Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minerva for Half-Life 2

The first map from the Minerva single-player episodic modification for Half-Life 2 is now available (thanks Planet Half-Life and Ant). The map is the first of three from the game's first chapter, which is titled Metastasis, and word is: "The maps are linked by a common plotline, based in the Half-Life 2 universe but with ... extensions. Significantly influenced by games such as the Marathon and System Shock series, each map will feature enigmatic directions and instructions from an unknown third party, continuous with the well-received Half-Life 1 map Someplace Else."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: great Sep 9, 2005, 00:00 Prez

I thought it was more the console shackles that screwed IW, myself.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: great Sep 8, 2005, 11:31 Scottish Martial Arts

It'd be cool as shit if they had done Deus Ex IW with the source engine..

Yep, Ions decision to build their own tech really fucked IW and to a lesser extent Thief 3.

19. Re: great Sep 8, 2005, 05:25 Sixis

Did this map remind anyone else of the Halo SP level they put in the Halo demo? The one that starts with an aerial insertion on an island, you circle it on foot, assault a central base, travel underground through said base, etc? Not that I'm complaining, it's a very well done project (hard to believe it was only one guy doing most of the work!) although any comparison to SS or DX seems misplaced....it really just feels like it could've been a level in HL2.

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

18. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 23:55 Yutz

was good, I was surprised at how quickly it was over though

17. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 20:06 Xenos Overdrive

It'd be cool as shit if they had done Deus Ex IW with the source engine...

16. Great Mod Sep 7, 2005, 19:57 MeatForce

WOW.

VERY very nice job; it's not often you get to see such polished work in a mod. I'll definitely be on the lookout for future episodes of this one.

Tons of references to mythology in there too, which has had me puzzling over the possible significance ever since I finished playing this episode. I'm curious about the mixed references to Greek and Roman mythology, but fairly certain that it's deliberate. Probably still too early on to speculate, but I've still got my guesses as to what's happening ...

Minerva, BTW was [HL2MSST] among other things, the Roman goddess of war/warriors (also medicine and art, I think). Rather than being born, they believed that she emerged from Jupiter's brain fully grown and prepared for battle..

So you just KNOW they are referencing Breen, since it's quite clear that he's got some pet project in the works down there.. I'm not expecting things to start shooting out of his head or anything, but I'm really wondering if there's going to be some kind of kick-ass superweapon/boss to fight at the end of this thing :)
[/HL2MSST]

Anyway, I'm just a sucker for trying to figure stuff like this out.. anyone else have theories?

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

15. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2005, 17:21 Prez

It seems the HL2 mods are starting to come out a little faster, now. It had been suggested the overall dearth of mods up to now has been due to modders getting used to the HL2 engine. If this was the case, it appears that they are doing so, finally.

There are several mods coming for HL2 that look great. Dystopia , for one. I love PC gaming. Modders rule!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 16:37 space captain

dystopia looks cool as shit - def gonna download that

Go forth, and kill!

13. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 15:54 Scottish Martial Arts

Hmmmm ... gameplay of SS2 and Deus Ex in the Source engine?

Well, not quite. You get little messages from what's probably an AI from time to time but that's about where the similarities end. Still it's a great level if you enjoy Half-Life 2. It's just unfortunate that more user made levels of this quality haven't been released.

edit: As others have said that was a really big fucking level. The more I've thought about it the more it becomes clear that there isn't anything inherent to the Source engine that would prevent Far Cry-style open ended levels. Maybe not Rebellion size but certainly quite large and freeform. Hopefully the Half-Life 2 episode that follows Aftermath and is supposed to focus on vehicles will have that open ended nature to it.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 17:01.

12. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 15:17 Gandhi

Hmmmm ... gameplay of SS2 and Deus Ex in the Source engine? For free?! I will have to check this out.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

11. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 14:45 MeatForce

even with all that turned on the game didn't look any better than I remember it on my 9800 pro. I'm sure there are less jaggies and the walls/ground looks sharper but I expected more.

What more were you expecting? The two cards are rendering identical pixels in HL2, since all the cool stuff is fully supported by the 9800s (9700s for that matter).

Wait a bit to see how the HDR stuff shakes out in Lost Coast. Not sure how the older-tech cards will fare with that stuff feature-wise (suspect they'll still support everything though), but you'll probably be very happy with the X800 when it comes to framerate at the very least

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

10. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 14:34 Hunterzyph

Tumbler's problem was expectations. If you set it miles high and it falls short, who's fault is that?

Enemies do die with shots (ie than one) to the head, I played it all the way through on hard with no problems. As for quality, I'd reckon you didn't get far enough to fully evaluate the statement.

9. I finished it last night... Sep 7, 2005, 14:25 Ant

Great map! It is basically an island map but it is huge (not big as those Far Cry maps). I think it took me over an hour to finish. I think the music were new too. I cannot wait for the next maps/episodes!

Oh, and I got dizzy from this game again.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 14:20 Tumbler

Get a sense of Humor Prodigy. Sheesh.
It's just a friekin game.

I did try it though. Steam bothers me so much.

The level is ok but one thing I noticed right away playing on hard was that the enemies wouldn't die even with direct headshots. Poured bullets into them and eventually they die but it's almost comical how long it takes. Started again on Medium difficulty and still really annoying that the weapons in the game don't seem to have any punch. I think calling the AI and scripting good is misleading as much of the difficulty is from the bad guys having a lot of hitpoints.

As far as this matching Valve's quality well I'd say that is stretching the truth. It does involve more detail than you would find in your average user created map but even I know that valve puts more detail than this into their maps.

One huge difference I noticed is the lack of loading. Fired up HL2 last night just to see what AA & AF on full made the game look like and remembered why this game angered me so much. LOADING..., LOADING...

This is my first time doing anything with HL2 since getting my new X800XT Platinum Edition. It recommends having everything on high cept vertical sync, and even with all that turned on the game didn't look any better than I remember it on my 9800 pro. I'm sure there are less jaggies and the walls/ground looks sharper but I expected more.

BF2 Fanboy and Valve Hater.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

7. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 14:00 Fantaz

Great! We could use some more of these maps/mods. Get to work!

6. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 13:44 ProdigyXL

Tumbler, could you troll else where. We are all well aware that no matter how great another game maybe, you'll always play BF2 instead.

We all feel sorry for you, and we're all over it.

The map itself is one of the best custom maps available, easily matching Valve's quality. It diffenently worth looking at if you enjoy Half-Life 2 in anyway.

5. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 13:04 Silicon Avatar

Great scripting and mapping. Writing gives it a juvenile feel and needs work. Overall a good effort.

4. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 12:39 Hump

Don't forget, the "Dystopia" mod ( http://www.dystopia-game.com/ ) demo is coming out Friday and it looks spectacular.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

3. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 11:41 Tumbler

Hmm I like system shock.

I like system shock...
NO, don't listen to them! It's a trick!
Mabye it's not, mabye someone who doesn't suck made this level?
NO, stay strong, don't do it!
fighting the urge to try this out.
Bah, Back to bf2.

BF2 Fanboy and Valve Hater.
This comment was edited on Sep 7, 11:41.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

2. Re: great Sep 7, 2005, 11:00 Rosco

Whoa, with comments like that, this sounds most interesting, I'll have to give it a go as well.  
Consoles are schwag.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo