Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Starship Troopers Demo

A demo for Starship Troopers is now available, offering a sample of the upcoming shooter based on the movie based on the Robert A. Heinlein book of the same name. The 450 MB download debuted on GameSpot DLX (registration required), and mirrors are now also available on 3D Gamers, 4players.de (Germany), ActionTrip, Computer Games (Romania), eXtreme-Players.de (Germany), FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, PC Gameworld, VGPro, and Worthplaying. Want to know more? Word from the read me is: "You play the role of an elite Marauder - the Special Forces of the Mobile Infantry. As High Command's precision strike tool it's your duty to spearhead the campaign against the arachnid menace. Whenever 'the going gets tough' Marauders are expected to lead the way!"

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Bleh Sep 6, 2005, 19:03 Tango

You're smarter than the bugs
I thought that was the problem on Clendathoo*

*(spelling, possible memory issue)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Bleh Sep 3, 2005, 08:08 human

It kinda 'bugs' me that the game makes you play as the footsoldier in a fascist dictatorship.

75. Re: Bleh Sep 3, 2005, 06:48 lazylurker

This demo is good and this game has the potential to be a great game. I think the problem is people are thinking of this game in the wrong context. Dont think HL think Serious Sam. Yes the weapons are weak and yes there are alot of enemies on the screen but thats where the fun is. Dont stand around, in fact never stop moving and always use the right gun for the job.

People say the game is too hard but they are not thinking enough. After the first wave of bugs attacks you are sent out to retrieve some items. dont just head out but be sure to gear up and maximize all your ammo before you leave. When you encounter the orange bugs dont use the pea shooter with unlimited ammo, that is only a knife/pistol substitute. hit the "2" key and let him have some rifle primary fire until he gets close enough then shotgun him with the secondary fire. Pick up all the ammo you find and if you see any black bugs dont waste ammo on them just use your pea shooter. At the crash site again dont just go for the objectives pick up the heavy shotgun and fill up on all your ammo. After the wave of bugs comes, kill the one orange bug with your rifle and then switch to the heavy shotgun for the rest. With that you can take out multiple bugs with one hit. Also dont forget about the explosive barrels, use them at the most opportune moment. once you get past this you can get past the rest of the demo just keep doing what youve been doing.

As for play style, dont back up into a cave and use game bugs to destroy your enemy, charge him and give him some shotty action up close. You're smarter than the bugs, if you see him setting up to lunge at you just sidestep him and unload. If you want to sneak around go play Riddick or Spinter Cell, if you want to earn citizenship then CHARGE!!!!

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 06:49.

74. Alittle off-topic but... Sep 3, 2005, 01:06 Animals for Crackers

The movie 'I, Robot' wasn't actually based on the book; it was a different script entirely (called 'Hardwired' or something like that), but they slapped the Asimov title on it for some name recognition.

Not too sure on the name but yeah that's true. There was another screenplay written for iRobot back in 1977 which was approved by Asimov himself, by Harlan Ellison which should be available at any major bookstore for any interested. It's actually a pretty damn good read in of itself, along with some tight illustrations. If the big A gave it the green light, then it HAS to be good right? For some reason, WHATEVER that could be (sigh)...iRobot ended up being just another run-of-the-mill turd in a box with more product placement than Asimov himself could've imagined in his own dystopian tales.

Will Smith might as well just go to Asimov's grave, unzip his skin tight crocodile-hide pants, and soak it yellow with the knowledge that he some part in completely liquidating a perfectly good opportunity to create the greatest science fiction movie never made. Cunt.

73. Re: Sep 2, 2005, 19:22 Rseman

Maybe you did make it.... and you're too damn embarrassed to tell us?...;P

72. hmmm Sep 2, 2005, 18:12 Shataan

Dated visuals. Horrible control. Triggers? So starts the de-evolution of gaming. If I had made this demo, I prolly would be too damn embarrased to release it.

71. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2005, 10:18 Creston

Someone here said you kill 10 bugs easy then nothing happens for 5 minuets. Which is a completely ridiculous lie. Why do so many people on this site have problems with simply telling the truth? Why do you guys feel the need to invent stuff completely out of thin air to try and make your ridiculously childish points? GROW UP.

Why do you continuously feel the need to bitch and whine about the fact that other people don't like the same games you do? We get it. You love the indie developers that produce titles that are different and won't draw mass appeal. Bravo. More power to you. Stop bitching about people who don't like the same thing.

It sure would be nice to not have to wade through so much crap on this site day after day just to get to a few quality posts.

Since pretty much all your posts are variations on the same theme (ie, I love this, all you guys are stupid, this is a great game) for about every demo out there, you're just as guilty of putting up crap yourself.

Damn Blue, where IS that ignore button?

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 2, 10:20.

70. Re: No subject Sep 2, 2005, 08:58 Riley Pizt

Minimum: 2.0ghz CPU, 512mb RAM, GeForce FX5900 or Radeon 9800 [800x600 with shadows], DirectX 9.0c, 600mb free hard drive space, Windows XP ONLY.

This kind of honesty is quite refreshing
What would be really refreshing is if the demo actually delivered good visuals and performance on that relatively steep minimum configuration.

69. I didn't try it. Sep 2, 2005, 06:11 Ant

It seems like too many negative reviews. I think I will just play Antlion Troopers -- http://antlions.hl2world.com/ instead!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

68. Re: Bleh Sep 2, 2005, 04:44 human

Since I wanted to get the most out of my 400+MB download, I tried it again. The previous bug where none of the further triggers happened? Apparently my mistake was I followed the other soldiers onto the ramp WHERE YOU END UP GOING ANYWAY. But apparently if you go onto the ramp BEFORE he tells you to, the trigger gets delayed and you never 'complete' the mission trigger.

This time it worked (about the 4th or 5th try). But it wasn't worth it. I ended up going into a tunnel with bigger bugs coming out. And uh, the only way to get by this would be to run forward, trigger a bug, run like hell backward into the tunnel and find the spot near the entrance of the tunnel where the bugs couldn't go any further, and just hose them down with bullets, about 45 seconds each. So we're back to DOOM tactics and DOOM AI.

Boy am I regretting downloading this POS.

67. Re: Bleh Sep 2, 2005, 04:35 Cutedge

Wow. I would have forgiven it if the game was a little bad, but damn.

Very unimpressed. I think the Starship Troopers RTS was better in terms of gameplay, and those of you that have played it know how much of an insult that is.

66. Bleh Sep 2, 2005, 02:00 Ray Marden

Skip it.

I was going through the tunnel until you get to the area with like five of the yellow bugs. I ended up backing up quite a bit, taking out the following swarm one by one. On my way back, I noticed one kind of hiding in a little alcove to the left and I charged it. I wondered if its body bits might have been covering up some ammo or something, why else put a single bug there, and I got stuck in the geometry. It looks like the ground slopes down just a tad and the physics will not allow me to climb it back up. So, what, three minutes into the demo and I have found a show stopper bug.

Nice.

Otherwise, I like the outward appearance of the levels and I want to get into the crazy, over the top world created in the movie (I never read the power armor books, but I though the movie was fantastic for what it was - this crazy spoof of a zealous war society,) but the rest of the game just is not there.

Same 'ol crap - very generic and some obvious issues. I have to click through resolutions (PITA on a 22" monitor that supports a million resolutions,) it still did not have the refresh I wanted, using the FMV from the movies completely takes you out of the game, there is a weird inertia thing going on with movement (but I am a stated input whore so you can ignore that one,) armor looks fine, but the character faces look terrible and like they are hidden in the helmets, lighting is generic, I have no idea what the hell that little skip of a jump is, weapons and grenades are incredibly weak, the sound is a little flat, the music is really generic, etc.

Bet on Soldier, though lacking the more stylized look, was better.
And it still was not good.
Passing,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

65. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 23:23 Parallax Abstraction

It sure would be nice to not have to wade through so much crap on this site day after day just to get to a few quality posts.

And yet you keep contributing to the very crap that you are so tired of of wading through. You're and idiot and no one cares what you think. Go back to Derek Smart's forums.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

64. Mabey Sep 1, 2005, 22:59 Cheese

Just mabey I'll pick this up, I did like the 1st movie but wtf was up with the second movie? it was beyond stupid and short. mabey thats a good thing. anyways theres been such a drought in games as it allways is in the summer that im willing to pick this title up. just for laughs
update: I wont be picking this up im afriad if I do the joke will be on me and i dont need laughs that bad. pass

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 23:06.

63. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 22:52 Grounded

wow this thread got gay really fast

Summary: This demo sucks

62. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 22:49 Semantics

By the way, what XBOX shooter gives you unlimited ammo, no need to reload and autocharging health?

Deus Ex 2?

61. No subject Sep 1, 2005, 22:34 Xero

Ya, ok enough of the stupid replies about this game. From my play time with it, it's a fun shoot em up game. What, were you expecting the next coming of Half Life 3 or something? ROFL idiots. Graphics are pretty weak with low polys though they bump map the fuck out of everything to try and hide it. Overall, not bad, not worth buying I don't think, though not bad.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Currently playing: FarCry 4, Max Payne 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm Alpha, Battlefield 3, Outlast, Red Faction Guerrilla

60. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 22:12 Geese

Oh, and if anyone was wondering what kind of game this is... You get unlimited ammo, don't need to reload, and get auto-recharging health. Yeah. Arcade XBOX shooter.

Hey hey...easy there fella. This was a nice debate about how shitty or not Heinlein and Verhoeven are and how shitty or not this PC game is. No need to try and drag XBOX into it. By the way, what XBOX shooter gives you unlimited ammo, no need to reload and autocharging health?

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio!
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

59. Re: I, Robot Sep 1, 2005, 22:11 Elf Shot The Food

The movie 'I, Robot' wasn't actually based on the book; it was a different script entirely (called 'Hardwired' or something like that), but they slapped the Asimov title on it for some name recognition.

58. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 22:09 Scottish Martial Arts

Why do so many people on this site have problems with simply telling the truth?

Why do you have so many problems when it comes to reading what other people wrote?

The guy said that the scripting seemed to be easily broken and that he couldn't get the script that continues the mission to trigger.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo