Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization IV in October, Preorders Now

2K Games sends word that Civilization IV is now expected this October, following up on yesterday's news that Firaxis' strategy sequel's release date had moved from fiscal 2006 to 2005 (story). In addition, they announce a special pre-order edition of the game:

New York, NY – September 8, 2005 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), and FIRAXIS Games, world renowned video game developer, today announced the Sid Meier’s Civilization IV pre-order program. Customers who pre-order Sid Meier’s Civilization IV at participating retailers in North America will receive the Pre-Order Edition of the game at no additional cost.

Shipping on the same day as the regular version of the game, the Sid Meier’s Civilization IV Pre-Order Edition will feature: collector’s packaging, a CD soundtrack of the game, a keyboard template, a tech tree map and a spiral bound version of the manual. The Pre-Order Edition will be offered through participating retailers while supplies last.

The fourth game in the PC strategy series that has sold more than five million units, Sid Meier's Civilization IV is a bold step forward for the franchise featuring spectacular new 3D graphics and all-new single and multiplayer content.

Sid Meier’s Civilization IV will be released this October for PC. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: What site(s) have the pre-order prog Sep 9, 2005, 07:11 Devster

What site(s) have the pre-order program? I've searched and come up with nothing.
Yes. I agree. I asked and the thread spiralled into slagging the unreleased game. sent an email to amazon asking them about it, but haven't seen anything online yet either. Not a B&Mortar fan...

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: preorder stores? Sep 9, 2005, 07:09 Devster

And FWIW, i really hope they make some sort of in-game function to mail out the games from in game. I always thought the PBEM interface (read: none) was pretty crappy.
I suppose something in game would be handy, but I've been playing for two years smackin' PBEM saves in emails and have grown so accustomed to it I haven't found it to be a bother. Plus lets one strategize a bit via email, since the in-game chat doesn't want to work for PBEM games. I just don't want them to get rid of it entirely, there's really no decent PBEM games out there for folks in time zones not conducive to playing online...

Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

28. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2005, 01:49 Cutedge

Because it's easy?

I think Civ4 looks good. I don't see it as being dumbed down, as they're adding a lot of new concepts to it (religion, for one).

27. What site(s) have the pre-order program? Sep 9, 2005, 01:44 Joker

What site(s) have the pre-order program? I've searched and come up with nothing.

26. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2005, 23:16 Prez

Why not at least wait 'til it's released before judging it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2005, 20:55 Mad Max RW

It'll be watered down bullshit. And I don't get how anyone can like those graphics. If they can't do 3D well (see: Rome Total War) then don't do it at all. I'm not saying the graphics in the previous 3 Civ games were spectactular, but they were perfect for what the game intends to be. I don't know what the hell 4 is supposed to be.

Also, all this talk about "streamlining" features is awfully familiar. I'm betting on a 90% chance Civ 4 will be a catastrophe.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 20:56.

24. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2005, 20:05 captawe

Think this'll be as good as Alpha Centauri?

23. No subject Sep 8, 2005, 19:29 space captain

hey pete - what exactly are you doing big? are you livin large?

Go forth, and kill!

22. No subject Sep 8, 2005, 19:23 Pete

Can't wait!  
Doin' it Big

21. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 19:03 Semantics

Those were quality spiral bound manuals, and they were just part of the package not as some bonus for preordering the game.

The original Civilization didn't have a spiral bound manual, either, and it was perfectly fine, so I don't see what the big deal is.

20. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 17:59 Cutedge

I totally agree. Granted that the civ3 multiplayer was alright (i thought AC's multiplayer was better), but i'd hate to have to wait.

And FWIW, i really hope they make some sort of in-game function to mail out the games from in game. I always thought the PBEM interface (read: none) was pretty crappy.

19. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 17:47 z0dd

I just hope they keep their promises on including the multi-player feature in the initial version. How many more times do we have to hear "multi-player won't be in the initial release", only to be follow by "CIV XXX Golden Muli-player Deluxe V2.0 is coming out this xmas", which has been nothing more than the multiplay they couldn't finish with some scenarios and a few units thrown in.

18. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 17:13 Semantics

I would assume you have to pre-pay in full when ordering online. But the return/cancel policy would still be the same.

I think that online GameStop at least doesn't charge you anything until it ships the game. (Though I think this was the store that was charging ahead of time for the XBox, so just be sure to read the fine print.)

17. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 15:55 Zathrus

I am still distressed that the publisher is taking the attitude that a decent manual is bonus material.

My reading of this was that the content would be the same, it's just the binding that's different.

The bigger deal, IMO, is the tech tree -- the in-game trees tend to be pretty good, but having a visual reference is always a huge plus.

Personally, I was seriously disappointed with Civ3. Monstrously disappointed. Maybe they patched it into playability after several months, but I'd already given up on it by then.

Without a demo, there's no way I'll pre-order Civ4. Absolutely loved Civ and Civ2. If Civ2 was available with a less brain-dead AI then I'd still play it a ton (and no, FreeCiv does not qualify here -- it's fun too, but it's distinctly different from Civ2).

16. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 15:37 Geese

If you pre-order a game, a demo of the game comes out after you pre-order it but before it ships, you hate the demo, can you cancel the pre-order w/o penalty?

At least for EBgames and Gamestop, they allow cancelling pre-order without penalty. It's no different than returning the game before it's opened. Pre-ordering also doesn't necessarily mean pre-PAY in full. EBs and Gamestops normal pre-order policy is $5 dollars refundable pre-order payment. (EDIT) - this is their IN-store policy. I would assume you have to pre-pay in full when ordering online. But the return/cancel policy would still be the same.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 15:39.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

15. Re: Annoying / Cheating AI Sep 8, 2005, 15:28 The Half Elf

What we are getting into the prime time Xmas shopping time, not to mention there is this huge thing called Xbox360 which is gonna drain quit a few wallets.
So get the game out before 360 to get sales, cause if ya haven't been to a EBGames Gamestop or BestBuy lately our beloved PC Game section is almost non-existant, and with at least 3 consoles coming within a year, PC games need all the time they can get before everyone blows their money on console games.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Annoying / Cheating AI Sep 8, 2005, 15:23 Yosemite Sam

I really hope they fix the AI in this game. How many times have you had a single square of unclaimed land in your territory and the computer will make a b-line for it even though they should not be able to see it. You then have to basically threaten them to leave and they get upset at you.

I been reading all the dev stuff on this one and they say that this will not be an issue. Take-two doesnt need to pad their stats, GTA-SA has made a gazillion dollars, from what I understand CIV4 was always going to be an october release. Pre-order bonus stuff sounds cool, I may go this route for this game. Expand, power-up, conquer

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

13. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 15:07 Undocumented Alien

While it's now clear that you don't have to pay extra to get a decent manual, you do have to preorder, which is giving them your money before you know for sure whether the game is worth buying.

I very much agree with that statement, I am NOT a big fan of pre-ordering games because of the reason given in the above quote. While I do plan on buying it, I may want to check out a demo first.

A question for people with pre-order experience -

If you pre-order a game, a demo of the game comes out after you pre-order it but before it ships, you hate the demo, can you cancel the pre-order w/o penalty?

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 15:08.

12. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2005, 15:02 FourPak

pushing up the date --> unfixed bugs.
definitely gonna buy but i wanna see a playable demo before deciding to buy now or buy later.

11. Re: preorder stores? Sep 8, 2005, 14:50 Scottish Martial Arts

Do you have to make an effort to mis-read articles and over-react, or does it come naturally?

While skimming the press release I misread something, nothing more. Where it said pre-order edition I read collector's edition. Honest mistake.

While they're not explicitely stating it, don't you think the normal version will come with a non-spiral-bound manual???

While it's probably safe to assume that the standard edition comes with some sort of documentation, I am still distressed that the publisher is taking the attitude that a decent manual is bonus material. Look at the manuals for the old infinity engine games, or the last Firaxis game: Pirates. Those were quality spiral bound manuals, and they were just part of the package not as some bonus for preordering the game. While it's now clear that you don't have to pay extra to get a decent manual, you do have to preorder, which is giving them your money before you know for sure whether the game is worth buying. Still a bullshit practice if you ask me. A nice manual should just be part of the package, not a bonus that you have to make an extra effort to get.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo