Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BF2 Exploit Warning Again

The Battlefield 2 Website has an update repeating a warning about dedicated stat-padding ranked recently sent to EA's ranked server partners (story). Here's the deal:

It has come to our attention that some groups that have rented ranked servers from our partners have chosen to set aside normal gameplay and enforce exploitation of the game logic. This violates EA's "Ranked Server" policy and will not be tolerated.

Groups found to be encouraging this behavior on ranked servers that they have leased risk having their servers de-listed and potentially being prohibited from leasing a Ranked server from any of our partners. Any players found on servers that have institutionalized exploitation of the game system will have their accrued stats reviewed and potentially wiped. A further investigation will be made to review the stats for all members of the group that organized the exploitation.

We have notified all ranked server partners to monitor for this sort of behavior and to report it moving forward. If you are playing on a Ranked server and observe this behavior, please report it on the forums at www.bf2rankedservers.com.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 8, 2005, 12:26 mOOzilla

If they remove the rankings they kill BF2 instantly.

It's not gona happen

Curry pot noodles give you the farts

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 17:01 Gatzby

Yup, if I don't have my unlocks, there's usually a hiccup with the stats server. Typically clears up within five minutes or so. It's pretty rare that a ranked server has them turned off completely.

As far as fixing the exploiting, I don't think removing the rankings is the right option. I enjoy seeing my progress, and wish there were more benefits (once you hit Lance Corp, or Sargeant, it gets pretty boring). I think a step in the right direction would be to remove the leaderboards and let people only view their own stats. I don't know how you could enforce that limitation on third-party sites, though, especially since it's kind of fun to compare with friends.

26. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 16:18 Eye 4N Eye

Ok...I'll give your suggestions a try...Thanks ppl  
Eye 4N Eye

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

25. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 15:15 mOOzilla

Ranked servers do allow unlocked weapons you EARNED but the "ALLOW GLOBAL UNLOCKES = FALSE" you see is for only permitting EARNED unlocks and not anybody to have unlocks, sometimes I have had it not permit my unlocks but a simple rejoin fixes that.

I suggest you chear your chache and rejoin the server if you have problems.

There are so many exploits in BF2 but thats partially what makes it fun ala Tribes 2.

Curry pot noodles give you the farts

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

24. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 13:04 Zathrus

I don't know where everybody has been playing

I'm reasonably sure that the ranked servers are required to let you use the weapons you've unlocked. If you're seeing this consistently, then there's a problem with your profile.

It's utterly silly that you have to randomly guess what weapon to unlock though -- there's no way to "try before you buy". I'm moderately happy with my first unlock (engineer), but I'm not sure what my second unlock should be -- presuming I ever get there. Utterly silly points system.

23. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 12:04 L0cky

I know how to fix the stats!!!!

remove the rankings

22. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 11:52 Eye 4N Eye

Yes...I've got 2 unlocks so far  
Eye 4N Eye

21. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 11:21 MEAHT

wow thats very weird, in the beginning i experienced this a lil bit, but i havent been on a ranked server that doesnt allow u to play with the weapons you have unlocked....this is a dumb question, but have you unlocked any weapons yet?
just curious

I don't know where everybody has been playing, but on the Ranked Servers that I play on the "Weapon Unlocks" are NEVER enabled.

20. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 10:08 Eye 4N Eye

oh, and one more thing, imagine, if you could unlock a weapon, and the weapon had even a bit more of an advantage over other normal weapons...what do you think is the result for someone who just purchased the game playing on a server full of veterans and pros? think about it

I don't know where everybody has been playing, but on the Ranked Servers that I play on the "Weapon Unlocks" are NEVER enabled. So on these sites the whole Ranking system becomes a moot point for game playing ....except if your trying to be the Commander, as a higher ranked person will take the slot but only if your not already in Command.

Eye 4N Eye

19. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 09:41 Overon

Look at the stats whores. Look at the top player scores. Look where they play. Look what they do. It's not difficult. The vast majority of exploiters are not going to have any consequences for their past exploiting. They only have to worry about it from now on.

18. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 08:26 MEAHT

Every single game with stats or character building (ex. World of Warcraft, Everquest) has problems, something so huge with so many people - is bound to have problems and a few bastards tryin to cheat the system, theyre selling virtual items for cold hard cash on ebay for gods sake!

oh, and one more thing, imagine, if you could unlock a weapon, and the weapon had even a bit more of an advantage over other normal weapons...what do you think is the result for someone who just purchased the game playing on a server full of veterans and pros? think about it.

3. so why is this worth it again? Sep 6, 23:59 Kukuman
it seems like the stats/ranking system has been plagued with problems. I will admit right now that I don't have BF2 (and no plans on getting it) but from what I've read here and other places on the web, they are spending more time fixing/babysitting the ranking system than they are actually fixing the game itself. not to mention all the complaints I've read about griefing in order to accumulate points, and the large amount of time it apparently takes to unlock weapons.

it seems to me like it just isn't worth all the time they are spending babysitting this system.

17. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 08:21 MEAHT

first of all, EA only distributes the game. second DICE Sweden (of BF1942) made BF2, they have a team who handles servers (IT department), they have a team who handles patches (programmers, play testers), then they have a totally different office- Dice Canada working on smaller projects (bf1942 expansion packs and BF Vietnam). so this problem wont be taking up any resources because the IT sever guys wouldnt go and try to make an expansion or patch the game up now would they?

there you go. who says you cant learn anything on the web

7. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 00:29 Kukuman
Why do people consistantly think on these boards development teams only work on one thing at a time?

You don't think they're stretching their resources at all? They're always looking for ranked server exploits, they're supposedly working on a patch, they're working on an expansion of course, and probably more that we don't know about. EA is a big company but they lack focus. Or rather, they do have focus, but never in the right area.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 08:22.

16. Re: No subject Sep 7, 2005, 08:16 MEAHT

2. No subject Sep 6, 23:46 DangerDog
They better not consider 24/7 SaK server an exploit, it's the only damn map in the whole game that's any fun.

AMEN.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 08:17.

15. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 06:43 Nexus

You cannot practically discourage something with human enforcement that's encouraged by the design.

14. Re: seriously.... Sep 7, 2005, 06:16  cliffski 

I'd much rather they gave me an option to turn off the patronising tutorial bullshit, than give a toss about people getting 'more points'.
who gvies a toss that some lonely 8 year old has a higher global ranking than you? its a game for crying out loud. big deal.

www.positech.co.uk

http://www.positech.co.uk

13. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 05:30 Gatzby

Stretching their resources? Maybe, with the expansion and all, but they have a variety of dedicated hosting companies as partners, as well as their customers, on the look-out for stat exploiting players and techniques. As (most) people don't want to lose their ability to host/rent a ranked server, someone is bound to report it... then it's just a matter of patching it. Well, "just" makes it sound easy, but you get the idea.

12. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 05:25 Mad Evil

fix the god damn game u fucks! >:(  

11. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 05:10 Tony!!!

Wow. A company works hard to improve the game and make it a level playing field for all that have purchased the game and some of you can do nothing but bitch about it?!!

....kids these days.

-Tony!!!;)

www.MonitaryMan.com

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

10. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 01:48 PointlesS

yeah I agree...the only stats I look at is my own...I don't really care what place I am in the world...I just like to see stuff like my kills and deaths...along with weapon stats and so on...I don't care if someone has a million points or not
This comment was edited on Sep 7, 01:49.

9. Re: so why is this worth it again? Sep 7, 2005, 00:56 Haki

well aren't you enlightened.

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 00:59.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo