Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Weeds has been an interesting new series so far, naturally enough the show's buzz is quite strong. The new episode was a little wacky though; there's something about the characters that doesn't always ring true, and last night seemed to exhibit that weakness throughout. Hopefully it's just a speed bump... five episodes is a bit quick to go and Jump The Shark.

Not Missing Links: Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play Time: QB Pass Attack.
Link: Bathsheba Grossman Sculpting Geometry.
Story: Dutchwoman, "world's oldest person," dies aged 115.
Anime, the Next Generation.
Science! Most scientific papers are probably wrong.
New Hydrogen-Making Method.
Diamonds are not forever. Nano of the day.
Image: Sickening Cute.
Follow-ups: 'Swift Boating' Science.
Antibiotics Aren't Always the Answer (registration required).

View
91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

91. Re: No subject Jan 26, 2007, 02:12 Gref

Seriously man I don't know what's going wrong. You need to get on the horn to Berlin, they need to stoke up the stoves and get some more burning going on. We need the storm to finish this, America is dieing for that enima.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

90. No subject Jan 26, 2007, 02:07 nmg

Man, Gref. Don't be such a tool. And how about that tsunami?

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 02:08.

NMG

---
Not Much Good

89. MORONS IN N.O. Aug 31, 2005, 09:51 xXBatmanXx

Classic - turn to God when man has failed.
"8:41 A.M. - Gov. Blanco and Archbishop Hughes lead the State O.E.P. in prayer. "We look to (God) for our care," Hughes said."

Where were you idiots when God was saying,
"Hay, I dont' think it is a good idea to build a city surrounded by water below sea level......hello....anyone listening?"

Man: "But God, we are going to have Mardi Gras and women will show us their breasts for plastic beads!"

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

88. Re: Looting Aug 31, 2005, 09:49 Tango

I can understand when your area's been hit, if you steal food or clothes, or other necessities. But to see those fucking dredges of the genepool walking off with TVs / CDs etc...
Yup agreed it's shocking.

87. Looting Aug 31, 2005, 08:54 Creston

If there is one thing that fucking disgusts me, it's fucking looters. I can understand when your area's been hit, if you steal food or clothes, or other necessities. But to see those fucking dredges of the genepool walking off with TVs / CDs etc...

Aren't we technically still at war? Can't we have the national guard use the wartime regulations for looters (Ie, shoot on sight?)

Right now we have policemen who COULD be out helping to save lives trying to protect some store's merchandise from the fucking looters. Just fucking shoot them.

Creston

For a man that resides in a country whose largest export is automobiles, I think hes should keep his fucking mouth shut about pollution.

Quality

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 08:56.

86. No subject Aug 30, 2005, 22:58 Tim

I think the Deutsch auto makes should stop producing cars for North America i'm pretty sure that would stop the hurricanes. I'm positive that they wouldn't need the NA market to be profitable. //sarcasm off

For a man that resides in a country whose largest export is automobiles, I think hes should keep his fucking mouth shut about pollution.

There was a time when America was a cohesive enough nation to boycott a company or even a foreign nation.

The United States and das deutschland share similar national issues, hopefully the younger deutsche leute will straighten things out. Time will tell.

P.S. I just got of the tele with my relative and her sentiment about what Jürgen Trittin said is one of shame and disgust.

edit: Duh, I probably should have mentioned that im deutsch.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 23:01.

85. Katrina Aug 30, 2005, 22:22 Bunko

Best wishes to all those affected by Hurricane Katrina. Everyone in New Orleans, Beloxi, Mobile and elsewhere: I hope everyone makes it through. Calling this 'our tsunami' is a bit ridiculous (I HIGHLY doubt the death count will be anywhere near as staggering) but the destruction is quite vast all the same. Check out the slideshow on MSNBC for some sobering pictures.

Us humans thinks we're pretty tough stuff. Occasionally Mother Nature comes by to prove us wrong. I doubt New Orleans will ever be quite the same. Here's to hoping that we scurry to rebuild and the aid floods in rapidly like the ocean that waters that cover most of New Orleans.

EDIT: http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/05/08/30/2255230.shtml?tid=99&tid=4

Ouch.

http://citizenb.com/ - Shameless website plug.
There are things that drift away like our endless, numbered days
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 22:30.

Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

84. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 21:14 Enahs

Same to you, buddy. I hope you realize its a double edged sword.

Yes…which is why if you notice I am not getting upset or heading down the immature direction of name calling *cough* as some people *cough*. Just expressing my point.

“it’s all good”

That's not a toy! “ –Frylock, “You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.” –MasterShake.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

83. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 20:28 space captain

You can believe whatever you want though.

Same to you, buddy. I hope you realize its a double edged sword.

Go forth, and kill!

82. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 20:06 Yosemite Sam

Yeah, I guess we'll have to stop shipping all those foreign aid checks to countries around the world, stop defending countries from invasion by terrorist or malevolent neighbors, stop shipping $$$ and supplies and help to every significant natural disaster in the world, etc. Maybe just turn into a hermit country and see where the rest of the world goes without us helping out, huh?

LOL warhawk if you are going to argue could you at least stay on the same page. WTF has this statement got to do with wasting of resources and global warming?

Yeah, because there were never hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or any other violent natural disaster before the internal combustion engine.

There were most definatly storms before but not as strong or as frequent. Earthquakes and volcanoes?!? WTF has that got to do with the price of tea in china?

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

81. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 19:48 WarPig

Marsh and wetlands soften the blow by absorbing some of the storm surge.

That's exactly right. That so called "worthless swamp land" serves a pretty big purpose when it comes to natural flood control, and not just for hurricanes.

-------------------------------------------------------
WarPig (the other white meat)

GO SEAHAWKS!

80. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 19:32 Gandhi

Yeah, because a marsh is really going to stop the hurricane

A lot of the flooding is a result of the storm surge. Marsh and wetlands soften the blow by absorbing some of the storm surge. The same way the effects of the tsunami last year could have been softened if there were similar marshes/wetlands (which did exist, just cleared away for human habitation, just like it was done in the Gulf Coast).

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

79. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 19:15 Warhawk

To blame the states for the hurricane is ludicrous. The entire industrialized world is to blame.

Yeah, because there were never hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or any other violent natural disaster before the internal combustion engine.

What you can blame the goverment for is the destruction of the wetlands around New Orleans that would have softend the blow, and the absolute poor preparation for dealing with the aftermath.

Yeah, because a marsh is really going to stop the hurricane. Last I checked, it was still a hurricane miles inland once it passed New Orleans.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the citizens of the US to stop wasting resources and abusing the planet like there is no tommorow, because there is a tommorow and it is looking worse all the time.

Yeah, I guess we'll have to stop shipping all those foreign aid checks to countries around the world, stop defending countries from invasion by terrorist or malevolent neighbors, stop shipping $$$ and supplies and help to every significant natural disaster in the world, etc. Maybe just turn into a hermit country and see where the rest of the world goes without us helping out, huh?

*** Warhawk ***

I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

78. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 19:13 Tango

This whole things is gonna be hella expensive to clear up. And have serious repercussions on the entire US economy, and thus the parts of the world which are particularly dependent on you guys.

77. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 18:51 Yosemite Sam

To blame the states for the hurricane is ludicrous. The entire industrialized world is to blame. That said the US administration ignoring and doing nothing about global warming is also ludicrous. This is only the beginning, you can look forward to more\stronger hurricanes in the future. What you can blame the goverment for is the destruction of the wetlands around New Orleans that would have softend the blow, and the absolute poor preparation for dealing with the aftermath. I feel for those people suck in the city, though most of them have no one to blame but themselves. Sure is looking to me like New Orleans is a complete write off, I do not see this city recovering from this. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the citizens of the US to stop wasting resources and abusing the planet like there is no tommorow, because there is a tommorow and it is looking worse all the time.

EDIT My best wishes to all those people.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 18:53.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

76. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 18:34 Enahs

I think you mean Venus.

Damn it.
It was just 2 weeks ago on here I corrected someone for making the same mistake I did!

Enahs, check out my earlier post. Here is a link to the source data.

See…you have the same problem as I was talking about earlier.
But, you also have a huge flaw in their scientific method.
They are developing a model to match what is happening. That is the equivalent of me saying “I can tell you what yesterdays lotto numbers where”. Big fin deal.

Developing a model based on some specific value to get you that specific value is meaningless. And using that to then say the increase of solar activity (or some other cause) has no net effect is still stupid and just plain bad science.

Time will tell, but nothing has changed. They are still so intent or proving greenhouse effect that they are using really bad scientific method to develop a model for it, then denounce all other explanations. And it still does not rule out the fact that the increase in solar activity accounts perfectly (within 99%) of the marginal increase in our global average temperature.

I am no climatologist(sp?) but I can recognize poor science when I see it. And I can also recognize the fact that ever since the predictions and models (which this one is hardly any different than those) they have been absolutely 100% wrong.

You can believe whatever you want though…as I have said many times pollution still needs stoping.

That's not a toy! “ –Frylock, “You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.” –MasterShake.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

75. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 18:24 Warhawk

To tell me that this ISN'T going to affect the planet is firstly ludicrous and secondly irrelevant -- at best we have rough guesses, but the ONLY safe course of action to protect ourselves is to make sure we do as little environmental change to this planet as we can.

Nobody here is saying "throw up your hands and do nothing", I'm saying that this hysterical fearmongering to draw attention to and raise money for your pet "save the planet" causes does nobody any good.

Pollution - bad

Clean air and water - good

Activists claiming the end of the world is near because temperatures rise 0.5 degrees (or whatever) and they cannot really say whether it is normal for the planet based on past temperature swings or not - fearmongerers

*** Warhawk ***

I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

74. Re: HI. Aug 30, 2005, 18:10 human

Humankind dug up a huuuuuge percentage of the oil that our dead dinosaurs had turned into, and within a century, have used up most of it. To tell me that this ISN'T going to affect the planet is firstly ludicrous and secondly irrelevant -- at best we have rough guesses, but the ONLY safe course of action to protect ourselves is to make sure we do as little environmental change to this planet as we can.

Not worrying about climate change is like the crew of a space station randomly making changes to their life support systems. "Oh well, it probably won't matter, the chances are small", they say. But what of the risks? The risks are huge. 6 billion lives are at stake. In this case caution is the only sane policy.

73. Re: New Orleans / Louisiana Aug 30, 2005, 17:16 xXBatmanXx

Part 2:
With varying degree of severity and varying specific location, this same event happens year after year after year after year, and Every year the headlines are the same, and Every year the same dumbasses move right back to the same beachfront property and same sunken cities where it happens all over again.

Yup, it is called Darwinism.
Anyone who lives in a city THAT IS BELOW SEA LEVEL ON THE COAST AND INBETWEEN A RIVER AND A LAKE, deserves whatever their gods decide to do to them.

Zero sympathy for those who stayed in the storms path and had the means to leave.
Call me what you like, but that is the way it is.

/edit: Obviously hospitals, etc are excluded. But come on....New Orleans?

/edit: It is now reported that around 60k people are either at the Superdome or are headed to the Superdome. 60K couldn't find some way to get out of town? sheeesh.

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 17:27.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

72. Re: New Orleans / Louisiana Aug 30, 2005, 16:49 FourPak

Evolution in Action - Culling the Clueless

Part 1:
- "Run! A Killer Storm is coming!"
- "Hm?"
- "Run!! A Killer Storm is coming!!"
- "Eh?"
- " RUN!!! A KILLER STORM IS COMING!!! "
- "Oh. So, what's on tv tonite..."

next day, CNN Special: Katrina's death toll leaves Gulf Coast reeling. duhuh.

Part 2:
With varying degree of severity and varying specific location, this same event happens year after year after year after year, and Every year the headlines are the same, and Every year the same dumbasses move right back to the same beachfront property and same sunken cities where it happens all over again.

91 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo