you will get Oblivion - its as simple as that... everyone will have complaints, but basically its the only game in town at the moment

they dont make half as many RPGs as they used to - so you take what you get

Go forth, and kill!
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 12, 09:57 No subject Xenos Overdrive
  2. Sep 12, 10:40  Oblivion Morgan19
  5. Sep 12, 11:16   Re: Oblivion nightfend
  16. Sep 12, 15:31   Re: Oblivion Halsy
  20. Sep 12, 22:40    Re: Oblivion Okibi
  6. Sep 12, 11:52  Re: No subject Wolffe
  7. Sep 12, 12:37   Re: No subject Creston
  15. Sep 12, 15:09    Re: No subject Cabezone