Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Joint Ops Patches

New Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising retail patches are now available updating the various international editions of NovaLogic's multiplayer action game to version 1.6.7.13. The update offers bug fixes and enhancements along with support for the Joint Operations: Escalation expansion as well. The 146 MB Joint Ops patches are available on the Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising Website and the 130 MB expansion patches are on the Joint Operations: Escalation Website. The patches are mirrored on 3D Gamers, Boomtown, and FileFront.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Aug 27, 2005, 12:26 Prez

The DF series has always been heavy on the sniper end since DF1. I remember ridgelines covered with nothing but snipers, which was hilarious. That and pixel hunting with SAWs.

The exact reason I prefer to play against the AI.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. No subject Aug 27, 2005, 00:45 DangerDog

Well there's a trick/hack to get a non ranked server to enable all the weapons in the game, not many seem to use it though and the ones that I have found don't ever seem to have any players on them, kind of odd.

The demo and 1.0 out of the box you could just edit a file to enable all the weapon unlocks for both single and (if you were setting up a server) multiplayer, the 1.02 patch took this away, you can't even use them in single player anymore, but again there'a a hack to get around it. People who play BF2 for competitive gamming don't care, none of the unlocks are usable in a match.

The ranking/stat system does keep most players on the straight and arrow, most people want their score to go UP not DOWN, eager for their next rank increase and weapon unlock selection to go with it.

People who decide to rent a ranked server from an EA approved service provider also have to follow certain rules, you can’t password protect a ranked server, you can’t run custom maps or mods on it, you can’t change certain game rules like minimum number of people you need for the game to start, number of tickets.

BF2 is still a great game despite these issues though, they really got the fluidness of player movement and the feel of the weapons down pat. Hopefully the 1.03 patch will be released soon (month or so, not *years* like JO) and will fix some issues with the server browser and gameplay.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 00:47.

9. Re: Some will say BF2 is better but Aug 26, 2005, 19:58 4D-Boxing

DangerDog:

I thought that only the EA ranked servers had weapons locked? I also thought that you had access to all the weapons on the servers or dedicated servers created by other player. ANyways all that to say I thought that server admins could set up games with all weapons unlocked. I've been so busy with work so I have not had the chance to check it out for myself but I thought I saw that in one of the press releases that was posted with one of the early patches.

8. Re: Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 19:19 Sty

This is because of the countless babies crying about the preponderance of snipers in the game.

The DF series has always been heavy on the sniper end since DF1. I remember ridgelines covered with nothing but snipers, which was hilarious. That and pixel hunting with SAWs.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

7. Re: Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 17:20 Hump

snipers had no scope

I think you're trying to say they removed the zoom ability for scopes so its more like battlefield. This is because of the countless babies crying about the preponderance of snipers in the game.

grenade jeeps and boats have UNLIMITED AMMO, no heat buildup and a large blast radius

they reduced the blast radius long ago. Also, boats and jeeps 'nade spamming last an average of one minute (same with snipers as a matter of fact). Gotta learn to use the enemy fire detection on your HUD and take those guys out. Nothing more fun than sneaking up on a sniper and sticking a knife in his neck

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

6. Re: Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 16:25 dubfanatic

I couldn't get the demo to run... Subsequently I've never played the game. Does it work now and is it any good?

It's better than BF2 but not by much. JO has been ruined by questionable balance decisions (snipers had no scope and heli pilots can't launch flares, but grenade jeeps and boats have UNLIMITED AMMO, no heat buildup and a large blast radius), awful netcode and virtually no community support from NovaLogic.

JO isn't worth playing anymore, unless you like getting spawn killed by grenade spammers.
This comment was edited on Aug 26, 16:26.

5. Re: Some will say BF2 is better but Aug 26, 2005, 15:45 Hump

The choppers in JO are really dumbed down, either a good thing or a bad one depending on how you look at it.

Lotta guys HATE the dumbed down choppers but anything that allows everyone to participate in the same manner is a good thing IMO.

BTW, make sure you get the expansion as it makes the game much more fun (tanks, smaller more focused maps etc).

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

4. Some will say BF2 is better but Aug 26, 2005, 15:29 DangerDog

I always enjoyed the way the weapons worked in JO, now that they've put the zoom settings back into the sniper rifles it should put to rest that complaint.

You don't have to play 60+ hours just to unlock a variety of weapons you'ld like to use in game, in some ways the environment feels more immersive, day and night (dusk) cycles, you can swim under water for example, just feels more like a "world" that you're playing in and not just a "map", I'm not a big fan of the jets and non stop artillery in BF2 either, JO has APC type vehicles but you don't feel as helpless against them in JO. JO is older now so no physics for the vehicles and death animations are pre-programmed, but in some ways that's actually better I think, you don't get instant killed by vehicles bumping into you (or getting out of them), they don't stall out trying to climb up a small hill. The choppers in JO are really dumbed down, either a good thing or a bad one depending on how you look at it.

I enjoy BF2, but I'm going to play some JO now too, if you don't have it you can pick up a copy dirt cheep now

3. Re: Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 13:06 Hump

I couldn't get the demo to run... Subsequently I've never played the game. Does it work now and is it any good?

I know a lot of the instability they had at launch has been long gone (it always ran for me though). As far as it being good, I personally think it's great. It's a different experience from Battlefield games as its more teamwork-centric. You can play lone-wolf but its not as fun as being in a squad. Some guys hate it, many like it (Novalogic has a huge core community, very friendly, many are real life active/inactive military people). Just give it a couple of hours to get used to the different feel before you make a judgement. Oh, and besides the usual MP gameplay modes it also has co-op missions.

You can also check out Delta Force: Extreme which is the original Delta Force re-made on the J.O. engine. It just came out a couple of months ago. The multiplayer demo is very similar to J.O. in terms of the weapons, interface, vehciles,, etc. so if you like that, then you'll love J.O.

- Jim Goad

2. Re: Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 11:41 sc4r4b

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=43526450

1. Novalogic Aug 26, 2005, 11:17 Hump

I'm curious to see what they come up with next. The engine used for JO looks like it would be capable of supporting a full blown military themed MMOG similar to WWII Online but, you know....fun.

- Jim Goad

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo