Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Savage 2 Announced

The Savage 2 Website finally offers the announcement of Savage 2: A Tortured Soul, a sequel to Savage: the Battle for Newerth the FPS/RTS hybrid from S2 Games (thanks Fantaz), and there's also a timely new Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Preview on IGN discussing the project. The website offers screenshots, info on the improved graphics engine, a gameplay trailer in three resolutions, along with some details about gameplay:

- More Control For Action Players
- Improved Melee System
- More Battlegroup Officer Based
- FPS Fast Action Paced Gameplay for Certain characters
- Third Person RPG Accessible GamePlay for others
- Better Items With More RPG Element
- Enhanced Spell Casting System
- More..

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Hooray Sep 3, 2005, 19:16 |DeMo| Just Mistress

by the way I put all the screnshots and downloads available at the moment on one easy to look at page here:
http://demo.clanvault.net/Savage2
Enjoy : )

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 19:16.

Demonic Monsters Clan for Savage: The Battle for Newerth and Savage 2: A Tortured Soul:
http://www.demo.clanvault.net
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Hooray Sep 2, 2005, 21:00 |DeMo| Just Mistress

I know what you mean Slylencer, I quit for ages too, came back about last month so just in time for Savage 2 really still kinda like that, lots of nice people but also a small bitter core who are complete assholes. hopefully they'll get kicked out of their parents' basements eventually anyway.

the new game looks like it will be good, I just hope they don't give in to those who want it released earlier than it should be and make it as perfect as possible the first time around. by the way if anyone here can make models well in 3dsmax please send me an email... I am thinking of making a Savage mod and only need 3 models or so

anyway.. YAY tell all your friends about this game..

Demonic Monsters Clan for Savage: The Battle for Newerth and Savage 2: A Tortured Soul:
http://www.demo.clanvault.net

43. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 13:43 SquirrelZero

That's a pretty damn good way to do it, actually. I'll drop you a line tonight, since the shadow technique still interests me. Our lighting model is far from unified, and i'm trying to wrap it up in a tighter package before we push too far ahead to make lighting changes. Thanks

42. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 07:01  Jason Morales 

The shadows are all real time, in order to make the leaves shadow properly, we're telling SpeedTree that the camera is at the light's position when we do the shadow pass, then moving it back to it's actual position for the rest of it. Drop me an email if you want to chat any more about it, I actually just finished with all the SpeedTree code recently, so it's fresh in my mind (jason@s2games.com). You can hit up our other programmer for more detailed info about the shadows, as that is his code (I'll give you his email addy, he probably doesn't want me posting it all over without his knowledge

41. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 03:39 SquirrelZero

It's a question from one developer to another. These discussions occur often on gamedev.net. You must think I'm asking them for code or something - haha. It's merely a question as to what shadow technique they're using there. I'm actually fairly sure it's just a shadow map, but I wanted to ask them anyway. Guess I should have expected to be trolled by random people by asking about it on a blues board, though. Sigh.

40. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 03:22 Fantaz

SquirrelZero, you expect them to give away their secrets? haha

39. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 00:36 Sty

We WONT leave older setups behind. For us, gameplay is the most important issue.

Spoken like a true saint.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

38. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 23:50 SquirrelZero

Hrm, this is a question for the S2 guys. I'm just curious here. I see you're using SpeedTree. I also noticed that you have such great-looking shadows for the alpha-textured vegetation (tree leaves). The nature of the fixed-perspective leaves is making it hard for us to create shadows. Are those precomputed shadow maps, or are you generating them in realtime? If so, what shadow technique are you using? This would really help solve a design challenge we've been facing in our development.

If it's a trade secret though, that's cool, I can understand your desire to protect it.

37. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 23:13  S2Jesse 

"Impressive graphics but how well will even the fastest machines hold up in a 32 or 64 player environment?

We're developing everything with that in mind. Obviously you'll have a good deal of graphical options as well but were shooting on having it run smoothly on pretty much any system savage 1 runs on with certain settings disabled. We WONT leave older setups behind. For us, gameplay is the most important issue.

Jesse

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 23:14.

36. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 22:05 Jaenos

Hey Look, it's Generic Zbrush Alpha Brush #2 on that creature!

35. No subject Aug 31, 2005, 19:32  Jason Morales 

Yes, it is our own engine, developed completely in house. We are not at all related to project offset, other than we're still friends with the guys.

34. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 19:12 SquirrelZero

Yeah, the graphics produced by the two engines don't look all that similar at all, at least to me. I never did play the original Savage. Perhaps I'll give this one a shot. It would be ironic if they consider Offset as competition now, though, heh.

Oh, shouldn't that Jason guy have a green background or something?

(edit: capitalized my I's.. trying to kick an Outlook habit I developed at my last job)
This comment was edited on Aug 31, 19:13.

33. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 18:06 Frijoles

To my knowledge it's a different engine.

Correct, as far as I know. Project Offset built their own engine. Savage 1 uses the Silverback engine. They threw it out and built a new one called K2, which is what S2 is using (this is what IGN says).

32. Re: hundred posts? Aug 31, 2005, 17:44 Radman

Savage was awsome, Savage 2 looks great, it is a new engine, and 1 year away. Hopefully will really start a trend for these types of new games.

31. Re: hundred posts? Aug 31, 2005, 17:24 Ihya

That's true, if we don't have a heated war on if it sucks or not no one is gonna be that interested in this thread and we won't get a 100 post count

So I heard Derek Smart is co developing and the new publisher is EA.

30. hundred posts? Aug 31, 2005, 17:09 Alamar

Well, you're not going to get this thread up past a hundred posts... unless...

This game is complete and utter crap... The first one was completer and utterer (sic x2) crap...

In all seriousness. I thought Savage was a pretty cool concept when I first saw, then tried it out. Wasn't quite the thing for me, but I liked where they were going and I think it's pretty cool they're making a sequel.

-Alamar

29. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 16:19 Ihya

To my knowledge it's a different engine.

28. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 16:19 Prez

Huh - I thought the first was a flop. Not sure exactly why; I guess it was just the lack of buzz. I'm glad to see it made enough to make a sequel viable.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 16:03 John

Cool, thanks for the reply, Jason!

Is it using the same engine as the guys doing Project Offset? The detail on the characters looks similar, thats why I ask. Also, what, if any, are your plans for single player?

This space is available for rent

26. Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 15:43  Jason Morales 

It currently runs well enough that we could capture that video real time on a high end machine with all the highest quality settings at a solid 60 fps, and we still have a fair amount of optimizing to do. The goal is to get it to run all the way down to a geforce 2 or so level card. (Obviously it wouldn't be as pretty, there are just certain things you can't do with older hardware).

Due to the nature of the renderer, rendering additional player models is actually not a big deal, poly count isn't where were limited right now. There weren't many players in the game because it's just a teaser

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo